Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 by cnet128 , Gintama 509 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: help w/ trans, older form(?) expressions

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shrimpy's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

help w/ trans, older form(?) expressions

Hello,

I've been waiting on some acquaintances to help me out but they seem too busy so hopefully i can count on all my fellow transer's here, basically the question comes out of my monster hunter orage script. There's two lines in red that i still haven't been satisfied with. although everything is marked in the script, i'll paste em here too.

狩に生きるもの!
    常に己との戦いなり!!

My primary problem is i don't get who or what the objects are.
    Is the first line directed to a god (like "hear my words")? or, is it any living monster to be hunted? and how do you connect the 2nd line with this thought? Is it like, "i'm ready to fight you?"

If you could peek at the script, i think it will help decode this thing. I'm even debating that the "gari ni ikiru mono" may be the mythical dragon, and on that note another question...

this one's just about order.
    the character is identified as a 封印のハンター, which i called forbidden hunter
    however later it refers to his target in saying his goal is to: ミオガルナの封印・・・討伐. destroying its seal??? what? this never sat right with me and i ended up calling it a forbidden dragon but, i have no confidence i'm right.

You may have to download the raw to look over this stuff but if anyone can help me out i really appreciate it. I'm kinda stumped over this seemingly simple chapter. Please teach me, and thanks in advance.

I'm even willing to get on a direct chat if that's possible, pm me with your screen or something and i'll try to contact you.

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄) 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity njt's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: help w/ trans, older form(?) expressions

Hmmm I think i'd translate it as~

Creatures of the hunt, our battle is never ending!

As for the other thing, I'll get the raw and update ya :3 But first, I sleep a bit
    Serizawa: But it's really heartwarming to see such good guys - perhaps not as good as we wanted, translation-wise, but their hearts are already grade A
    If you see a mistake in my translations, let me know! Thanks Click a frog to see my Resume!!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

oh, so you mean line 1 is "creatures which live to be hunted"? makes sense, i guess...
    about line 2, could you explain it a bit more literal for me? i have trouble seeing how that pans together:
    常に己との戦いなり!, can you explain the use of nari? is it like -te iru? the whole construct of this line is difficult for me to understand.

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄) 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity njt's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

狩 hunt
    に in
    生きるもの things that live

常に always
    己との with you
    戦いなり battle (なり= です)

In the event you translate 己 as "oneself"(which is the usual way to translate onore) you could translate it as

"it is always a fight with yourself" -- which probably is more correct~

OR even better -- "Life is a constant struggle" (with yourself)... which could be assumed >.>)
    Last edited by njt; April 17, 2008 at 03:25 AM.
    Serizawa: But it's really heartwarming to see such good guys - perhaps not as good as we wanted, translation-wise, but their hearts are already grade A
    If you see a mistake in my translations, let me know! Thanks Click a frog to see my Resume!!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you very much.

New Reply