Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: That Winter, The Wind Blows

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

That Winter, The Wind Blows

TV Show: That Winter, The Wind Blows (literal title)
    Revised romanization: Geu Gyeowool, Barami Boonda
    Hangul: 그 겨울, 바람이 분다
    Director: Kim Kyu-Tae
    Writer: No Hee-Kyung
    Network: SBS
    Episodes: 16
    Release Date: February 13, 2013 --
    Runtime: Wednesday & Thursday 21:55
    Language: Korean

Plot

A man (Zo In-Sung) known as the best gambler in the Cheongdam neighborhood lives a meaningless life. His parents dumped at an early age and he lost his first lover. Meanwhile, a woman (Song Hye-Kyo) is the heir to a large corporation, but she is lonely. She has also lived through a difficult life. She lost her eyesight and her father passed away. The woman has to protect herself from those around her.

The plot itself does not sound like something special but it actually is because it provides the actors with the opportunity to show the best acting in a drama i have seen in a long time. The cinematography is on a movie level, all actors, even the smallest supporting characters, show an exceptional performance, the OST is spot on and of course we have a really beautiful couple.

I hope those who are interested in Asian drama will watch and discuss it here with me

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: That Winter, The Wind Blows

Yooooooosh~ Discussion time!

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    The plot itself does not sound like something special but it actually is because it provides the actors with the opportunity to show the best acting in a drama i have seen in a long time. The cinematography is on a movie level, all actors, even the smallest supporting characters, show an exceptional performance, the OST is spot on and of course we have a really beautiful couple.
    I agree about the plot. To be honest when I first read it, the summary wasn't that interesting. I marked it out because of the actors. I know the four leading and supporting characters, liked them from their series before, so definitely checking this one.

Have you seen up to episode 3? Oh Soo is actually kind of mean to take this chance to steal from a blind girl, but I guess he was in a pinch as well. Although he didn't live a happy life, he still wants to go on living. Probably for the sake of the lost one? Oh Young is even more sad. She was so bitter, trusting no one, cold, and sad. I share her feelings when she totally rejected Soo for not asking her why she became blind and how she felt about it. Very simple and natural, but hits on spot. And no need to say I love Kim Bum and Jung Eun Ji as a couple there, LOL~ They're funny and fresh together. I think I haven't seen this kind of badass Kim Bum before, so it's good so far.

The soundtrack... I feel as if it's K.Will's voice or one of 4MEN's voice. Unique, and I feel I know that voice somewhere.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the actors were definitely the reason for me to watch this one but it was also because of the writer and director. Both worked together two times before, namely for Padam Padam and Worlds Within and both were exceptional dramas.

Yeah, i have seen all episodes available right now. I think both main leads are rather complicated characters. Oh Soo who finds himself unable to love anyone due to his past, he has no grand reason to live but still clings on life. I think that this scene was one of the highlights in the drama so far.
    Spoiler show

I do agree with you, one of the events that shaped his characters is probably the death of his ex-gf. He pretends to not care but the fact that he keeps the little sister of her around says enough in my opinion.
    Oh Young on the other hand has completely shut herself off. A father who does not give a damn about you, the secretary who is the reason why she lost her mother and brother, a fiancée she does not really like but had to accept because of her father, a brother who did not want anything to do with her (everything from her point of view of course) made her disillusioned about other people. The psychological conflicts that arise from these two personalities really keeps me on edge.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the actors were definitely the reason for me to watch this one but it was also because of the writer and director. Both worked together two times before, namely for Padam Padam and Worlds Within and both were exceptional dramas.
    Ah, I didn't watch them~ I guess I'll give them a try later after we see things through with this drama.

I think that this scene was one of the highlights in the drama so far.
    Spoiler show
    Agreed, very much. Jo In Sung did well at that scene, like he was really fragile, he dislikes living but doesn't want to die either. I was touched. Awesome sentences as well.

I do agree with you, one of the events that shaped his characters is probably the death of his ex-gf. He pretends to not care but the fact that he keeps the little sister of her around says enough in my opinion.
    Oh Young on the other hand has completely shut herself off. A father who does not give a damn about you, the secretary who is the reason why she lost her mother and brother, a fiancée she does not really like but had to accept because of her father, a brother who did not want anything to do with her (everything from her point of view of course) made her disillusioned about other people. The psychological conflicts that arise from these two personalities really keeps me on edge.
    The secretary sometimes looks good, sometimes bad. But then again if she's good she wouldn't let the father die, no? -__- But she looks like she genuinely cares for the girl who looked for her help when she was little. But she also seems to have conspiracy with the fiancee, which I don't like. I remember what Kim Bum and Jung Eun Ji talked about: everyone around her only wants her money. So I think it applies for all. The only one seems "good" at this point is that lawyer. He seems sincere enough. I hope he won't betray Young.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, the drama manages to blur the line between good and bad. Just like you said, the secretary, in a moment of greed, let the father die, though how much she could have done is debatable anyway. On the other hand, she seems to genuinely care for Young. Besides, look at it this way. She may be the reason why Young´s parents split up but she still acted like a mother for Young for such a long time and that while being insulted and neglected. I think her love and care for Young stems from her guilt. I also can not blame the fiancée really. He was probably, just like Young, forced into an arranged marriage with someone who is not willing at all. That he would try to make the best of the situation, namely take the company, is something i can actually understand. The only one who actually can be blamed in this situation is Oh Soo but we not even do that since he is the main character, thus we explore his personality and start to understand him. Personally, i like that there is not the usual "bad", makes the drama more interesting and unpredictable.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Lovely explanation. Yes, that's exactly what I feel so far. It's still early to the series so we can't declare on everything properly, but that's why it's interesting because there are two sides to everyone and everything. I can't even blame Soo for what he did; he reacted unconsciously, I think, to defend his life. On the other hand he seemed to be a good boy; he was an orphan, but when he came to look for his friend he said "Hyung gave me house blablabla" with Hyung referring to Soo. Sounds as if he lived dirty to support the friends/other orphans possibly.

The mysteries now are the riddle given by Young and how/when Young will realize that it's not the real Soo.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I expect her to realize it rather early. Even if he solves the riddle now, which should be hard enough if there is no mention of it in the videos, it is bound to happen sooner than later. In the end it is still a romance story, so i doubt that they will go down the incest road and will start something while Young mistakes him as her brother. You can already see that he is attracted to her, both emotionally and physically, the latter is apparent in the scene in which she is changing and he stumbles upon her.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I expect it to be early too, but how early will it be, I wonder. Since Soo said he would only stay for three months, to complete his promise to return the debt after 100 days. My random guess is that Soo would take up the seat as the next CEO as the brother even though Young knows it's not her real brother.

Ah, yes, I remember that sentence. "I, who wants to live, meets a girl who wants to die. And I'm curious to know her more."

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, it is been a long time since i was this psyched about an Asian drama, the last time was probably either "Tree with Deep Roots" or "Padam Padam"

---------- Post added February 21, 2013 at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was February 17, 2013 at 03:34 PM ----------

Normally, i would not jump the gun like this but i just know that this drama will end up in my top 5 of all time dramas

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Normally, i would not jump the gun like this but i just know that this drama will end up in my top 5 of all time dramas
    Me too.

It's getting on me even though it's only 5 episodes so far. And the preview for episode 6 is the best one so far, I totally can't wait for it! Feelings growing, choices have to be made. It's getting strange but also twisted that Young wants to die desperately. She also seems interested in the Soo she met that day, so I can't help wondering how exactly will she be able to love him, since as MM said I don't believe it'd go the incest way.

And of course, what makes me most curious is still the secretary. Just what exactly is her motive? Is she good or bad? I hope her character will not be disappointing. -__- But it's so funny to see how Young teased the lawyer about his feelings, even the secretary herself knows about it! XDD

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I see 4 possible endings right now:

Both survive and we get a happy ending (rather unlikely)
    Soo is the one who dies after teaching her what living really is
    Young is the one who dies after giving him a reason for his life
    Both die, she from her tumor and he because he takes the pill

Btw, i am probably one of the few who actually likes the gangster as a character. I don´t know whether i identify myself with him because i was in the same role once (nice guy who loved a girl who in turn fell for a "bad boy" who treated her badly, without all the death stuff though) but i think his actions are understandable even if i think that Oh Soo does not deserve that. All characters are frighteningly human in this drama, they all have a deep scar which was caused by other people who in turn were scarred in their life, Oh Soo by his mother who abandoned him under a tree, the gangster who saw his love die right in front of him because of an "asshole" (from his point of view), Hee Sun who lost her Unni, the secretary who wanted to be the wife and mother but was treated as a sex object by the father and as a disposable subordinate by everyone else, Jin-Sung who is constantly hurt by his father and of course Young who is getting hurt by everyone around her, even if that is not their intention. Good and bad are pretty much indistinct in this drama because every character is a victim of this cycle and is thus understandable in its actions which is one of the reasons this drama is so good.

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

TWTWB is adapted from two films with different titles but similar plot before, and one of my friends splendidly spoiled me with the ending. *is so so so sad* I can only hope they make the ending different, but hard to see that now. *bangs head somewhere*

Anyway, I agree with what you said, MM. To me everything looks simple and complicated. We can pinpoint the very reason but many other things complicate it to the point that good and bad is no longer certain. Everyone needs something from those around them and willing to use them for that, though deep inside they're just looking for place and people who accept them.

Today I read in other forum some short articles about the casts, and how praises are coming in, especially for Jo In Sung who portrayed Soo character in an awesome way. His expressions, especially, caught the attention of viewers. To me, yes, truly. He is alive, his character is alive. Song Hye Gyo too did the job of a cold lady well, as well as the supporting characters. Loving it.

Raw for next episode is out at DramaCrazy. Gosh, can subs come out super fast? The preview looks totally amazing.

And some jewels I found last night. Be careful, it can be rather spoiler-ish~

---------- Post added February 28, 2013 at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was February 27, 2013 at 10:53 PM ----------

The long-awaited episode 6 is finally here. My god, I was rather nervous watching the episode, LOL~ I'm also getting more excited because things are going to change from now on: more suspicions, more feelings, more complications, more and more love. Listening to the songs today after watching episode 6 feels a bit different compared to last night, LOL~

I almost cried with Soo and Young. How much they want to die but also they wish to live somewhere inside their heart, how love grows between them, how painful it is also for Jin Sung and Hee Sun and Moo Chul... So much feelings.

And one other song:

Last edited by phio_chan; February 28, 2013 at 07:25 AM.

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Kyouria's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for sharing those songs!

The drama is so heart-breaking at times - other times it's confusing, angry, and all these other emotions that it puts me through. I haven't watched a drama with this many rollarcoasters in a long time! It's like a journey and the drama always keeps me asking questions. Sometimes the "cliche" things don't happen too. Excuse my drama spazzzingggg T_T Am I alone in this?

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouria View Post
    Thanks so much for sharing those songs!

The drama is so heart-breaking at times - other times it's confusing, angry, and all these other emotions that it puts me through. I haven't watched a drama with this many rollarcoasters in a long time! It's like a journey and the drama always keeps me asking questions. Sometimes the "cliche" things don't happen too. Excuse my drama spazzzingggg T_T Am I alone in this?
    You're welcome.

LOL~ No, you're not alone. I finished the latest episode with rather wet eyes and nose. I don't know, to me this series feels simple; what Soo and Young said and wanted were simple. It was basic, yet people tend to ignore that basic things and think too complicated. We do sometimes, and it's just sad when we are being reminded that way. So no, you're definitely not alone, lol.

What do you think of the characters so far?

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    You're welcome.

LOL~ No, you're not alone. I finished the latest episode with rather wet eyes and nose. I don't know, to me this series feels simple; what Soo and Young said and wanted were simple. It was basic, yet people tend to ignore that basic things and think too complicated. We do sometimes, and it's just sad when we are being reminded that way. So no, you're definitely not alone, lol.

What do you think of the characters so far?
    Soo is someone who carried the trauma of being abandoned by his mother all his life. It made him unable to love and also appreciate the people around him. The only person who was able to break that "shell" he was in was his past girlfriend. Even if he never understood why she loved him so much, he still appreciated and loved her with all his heart. Over time, she probably could have healed his trauma but then came the pregnancy which brought up his trauma, all his insecurities about his past and so forth, thus he panicked of course. As a 19 year old boy who was never educated, taught or brought up properly, he did not know anything else than run away from the situation. Unfortunately, he was very unlucky, indirectly causing her death. After that, he was forced into being the "trash" and the bad guy by his environment. The little sister who constantly nags him, the gangster who blames him and so forth forced him into being what he is. Being stamped as the bad guy, he was never allowed to properly grief, feel guilty or regret, thus he was also never able to overcome her death. He accepted his role as "trash" and as the bad guy, not only because everyone thinks that but he himself thinks that about himself.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast