Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Tyrant kuma, will he be back?

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Tyrant kuma, will he be back?

Since at least the great war between the Whitebeard Pirates and the Marines we seen that kuma was made into a human weapon by vegapunk. The implication of that is that kuma is basically a walking corpse cyborg so far. As of now kuma is a shichibukai under the complete control of the world government.

Now, is all of that true? Is kuma really dead and not coming back? To be honest I have a few doubts about that... Is there any chance at all that kuma might ever remember who he was? He has his DF so saying he is dead is a bit of a stretch IMO. Or is he perhaps faking and he is simply pretending to be a complete puppet of the world government? Or maybe vegapunk saved a bit of kuma within the cyborg? I think that at some point either kuma will be back to his old self, to me him being a human weapon even though he was a revolutionary is a big plot point that will be dealt with.

Any thoughts?

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tyrant kuma, will he be back?

I favor the third point, Vegapunk having saved Kuma´s personality in some way. To tell the truth, i suspected for a long time that Kuma will play a huge role in the Vegapunk arc that is sure to come at one point because it is still one of the biggest mysteries we have at this point, namely why Kuma gave up his body and personality to follow the WG completely. I don´t think he is pretending since Franky´s explanations would be useless really and would not make sense.
    I think that Kuma will be saved by the SHs to clear their debt. Besides, there is still Robin who seems to know a lot more, at least it was hinted in the conversation with Franky.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

what if Vegapunk is revolutionary and making kuma corpse cyborg was dragon's (revolutionary army's) plan. we know Vegapunk is brilliant what if kuma is not corpse cyborg but just advance cyborg and acting like corpse cyborg. u know if u want to defeat ur opponent send spy in his team/group. corpse cyborg and smart man can b a good spy

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    I favor the third point, Vegapunk having saved Kuma´s personality in some way. To tell the truth, i suspected for a long time that Kuma will play a huge role in the Vegapunk arc that is sure to come at one point because it is still one of the biggest mysteries we have at this point, namely why Kuma gave up his body and personality to follow the WG completely. I don´t think he is pretending since Franky´s explanations would be useless really and would not make sense.
    I think that Kuma will be saved by the SHs to clear their debt. Besides, there is still Robin who seems to know a lot more, at least it was hinted in the conversation with Franky.
    I have to agree. I think Kuma's personality and memories are dormant, not erased. At some point they will be recovered, and he will rejoin the Revolutionary Army. Kuma playing a major role in the Vegapunk arc is as much a given as anything in One Piece could be. What I most wonder is why a high ranking revolutionary would not only join the Shichibukai, but allow himself to be used as a guinea pig in the Pacifista program?

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

I think somehow Kuma will come back. He's not evil, and this is shounen, so with some convincing or reminding it's very much likely Luffy or Dragon could bring back Kuma. I doubt it'll be easy, as Ivankov failed to bring back Kuma. But it is quite possible.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

it is really sad that he let himself become complete property of vegapunk and the world government

it would be cool if VP saved the option to allow him to get his personality back

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    I think somehow Kuma will come back. He's not evil, and this is shounen, so with some convincing or reminding it's very much likely Luffy or Dragon could bring back Kuma. I doubt it'll be easy, as Ivankov failed to bring back Kuma. But it is quite possible.
    Everything depends on Vegapunk's personality. He was willing to heed Kuma's last request, to allow his mission to protect the Sunny. It could be that Vegapunk, at some point, restores Kuma's personality himself. Maybe that happens after Kuma accomplishes whatever he intended when he agreed to become the prototype for the Pacifista. Or Luffy befriends Vegapunk, over the course of an arc, and convinces him to restore Kuma.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisame Hoshigaki View Post
    it is really sad that he let himself become complete property of vegapunk and the world government

it would be cool if VP saved the option to allow him to get his personality back
    That is my feeling, that it will be Vegapunk who restores his personality. I doubt anyone else would be able to.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

If Vegapunk was willing to allow Kuma to protect the Sunny, then he could restore Kuma, or he probably installed a command that'd restore Kuma after a specific mission or goal was obtained. Though I could see Luffy convincing Vegapunk to restore Kuma's personality back to normal somehow, I still think Kuma will somehow be able to come back after coaxing from Luffy, Dragon, or possibly Ivankov.

How many times have we seen people turned to evil or against the protagonist only to change back to normal or change otherwise in shounen action manga?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

IMHO, I believe that Kuma volunteered to become the human weapon, because that was the best way to get involved with the Pacifista program, and find a way to subvert it to serve the interest of the RA.
    What I think happened is that the RA realized that they would never be able to rivalize with the WG in military might, so they decided to try to get their hand on weapon from the WG. Once they learned of the Pacifista program, they infiltrated it by having Kuma volunteering. And once the war between the RA and WG breaks out, I expect that the equivalent of a computer virus will infect all the Pacifista and suddenly they'll obey the RA and not the WG. as for Kuma, I think the price to accomplish this was is life, and that he is indeed as good as dead, but like the other Pacifista, he will in the end serve the RA.
    My One Piece Predictions

Spoiler show

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Quantized's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

This is actually quite an interesting theory/idea, I was kinda moved by how Kuma sacrificed himself in that way, it was so unselfish.
    To boot he even made Vegapunk give him one last mission to protect Sunny, even if it was for Dragon, it still was moving how unselfish he was, and protecting Luffy and his crew.

He's obviously not dead, so it's not like he will be raised from the death which is such a cliche in other stories, but here we actually have someone we readers care about (More or less), and we don't know if he'lll return or not, yet we hope for it!

Oda is really pulling a master card here, such an interesting and caring character, and he never did say much or anything.
    Your actions can often describe you more than any words, I think this is the case with Kuma.

If Oda brings him back, I wan't to agree it's a master move in manga story telling, it's so gonna be epic, I'm sure of that.

New Reply