Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)

View Poll Results: What do you rate Bleach 528

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
    The results in this poll are hidden.
  • Waste of time

The results are hidden 0%
  • Horrible

• Poor

• Fair

• Average

• Decent

• Okay

• Good

• Great

• Amazing

New Reply

Thread: Bleach 528 The TW Review

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Tenacious Weezy's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Bleach 528 The TW Review

Scantalation provided by Manga Panda

Central Characters

Ichigo Kurosaki

Isshin Kurosaki

Ikumi Unagiya

Masaki Kurosaki

The Background

Last week the Zaraki Kenpachi finally awakened to his true power at the sacrifice of Retsu Unohana. Upon her final thoughts to him he hears his Soul Slayer for the first time and learns its name (we didn't). The action then shifted to Ōetsu Nimaiya congratulating Renji on beating the Asauchi, however Ichigo had failed horribly. After some bickering Nimaiya tells Ichigo he sucks, he can't fix Zangetsu, he can just go home. He then suppresses him and sends him home lol. Last weeks chapter was rated a 6.6 by voters.

The Preface

I'll be honest. I really had to dig deep to write this review. This chapter seemed like a waste the first time I read it. Of course it's obviously a build up and subsequent chapters should be very informative but so much of this chapter was already known to us it just irked me the wrong way. Hopefully this review appeals to anyone who reads it but this chapter was simple enough on its own. Anyways let's begin...

The Review

So literally Ichigo is HOME. BIG SUPRISE. He is surprised that he is in his physical body as well and after some thought concludes correctly that his Faja brought him there. Why he left him outside in the rain is a bit messed up and I don't blame him for ditching before his dad welcomes him back either.

He heads to Ikumi's house. Interestingly enough she's the only person that knows Ichigo but not about his Shinigami life (although I recall her meeting some fullbringers in the past). Infact he went to her for that reason simply because he was scared of his friends and his Faja's reaction to him not being able to fix his Zangetsu. If you think about it, he was the BIG hero last war and he was pretty depressed after losing his powers from that. Deja Vu really. This is poor character development especially for a main character but I'm only being critical because it's my review! Let's continue.

Finally some humor! This is easily where Bleach shines. It can be very serious and then outstandingly funny at the flip of a panel. IN THE FACE! Ikumi lovingly gives Ichigo some food she cooked to warm him up. She then tells him to go home since her son would go bananas if he was awake. Ichigo goes Somber mode on her and starts thanking her but she butts in.

Well actually she head butts him....IN THE FACE! Ok serious note Ikumi reminds Ichigo something she said once before when he was struggling before (with Urahara and Isshins' true motives during the Full bringer arc). Ichigo makes a joke about their age difference which I guess is perhaps a cultural joke? I've met siblings separated by 20 years so I don't know maybe it was just a bad joke by Ichigo. Anyways there's a knock on the door and who else it could be?

In one of the two best panels of the chapter Isshin in full Shinigami gear stares down Ichigo. Ikumi having no spiritual power is unable to see or even grasp his presence. With no words spoken Ichigo decides to leave and go home. Unintentionally she trades her umbrella for his Shinigami badge.

The significance of this was missed on me at first. However one thing is obvious for now, Ichigo has sort of given up on the Shinigami thing (anticipated by some) and SS for that matter. I was also informed of some information I had previously not noticed.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkBankai View Post
    It is Impossible to see the Badge,,,,, and NOT see a shinigami... as is evidenced several times already in the manga by ichigos friends from school.
    Therefore she only pretended not to see isshin.

Also- I suspect it went like this off panel..
    Isshins phone rings .
    Isshin: eh... hello...
    Ikumi : guess whos in my shower.,,, yeah he just showed up soaking wet.... I will send him home.
    Isshin: no I have a better idea,... keep him there..and ill show up as a shinigami. you can pretend you dont see me... He will follow me home....
    Ikumi : you think that will work... sounds like fun.
    Isshin: I know Ichigo... it will work.... oh and if you get the chance HEAD BUTT HIM FOR ME. might knock some sense into him
    Ikumi :Lol ... great ok... oh gotta go hes done with the shower.

Isshin jokes about Ichigo being gone for a while but Ichigo get's serious since his Faja is dressed in combat gear for a reason. Isshin spills that he knows what happened from Urahara. From the invasion to Ichigos broken Bankai and even the Zero Division. He even surmises that Ichigo was kicked out of Heaven (DAYUM!). He sort of speaks his thoughts as he starts to go into how Ichigo doesn't even know himself. Ichigo doesn't like this and gets emotional (again), his Faja understands and finally after years (in story and real) he begins the long awaited origins of Ichigo. KT is also delivering on his Isshin backstory he promised recently (hopefully its better than Kenpachi's...if that was even it).

So he tells Ichigo he isn't a Shinigami (true one at least) or a “normal” Human he then starts to tell Ichigo what his mother was which we already knew. A Quincy which means Ichigo is one as well. The flashback starts without the action this chapter severely lacked. A battle had just occurred between a hollow? and Captain Isshin (interesting). However while he had been beaten and injured, he was saved by a girl Quincy named Masaki Kurosaki.

The last panel being the second panel which I enjoyed from this chapter. Threw it in here for thrills.

My Thoughts

Ichigo is a Quincy. Hints were seen in the anime with his Quincy blanket, Isshin and Ryukens odd relationship, Aizens mention of him being different, his FINAL bankai, and obviously in this current arc he was told. It also explains his transcendence somewhat and why his Shinigami powers copied his Fathers. Lastly I always thought how it was weird that certain characters would seemingly emphasize his last name (Old man Yama, Aizen) and it's because that was his mother's name. That explains why no one knew whose son he was as well.

I think everyone was wondering when or how this Isshin flashback would happen and well, it fits for the most part. If we had gotten this any earlier it may have ruined the story a bit. Perhaps it would have been more interesting if Bach had told him though.

“IN THE FACE” is a reference to the Hangover. Great movie.

I cut out the “Hold Up” portion in this review because I didn't have an urge to, but promise me it will be back!

My Questions

Granpa Bach? Uncle Bach? Think about it. If not him maybe somebody else....

If Isshin was a captain and got beat how strong was Masaki? If KT wants to do this right he needs to explain how she couldn't handle Grand Fisher.

Predictions

It's never logical to predict a flashback, so I won't but I'm hoping we see some action scenes from Masaki. I'm sure we'll be given some information that we didn't even contemplate though. That's it for this week see ya next chapter!
    Last edited by Tenacious Weezy; February 27, 2013 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Added information on Shinigami badge

2. Thanks 6 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member hopeandlight's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bleach 528 The TW Review

yes I agree Masaki's power loss needs to be explained well
    final quincy form?
    ishida did get it back
    so maybe isshin and masaki agreed to give up their power?

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member DarkBankai's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks for the review- your resolve to press on is GREAT-

However, My inner quincy wants to point out something that you may wish to add as an addendum to your review-

It is Impossible to see the Badge,,,,, and NOT see a shinigami... as is evidenced several times already in the manga by ichigos friends from school.
    Therefore she only pretended not to see isshin.

Also- I suspect it went like this off panel..
    Isshins phone rings .
    Isshin: eh... hello...
    Ikumi : guess whos in my shower.,,, yeah he just showed up soaking wet.... I will send him home.
    Isshin: no I have a better idea,... keep him there..and ill show up as a shinigami. you can pretend you dont see me... He will follow me home....
    Ikumi : you think that will work... sounds like fun.
    Isshin: I know Ichigo... it will work.... oh and if you get the chance HEAD BUTT HIM FOR ME. might knock some sense into him
    Ikumi :Lol ... great ok... oh gotta go hes done with the shower.

Chapter resumes. lol.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks DarkBankai! I really didn't think THAT much about it. I did mention she has been involved in some of his full bringer adventures but there is significance I guess in her seeing his badge, hopefully it wasn't just a throw in like KT does sometimes.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the review, as good as the previous,but they are a bit too long... you can still improve yourself

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member devstauk's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Masaki's possible power loss due to having kids with a Shinigami fitting sacrifice?
    Spoiler show

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member DraMas26's Avatar
    Country
    Albania
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting you bought up about how people emphasise Ichigo's surname. 'Kurosaki' literally means 'Black Peninsula' or sth along those lines. A black peninsula in the middle of a bright blue ocean may have been foreshadowing as well.

BTW just out of curiosity, how come you get to do chapter reviews and have them stickied? Did you volunteer or sth? Just asking because only you and some guy from the Naruto forums does it.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by devstauk View Post
    Masaki's possible power loss due to having kids with a Shinigami fitting sacrifice?
    Could be possible. Best theory I heard was she lost her powers intentionally to hide with Isshin.

Quote Originally Posted by DraMas26 View Post
    Interesting you bought up about how people emphasise Ichigo's surname. 'Kurosaki' literally means 'Black Peninsula' or sth along those lines. A black peninsula in the middle of a bright blue ocean may have been foreshadowing as well.

BTW just out of curiosity, how come you get to do chapter reviews and have them stickied? Did you volunteer or sth? Just asking because only you and some guy from the Naruto forums does it.
    It's just voluntary, I do them because I want to and partially because no one else is (The Underscore) currently. I'm not sure who stickies them (guessing Haku or kkck tho) but I do appreciate it. I believe the Naruto reviewer is an official "reviewer" so he may have the power to do it himself or it could be the same for him. I am thinking about reviewing Naruto though however

Quote Originally Posted by mattiaildivino View Post
    thanks for the review, as good as the previous,but they are a bit too long... you can still improve yourself
    This has been noted and I will adjust accordingly. I may just break the chapters into 4-5 parts from now on.
    Last edited by Tenacious Weezy; March 04, 2013 at 04:36 AM.

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Hakuteiken's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DraMas26 View Post
    It's not as if the reviews are limited to only TW. You could also do your own reviews
    I'm not sure myself if the threads get to be super stickied manually, since I didn't stick them on my own. Could either be related to the review prefix or the job of a fellow mod.

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply