Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Combat Procrastination?

vs. The World. 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Hermie's Avatar
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to Combat Procrastination?

Hmm...

Eh, I'll post something here later.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the ideas will come later.

Aristocratic Assassin MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted LadyHatake's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm having a terrible time with procrastination. I have exams all this week and it's so hard to study I have papers I need to do too >__< Usually I can just get done and do things by making a list of everything I need to do, in order, but this week is just meh D:

I'm back :3

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah and I understood you tried to keep away from MH because of exams... since... a year ago?

wow. That is a serious problem indeed

Corporate 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member blai's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

"night-before-exam" procrastination fails and i fail with it.

enough said

*emo*
    You're not paid to think;
    A mindless worker is a happy worker,
    so shut up and do your job.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Assymilum's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHatake View Post
    I'm having a terrible time with procrastination. I have exams all this week and it's so hard to study I have papers I need to do too >__< Usually I can just get done and do things by making a list of everything I need to do, in order, but this week is just meh D:
    I try to like divide the stuff I need to do... Like, multi-tasking, you know. So when I'm downloading something from the web, I take that 1 hour or so to study and do homeworks. If that's not enough, then I'd come to school earlier do the rest before the class starts.

But on more difficult tasks e.g. projects, I would try to at least work on it little by little. I keep the files on my beloved computer, so whenever I got bored of checking the forums and when there's nothing to download, I can just always open the file and work on it, even though just a little bit.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

It actually works, i think, if you have this whiteboard that you list all your tasks. It's better than on paper since it's kinda bigger, and you see it all the time (provided you put it in a strategic location).

If the list is too long and it overwhelms you or discourages you (like it usually does to me), what my friends and I do, we put progress bars next to it. Filling the bars depending on the percentage done. Somehow when you see that you've done a little percentage of everything on the list it motivates you to complete the progress boxes. ^^

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ramen4ever's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to procrastinate a lot. Best solution is to put yourself through a test. Do you have the determination and constitution to finish the work? At that point I just do it. First step is always just sitting down and finding the first step. It get's easier along the way.

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually go and check what grade i have in what subject, and when i see my grades are going down i start to procrastinate like i'm doing now. 15hours / weekend or something... 3hours procrastination then like 1hour of random lulz and so on...

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Unplug the internet cable (or disable it if it's wireless). That usually helps me a lot.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

but then you find other things to do like... play the piano or some other music instrument and stuff..

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Been there lots of times baboy! If the net's are down and i got hw's to do or something. I usually sit down at the guitar for 5mins (i think) and then one and a half hour later it's like "oh shit!"..

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member notoriousnougat's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blai View Post
    "night-before-exam" procrastination fails and i fail with it.

enough said

*emo*
    This always happens for my last paper. Like yesterday.

I find it helps to take subjects you're interested in. Then reading the textbook is actually fun! Or cause I'm taking econs, I like reading blogs of famous economists to see if I understand what they're talking about (which I don't actually).

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ramen4ever's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I just realized that this entire "study corner" could be closed with one simple advice on how to study:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ihWymC6_Dw

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leen View Post
    I really need to learn how to overcome that habit. I found out that I am a last-minute person, so I tend to push everything towards the eleventh hour and cram for my exams and papers. I can't function well at all when I have 5 more days before the deadline.

That kind of studying habit becomes a problem because I know that I work better under pressure; Thus I tend to do my works really late and that often jeopardize the grades that I later receive. =/ When I have a computer in front of me, the distraction amplifies but if I don't sit in front of a computer while I'm studying, I'll fall asleep and accomplish nothing.

Procrastination is getting too much for me to handle. I keep putting everything to the last minute even though I know very well that there is no way I can finish everything within such a short span of time. Plus, I do not have photographic memory that enables me to memorize things easily. Not only that, I'm studying economics right now and economics is not something that you can master in 1 night. It is not like bio where you can simply memorize everything and regurgitate the facts out verbatim the next morning. Economics require lots of consistent reading to get used to the different models and to actually understand the concepts behind it.

See, I know my problems. But I just can't throw off this stupid habit of procrastinating (yeah, including making this thread instead of studying econ). Does anyone have a good suggestion to let me study more consistently and less distracted by my environment?
    omg.... are you me? you must be me.....

suddenly i begin to realize that this disease have hit much more people than i thought.

we had a course in the university that should provide us some learning methods. what i have learned is that you must separate the place where you are learning and space where you are doing all the other stuff. if you have a computer right beside you than you will have problems to concentrate. if you don't need the computer for studying than go into another room.

well, the problem here is that the most people just have one place/room for everything, like me. it's difficult to separate. there are many methods and i don't have the time to write them all down (maybe i will someday). organize the study should help. you write notes for yourself what you need to study and you force yourself to work them through. if you don't have the will than nothing will work.

people can concentrate for about 20 minutes. than we start to think about everything but study. breaks are essential here. every 20 minutes a five minutes break. one 20 minutes break after few hours and one big (1-2 hours) break for dinner. go outside and breath fresh air. do some sports.

if you start to think about random things during the work, than just write them down and put them aside. you will know in your consciousness that you deal with them later. i have not tried this part myself though.

that are just a few things that were us told. i'm trying to find a method for learning myself. i must test a few methods to see if they work but you know, i think they are quite bugging and time-consuming. as you see i'm a lazy bastard. ^^
    i try to force me through sheer will to study and it's not working quite well. you need a will made of adamantium. ^^ but you know that already. it's the fastest and safest method to learn but also the most difficult one, too.

i think i just try the will-thing...maybe it works. if not...than i have the learning methods though. peace and out from the study front.
    Last edited by Belisar; January 18, 2009 at 06:46 AM.

"The man who is at the peak of his success, and the man who has just failed are in exactly the same position. Each must decide what he will do next."

Jigoro Kano

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast