Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: First Clean

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

First Clean

I have been browsing Manga Helpers for a little while now, the tutorials have been very helpful in learning how to clean manga. So I thought I would post my first real attempt at cleaning a manga page.
    This is just a single page since I would rather have you opinions on any improvements I could make before I attempt the rest.
    Anyway here are the links:

Raw:
    Raw Link

Cleaned:
    Cleaned Link

I also attempted replace some the screentones on the cape and sword. There not perfect.
    Screentones:
    Screentones Link

If anyone wants to look at the PSD I will upload it.
    Anyway thanks for taking a look. Any improvements I could make or mistakes I could fix would be greatly appreciated.

~ Commander

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted hatsuharupeace's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First Clean

Hey, welcome to MH Commander!!!

Nice clean, not too over-leveled, not too under-leveled, I would say about a MQ clean there. Nice work!!! On improvements.... I dunno really, maybe try and experiment with the leveling, see if there are any nice changes.

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member chiresakura's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Good start! There are a few things to point out, though. First, your raw image has already been leveled. So when you further leveled the image, you over-did it a little. If you want to bump the black slider a touch, that's probably okay, but I wouldn't touch the white much.

I'm not terribly familiar with art like this with a ton of messy gray tones, but I think your best bet might be to use the High Pass sharpening filter to bring out the black lines in this page. Since the size of the raw is small (1200px-ish) I would set the High Pass filter to 5 px-ish radius and the Blur to 1.7 px-ish.

Using levels (without filters or denoise programs) to clean everything usually results in over-leveling.

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member mathi36's Avatar
    Country
    Switzerland
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey chiresakura,
    your tutorial really looks great now!! Reminds me of the days when I was learning how to clean using your site^^
    thanks a lot for your help back then!

@Commander:
    really good clean for your first time!! I think you slightly overleveled the page. Take a look at the borders of the cape thingy and the hairs, it somehow looks a bit too pixelated for me there.
    And the lower part of the left bubble's a bit damaged I'd say.

As for filters and denoising programms, I can't tell you sth. I never used any, and I've to say that you can do without them!!
    The #1 Movement will never die!

New Reply