Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 66 of 121 FirstFirst ... 16 56 64 65 66 67 68 76 116 ... LastLast

Thread: Hajime no Ippo by Morikawa Jyoji

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member sabret00the's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hajime no Ippo by Morikawa Jyoji

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes View Post
    I'll confess my eyes looked at the icon under your username. But I fail to see how that makes my knowledge of history any less accurate.

It's not just making Apollo racist in Eyeshield21. In the last arc, they also made Don a bit of a racist, and an ass. They also made Clifford an ass. And they also made Bud and Tatanka asses. They made every single American who was not panther an ass. That's a rather racist depiction of Americans, don't you agree?

His name was Jason Ozuma. For some reason I don't think he was fully American.

But anyway, we are getting off topic. I think this manga is a little racist. I think most manga are very racist when talking about the US. Nothing I can do about it. It's part of their culture, and the US kind of erased two of their cities from existence, so it's not entirely unjustified. But it bothers me that in Japan people can get away with doing that.

In the United States or in Canada, no comic would ever be so blatantly racist. And if it was, there would be thousands of protests about it. Because people have nothing better to do. But it's just so common in mangas for them to be racist towards americans that it kind of bothers me a little.

Back to the manga, I think I'll catch up with the current chapters in a week.
    So you hate the way that it's fundamentally OK in Japanese media and in fact culturally to rag on westerners and depict them as ignorant racists. However you don't hate the way that 98% of orientals are depicted in Western media as heavy accented, pretty to look at/martial art masters? Seriously, jump off the high horse.
    *Have you taken a look at Onepunch-Man? You should consider it, it's a great manga!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
    So you hate the way that it's fundamentally OK in Japanese media and in fact culturally to rag on westerners and depict them as ignorant racists. However you don't hate the way that 98% of orientals are depicted in Western media as heavy accented, pretty to look at/martial art masters? Seriously, jump off the high horse.
    Um, for one thing I don't think being represented as Mr.Miyagi is as bad as being represented as an asshole.

Also, I never mentioned I didn't hate that. It's just that I think the way manga depicts the west is, in my opinion, much worse than the way western media represents the east.

I mean, I personally would rather be represented as a Mr.Miyagi badass than as a racist loser.
    Last edited by Sherlock Holmes; June 19, 2009 at 05:33 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I began reading Hajime no ippo recently...So let me ask you guys who are up to date one thing.

So far(I'm in chapter 292) everybody and their mother seems to be able to seal the Dempsey Roll. Seriously. Every single freaking person. Does that get better as the manga goes on, or do people just keep sealing it?
    he stopped using it because of that and the strain on his body. I suspect he may use it again later on but it is a "forbidden move" right now.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

volume 64 here. Ippo's seventh defence was....um....
    ...boring as hell. But Itagaki's fight was beyond awesome.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member tenebrae's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I just wish that ippo would get on with moving past the japanese title already. But oh well this next guy took the title in 3 fights he's gotta be good meaning two things a good fight for us to see and hopefully improvement for ippo.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member BlitzRonin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

This is probably going to be his last fight with the Japanese belt around his waist... so you will get your wish I think.

On the tank cover that came out a year or so back the three champs were already on it... this Tarzan guy is the last national champ he has to fight I think before he moves onto the next level. Then he will vacate the belt and the winner of the Class A Tourney will be the champ... so that will probably be Itagaki. It will all work out.

Just a matter of what title Ippo is going to go after... the OPBF... WBA Asian Championship... the WBA or WBC Feather titles themselves? Who knows.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sachsenhesse's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

he goes straight to martinez like sendo, so a mexican will ne foddered

but after reading the new raw... argh damn an itagakistyleboxer, i knowed that ippos talk with itagaki where he says what the difference between these two is, is foreshadowing

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member sabret00the's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Has he really thought all of the champions in the OPBF? If so, and Goku really is the last one, then he should already have a top ten world ranking and this is about cementing a title shot. That said, it really feels too soon to me for him to be going after a title shot. Has Miyata moved up a weight yet? Is so, i foresee Ippo grabbing that belt and using the momentum to go after the title shot.
    *Have you taken a look at Onepunch-Man? You should consider it, it's a great manga!

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

actually ippo is already ranked as 7 in the wbc so he could made a match with martinez already, but before that i think he will fight some overseafighter

the only one from our friends i see challenging ricardo in a short time is sendo ^^

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member bellcrossage's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sachsenhesse View Post
    actually ippo is already ranked as 7 in the wbc so he could made a match with martinez already, but before that i think he will fight some overseafighter

the only one from our friends i see challenging ricardo in a short time is sendo ^^
    Ippo won't fight Martinez. Sendo will. Sendo has been planning on going against Martinez, since he's been fighting Mexicans lately. Ippo already knows what to expect from Martinez anyway. Besides, he'll still be in-region even after Sendo fights Martinez.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this manga is a little racist.
    I'm assuming you think that because of the way they had Bryan Hawk act like such an ass, but if you remember right after that they had David Eagle who was a splendid boxer who didn't cheat at all. They showed both sides of America showing that it has good and bad people like any other country.

And about the soldiers. I'm sure there were soldiers that acted like after the war.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

after seeing the newest raw i believe that ippo will destroy his enemys boxing career O.o that guy was probably never really hit and then fighting against ippo? this will be an oneshotkill

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sachsenhesse View Post
    after seeing the newest raw i believe that ippo will destroy his enemys boxing career O.o that guy was probably never really hit and then fighting against ippo? this will be an oneshotkill
    Nah, it's Ippo.
    He first has to angst like 6 rounds about how the monkey-boy is too fast/agile to hit.
    Then in the end he'll have some sort of revelation based on the movement of monkeys or something, gets one or two hits in and wins.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by a_nevels666 View Post
    Nah, it's Ippo.
    He first has to angst like 6 rounds about how the monkey-boy is too fast/agile to hit.
    Then in the end he'll have some sort of revelation based on the movement of monkeys or something, gets one or two hits in and wins.
    LIS. So true so true. It will be epic since we haven't seen Ippo fight for a LONG time and a short and sweet fight is not gonna cut it especially the "build up" of this new prodigy. I think it will also put Manabu "in place" since he is getting too arrogant for his own good and seeing Ippo pwn someone like him will do Manabu good.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

It might actually help Itagkai *finally caught up*

Since Itagaki is going to be up against faster opponents, he might learn from ippo what he needs to do.

New Reply
Page 66 of 121 FirstFirst ... 16 56 64 65 66 67 68 76 116 ... LastLast