Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: 2nd Kenpachi ?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner nd1802's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

2nd Kenpachi ?

If all Kenpachi's came from killing the previous title holder of the name Kenpachi, how did the second Kenpachi become to be if the first one is still alive during Zaraki's time as the 11th Kenpachi?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Tenacious Weezy's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2nd Kenpachi ?

Good question, unfortunately no one but KT knows but obviously the tradition didn't start with the first.

~ Forum Fixer ~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Miyagi's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Unohana resigned from her position after she fought Zaraki. "Kenpachi" is the strongest warrior of an era, after Unohana saw that there was someone more powerful than her, she resigned knowing that Kenpachi would come and seize the title one day.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably there was a time when there was no kenpachi, and then there was someone else who was battle-crazy enough to become the 2nd. In that sense, we could call Unohana the 0th Kenpachi and number the rest from 1.
    Erfworld

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member eefrit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagi View Post
    I think Unohana resigned from her position after she fought Zaraki. "Kenpachi" is the strongest warrior of an era, after Unohana saw that there was someone more powerful than her, she resigned knowing that Kenpachi would come and seize the title one day.
    Pretty much this. There was no point in her keeping the title with that knowledge. As I mentioned in the chapter discussion, she probably gave the title to her lieutenant or some other stranger.
    Last edited by eefrit; February 15, 2013 at 08:35 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member NoOneInParticular's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Incidentally the 2nd Kenpachi should be the weakest of the lot, since every one after him gained the title by killing the previous holder, so they should have been getting progressively stronger through history. Even Zaraki killed the 10th when he was at a level where he was a joke compared to Unohana. Now after this 'training' session, he's presumably the first and only one to have ever surpassed her.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NoOneInParticular View Post
    Incidentally the 2nd Kenpachi should be the weakest of the lot, since every one after him gained the title by killing the previous holder, so they should have been getting progressively stronger through history. Even Zaraki killed the 10th when he was at a level where he was a joke compared to Unohana. Now after this 'training' session, he's presumably the first and only one to have ever surpassed her.
    Not necessarily, because shinigami don't have to always grow stronger. Maybe someone became too lazy and weak, thinking he's the strongest because he's the kenpachi and not the other way around, and then got killed.
    Erfworld

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner nd1802's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

But wasn't Zaraki already stronger than Yachiru Unohana, subconsciously putting barriers upon himself to enjoy their first fight?
    Last edited by nd1802; February 15, 2013 at 06:58 PM.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 0Xellos View Post
    Not necessarily, because shinigami don't have to always grow stronger. Maybe someone became too lazy and weak, thinking he's the strongest because he's the kenpachi and not the other way around, and then got killed.
    Yeah, I suppose so. I guess there could also have been instances of skill overcoming power and vice versa, so the better swordsman with the lower reiatsu prevailed.

---------- Post added at 01:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nd1802 View Post
    But wasn't Zaraki already stronger than Yachiru Unohana, subconsciously putting barriers upon himself to enjoy their first fight?
    Yes, but the barriers have kept him weaker than her since before their first fight even ended. From that point to just now, she's been the deadlier of the two.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member R3D's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder where does the kenpachis come from ? Do they get promoted or do they come from the streets and kill the current kenpachi and claim the title ? and why do they claim the title of kenpachi when clearly there are stronger captains besides them and why isnt yamamoto a kenpachi ? maybe a criteria to be a kenpachi is to have a pure melee zanpaktou like ikkakus and their zanpaktou has to have the current strongest melee type zanpaktou to be kenpachi ?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Bajan4eva1's Avatar
    Country
    Barbados
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zancrow View Post
    I wonder where does the kenpachis come from ? Do they get promoted or do they come from the streets and kill the current kenpachi and claim the title ? and why do they claim the title of kenpachi when clearly there are stronger captains besides them and why isnt yamamoto a kenpachi ? maybe a criteria to be a kenpachi is to have a pure melee zanpaktou like ikkakus and their zanpaktou has to have the current strongest melee type zanpaktou to be kenpachi ?
    Hmmm good questions. I bet Yama-ji probably just didn't want it. The title of Kenpachi probably comes with a whole slew of people always trying to challenge you. Someone would have to be seriously motivated/battle crazy to want the title. I'm curious as well as to how many of the kenpachi's came from off the street vs. from within the Gotei 13. I doubt one could get promoted without defeating/killing the previous kenpachi but I wonder what would happen if a Kenpachi dies in battle, say with a hollow, and leaves the seat empty. At that point I would love to see what the process is. In that case they may just pick the strongest one who actually wants the title. At least that would explain why other strong characters didn't take the title of Kenpachi...they just didn't want it.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Notak's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Assuming each Kenpachi didn't die in war/other conflicts, or simply chose to resign

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Athrin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zancrow View Post
    That would mean that the title of Kenpachi is a SS tradition as a whole, but there was never anything indicating that. IIRC, the title of Kenpachi is only passed down in the 11th (or whichever division Zaraki is the captain of) division, that eliminates everyone except those in that division. If we compare it to government, kenpachi is a state title, not a federal one.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

From the last chapter it seems to me that Unohana doesn't even acknowledge any of the other nine. I suppose from her POV since the 2nd one never killed her, he barely counts as a Kenpachi. Only Zaraki actually counts in her eyes, if I understood her sentiment correctly.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Tenacious Weezy's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

From the last chapter it seems to me that Unohana doesn't even acknowledge any of the other nine. I suppose from her POV since the 2nd one never killed her, he barely counts as a Kenpachi. Only Zaraki actually counts in her eyes, if I understood her sentiment correctly.
    Your absolutely right. Technically Zaraki is the true 2nd Kenpachi in a twisted way.

New Reply