Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Mahou Sensei Negima

MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Mahou Sensei Negima

Title:Mahou Sensei Negima
    Genres:Action, Comedy, Romance, Ecchi, Harem, Supernatural
    Author:Ken Akamatsu
    Artist:Ken Akamatsu
    Publication:Weekly Shonen Magazine
    Start Date:February 26, 2003
    End Date:ongoing
    Number of chapters at review:208
    Number of chapters read by reviewer:208

General Overview: Mahou Sensei Negima is about an English 10 year wizard/genius named Negi Springfield whom, upon his graduation from magic school, is assigned the rather unusual task of being an ordinary English teacher in a private school in japan. He arrives to find every one of the 31 female students in his class are about as far from ordinary as he is. This manga is about his adventures with that class, and their adventures with him.

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art: 8
    The lighthearted drawing of the humor and ecchi scenes are, by far, the most well done I have ever seen. Fights are also extremely well drawn with rather fine detail, especially the attacks. The artist manages to make a 10 year old wizard look like a badass which is something I wouldn't have thought possible.

Plot: 9
    The plot starts off rather deceptively. For the first few chapters it reads like it's going to be a love comedy but after a few more it suddenly turns into an action shonen manga with romance/ecchi getting relegated to the background to keep things lighthearted and funny. Of all the manga I've read, this one is by far the best at combining ecchi with action. This is mainly due to the fact that, despite the large number of his beautiful students(who are around 16, I think)that fall for him, Negi is a completely innocent 10 year old. Since he's far to young to think about, much less understand, things like love and sex all the ecchi seems far more innocent and funny than in other manga's.

Characters: 7
    What a cast it's both diverse and fascinating. If you can think of a type of female manga stereotype, then odds are this manga has it. With a 3 out of 4 chance that she's in love with Negi. If a character is in Negi's homeroom class of 31 students, then she is likely a fairly deep character. If they come from outside the class then in general they are quite a bit more shallow but still above average for manga's that are heavy on ecchi themes.

Theme: 3
    This is really not a manga with grand overall themes. If I had to give one it would be "the value of friendship, love, and family" but even that is a bit of a stretch. This manga is fueled by events that relate to the main characters' pasts more than themes.

Originality: 8
    This manga is a bit like if you took every female manga character you can think of made them around 16 and threw them all in a class with a very young Harry Potter teaching it. Combine this with well over half of the class deciding they will train him to be their ideal future boyfriend. Then throw in some very cool adventures and you have this manga. It takes a whole bunch of unoriginal things and combines them into something unique and wonderful.

Overall: 8
    This is in my top 5 favorite manga's and my favorite magic themed manga. The fights are awsome and the humor is hilarious. It maintains a wonderfully innocent and fun tone but still makes the action about as cool as any I've seen, particularly in later volumes. I recommend this manga most highly to people who like Mx0 because they both have a similar fun loving atmosphere about them.

Spoiler: Manga's images taken from earlier chapters to avoid spoiler, generally the art improves show
    Last edited by Jammin; May 09, 2008 at 07:53 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Luckas's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mahou Sensei Negima

Thank you, Jammin; you wrote a wonderful review.
    I love this manga and I believe your review really capture this manga spirit/nature, and I really appreciate as you not only highlighted the many good points of the manga but also where it lacks as themes or the characters who could be a bit stereotypical.

It was for reading this type of review and help people knew new mangas that this board, "Manga Reviews", had been created. For this reason it is very important that the reviews are spoiler free to not ruin the joy of reading a new manga and so we created a "Proofing Area", where <Manga Reviews are to be released first so they can get edited and cheched>.
    Therefore, from now on, please remember to post your new reviews in the "Proofing Area". ~ Luckas
    I hope Jammin didn't mind I used the occasion given by his good review to make this little reminder to everyone
    Last edited by Luckas; April 09, 2008 at 05:14 AM.

Unconsciousness is my destiny, my joy but also my desperation.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member LegACy's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Good review!

Although I must disagree with the 9 score on the plot. Okay, the manga is reaally good up to the second big arc
    Spoiler: Future events in the manga show
    , but then... it's getting crappy afterward. I mean, the plot is just repetitive and boring. The main style is power up > fight > win > peaceful > lost > powerup > win > power up once more
    > lost again > power up > win and it goes on and on. I noticed it on the opening of

although I must give the characters a 9, he manage to pull off 30++ diferent female character!

Didn't I just talked about the reviews being spoiler free ~ Luckas
    Last edited by Luckas; April 09, 2008 at 06:09 AM.

MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Luckas
    Therefore, from now on, please remember to post your new reviews in the "Proofing Area". ~ Luckas
    I hope Jammin didn't mind I used the occasion given by his good review to make this little reminder to everyone
    Oops, my apologies Luckas somehow i managed to completely overlook that part. Thank you for pointing it out, from now on i will certainly use the proofing area.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member CupofDice's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Great review!

Negima was a very good surprise. I was expecting just a ecchi based story, but I love how the fighting becomes more serious (similar to Hitman Reborn). There is even some deep ideas in the festival arc. I don't think its been that repetitive, but then again I like the "power up > fight > win > peaceful > lost > powerup > win > power up once more". Of course Negima could be a good bit more decisive in his actions,
    Spoiler show
    I recommend this to any fan of fighting and ecchi mangas. It just keeps getting better and better.

This board is spoiler free. ~ Luckas
    Last edited by Luckas; July 09, 2008 at 03:11 PM.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply