Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 761 by cnet128 , Bleach 597 (2) , Gintama 511 by kewl0210
New Reply
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Black Beard and the Smile Fruit

  1. #1
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    Philippines
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    367
    Post Thanks / Like

    Black Beard and the Smile Fruit

    I don't know if this had been discussed before, but there are rumors that BB could have eaten a devil fruit even before he ate the Yami Yami fruit. And that DF is a mythical zoan Cerberus fruit. That theory is supported by BB's pirate flag with 3 heads and also Shank's scar that looks like a scratch made by an animal. And it could also be the reason how he was able to eat more than 1 DF.
    And now that Smile is introduced, I'm thinking. Is it possible that the Cerberus fruit that BB ate is a Smile fruit?

  2. #2
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner 31TeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Country
    England
    Age
    21
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Black Beard and the Smile Fruit

    Well that point about BB Pirates' flag is certainly interesting, but if you look in Chapter 645, Teach is seen wearing a Wolverine claw type thing on his hand. That would explain Shanks' scar.

    As for BB's potential cerberus DF being a SMILE, it's not an impossibility but it seems unlikely. Where would Teach have got it from when it was being supplied to Kaido and not WB? I don't see any hints that would point to his cerberus DF being artificial. Plus I'd imagine a cerberus DF would be a mythical zoan, and it would be a bit strange if that was artificial. Not that it's confirmed or even near being certain that he has a cerberus DF.

  3. #3
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Country
    Croatia
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,156
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Black Beard and the Smile Fruit

    Don't want to break the party, but first smile was probably produced like one year ago.

    Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!


    (thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

  4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  5. #4
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner ekinox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Country
    France
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Black Beard and the Smile Fruit

    Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    Don't want to break the party, but first smile was probably produced like one year ago.
    Doflamingo talked about "the smile's age" before the time skip

    Spoiler show
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic169996_2.gif

  6. #5
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Country
    Croatia
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,156
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Black Beard and the Smile Fruit

    Yes, he talked about the age of smiles but it's not a gven that he was already producing them. CC supposedly returned to PH a year after the incident that made it toxic, which means 3 years ago. I'd take it he didn't immediately know how to produce SAD nor did Doflamingo have factories and procedures to make smiles already available. Which means reasearch and development took some time. I said one year, but it wasn't more than 2 years ago, since Dofla mentioned it.

    In any way, there's no chance in hell Blackbeard ate a smile, unless he traveled to the future.

    Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!


    (thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

  7. #6
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RichardMNixon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Country
    United States
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    894
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Black Beard and the Smile Fruit

    My slightly more ridiculous theory was that he ate the cow-cow fruit giving him four stomachs. One fruit per stomach would let him have one more (Cow + Darkness + Quake + ?).

    I think a limit is ruled out though by the explanation that they're still hunting people down and stealing fruits.
    The Grain Pirates. Scourge of Spelt, Corsairs of Corn, Rogues of Rye, Buccaneers of Barley, the Freebooters of the Farmland.
    What reason is there to stop a man from sailing?

  8. #7
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Country
    Croatia
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,156
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Black Beard and the Smile Fruit

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardMNixon View Post
    I think a limit is ruled out though by the explanation that they're still hunting people down and stealing fruits.
    It's just a vague information. Also, nobody said all of them are for Blackbeard. There are 2 important things we should remember. First, Blackbeard could possibly be able to have more than one fruit because of his atypical build. What that means, ask Marco... Is it limited to 2 abilities or can he have even more? We'll have to wait and see.

    Second, Blackbeard knows of some kind of procedure which enables him to catch other people's devil fruit when they die. Is it limited only to him or can other people use the same procedure as well? We'll have to wait and see that as well. But, seeing how he covered Whitebeard with a blanket, it might mean that other people could do it too, if they saw what he did.

    I just hope he's limited to 2 only, because a bad guy with too many different powers is always boring.

    Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!


    (thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

  9. #8
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Towson
    Country
    United States
    Age
    35
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    27,364
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Black Beard and the Smile Fruit

    With all due respect, this is nonsense. It's raw speculation with no canon support. Moved to Playground.

  10. #9
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    Philippines
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    367
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Black Beard and the Smile Fruit

    Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    Yes, he talked about the age of smiles but it's not a gven that he was already producing them. CC supposedly returned to PH a year after the incident that made it toxic, which means 3 years ago. I'd take it he didn't immediately know how to produce SAD nor did Doflamingo have factories and procedures to make smiles already available. Which means reasearch and development took some time. I said one year, but it wasn't more than 2 years ago, since Dofla mentioned it.

    In any way, there's no chance in hell Blackbeard ate a smile, unless he traveled to the future.
    The "Age of Smiles" that DD was talking about is the mass production of smiles. If he's already talking about mass production, it could only mean that smile had already been invented and tested. Because how can he mass produce something that's still in his mind?
    And creating something like smile isn't a fast and easy process. It's a trial and error thing. So before they could create a smile that is ready for mass production, I'm sure it took them years and a lot of testing. And it's not impossible if BB got hold of one smile from the first batches.
    But ofcourse, this is just a theory. The first time I heard about BB having the Cerberus ability, I got really interested. And the introduction of smile just made it more interesting.
    And it wasn't DD or Caesar who first produced an artificial DF. It was Vegapunk who made it first although it was a failure. Caesar just copied Vegapunk's experiment and perfected it. So before DD ever had plans of doing it a business, an artificial DF already existed.

    Quote Originally Posted by 31TeV View Post
    I don't see any hints that would point to his cerberus DF being artificial. Plus I'd imagine a cerberus DF would be a mythical zoan, and it would be a bit strange if that was artificial. Not that it's confirmed or even near being certain that he has a cerberus DF.
    You're forgetting about Momonosuke. His artificial DF is a mythical zoan.

  11. #10
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Country
    Croatia
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,156
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Black Beard and the Smile Fruit

    Quote Originally Posted by llydnarz View Post
    The "Age of Smiles" that DD was talking about is the mass production of smiles. If he's already talking about mass production, it could only mean that smile had already been invented and tested. Because how can he mass produce something that's still in his mind?
    I don't know. How could Apple announce iPhone 5 before it was even produced?

    If he was one of the testers for the smile, Oda wouldn't give a hint of his "atypical build". I'm more inclined to believe Blackbeard is a member of some unknown sub-race or something like that.
    Last edited by Razh; February 14, 2013 at 08:42 AM.

    Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!


    (thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

  12. #11
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    Philippines
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    367
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Black Beard and the Smile Fruit

    Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    I don't know. How could Apple announce iPhone 5 before it was even produced?

    If he was one of the testers for the smile, Oda wouldn't give a hint of his "atypical build". I'm more inclined to believe Blackbeard is a member of some unknown sub-race or something like that.
    LOL. That was OT but I believe that just after or even before they launch a new iphone model, they're already working on the next. They already have ideas of what new features to add in it. So before they announced iphone 5, they already have a working prototype of it. And there's already previous iphones that were launched so you doesn't have to be a rocket scientist or a Nostradamus to predict that there would be another in the coming future.

    Now about announcing something that doesn't exist yet, that's a different story. It's like you're saying that you will sell time machines when you doesn't even know how to make one or doesn't even know if it's possible to build one. Dofla let go of his primary business to start Smiley production which you are saying "doesn't exist yet". Do you think a very careful guy like him would do that?

    And about BB's "atypical body", it could be the side effect of the imperfect DF. Maybe instead of transforming from human to beast and vice versa, his body just altered permanently but only his insides. Marco stated that the kind of body that BB has is unique to BB alone. So if BB is from another race, then Oda wouldn't have added that statement.

  13. #12
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Country
    Croatia
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,156
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Black Beard and the Smile Fruit

    Quote Originally Posted by llydnarz View Post
    LOL. That was OT but I believe that just after or even before they launch a new iphone model, they're already working on the next. They already have ideas of what new features to add in it. So before they announced iphone 5, they already have a working prototype of it. And there's already previous iphones that were launched so you doesn't have to be a rocket scientist or a Nostradamus to predict that there would be another in the coming future.

    Now about announcing something that doesn't exist yet, that's a different story. It's like you're saying that you will sell time machines when you doesn't even know how to make one or doesn't even know if it's possible to build one. Dofla let go of his primary business to start Smiley production which you are saying "doesn't exist yet". Do you think a very careful guy like him would do that?
    That's what I'm saying. Dofla could have worked on creation of smiles back then, but it doesn't have to mean the production was already under way. You first need to know what you want to make, and then do research until you find a way to produce it and they you start making it and selling it. Fact Doflamingo talked about age of smiles alone is not a proof that the fruits were already produced back then.

    Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!


    (thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

  14. #13
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    Philippines
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    367
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Black Beard and the Smile Fruit

    Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    That's what I'm saying. Dofla could have worked on creation of smiles back then, but it doesn't have to mean the production was already under way. You first need to know what you want to make, and then do research until you find a way to produce it and they you start making it and selling it. Fact Doflamingo talked about age of smiles alone is not a proof that the fruits were already produced back then.
    When Dofla mentioned the age of smiles, it only meant they have already succeeded in producing it. But not in large quantities. They may have produced some and tested if it really worked. And one of the testers could be BB. If BB successfully hid himself as WB's crew, then there's no problem in hiding himself as a common person just to get a DF that he wanted. Maybe when he heard that an artificial DF can be produced, he disguised himself as an employee in the facility that produces it or volunteered to test it. And he chose a DF that he thinks would give him the ability to wield more than 1 DF.
    BB may look like a fool but he is damn smart. He fooled WB and the WG.

New Reply

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts