Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Buggy's rise

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Avid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Buggy's rise

Recently it was finally confirmed that Buggy has become a Shichibukai, and I was wanting to know how everybody felt about this. It actually makes a lot of sense to me, even though I don't think he's on par with the others. Buggy would still be one of the stronger members in most any crew.

He was spoken to as an equal by two emperors. He survived an attack from Mihawk. He used to be a member of Roger's crew. He's actually shown signs of being very strong physically, or at least his ability to levitate has been shown to lift a lot of weight. He's a capable chemist who has made some serious firepower. He's not even a bad fighter actually. If you added Haki to all of that I can actually kind of see it.

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Buggy's rise

Buggy was a former member of Roger's crew, the most legendary crew so far. He's a villian in his own arc. He was a famous prisoner of the famous Impel Down. And now is a shichibukai. No doubt, he is a powerful underbroker has powerful influences in the underworld thanks to his pretty good relationship with the most powerful underbroker in the whole One Piece world:
    Spoiler show

3. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Buggy's actually as powerful as Whitebeard. He's just been hiding it the whole time. Buggy joining the Shichibukai is humor, it's supposed to be funny. He's the last character who should have the epitaph "Living Legend". He's a coward, a braggart, greedy, and a wimp. That's what makes him so fun. Oda is making a joke, try not to take it too seriously

5. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, don't worry. I take One Piece a chuckle at a time. xD

Who would you guys have chosen if you had your pick?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, Oda stated once that Buggy could be strong if he actually trained. But even without that, the fact he's able to claim every twist of fate as his doing gives him crazy charisma
    Erfworld

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I could think a lot of ways to make him better with his ability. A bigger focus on his potential to lift or rotate his parts along with some new weapons could make some big differences.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Buggy. Making him a Shichibukai is too funny not to love. Otherwise, I don't really care. Preferably a new character. Two established characters were made Shichibukai, I'd like a few new ones introduced next. I guess there will be a seat open, once Law is kicked out, along with the still unidentified seventh Shichibukai. That's a discussion for a different thread though, we already have a thread to discuss the next shichibukai.

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

As you remember Buggy has been in search of the treasure of Captain John for a long time. Luckily, in Impel Down, Luffy gave him Captain John's armband, which contained a map of that treasure (chap 527):

Spoiler show

From that moment on, Buggy was pushed, by the circunstances of the war in Marineford, far away of his search. Once he could get free of them, he intended to restart it again, with the help of the map:

Spoiler show

Now he has a new nick name, which has been translated in different ways:
    Here Aohige's interesting explanation:

Quote Quote:
    Buggy's new ephitat is "Senryou Douke" Buggy.
    It literally means Thousand Ryo Clown.

Ryo is a currency in Edo-period Japan, and 1 ryo is one koban (gold coin).
    That's why I translated it as Thousand-coin Clown.

Basically imagine Buggy as a pirate clown with a thousand doubloons.
    This would give the reason to Cnet and obviously to Aohige. I prefer Aohige's version because it fits perfectly well in the story of Buggy: he should have found the treasure.
    Last edited by ukimix; March 02, 2013 at 10:22 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you expect he'll be an ally to Luffy now? I wonder if he's regarded as a part of 'that' generation.

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Avid View Post
    Do you expect he'll be an ally to Luffy now? I wonder if he's regarded as a part of 'that' generation.
    No. There must be alllies to Luffy, also rivals, and also characters like Buggy, which has his own agenda. He doesn't want to find the One Piece, he doesn't want to fight Luffy, neither to help him, but only his own business. I woulnd't be surprised if it turns to be that Buggy doesn't want to be a Shishibukai, but forced for the circunstances he turned into one of them. That could mean also that WG is as blind as his Impel Down fugitives-followers were. But also it's possible that the WG knows pretty well who is hims and what he can do, and that they are using him as a tool to get something else. In any case, I'm curious about what has been happening to him this years.

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Buggy is the boss! seriously, of the 6 shichibukai we know he can easily stand against Mihawk, Law and Doflamingo until the get pissed and they start to punch him XD

New Reply