Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Tower of God Chapter 132 Discussion/133 Predictions

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tower of God Chapter 132 Discussion/133 Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post
    The author says I'm wrong, therefore I'm wrong?
    Yea, that's how it works. You're not the one creating the story. Don't like it? Write your own, and you can dictate whatever you want in there. If you didn't like something IRL, would you say reality can do whatever it wants but you won't acknowledge it?
    Erfworld

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 0Xellos View Post
    Yea, that's how it works. You're not the one creating the story. Don't like it? Write your own, and you can dictate whatever you want in there. If you didn't like something IRL, would you say reality can do whatever it wants but you won't acknowledge it?
    Actually, that isn't how it works. What happens on the pages in a story is canon and cannot be discounted even if it is inconsistent with the rest of the story or is bullshit. What the author says outside of that is not. (I can think of a few examples of authors saying some things are true outside of the context of the story that are utter horseshit. e.g. Dumbledore is gay. No, he isn't gay because he isn't gay on the text of the pages)
    Last edited by Reclaimer; February 22, 2013 at 04:41 PM.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 0Xellos View Post
    Aaah! This seriously required
    Spoiler show

To boot, Kurudan was shown using a hammer and explicitly mentioned to be a wave controller.
    You mean a character we haven't seen, much less seen in combat at all? What am I supposed to say about that?
    For some reason I wrote Baek Ryun (TWICE) instead of Kurudan. I edited it now, but left Baek Ryun crossed so that everyone can see my shame.

Zoidberg really made me lol.

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

I'd also prefer if the author's comments didn't exist as they are bad writing.
    I especially don't like parts when he explains his thought process. Kinda kills the illusion sometimes.

Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!

(thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shaheer's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    For some reason I wrote Baek Ryun (TWICE) instead of Kurudan. I edited it now, but left Baek Ryun crossed so that everyone can see my shame.

Zoidberg really made me lol.

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

I especially don't like parts when he explains his thought process. Kinda kills the illusion sometimes.
    Well given that some times there are gaps in manga message i think some message to fans are justified, But not ALL Idk the author is doing excellent so far with these so i guess it should go on till it becomes serious pain in the back

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member abc1233's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, that isn't how it works. What happens on the pages in a story is cannon and cannot be discounted even if it is inconsistent with the rest of the story or is bullshit. What the author says outside of that is not. (I can think of a few examples of authors saying some things are true outside of the context of the story that are utter horseshit. e.g. Dumbledore is gay. No, he isn't gay because he isn't gay on the text of the pages)
    That is how it works. The story is the author's, if they intended on a character being gay then the character is gay even if it isn't written down in the medium itself. For SIU this is true to an even greater extent, the purpose of the outside comments is to supplement the information in the story, what would be the point in that if it isn't cannon. Regardless, your point about wave controllers not needing weapons has already been sufficiently shown to be wrong.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by abc1233 View Post
    That is how it works. The story is the author's, if they intended on a character being gay then the character is gay even if it isn't written down in the medium itself.
    Authors get to write the story. They don't get to control interpretation. They can say what they intend, but the text is canon. If something is not in the text, it is not canon.
    Last edited by Reclaimer; February 22, 2013 at 04:41 PM.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Authors get to write the story. They don't get to control interpretation. They can say what they intend, but the text is cannon. If something is not in the text, it is not cannon.
    That's just one interpretation. Plenty of people accept databook information. People can interpret things differently, but canon is canon. Plenty of canon stuff occurs in databooks. Some people accept it, some don't. In a lot of cases, a databook is used to supplement a series and is intended to be canon.

For example, some people believe Starrk lost to Shunsui because of some "evil cheating," but others, such as myself, believe that everything Shunsui did was fair and he was the rightful victor. In the end, he wasn't even required to use his bankai, so...

This isn't about Dumbledore, but yes, in the seventh book, once you get the information that she intended for Dumbledore to be gay, you can see how his interactions with Grindelwald could be construed to have gay overtones. I'm not saying that I agree, or that Dumbledore was ever portrayed as gay, because he wasn't, but you can see what Rowling was thinking.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    That's just one interpretation. Plenty of people accept databook information. People can interpret things differently, but canon is canon. Plenty of canon stuff occurs in databooks. Some people accept it, some don't. In a lot of cases, a databook is used to supplement a series and is intended to be canon.
    Except it is not canon. It might be true, but that doesn't make it canon.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member abc1233's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Authors get to write the story. They don't get to control interpretation. They can say what they intend, but the text is canon. If something is not in the text, it is not canon.
    They do get to control what requires interpretation, by coming out and saying that they intended for x interpretation to be true then it becomes cannon, anything else which they purposely left ambiguous is down to reader interpretation. It depends on what parameters you set as the "text", I would set it as any information written by the author related to the world of the story. Again, what is the point in SIU giving us all this supplementary information if it's not canon?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

They do get to control what requires interpretation, by coming out and saying that they intended for x interpretation to be true then it becomes cannon, anything else which they purposely left ambiguous is down to reader interpretation.
    The only way the can control how the reader interprets something is through how it is presented in the original text. If they fail at that, they don't get a do over. They can't say you have to interpret X as Y. If they could, SIU could say that you have to read Rachel as a likable character and according to you, you would HAVE to read her as one because it is canon. That's just absurd.

Now, if something happens but it isn't clear exactly what it is, they can clarify what they intended and it would be true, but it still wouldn't be canon until they subsequently built off it thus cementing it into the actual text.

Again, what is the point in SIU giving us all this supplementary information if it's not canon?
    I doubt SIU is thinking about the distinction. And guess what would happen if something extra-textual contradicted with something SIU plans for the series? That extra-textual information would be changed in a way that the actual text cannot be easily done.

Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Global Moderator message by: naruto-niichan
    Stop it guys, you're getting way too offtopic here. Feel free to create a thread about the matter but stop discussing it here, as this is supposed to be about the chapter. I will let stay what's been written so far but further offtopic posts will be deleted and/or dealt with accordingly.

13. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Chile
    Post Thanks / Like

Nooo i get here too late, i was to about to say that sometimes is necessary the reviews given by SIU, for example. On of the Headmasters of the Workshop is one of the candidates to be king of the Tower, the wizard actually. Plus Emily thing and Cassano with Horyang , it would be awesome put this together with Poken and Hachuling meddling and all the teams meeting.

Another example is the true feats of Urek before he showed on stage, it hyped me a lot!

New Reply
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8