Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (6/30/14 - 7/6/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 501 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 586 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How to Combat Procrastination?

Fruits Punch Samurai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted BBB Banana's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to Combat Procrastination?

Being a procrastinator sucks I've been trying to chage myself and the only solution I can think of is will power.

I usually take 7 minutes to reach the bus station and I used to left 5 minutes before the bus left and I allways had to run, Now I leave home 20 minutes before the time.

And i used to do homework late in the night and in the next day I couldn't wake up for ealier classes but now i do them as soon as I reach home. And School projects were done 3 days before deadline. As you see is all a matter of will power.

Oh and making a time table is pretty important a study callendar as well.
    Last edited by BBB Banana; September 29, 2009 at 04:15 PM.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Erimia's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

stress and depression are huge factors in procrastinating, so a counseling might be a good idea

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I know that when it comes to studying I always found it easier to study by knowing what topics I needed to cover and then going down to the local starbucks. This way you don't have the opportunity to turn the TV on or surf the net or talk on the phone. Just go to the coffee shop (one that's not too busy) order a drink and sit there. The other important thing to do is you have to know how much you want to accomplish (ie set goals). I think that rewarding yourself for achieving your goal makes procrastination easier to manage. Every time you achieve your goal you should buy something for yourself or do something immediately after that makes you happy. I know after acheiving my study goals I'd go home eat something I like and watch a favorite show. Hope this helps...

Alan
    http://www.basinpipes.com

Fruits Punch Samurai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted BBB Banana's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Your teory is really good BP123 it's like training a dog lol but yeah that works really well. For me wining against procastination and finishing my school works make me really happy. Because after I make everything I can relax and be at ease.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

If you want to improve your life then it’s tempting to want to add more. One problem with this may be that you don’t really have the time or energy to do more though. And so your efforts to improve become short-lived.

Adding more and more just creates more stress and anxiety. Removing clutter and activities, tasks and thoughts that are not so important frees up time and energy for you to do more of what you really want to do. And as the clutter in your outer world decreases the clutter in your inner world also has a tendency to decrease. This has the added benefit of making it easier to actually enjoy whatever you are doing even more while you are doing it.

Adding more thoughts and thinking things over for the 111:th time may create a sense of security. It’s also a good way to procrastinate and to avoid taking that leap you know you should take. And the more you think, the harder it gets to act. Perhaps because you want to keep that comforting sense of security and avoid the risk of wrecking that feeling.

Thinking has its place. It can help you plan a somewhat realistic route to your goal and help you avoid future pitfalls. Overthinking is however just a habit that will help you waste a lot of time. It’s more useful to replace that habit with the habit of just doing it.

"The man who is at the peak of his success, and the man who has just failed are in exactly the same position. Each must decide what he will do next."

Jigoro Kano

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member steelwingcrash1's Avatar
    A place where KHR is number one - in my heart and mind!
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, the only person who can you combat procrastination is yourself. Yeah, yeah, this sounds too pedestrian to listen, but that's the truth. All other persons can offer you pieces of advice but the integral part is whether you will those pieces of advice or not.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Hidari's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not too sure if someone has mentioned this before, but you could try to get a few buddies to study together. They'll help keep you in check. Or if something in particular is a distraction, for example, your computer, then try not to be in the same location. That was what I did during my exam period last year ^^ But in the end, yes, you have to have the determination to do it. Just tell yourself, all it takes is just one action to be away from procrastination ^^

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shaheer's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

How to Combat Procrastination?
    procrastinate more, one day you will get tired of procrastination then (i am still experimenting this theory, and hopefully will get a result soon)

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shaheer View Post
    How to Combat Procrastination?
    procrastinate more, one day you will get tired of procrastination then (i am still experimenting this theory, and hopefully will get a result soon)
    On the contrary, I believe that procrastination is a bad habit - meaning it can not easily be broken. I think we cannot just get out of the system by getting tired of it. Great will power is needed to overcome procrastination.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs Up Re: How to Combat Procrastination?

Well, one thing is a method I found online called the 10*2 method. You work on something for 10 minutes, then take a break for 2 minutes. At the end of two minutes, work for 10 minutes of focused, undistracted work time. (and efficient.) Repeating this cycle will get you 10 minutes of free time and 50 minutes of work done per hour.

Don't worry I also procrastinate too, but not as much anymore because of this equalizing method I made up.(It's really simple.)

So today, I got assigned Current Events and Unit 3 on my Word Wise. ( You don't have to know what they are.)

I took 10 minutes to find how long it would take me to finish each of them.
    Word Wise: 2 hours.
    Current Events: LOL, show details:
    Spoiler show

So, it takes me about 1-2 hours to find and finish one current event. So (Lemme open up iCal real quick.)

So, I can do about 1 current event per week for 9 weeks. To make it easier for me, I can manage in on holidays. Since I have some holidays on the way, I'll do an extra current event on that day.

So, you see, procrastinating is mostly about managing your time wisely and motivating yourself. If you would like to know a bit about these two topics: Motivation Google Search, Managing Your Time Google Search.

Well, I hope that post helped you. If you need any help, please feel free to ask me!

Oh, and BTW, One Piece is epic!
    Last edited by OneClash; January 08, 2011 at 01:26 AM.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Usually the problem is to start with something, isn't it?

I haven't been to school for a while as I finished abitur this year and will only start studying next summer semester, so I didn't have to bother with this question for a while, but I thought that some kind of "ritualisation" properly is most helpful.

For me this means: Just start off doing something totally different, which still interrupts me from what I did before, and has a fix time limit. Such as boiling water and make a tea. It's easier than to start off right with stuff like homework.
    However, once the tea is done there's nothing I'ld be currently doing, so it's easier to start with homework at that point.
    Just repeating it a couple of times, already makes it some kind of ritual. It's way easier to follow such a procedure than the usual "Ok, I'm currently reading, but when I'm done with this chapter I'll certainly start doing my homework.", because that never works for undisciplined people like myself

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member silver_soul's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roflkopt3r View Post
    Usually the problem is to start with something, isn't it?

I haven't been to school for a while as I finished abitur this year and will only start studying next summer semester, so I didn't have to bother with this question for a while, but I thought that some kind of "ritualisation" properly is most helpful.

For me this means: Just start off doing something totally different, which still interrupts me from what I did before, and has a fix time limit. Such as boiling water and make a tea. It's easier than to start off right with stuff like homework.
    However, once the tea is done there's nothing I'ld be currently doing, so it's easier to start with homework at that point.
    Just repeating it a couple of times, already makes it some kind of ritual. It's way easier to follow such a procedure than the usual "Ok, I'm currently reading, but when I'm done with this chapter I'll certainly start doing my homework.", because that never works for undisciplined people like myself
    You know, I'd probably open the kitchen draw to find that I have no teabags, go to the shops and do all my other shopping at the same time only to come back feeling hungry. Then, after making an extravagent meal, I'd feel the need to relax and end up falling asleep, thinking I'll do it tomorrow. Same thing tomorrow, only this time, I have no SEMI-skimmed milk.

But I know what you mean, do a set of actions for long enough and your body will automatically form a routine. It's a pretty good idea. Worth trying.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure that if you try NOT procrastinating for once and you'll see the benefits from it, you'll eventually stop doing that bad habit of yours.

For example, NOT procrastinating will mean more time to sleep, more time with your girl, etc. I think those are pretty good reasons enough for you to quit that inveterate habit.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steelwingcrash1 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that if you try NOT procrastinating for once and you'll see the benefits from it, you'll eventually stop doing that bad habit of yours.

For example, NOT procrastinating will mean more time to sleep, more time with your girl, etc. I think those are pretty good reasons enough for you to quit that inveterate habit.
    The thing about such indisciplines is, that they have nothing to do with common sense. Logics only make an awfully small part of human behavior, many people are so to say forced to break their habits indirectly, including me.

Quote Originally Posted by silver_soul View Post
    You know, I'd probably open the kitchen draw to find that I have no teabags, go to the shops and do all my other shopping at the same time only to come back feeling hungry. Then, after making an extravagent meal, I'd feel the need to relax and end up falling asleep, thinking I'll do it tomorrow. Same thing tomorrow, only this time, I have no SEMI-skimmed milk.

But I know what you mean, do a set of actions for long enough and your body will automatically form a routine. It's a pretty good idea. Worth trying.
    Thanks ^^
    I guess that's solvable. Once there is a certain bit of discipline (happens once in a while, even fur students) just prepare everything so there is no return for the next time

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner EureKA's Avatar
    Country
    Ireland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by _Zac_ View Post
    Unplug the internet cable (or disable it if it's wireless). That usually helps me a lot.
    QFT. My education is entirely focused around computers and when you have an unlimited amount of crap floating around on the internet you are bound to get distracted a lot.

Unplug the cable is something to live by, seriously i should be working right now, Look at me!, I just can't help it.

New Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast