Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Collective Reading of Planetes by Makoto Yukimura

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Collective Reading of Planetes by Makoto Yukimura

Collective Reading of Planetes by Makoto Yukimura

Hi. Are you interested on reading with others Planetes by Yukimura Makoto? Then you are very welcome to this thread.

Some days ago the project Collective reading of an Old (complete) good comic began. A group of members decided to participate, nominate and vote some old comics considered classics in the genre. In the initial thread of the project you can read what we have done during the last 2 weeks. The winner of the selection process was Planetes by Makoto Yukimura.

If you want to join us, you are very welcome. Planetes has 26 chapters distributed in 4 volumes. The chapters can be found here. We pretend to read:

Week 1 (March 16 to March 22) ------> Volumes 1 and 2 (chapters 1 to 11)
    Week 2 (March 23 to March 30) ------> Volumes 3 and 4 (chapters 12 to 26)

We want to share comments and impressions about this great manga. As we don't want to forbit the fast readers to advance as they pleases, and as nobody wants his reading spoiled with a comment about a non read chapter, we are following the next rule:

Quote Quote:
    In the first week, from March 16 to March 22, no comments about the content of Volumes 3 and 4 will be allowed.
    Please, we request you to strictly follow this rule.

(Re)reading classic literature is part of our current education
    and life on society. Why not (re)reading classic comics?
    Last edited by ukimix; March 16, 2013 at 05:04 PM.

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zehahaha's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collective Reading of Planetes by Makoto Yukimura

Finished reading the first two volumes
    Will post in detail my impressions tonight, have to study now

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zehahaha View Post
    Finished reading the first two volumes
    Will post in detail my impressions tonight, have to study now
    Hell, you are fast!!!!

Comment about chapters one and two:

Spoiler show

---------- Post added at 11:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

Second coment about chapters one and two:

Spoiler show
    Last edited by ukimix; March 16, 2013 at 05:05 PM.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I just come back from the library with the 3 tomes (yes they only had the deluxe version...) so I will join you soon. I hope there won't be to many changes between the English and the French.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry if I wander too much on this comments. I'm just making public my thoughts about the chapters as they come to me in my reading..

Comment on chapter 3:

Spoiler show

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

Comment on chapter 4:

Spoiler show

Comment on chapter 5:

Spoiler show
    Last edited by ukimix; March 16, 2013 at 10:15 PM.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member raDar's Avatar
    Country
    Sunspear
    Post Thanks / Like

Geez, I should catch up. I just read the first chapter though I liked it well enough, I don't wanna drop any thoughts yet. Maybe when I finish the first volume. See you later~

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Ukimix to sweettalk means to talk sweet (ie to say nice things) in order to obtain a favor.
    And I think there was something about Kurato in a recent chapter of Sket Dance.

I'm at chapter 4 at the moment and I really like the slice of life tone of this serie begining. I had read them a long time ago but it was still nice to reread them. Now I'm startingthe unknown part.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Well this is definitely something a bit different from what I'm used to read in general (lots of fantasy, shonen stuff etc)

This is quite realistic, and the characters are completely human like (meaning they act like me, you, any other human), there's selfishness, love etc
    I'm quite hooked up now, because it is different, but I still don't get what this is about. Lemme put it simply, in each manga I've read, there's a final goal, well while Hachimaki does have a goal here... The others not really. And that bothers me a bit, but meh anyway. The guy wants his own spaceship, good enough, but I don't feel it is a " GREAT GOAL ", compared to I dunno, let's say Luffy, it is nothing, he just needs some cash, a bit of experience, that's all... I don't think there's that BIIIIIG Challenge right here, but then again this is just the first two volumes anyway, a bit early to judge that.

The themes treated here seems so far political/sociological, slightly philosophical so far, which is quite different from any manga honestly. Reminds a lot of 20th Century Boys, although there's a slight difference and that is the predominance of the antagonist/protagonist scheme, while here there's not a single hint of that.

I think for someone who is used to read Shonen/Seinen that contains action and stuff, this is quite refreshing, once in a while it is good. But honestly I don't see myself reading a manga like this on a weekly basis for years

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Well this is definitely something a bit different from what I'm used to read in general (lots of fantasy, shonen stuff etc)

This is quite realistic, and the characters are completely human like (meaning they act like me, you, any other human), there's selfishness, love etc
    I'm quite hooked up now, because it is different, but I still don't get what this is about. Lemme put it simply, in each manga I've read, there's a final goal, well while Hachimaki does have a goal here... The others not really. And that bothers me a bit, but meh anyway. The guy wants his own spaceship, good enough, but I don't feel it is a " GREAT GOAL ", compared to I dunno, let's say Luffy, it is nothing, he just needs some cash, a bit of experience, that's all... I don't think there's that BIIIIIG Challenge right here, but then again this is just the first two volumes anyway, a bit early to judge that.

The themes treated here seems so far political/sociological, slightly philosophical so far, which is quite different from any manga honestly. Reminds a lot of 20th Century Boys, although there's a slight difference and that is the predominance of the antagonist/protagonist scheme, while here there's not a single hint of that.

I think for someone who is used to read Shonen/Seinen that contains action and stuff, this is quite refreshing, once in a while it is good. But honestly I don't see myself reading a manga like this on a weekly basis for years
    haha, you are a man of fights for solid objectives... As I see it, to want a ship is just seomthing that a person can pursue. I mean, the story seems to be about humand desires or dreams and Hashi's dream is just a case/an example of some kind of more general true. Doesn't that helps the purpose to see Hashi's search as a more solid one?

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Chile
    Post Thanks / Like

2 volumes per week, wow quite a read to me. Hope i will get free time to read them.

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    haha, you are a man of fights for solid objectives... As I see it, to want a ship is just seomthing that a person can pursue. I mean, the story seems to be about humand desires or dreams and Hashi's dream is just a case/an example of some kind of more general true. Doesn't that helps the purpose to see Hashi's search as a more solid one?
    Let's just say I like fantasy in general, epic fights and stuff
    I still remember when I was a brat, the manly fights in Hokuto No Ken : Kenshiro vs Raoh, Kenshiro vs Kaioh or Kenshiro vs Souther etc, Saint Seiya too with Shiryu vs Shura for example, and I still do like that, I like reading the impossible (although sometimes, I don't, best example is FT where I find the powerups in there too much)

Great fights, and great goals always get my attention

Hachi's goal is a solid one, I just don't find all that great, if he said I want to be the greatest astronaut out there, I could've been more hooked
    There's still something weird I find btw, when Yuri got the compass, there was something like " Help me Yuri " written there... Was it before or after the accident ? Found it a bit intriguing and perhaps a " hint "

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

There's still something weird I find btw, when Yuri got the compass, there was something like " Help me Yuri " written there... Was it before or after the accident ? Found it a bit intriguing and perhaps a " hint "
    According with batoto and mangareader's version it's not "Help me Yuri", but:

Spoiler show

"Please save Yuri". There was no time to write that after the accident, at least, not in this world :-)

Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    According with batoto and mangareader's version it's not "Help me Yuri", but:

Spoiler show

"Please save Yuri". There was no time to write that after the accident, at least, not in this world :-)
    Then was it before ? Guess it would explain why she didn't let him read what was written in the compass back then

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's just say I like fantasy in general, epic fights and stuff
    I still remember when I was a brat, the manly fights in Hokuto No Ken : Kenshiro vs Raoh, Kenshiro vs Kaioh or Kenshiro vs Souther etc, Saint Seiya too with Shiryu vs Shura for example, and I still do like that, I like reading the impossible (although sometimes, I don't, best example is FT where I find the powerups in there too much)

Great fights, and great goals always get my attention

Hachi's goal is a solid one, I just don't find all that great, if he said I want to be the greatest astronaut out there, I could've been more hooked
    There's still something weird I find btw, when Yuri got the compass, there was something like " Help me Yuri " written there... Was it before or after the accident ? Found it a bit intriguing and perhaps a " hint
    "
    Let me ask this, who in real life has an outstanding goal? If i look at the persons around me and myself, nobody wants to achieve something that would qualify as an exceptional goal. I want a steady job which can finance the things i like to do like playing piano, listening to music in general, travel and so forth. The people in Yukimura´s mangas are all like that, only that their goals are appropriate to their environment.

Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Let me ask this, who in real life has an outstanding goal? If i look at the persons around me and myself, nobody wants to achieve something that would qualify as an exceptional goal. I want a steady job which can finance the things i like to do like playing piano, listening to music in general, travel and so forth. The people in Yukimura´s mangas are all like that, only that their goals are appropriate to their environment.

There's people who have exceptional goals, if you hear someone says " I want to be at the top of this world " or " I want to be the best scientist, doctor " anything else, those are exceptional goals and great goals, or for example " I want to leave my fingerprints on the life of the next generations by doing something revolutionary "

They're both solid goals and great one too

New Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast