Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Real by Inoue Takehiko

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Real by Inoue Takehiko

REAL

By: Inoue Takehiko
    Genre: Drama, Psychological, Seinen, Slice of Life, Sports
    Serialized In: Weekly Young Jump

Spoiler: Info from Mangaupdates show

Anyone else read this series? I am a huge fan of Inoue (from my first chapter of slam dunk to chapter 208 of vagabond) and find this series to be another one of those hidden gems. I guess i should give the run down for those that havent read it. This is a manga loosely about basketball. I mean on the surface it is about a kid stuck in a wheelchair playing basketball and a guy whose life has gone astray but he plans to get it back on track and one of the ways is through basketball. However, underneath that, and what is more prevalent throughout the series, are the struggles of the characters. Most struggle with being physically handicapped but one struggles with being emotionally and mentally handicapped as a result of his mistake. I really love this series and would recommend it to all. However, this is not the kind of manga for people wanting a regular fix because it is release yearly (i think) in tankouban form. Omanga (omanga.net) is scanlating it and they have released 26 chapters of it.
    Last edited by Josef K.; October 31, 2011 at 03:27 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member conan's Avatar
    Country
    Jordan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: リアル (Real)

I think i'll have a look at this manga soon, I loved inoue's slam dunk, its one of the best really, the story is really good, and the suspense in the games too, the comedy is hilarious, and its about basket ball and charracter building.

I think slam dunk is a hidden gem too, and thanks for telling us about this, if its anything similar to his prior work and has the same touch, I think its great.
    "Fighting was the only thing I was good at,but at least I always fought for what I believed in",Solid Snake and Gray Fox.
    watch some of the worlds best martial artists show their abilities in this thread http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5582

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

This is really different from slam dunk. It shows his evolution as a writer and an artist in multiple ways but one of the important ways is that he makes an essentially basketball themed manga not about basketball and it is okay. The characters are the strong point in this series. While it was the same in slam dunk, slam dunk also has the exciting matches (the last one being the best in any sports manga) while real doesnt really

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member barbapapa's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

REAL is a great piece of work. I might like it even more than Vagabond, and that's saying a hell of a lot.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I just wished he would release it more often. I want to see how the para-basketball japanese team works out and how the afro guy's life plays out too. Then theres the captain of the basketball team, or former at least

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member barbapapa's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I'm just glad he continued it... He took a very long break from Vagabond and REAL some time ago; which comes as no surprise just looking at the way he draws and writes.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That is always good. He draws the characters so well and his stories are next to none. His covers are real are amazing. I just love his coloring abilities especially now that he paints them instead of inking them.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Slam Dunk is anything but a "hidden" gem as there are very, VERY few mangas out there that have sold better than it. Prior to the unstoppable sales monster that is One Piece, Slam Dunk was the ONLY manga that could compete with Dragonball sales in Japan. (Kochikame doesn't count!)

I haven't really been able to get into REAL though, I really want to but there's just not enough out.
    [size=12pt]<br />Want to give back to the community? Visit The Academy.[/size]

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

... Who said slam dunk is a hidden gem? I was saying that real is one of those hidden gems because no one seems to know about it here. I know just how well slam dunk has sold.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conan
    I think slam dunk is a hidden gem too, and thanks for telling us about this, if its anything similar to his prior work and has the same touch, I think its great.
    He said Slam Dunk is a hidden gem!
    [size=12pt]<br />Want to give back to the community? Visit The Academy.[/size]

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

OHHH *slaps self on head*

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Siedhr's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been trying to download Real from omanga and the http downloads are dead. Also, I found some torrents for later volumes on thehawks tracker and they have one seed (not to mention they don't have the first two volumes). So does anyone know of alternate sources of download? I'd really like to read this one. Slam Dunk is everywhere but not this.

Never mind, got it from lurk. For once, I got good speeds.[br]Posted on: 25 July 2006, 06:52:24_________________________________________________Does anyone have raws for the recent chapters? I'd really like to know what's going on.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I havent seen any of them. I hope omanga releases something soon.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Siedhr's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

I r teh winner. Persistence pays off (and some luck I might add).

Here's 27 raw: http://www.sendspace.com/file/n9zi46
    I also found 34 and 34 (I mean 35, thank you, Neo) over at jojohot, hopefully I'll get the missing chapters as well (28-33).

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

34 and 34? a treasure trove! (lol, just poking fun)

Nice find.

New Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast