Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anime Recommendation Thread

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Azurel's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Anime Recommendation Thread

Activity in the anime section is slowly picking up and I think it's high time that we have our very own recommendation thread. If you want to share any of your favourites or new series that you absolutely love, start posting here!

-------------------------------------------------

Title: Name of the Anime you want to recommend.

(picture/trailer is optional)

Producers: The company that produces the anime.

Summary: Explain what the story's about, but remember to avoid spoilers.

Type: TV series, OVA or movie.

Details: Genre, No. of episodes, Status (currently airing/finished airing), and anything else that comes to mind.

Why You Recommend It: Be sure to comment on the animation, art style, and plot.

Where to Get It: Help others know how to get it here, by providing the torrent, direct download or streaming links.

-----------------------------------------------------

Lastly, if you want to discuss about the animes recommended here,you can always talk about it at Anime Hangout or feel free to start your own Discussion thread.

P.S This post is adapted from Nami's post which is adapted from GK's post.
    Last edited by destiny4ever; August 17, 2010 at 02:50 PM.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted hatsuharupeace's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anime Recommendation Thread

Lemme have the first recommendation!!!

Title: Gundam 00

Producers: Sunrise

Summary: (From Anime News Network): It is the year A.D. 2307. Fossil fuels on Earth have been depleted entirely, with mankind turning to the next available power source: solar energy. During this time, 3 orbital elevators with solar power generation systems are built, each under control by the Union of Solar Energy and Free Nations (formerly United States of America), the Human Reform League (Russia, China and India) and the Advanced European Union. However, not all countries are able to enjoy the benefits of this system, leading to widespread resentment and war. Arising out of the conflict, a mysterious military organization known as Celestial Being appears, dedicated to end all warfare using Mobile Suits called Gundam. This begins the stories of Gundam Meisters (pilots) Setsuna F. Seiei, Lockon Stratos, Allelujah Haptism and Tiera Erde as they are thrown into conflict between the 3 superpowers and the various other factions.

Type: TV Series

Details: Genre - Mecha, Action, Drama, Science Fiction
    No. of Episodes - Season 1: 25, Season 2: ?

Why You Recommend It: Arguably the best Gundam series as of yet, Gundam 00 brings in many new elements to the Gundam World, while still keeping various older styles and ideas. The plot line is rich with story and depth, the characters complex while simple, and the animation is clean and very well done, as it is one of the first animes to be aired in HD.

Where To Get It: For HQ subs, go to Menclave's main website to find their Gundam releases, otherwise, check out TokyoTosho or Animesuki for torrent downloads.

Title: Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei

Producers: SHAFT

Summary: (From Anime News Network): Itoshiki Nozomu is the world's most negative person. To his way of thinking, there is no hope or meaning in this existence. Even the three kanji of his name become the two-kanji word zetsubou, "despair", when compressed. What an ironic twist of fate, then, that he becomes teacher to a class containing his precise opposite, the invincibly positive-minded Fuura Kafuka.

Details: Genre - Drama, Slice of Life, Comedy
    No. of Episodes - 12

Why You Recommend It: A comedy anime, Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei is full of laughter, from Zetsubo Sensei trying to commit suicide, to Kafuka's positive views of everything. The plot line is very basic, which is about Zetsubo Sensei trying to teach his class how everything is hopeless and that you can get nowhere. The animation is simple, but elegant, and the music is unique, from the opening to the background music.

Where To Get It: Check out TokyoTosho or Animesuki for torrent downloads.
    Last edited by hatsuharupeace; April 17, 2008 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Artists of MH 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

You can also get Gundam 00 on Shinsen-subs website, first tracker and then "Kido Senshi Gundam".

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted hatsuharupeace's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

You mean Shinsen Subs??? People, if you want QUALITY Gundam 00, and that's what you should be watching it in, go to the Menclave website.

No bashing. Edited. ~ Luckas
    Last edited by Luckas; April 18, 2008 at 03:41 AM.

MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Title: Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7-3r...eature=related

Producers: FUNimation EntertainmentL, Silver Link

Summary: (From MAL)

The story centers around Akihisa Yoshii, the "baka" of the title. His academy rigidly divides up the student body into classes based on the results of tests. The prodigies are in the A class with reclining seats complete with air conditioning, but Akihisa is in F class, the lowest rung of the school ladder which is furnished only with low, decrepit tables and worn-out straw tatami mats. A girl named Mizuki Himeji is actually one of the smartest girls in Akihisa's sophomore year, but she had a fever on test day and was pigeonholed into the F class. Besides Mizuki (who Akihisa secretly adores), the F class also has Yuuji Sakamoto, the class president who has been Akihisa's friend and partner-in-crime since the freshman year.

The school happens to have developed experiments to summon fantasy creatures, and Akihisa decides to rally F class to take on the higher-tiered classes and seize their perks. The F class uses the summoned creatures in an all-out battle for school supremacy

Type: TV series

Details: (From MAL and ANN)

Type: TV
    Episodes: 13
    Aired: Jan 6, 2010 to Mar 31, 2010
    Genres: Comedy, School, Super Power, Fantasy, Romance
    Duration: 24 min. per episode
    Rating: PG-13 - Teens 13 or older

Why You Recommend It:

It is one of my favorite anime series. I absolutely love it! It has a bit of everything; there is romance, drama, suspense, friendship, action and of course comedy!! There wasn’t a single episode of this anime that I didn’t have fun or rolf. This anime is so epically hilarious!!! All the characters are so funny in their own way. So when all of them combine their LOL powers the result is tons of laughs. The funny moments come from different sources but all of them are awesome.

The animation, the music and the story are also pretty good.

Where to Get It: You can watch it here
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan!

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    The Original 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Thread revival-no-jutsu

Title: Eureka Seven AO

Producers: BONES

Summary: Ao, the son of Eureka, lives on Okinawa. He comes into contact with Mark 1, which turns out to be Nirvash, his mother's mecha, which no one has been able to make it work since his mother used it. Ao ends up joining an organization called Generation Blue with Nirvash and helps fights G-Monsters/Secrets.

Details: Genre : Sci-Fi, Action, Fantasy - No. of episodes : 24, Status (currently airing Episode 22)

Why You Recommend It: Probably the best anime I watched this season. The animation quality is great. Lovely character designs, addicting BGM and complimented by an intelligent plot. I loved it more than I have loved the prequel Eureka Seven. I thought it was stretched too much. However, AO is done right, with total 24 episodes. I will highly recommend it, especially for the fans of previous Eureka Seven. I would rate it 9/10 at least.
    Last edited by naruto-niichan; October 01, 2012 at 08:34 AM.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hatsuharupeace View Post
    Lemme have the first recommendation!!!

Title: Gundam 00

Producers: Sunrise

Summary: (From Anime News Network): It is the year A.D. 2307. Fossil fuels on Earth have been depleted entirely, with mankind turning to the next available power source: solar energy. During this time, 3 orbital elevators with solar power generation systems are built, each under control by the Union of Solar Energy and Free Nations (formerly United States of America), the Human Reform League (Russia, China and India) and the Advanced European Union. However, not all countries are able to enjoy the benefits of this system, leading to widespread resentment and war. Arising out of the conflict, a mysterious military organization known as Celestial Being appears, dedicated to end all warfare using Mobile Suits called Gundam. This begins the stories of Gundam Meisters (pilots) Setsuna F. Seiei, Lockon Stratos, Allelujah Haptism and Tiera Erde as they are thrown into conflict between the 3 superpowers and the various other factions.

Details: Genre - Mecha, Action, Drama, Science Fiction
    No. of Episodes - Season 1: 25, Season 2: ?

Why You Recommend It: Arguably the best Gundam series as of yet, Gundam 00 brings in many new elements to the Gundam World, while still keeping various older styles and ideas. The plot line is rich with story and depth, the characters complex while simple, and the animation is clean and very well done, as it is one of the first animes to be aired in HD.

Where To Get It: For HQ subs, go to Menclave's main website to find their Gundam releases, otherwise, check out TokyoTosho or Animesuki for torrent downloads.

Title: Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei

Producers: SHAFT

Summary: (From Anime News Network): Itoshiki Nozomu is the world's most negative person. To his way of thinking, there is no hope or meaning in this existence. Even the three kanji of his name become the two-kanji word zetsubou, "despair", when compressed. What an ironic twist of fate, then, that he becomes teacher to a class containing his precise opposite, the invincibly positive-minded Fuura Kafuka.

Details: Genre - Drama, Slice of Life, Comedy
    No. of Episodes - 12

Why You Recommend It: A comedy anime, Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei is full of laughter, from Zetsubo Sensei trying to commit suicide, to Kafuka's positive views of everything. The plot line is very basic, which is about Zetsubo Sensei trying to teach his class how everything is hopeless and that you can get nowhere. The animation is simple, but elegant, and the music is unique, from the opening to the background music.

Where To Get It: Check out TokyoTosho or Animesuki for torrent downloads.
    hmm arguably the best gundam series yet, implies that you are including gundam wing, which was absolutely epic

if this is the case i may give gundam 00 a try

thus far i have been disappointed with most of the other gundam series, mainly because i hold them to the standard that gundam wing set so high

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by destiny4ever View Post
    Title: Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7-3r...eature=related

Producers: FUNimation EntertainmentL, Silver Link

Summary: (From MAL)

The story centers around Akihisa Yoshii, the "baka" of the title. His academy rigidly divides up the student body into classes based on the results of tests. The prodigies are in the A class with reclining seats complete with air conditioning, but Akihisa is in F class, the lowest rung of the school ladder which is furnished only with low, decrepit tables and worn-out straw tatami mats. A girl named Mizuki Himeji is actually one of the smartest girls in Akihisa's sophomore year, but she had a fever on test day and was pigeonholed into the F class. Besides Mizuki (who Akihisa secretly adores), the F class also has Yuuji Sakamoto, the class president who has been Akihisa's friend and partner-in-crime since the freshman year.

The school happens to have developed experiments to summon fantasy creatures, and Akihisa decides to rally F class to take on the higher-tiered classes and seize their perks. The F class uses the summoned creatures in an all-out battle for school supremacy

Details: (From MAL and ANN)

Type: TV
    Episodes: 13
    Aired: Jan 6, 2010 to Mar 31, 2010
    Genres: Comedy, School, Super Power, Fantasy, Romance
    Duration: 24 min. per episode
    Rating: PG-13 - Teens 13 or older

Why You Recommend It:

It is one of my favorite anime series. I absolutely love it! It has a bit of everything; there is romance, drama, suspense, friendship, action and of course comedy!! There wasn’t a single episode of this anime that I didn’t have fun or rolf. This anime is so epically hilarious!!! All the characters are so funny in their own way. So when all of them combine their LOL powers the result is tons of laughs. The funny moments come from different sources but all of them are awesome.

The animation, the music and the story are also pretty good.

Where to Get It: You can watch it here
    i second this recommendation, this could be the funniest anime ever, the story is great the characters are some of the best ive ever seen, but the humor...

almost unparalleled !!!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member KingOfNight's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

School Days

Seriously though. What I recommend is gonna be :

Title : School Rumble.

Producers : TV Tokyo, Sotsu Agency, Marvelous Entertainment and FUNimation Entertainment.

Summary : Tsukamoto Tenma is an ordinary 2nd year high school student who has fallen in love with one of her classmates, Karasuma Ooji. However, currently she is unable to confess her feelings to him. To make things worse, she found out that Karasuma is transferring to another school in a year. On the other hand, Tenma's other classmate, Harima Kenji (who is a delinquent) is also in love with Tenma. Not being able to confess his feelings, Harima gets depressed day by day.

Type : TV Series.

Details : Genre : Romance, Comedy , Schoo Life, Shounen.

Episodes : Two seasons ; 26 episode per season.

Why You Recommend It:

As a man of immeasurable boredom, I spend the time I have marathoning all Animes I come across (if I find them interesting to some extent.) Among those Animes, I came across this one. One of the most amazing Romance\Comedy shows I've ever watched. I've laughed to death so many times because of this show. So when I say it's a comedy show, I mean it's off the chart. You up there with the Baka to Test, you got a challenge in humor But it still an amazing romance show that I really really really...really recommend.

Where to get it : This is where I watched it (you can watch the second season on the same site too, it's called 'School Rumble Ni Gakki.'

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Mawaru Penguindrum
    Genre: Fantasy, Comedy, Psychological
    Production: Brain's Base
    Director: Ikuhara Kunihiko
    Starring: Miyake Marie, Arakwa Miho, Kimura Subaru, and Kimura Ryouhei
    Aired: July 8, 2011 to December 23, 2011

Spoiler: Summary show

Mawaru Penguindrum is a dense, surreal, psychological tragicomedy filled with symbolism and metaphor. Lacking a true, linear storyline, Penguindrum is instead a fully symbolic parable about life, family, love, resentment, destiny, and free will. Penguindrum will most appeal to fans of Satoshi Kon, SHAFT, Tekkonkinkreet, and the likes. Includes a cast of characters as outlandish and quirky as Durarara and Steins;Gate.

---------- Post added April 25, 2013 at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was April 22, 2013 at 10:54 AM ----------

Tari Tari
    Genre: Coming of Age, Drama, Comedy
    Production: PA Works
    Director: Hashimoto Masakazu
    Starring: Seto Asami, Hayami Saori, Takagaki Ayahi, Hanae Narsuki, and Shimazaki Nobunaga
    Aired: July 1, 2012 - September 23, 2012

Spoiler: summary show

By no means a classic, but still an effecting, thoughtful, coming of age story. The characters are all memorable, the animation is crisp, and the story will scripted. At times a little contrived, but overall an emotionally realistic depiction of high school life. A well done, appealing teen drama.
    Last edited by Kaiten; April 22, 2013 at 10:00 AM.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

tari tari looks cool i will check it out

---------- Post added May 07, 2013 at 09:13 AM ---------- Previous post was May 03, 2013 at 02:27 PM ----------

i recommend both anohana and kokoro connect to everyone

---------- Post added May 10, 2013 at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was May 07, 2013 at 09:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post

Mawaru Penguindrum
    Genre: Fantasy, Comedy, Psychological
    Production: Brain's Base
    Director: Ikuhara Kunihiko
    Starring: Miyake Marie, Arakwa Miho, Kimura Subaru, and Kimura Ryouhei
    Aired: July 8, 2011 to December 23, 2011

Mawaru Penguindrum is a dense, surreal, psychological tragicomedy filled with symbolism and metaphor. Lacking a true, linear storyline, Penguindrum is instead a fully symbolic parable about life, family, love, resentment, destiny, and free will. Penguindrum will most appeal to fans of Satoshi Kon, SHAFT, Tekkonkinkreet, and the likes. Includes a cast of characters as outlandish and quirky as Durarara and Steins;Gate.

---------- Post added April 25, 2013 at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was April 22, 2013 at 10:54 AM ----------

Tari Tari
    Genre: Coming of Age, Drama, Comedy
    Production: PA Works
    Director: Hashimoto Masakazu
    Starring: Seto Asami, Hayami Saori, Takagaki Ayahi, Hanae Narsuki, and Shimazaki Nobunaga
    Aired: July 1, 2012 - September 23, 2012

Spoiler: summary show

By no means a classic, but still an effecting, thoughtful, coming of age story. The characters are all memorable, the animation is crisp, and the story will scripted. At times a little contrived, but overall an emotionally realistic depiction of high school life. A well done, appealing teen drama.
    tari tari is a very good anime, it has good drama good humor, a few sad parts but in the end you will be smiling and feel all warm and fuzzy inside

tari tari is a good example of a high quality slice of life/coming of age anime

i love all of the "choir and sometimes badminton" club members
    i would recomend this anime to fans of any genre, who just want to see a quality anime with a well written story and good characters

---------- Post added May 13, 2013 at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was May 10, 2013 at 08:43 PM ----------

Myself ; Yourself

i recommend this anime to anyone who wants to see a good drama anime
    Last edited by REN KOUEN; May 10, 2013 at 08:47 PM.

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Title: Katanagatari

Producers: White Fox

Summary: Katanagatari is the story of Yasuri Shichika, a swordsman that fights without a sword, and Togame, an ambitious strategist that seeks to collect twelve legendary swords for the shogunate. The son of an exiled war hero, Yasuri Shichika is the seventh head of the Kyotoryuu school of fighting and lives on isolated Fushou Island with his sister. At a request from the female general Togame, Shichika and Togame set out on a journey across Edo-era Japan to collect the twelve Deviant Blades.

Genre: Action, Adventure, Romance, Drama, Comedy

No. of episodes: 12, approximately, one hour episodes.

Why You Recommend It: This is a lesser known anime based on light novels by Nisio Isin. A name some may recognize from the other series he's created Bakemonogatari, Nisemonogatari, and Medaka Box. This is a different, much more action oriented, series but it has the great dialogue that makes his other light novels stand out so much. But the main reason I recommend it is that I have found Katanagatari's story to be the most "memorable" anime of the last few years. Even this long after I originally watched the series I find the emotional impressions it's story left still linger in a way that they rarely do for me.

Where to Get It: If your interested you can find streaming links here.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Space Battleship Yamato 2199
    Production: Xebec
    Director: Izubuchi Yutaka
    Starring: Ono Daisuke, Kouichi Yamadera, Kuwashima Houko, Sugou Takayuki, Otsuka Houchuu, Suzumura Kenichi
    Airing: April 7, 2012 -

A remake, and update, of Matsumoto Leiji's 1974 space opera classic. The basic story is the same as the original, but with updated science, art, and animation. The character retain 1970's style design, but with cleaner, more finished looking animation. Some of the characters have been converted from men into women, to balance out a cast that originally included only one prominent female character. The end results have been stunning. An action packed, dramatic, unpredictable story with incredible depth and feeling. The original is often considered one of the first serious anime. Anno Hideaki claimed Space Battleship Yamato as inspiration for Genesis Evangelion. He has returned the favor by providing storyboards for the remake. A brilliant update of an anime classic, Space Battleship 2199 deserves to be considered a classic in it's own right, as one of the best currently airing anime.

Space Battleship Yamato will conclude after 26 episodes, 18 are currently available. New episodes are given a limited theatrical run in select Japanese theaters, before being released to disc a month later. Five BD/DVD's are currently available, out of seven. Episodes are also airing on Japanese TV, from April to October, 2013.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Stella Jogakuin Koutou-ka C³-bu (C3-bu)
    Production: GAINAX
    Director: Kawajiri Masayoshi
    Starring: Sawashiro Miyuki, Makino Yui, Kayano Ai, Saito Chiwa, Yonezawa Madoka, and Nishizaki Rima
    Format: Television Anime
    Airing: July 4, 2013 -

C3-Bu is everything you could want from a Gainax anime, overflowing with guns, girls, humor, and action. The only thing missing is a little science fiction. A team of new comers have created a beautifully animated series with detailed backgrounds, eye popping action, and sharp direction. Easily one of the highlights of the summer 2013 season, C3-bu is a really fun, highly enjoyable series.
    Last edited by Kaiten; July 19, 2013 at 03:04 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Kannagi
    Genre: Comedy
    Production: A-1 Pictures
    Director: Yamamoto Yutaka
    Starring: Tomatsu Haruka, Shimono Hiro, Hanazawa Kana, and Sawashiro Miyuki
    Format: TV Anime, OVA
    Episodes: 13 Episodes TV, 1 Episode OVA

Spoiler show

A funny, good natured series, well animated and acted. Incredibly likable characters, with good chemistry, and distinct personalities. Maybe not the single most innovative show ever, but a lot of fun to watch. Nagi is a character for the ages, possibly Tomatsu Haruka's best ever role. The underrated Shimono Hiro (Keima, from Kaminomi) was excellent, starring as Jin.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner rahayuno's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Title: DEADMAN WONDERLAND

Producers: Manglobe Studio

Summary: About a new kind of jail where the prisoners are forced to work there and doing any crazy game(s).

Details: The Genre(s) are Action, Horror, Sci-Fi. There are 12 episodes of TV series and 1 special episode. Finished airing.

Why You Recommend It: The idea is great. It tells us how to handle bad people. Not just by imprison them, but we can make them to work, so there will be surplus for the country. The graphic isn't really good. But the good plot can hide it. Highly recommend!

Where to Get It: Here

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast