Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Archetypes in One Piece

The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Archetypes in One Piece

So, it is a common concept in psychology as well as in literature, mostly the folk and myth orientated literature, the archetypes - the iconic everlasting images that lurk deep into our collective unconscious. I have seen them a lot in One Piece, for example:

The Hero - this archetype fits Luffy. However to a certain extent it also fits Roger and Ace. Though if we go further Ace is a more tragic hero. Usopp would be the hero that is still in his growth.

The wise old man - Many fit this as well: Whitebeard, Rayleigh even the Gorosei.

The Devil - almost all of the villains, most prominently Blackbeard, Lucci and Akainu.

The child - Chopper comes to mind first, then probably Sabo. Though this archetype is more complex I am sure regular children that Oda displays, such as some adults as children in flashbacks he is using this archetype.

The father - Shanks to Luffy, and Garp to Luffy, Whitebeard to his crew members.

The mother - Big Mom to her crew members.

The trickster - I do think that Law fits in with this, and to a less extent Buggy, Blackbeard may also come off as one. Foxy was certainly among these. This one is closely linked to the devil archetype.

The fool - Buggy is the perfect match.

The sage - Sengoku was a master planner and was pretty calm most of the time. kizaru is also close.

The lover - Sanji of course.

The explorer - most of the pirates.

What other archetypes have you seen in the series, and what other people fit the ones I have mentioned?

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Archetypes in One Piece

To me, the archetype of the mother is Bellemere. As you posted in that thread about the family in OP, she is a part of the background to construct the character of Nami. She is the most memorable mother of the story. I would put Big Mom as a devil archetype.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Nami would be more considered a mother than Big Mom, since she acts more like a mom to the crew. Nami's usually the sensible, logical one in her crew, at least if you don't count when money's involved.

Luffy could be considered more of an explorer though, as he truly wants to explore the seas. His definition of pirate king fits in with the explorer, to be free to roam the seas, if I recall. Dunno about other pirates, but as far as I know, Luffy fits the definition of explorer the best. Maybe Nami and Robin do as well, but Robin only cares about the poneglyphs. At least, she did.

---------- Post added at 02:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 AM ----------

oh, and I'd consider Whitebeard to be the father because he's been considered father by more people than anyone else in the manga. Basically, his entire crew thinks of him as a father. Garp is Luffy's grandfather, and I'm not sure if Shanks is viewed as father or brother by Luffy.
    Vote for koen for favorite senpai so koen is active again!

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity jaymizzo's Avatar
    I had a smaller one but i guess i left it at home
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    I'm not sure if Shanks is viewed as father or brother by Luffy.
    Would make much more sense if they had a brotherly bond or viewed each other as such. Shanks appears too young to be seen as a father figure to Luffy. MOA
    "Man hands misery onto man" - Philip Larkin

The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    To me, the archetype of the mother is Bellemere. As you posted in that thread about the family in OP, she is a part of the background to construct the character of Nami. She is the most memorable mother of the story. I would put Big Mom as a devil archetype.
    I agree, Nico Robin's mother might fit that as well. Though usually the mother archetype is someone that has a worldly significance as well as an individual one. Though mothers in One Piece are also common but a bit overshadowed by the fathers.

Kaido also may fit the Devil archetype.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

You forgot one of the most used stereotypes: the lazy badass (Aokiji, stark, shikamaru, ... there are countless examples).

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RezzieThaRapper's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

One Piece has far too many of these.. as TVtropes will tell you lol
    I have an opinionDon't hate me for it...

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

What character is not an archetype? that is worth to be discussed too, and this thread could serve also that purpose.... Because a character with out archetype would be evidence of originality... I don't read gender bender manga, so I suppose maybe he is an archetype in that genre, but... I like so much Ivankov.

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaymizzo View Post
    Would make much more sense if they had a brotherly bond or viewed each other as such. Shanks appears too young to be seen as a father figure to Luffy. MOA
    I actually don't know why I said that, as I think Luffy sees Shanks as a brother. Not totally sure about father, but I agree with you.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

All of the mugiwaras follow an archetype, some of the Omakes present them quiet well. On the mobile right now, so nothing specific from me.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

One Piece Re: Archetypes in One Piece

You have forgotten the Pervert Archetype, or "Ero".
    All top shows have them lmao.
    Sanji, Brooke, Jiraiya, Kon, Gildarts etc.

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

You can't consider Sanji a perv though, he's too respectful to women. He's never asked to see panties or whatnot, if I recall. That was only Brook.

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Muhbaer's Avatar
    Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    to me it's Dadan - the good one.
    big mom is yet to be seen.

The devil would be Spandam imo
    Explorer would be Roger imo.
    The Wise would be Zoro's sensei, the hunter would be Smoker(or Sanji haha), the princess would be Hancock, the priest was Kuma, the fool is Doflamingo, the vampire is either mihawk or moriah, santa claus would be kureha, chopper is rudolph the bluenosed Tanuki(xD), the father is whitebeard,
    and usopp is .... CAPTAIN USOPP-SAMA !!!
    Last edited by Muhbaer; February 19, 2013 at 08:12 AM.
    have fun, good luck

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    You can't consider Sanji a perv though, he's too respectful to women. He's never asked to see panties or whatnot, if I recall. That was only Brook.
    ?
    http://www.mangareader.net/103-2571-...apter-464.html
    Sanji's dream fruit was the Suke Suke Fruit.
    He reveals his true intentions.
    If this doesn't confirm Sanji is a pervert then...

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

A pervert can be a politically correct person. I can ask a woman to let me see her pants. If she says no, I will have to keep cultivating my pervert thoughts by myself. So Sanji is a pervert, not an abuser, who is a pervert that is disrespectful of other's regulations.

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast