Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 761 by cnet128 , Bleach 597 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Song Lyrics Thread

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Song Lyrics Thread

I know this a silly thread considering the fact that most songs aren't written in English. However, it's still possible to know what the songs are about even if they're translated. Discussion questions:
    • Which song lyrics are your favourites?
    • What are the most romantic/happy/sad/fierce/etc lyrics?
    • If the artist is a singer-songwriter who do you think has the best songwriting ability?
    • Do you like English being sprinkled into songs?

Remember to credit the translator or link to a source for common net courtesy!

I love Ayu's song lyrics- especially her ballads. Translations taken from here.

Most romantic:
    Spoiler: HEAVEN show

The saddest:
    Spoiler: SEASONS show

My preference is no English in the lyrics at all. Sometimes it's out of place, and often times grammatically incorrect. If one MUST add a word or two in a foreign language, I wish it would be something other than English; Sound Horizon for example has used French, Greek, German and Russian.

2. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Song Lyrics Thread

It's not a silly thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    Which song lyrics are your favourites?
    I guess I'll share my current favorite one:

Spoiler: EGOIST, All Alone With You show

What are the most romantic/happy/sad/fierce/etc lyrics?
    Let's see, I guess I'll add it as I think of it, but now I can share the most romantic lyrics I've heard so far:

Spoiler: Akiko Shikata, Sorriso show

• If the artist is a singer-songwriter who do you think has the best songwriting ability?
    • Do you like English being sprinkled into songs?
    supercell and EGOIST have their lyrics all done by the group's leader, ryo. And I have to say he's awesome in doing both, even though he said it was hard to think of words which were appropriate for the singers. Akiko Shikata sometimes writes her own lyrics, although in Sorriso it was someone else. Her lyrics are more calm, I think, if I compare it to ryo. I love both style.

ryo often adds English phrases or sentences in his lyrics. I personally don't mind as long as it matches the song. I don't really like how Japanese pronounce English sometimes because it sounds weird, but I suppose it's hard to overcome given their strong accent. I appreciate the effort, though. And also there are some Japanese with good English. Akiko Shikata, in other side, totally love to mix many languages in her songs. Sorriso is purely in Italian, but sometimes she add Italian or German or Greek or Hymmnos (from the game Ar tonelico) and who knows how many more she can add in a song. While I don't really mind songs like that, I prefer songs in one language from top to the end. I feel like it conveys the message stronger in one language. But that's just me, maybe. XD

And Asa-chan, Seasons lyrics is very sad but pretty!

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

There are beautifully written lyrics!

EGOIST sings the ending theme for Psycho-Pass, right? All Alone With You is a nice song as well.

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    supercell and EGOIST have their lyrics all done by the group's leader, ryo. And I have to say he's awesome in doing both, even though he said it was hard to think of words which were appropriate for the singers. Akiko Shikata sometimes writes her own lyrics, although in Sorriso it was someone else. Her lyrics are more calm, I think, if I compare it to ryo. I love both style.
    That's the tough part about being a songwriter whose songs are sung by other people. Although it may sound right in one's head, it might turn out completely different depending on who's singing. At least in All Alone With You, the vocalist does a good job interpreting ryo's lyrics.

Quote Quote:
    ryo often adds English phrases or sentences in his lyrics. I personally don't mind as long as it matches the song. I don't really like how Japanese pronounce English sometimes because it sounds weird, but I suppose it's hard to overcome given their strong accent. I appreciate the effort, though. And also there are some Japanese with good English. Akiko Shikata, in other side, totally love to mix many languages in her songs. Sorriso is purely in Italian, but sometimes she add Italian or German or Greek or Hymmnos (from the game Ar tonelico) and who knows how many more she can add in a song. While I don't really mind songs like that, I prefer songs in one language from top to the end. I feel like it conveys the message stronger in one language. But that's just me, maybe. XD
    There are times when accents disappear when singing, but sometimes it's hard to make out English words if the vocalist is obviously not used to the language. It also comes with confidence as well: if the singer belts out foreign lyrics without being afraid then the accent is not as noticeable. Shiina Ringo is a good example of someone who can sing in English even though she is not a native speaker.

Yeah, it can be confusing if more than one language is used in a single song. It's easier to understand what the song is about if the lyric is written the same throughout.

Quote Quote:
    And Asa-chan, Seasons lyrics is very sad but pretty!
    Isn't it? I remember I used to keep a log of Ayu's lyrics, and SEASONS was one of my favourites.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

EGOIST sings the ending theme for Psycho-Pass, right? All Alone With You is a nice song as well.
    Yes, for both endings. And I love them both.

That's the tough part about being a songwriter whose songs are sung by other people. Although it may sound right in one's head, it might turn out completely different depending on who's singing. At least in All Alone With You, the vocalist does a good job interpreting ryo's lyrics.
    Reading about it at Wikipedia, looks like it's especially hard for ryo because he originally composed pieces for Vocaloid to sing. Since it's not a living being, he said he didn't have to worry about strange or open lyrics. While he needs to be more thoughtful now because he composes for humans. Very interesting. But I agree that the singers do well in song interpretation. It comes with the right atmosphere. So kudos to both of them. XD

There are times when accents disappear when singing, but sometimes it's hard to make out English words if the vocalist is obviously not used to the language. It also comes with confidence as well: if the singer belts out foreign lyrics without being afraid then the accent is not as noticeable. Shiina Ringo is a good example of someone who can sing in English even though she is not a native speaker.

Yeah, it can be confusing if more than one language is used in a single song. It's easier to understand what the song is about if the lyric is written the same throughout.
    I guess so, eh? Confidence helps to sharpen the performance even if you actually can't do too well. I wonder if these singers have short session in English or something when they sing with it? Or in other languages if they sing in other languages. Listeners with their native language being used in the song can tell whether the singer does well or not, so I wonder if the singers do some 'research' before using a specific language in their song for best performance. XD ***
    Last edited by Charlie; March 31, 2013 at 07:22 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Yes, for both endings. And I love them both.
    Neat! I like the previous ED too. I'd have to check out more of her songs then.

Quote Quote:
    Reading about it at Wikipedia, looks like it's especially hard for ryo because he originally composed pieces for Vocaloid to sing. Since it's not a living being, he said he didn't have to worry about strange or open lyrics. While he needs to be more thoughtful now because he composes for humans. Very interesting. But I agree that the singers do well in song interpretation. It comes with the right atmosphere. So kudos to both of them. XD
    This makes sense: creating songs for Vocaloids and actual people are very different things. If something doesn't sound right, Ryo could easily adjust the program himself; it's harder to instruct someone else in comparison. (It's probably why I tend to prefer Vocaloid songs sung by Vocaloids as opposed to live covers because the "mechanical" voices are part of what makes up the songs.)

Quote Quote:
    I guess so, eh? Confidence helps to sharpen the performance even if you actually can't do too well. I wonder if these singers have short session in English or something when they sing with it? Or in other languages if they sing in other languages. Listeners with their native language being used in the song can tell whether the singer does well or not, so I wonder if the singers do some 'research' before using a specific language in their song for best performance. XD
    Perhaps singers might not need a session for short simple phrases, but it's definitely needed if they're going to sing a whole chorus, verse or even the entire song in a foreign language. Japanese speakers are able to manage Italian pronunciations well so I'm not sure why not a lot of people (with strong accents) go for Italian instead!

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope it's okay to write this here.

Anyway, sometimes I have trouble understanding Japanese lyrics. Not in understanding the English translation as it is, but to understand the whole atmosphere/theme of the song. For example:

Spoiler: Mizu no Akashi by Tanaka Rie/FictionJunction WAKANA show

The arrangement is beautiful, so Kajiura-ish. But I didn't really understand the whole meaning. Maybe because I don't follow the series it's used on (Mizu no Akashi is an insert song for Gundam Seed). Maybe I find the term "mizu no akashi" (token of water? I knew "akashi" as "proof" or "record"). When combined the words feel just strange. But I still enjoy the song.

Ever felt like that?

Banned 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Palau
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the sweetest.

Sen No Yoru Wo Koete

Spoiler: Sen No Yoru Wo Koete show

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the lyrics to AXIS - STEREO DIVE FOUNDATION especially the english part and how they go into it and come out of it in the song.

Spoiler show

The Acoustic version to it really helps with trying to say the same words IMO and then taking it to the original version of the song. Also the Pay Back Pay Back Face Up The Light, is my favorite part.

SoTaku is Love | Team Haikyuu!! | Team Hi-Fi Cluster | Team Food Wars!

New Reply