Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Bakumatsu Rock

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Bakumatsu Rock

Bakumatsu Rock
    Genre: Music, Historical
    Production: Studio Deen
    Director: Kawasaki Itsurou
    Series Composition: Hirota Mitsutaka
    Starring: Toshiyuki Morikawa, Morikubo Showtaro, Ono Kensho, Taniyama Kishou, Suzuki Tatsuhisa

The story is set in the Bakumatsu era, at the end of the shoguns' rule over Japan in the middle of the 19th century. The Tokugawa shogunate uses the brainwashing Heaven's Songs by the top idols in Shinsengumi to subjugate the country and its people. In this Japan, writing or singing any songs besides the Heaven's Songs is a capital offense. Sakamoto Ryouma and the other rockers rise up and change the world with rock 'n' roll for freedom and justice.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bakumatsu Rock

Obviously I'm not watching this series for quality and mental stimulation, ha ha. I just want to be entertained!!

It looks like that one wish will be fulfilled since the first episode was over-the-top with anachronism taken up to eleven: electric guitars are for some reason common place in 19th century Japan with no explanation for their existence whatsoever.

A trait that it has, which will hopefully keep me on board, is that it seems to have an overarching storyline that ties the episodes together. I'll watch the second episode and see.

---------- Post added July 11, 2014 at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was July 06, 2014 at 07:11 PM ----------

I have to say that the Peace Soul is a cute sounding name for something that seems to contain a lot of power. It's made even more the funnier when the villain character wants it. I still don't know what it is exactly, but it seems to stem from the shooting star that the characters all saw.

The Italian foods that are the menu for the restaurant/bar sounded really tasty; too bad that apart from the pizza margherita, they weren't animated.

Any rock band that's controlled by the government would be considered propaganda imo. The government are using the Shinsengumi to gain support from their female fans. I wonder if Ryoma's band will merge with the Shinsengumi since the latter doesn't seem to play any instruments.

---------- Post added July 16, 2014 at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was July 11, 2014 at 10:02 PM ----------

This week's episode was an okay one where the Shinsengumi were featured more than Ryoma's group. I think what sets the two apart is that one is an idol group whereas the other is more of a traditional rock band.

My main question -other than what in the world is Peace Soul/Heaven Song- is what happened to the other members of the Shinsengumi like Saitou or Harada? Did they defect?

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The newest episode was amazing, one of the best bath house episodes in anime!!! Naked bonding, their faces at Cindy when he took the towel off (and Soji's remark), it was too good.

SoTaku is Love | Team Haikyuu!! | Team Stealth Symphony | Team Food Wars!

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
    The newest episode was amazing, one of the best bath house episodes in anime!!! Naked bonding, their faces at Cindy when he took the towel off (and Soji's remark), it was too good.
    I'm glad you're also watching Bakumatsu Rock!! I thought I was the only one.

And yes, the bath house scenes were amazing. It's made even funnier when the characters were stark naked for the majority of the episode.

---------- Post added August 17, 2014 at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was July 24, 2014 at 07:16 PM ----------

I was on the fence on whether to continue watching this series, and I'm glad I did since Episode 6 and 7 were genuinely pretty good for a bishonen anime.

The Heaven's Song seemed like a positive thing at first so I was surprised that it's actually a weapon to control the masses. The government's goal of peace and harmony is good, but the means to get there is not.

---------- Post added August 20, 2014 at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was August 17, 2014 at 09:28 PM ----------

The last few episodes were serious so it was refreshing to see an entirely comedic episode this time. It was nice to see a girls idol group since so far there has only been a male idol group with the Shinsengumi.

So Ii and Yoshinobu (I believe it's the name of the young boy) are connected; the latter also seems higher ranked than the former. I wonder if their visions for Heaven Song/Peace Soul are different.

New Reply