Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Basilisk by Yamada Fuutarou & Segawa Masaki (v05)

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Basilisk by Yamada Fuutarou & Segawa Masaki (v05)

Thanks to Occasionalutopia and Lastfrost, I've been introduced to a really awesome manga / anime. What is it, you guys ask?

Basilisk!

I've just completed reading the manga. There are 5 volumes, and the art's awesome and the story's fast-moving and full of amazing action.

Anyway, if you're a Naruto fan, then think of this as a seinen version of that world - though it's based in Japan. There's ninjas aplenty here - each with their own special and mysterious ability.

Basically the premise is: in the Keichou era, the High Shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu has decided to arrange a contest between the ninja clans to determine who will be the next Shogun of Edo Castle ( Prince Takechiyo or Prince Kunichiyo ).

The shinobi were chosen as the chess pieces instead of the samurai families, because they were considered to be more disposable.

So the peace treaty was officially ended for two fierce rival shinobi clans, Iga and Kouga, which already had a lot of bloody history with each other. Scrolls were handed to each family containing ten names of the shinobi that must be defeated on each side for one family, and the prince it represented, to be dedicated the victor. And so the clash begins...

Not to be forgotten is the budding romance between Gennosuke of Kouga and Oboro of Iga that was rudely interrupted by the breaking of the peace treaty. Gennosuke, the prince of the Kouga family, has a mysterious, fearful doujutsu, that isn't revealed until later in the story.

Oboro also has her own doujutsu as well - bewitching eyes that can render anybody's ability ineffective. In all they would have made a formidable team - but will they be enemies, instead?

If you're interested, go download the chapters at http://www.mangass.com/?page_id=16 - or get most of the chapters at #lurk, and let me know what you think! ( Edit: This website seems to have gone down. )

You also can read them all at www.stoptazmo.com - thanks to Pheonixfyre for pointing it out. You can get the entire series there, you just have to register.

WARNING: Nudity and Lots of Violence.

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄) 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity njt's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Basilisk Discussion Thread

Ah, I haven't read the manga, tho- I've been following the Anime . It really does, rock- You should check out the Anime GK it's amazing . That is... when you get your BB back .
    Serizawa: But it's really heartwarming to see such good guys - perhaps not as good as we wanted, translation-wise, but their hearts are already grade A
    If you see a mistake in my translations, let me know! Thanks Click a frog to see my Resume!!

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen the first episode of the anime and I agree - the animation is stellar. I decided to read the rest of the manga before downloading any more episodes, tho.

And yeah, now that my BB is down, it'll be a little while.

Oh, and people, if you want to talk about specific happenings that might be considered spoilers (say who killed whom) please have the courtesy of putting it in spoiler tags and mentioning where you are at in the series.

For example:

Spoiler: Chapter 1 Question show

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Post Thanks / Like

basilisk is an awesome anime, I've not checked out the manga yet, so just wondering if anyone who has watched/read the bulk of both series felt like quickly letting me know whether they are pretty similar in plot or actually differ?

judging from that cover the art looks very nice so I'll probably read it just for that
    <br /><br />&lt;Draggy&gt; instead of posting the KF codes in KF server, I poseted that fucking I love pron quote<br />&lt;Draggy&gt; &gt;_&lt;<br />&lt;Draggy&gt; kill me now

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

The art in the manga is amazing, but I haven't watched enough of the Basilisk anime to know if they're any different. Only watched the first episode. Though there was a difference there in that we learned more about Iga No Ogen and Kouga Danjo's past with each other. Lastfrost should know, though, I'll ask her to comment here sometime soon.

Still, I'd recommend reading the manga just for the heck of it - and for the art.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh wow I can't wait! I saw the first episode of the anime at a con and I've been dying to see it ever since. However, I can't seem to find it anywhere. I don't know if you're allowed to name fansub groups on the forum, so could someone please pm me the fansub group where you've gotten it from? I'd be so grateful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moridin
    basilisk is an awesome anime, I've not checked out the manga yet, so just wondering if anyone who has watched/read the bulk of both series felt like quickly letting me know whether they are pretty similar in plot or actually differ?

judging from that cover the art looks very nice so I'll probably read it just for that
    I've watched the full anime series, and have read as far as the scanlations group have completed, so I can't say for certain, but up to where I am, the anime did follow the manga very closely. As GK said, there is some anime filler, but with or without it, it's still enjoyable (there are a few minor, non-filler changes I've noticed though). The details in the manga are indeed amazing, and I do think you will enjoy it.

Oh, and there is nudity in the manga. It's covered up in the anime. ^^;;;
    My avatar was made by fracturedstory! http://www.livejournal.com/users/fracturedstory/

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

The manga has a total of 5 volumes.
    The story is really great and the character design is also appealing.
    What I really like is that the story is quite mature, especially the ending. This is no "happy nice world" story which I find interesting.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like I'm almost to the end, then. I'm on chapter 30, but that's all #lurk offers. If Volume 5 follows the same pattern as the first four volumes (containing 6-7 chapters) then I'm missing at least two or three chapters. Any idea where I might be able to read the last few chapters, Miso?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

www.stoptazmo.com

It has all sorts of mangas, including Basilisk. Its free to register, and you can just ignore all the propoganda they're spouting about Tazmo.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Aha! Didn't think of checking there. Much appreciated, Pheonixfyre.

And I've finished it. Such a bittersweet ending, but overall a great read, worth it.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Knight
    Looks like I'm almost to the end, then. I'm on chapter 30, but that's all #lurk offers. If Volume 5 follows the same pattern as the first four volumes (containing 6-7 chapters) then I'm missing at least two or three chapters. Any idea where I might be able to read the last few chapters, Miso?
    #lurk also offers the last chapters of vol 05. Just use the "search" button. Or look at www.stoptazmo.com, as already suggested.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Miso. ^^

I'm definitely intending to watch the anime soon, as well... ah well, here's some questions for you guys:

Favorite Character?
    Favorite point in story? (spoiler tags)
    Favorite battle? (spoiler tags)
    Biggest surprise to you? (spoiler tags)

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

My fav character is Kouga Gennosuke. He's a good looking guy...hehe...besides the weird eyelashes but that seems to be the Mangaka's style.
    I also like Kouga Hyoma.

My favourite scene :
    Spoiler show

Biggest surprise:
    Spoiler show

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Gennosuke's definitely my favorite as well. I also kinda liked Asaragi Saemon.

Favorite scene:
    Spoiler show

Biggest surprise:
    Spoiler show

New Reply
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast