Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2) , Gintama 514 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: That Winter, The Wind Blows

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: That Winter, The Wind Blows

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Soo is someone who carried the trauma of being abandoned by his mother all his life. It made him unable to love and also appreciate the people around him. The only person who was able to break that "shell" he was in was his past girlfriend. Even if he never understood why she loved him so much, he still appreciated and loved her with all his heart. Over time, she probably could have healed his trauma but then came the pregnancy which brought up his trauma, all his insecurities about his past and so forth, thus he panicked of course. As a 19 year old boy who was never educated, taught or brought up properly, he did not know anything else than run away from the situation. Unfortunately, he was very unlucky, indirectly causing her death. After that, he was forced into being the "trash" and the bad guy by his environment. The little sister who constantly nags him, the gangster who blames him and so forth forced him into being what he is. Being stamped as the bad guy, he was never allowed to properly grief, feel guilty or regret, thus he was also never able to overcome her death. He accepted his role as "trash" and as the bad guy, not only because everyone thinks that but he himself thinks that about himself.
    I completely agree.

Soo and the rest of the characters are lonely people. Those who sincerely stands with them somehow goes away, and it makes them scared very much, thus living life with a cold mask. What Young said about "they do not need forgiveness, but consolation" more or less sums it up. I find it simple but sad and touching at the same time too, reminding them how lonely they actually are. And yet when they find each other like this they manage to let go some of those feelings slowly but surely.

At the moment I feel bad for Jin Sung and Hee Sun. There's no greater pain for Jin Sung to see Hee Sun running after Soo (he may as well turn into Moo Chul junior as story goes by, I'm afraid). And it's also painful for Hee Sun to love a man who killed her sister but she can't stop her feelings.

---------- Post added March 07, 2013 at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was March 03, 2013 at 01:45 PM ----------

I don't understand myself why episode 8 made me cry quite much. Maybe because I feel the tense, the climax is coming, Soo talking and doing that since he only has 31 days left, and Young is getting even more sick? But that preview is again very, very interesting. I so can't wait for the next episode. T_T

Everything's tangled into one, so confusing. Top #1 curiosity per today will be Moo Chul.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Just watched the latest episode, i guess it was full of "fan service". The plot did not really thicken in this chapter, it was hinted just like you said phio, especially with Soo´s voice-over and him admitting that he will be extremely hurt by this facade.
    Everyone seems to dislike or even hate Moo Chul but i like his character. His actions do make sense to me, considering what he lost and that he will die soon.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone seems to dislike or even hate Moo Chul but i like his character. His actions do make sense to me, considering what he lost and that he will die soon.
    I don't really dislike him, though not particularly in love with him either. As you said, his actions make sense. His feelings, being devastated, his hatred, it makes sense and feels real. I have to say that the introduction to him being sick and this new character named Sun Hee (what kind of pun is this, we have another role named Hee Sun) was unclear and sudden. I believe we will get to see more in the future so I'll wait patiently for that. XD

I read reviews/recaps from other websites and how viewers were rather uncomfortable with the closeness of Soo and Young as siblings. I'm not sure myself since I don't have an elder brother, but if they're the only ones they have for each other, who they trust, to be a bit closer than usual isn't very surprising, no? Especially since Young is blind so all she can do is touch to know more about her brother.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    I don't really dislike him, though not particularly in love with him either. As you said, his actions make sense. His feelings, being devastated, his hatred, it makes sense and feels real. I have to say that the introduction to him being sick and this new character named Sun Hee (what kind of pun is this, we have another role named Hee Sun) was unclear and sudden. I believe we will get to see more in the future so I'll wait patiently for that. XD

I read reviews/recaps from other websites and how viewers were rather uncomfortable with the closeness of Soo and Young as siblings. I'm not sure myself since I don't have an elder brother, but if they're the only ones they have for each other, who they trust, to be a bit closer than usual isn't very surprising, no? Especially since Young is blind so all she can do is touch to know more about her brother.
    You are right that the introduction was sudden but it makes sense to be honest. Moo Chul is dying but before he dies, he wants to enjoy tormenting Oh Soo as much as he can. Furthermore, i don´t mind the introduction of the nuna Sun Hee since Moo Chul and Oh Soo have a long history, possibly starting in the orphanage.

That is a tough nut to crack. To tell you the truth, i do think that it is a bit awkward, considering that they are both adults. While kissing on the cheek is pretty normal in my culture, sleeping together, hugging from behind and so forth are things that a couple do, and not siblings, unless of course they have a space problem in the house. On the other hand, i do think that it makes sense. Oh Soo does not love her as a sibling but as a woman while Young has never felt any warmth and love since her childhood. She pretty much stayed a child mentally. Furthermore, it has actually been addressed in the drama itself. Secretary Wang was furious after learning that they have slept together in one bed while Oh Soo informed Young that even though she is his sibling, he also is still a man. So, i don´t really have a problem with that. I don´t think that it is because of her blindness though. Of course there are scenes that can be explained with that (for example her wanting to know how he looks, so she touches his face and so forth) but the hugging around, sleeping together don´t really have anything to do with that.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

You are right that the introduction was sudden but it makes sense to be honest. Moo Chul is dying but before he dies, he wants to enjoy tormenting Oh Soo as much as he can. Furthermore, i don´t mind the introduction of the nuna Sun Hee since Moo Chul and Oh Soo have a long history, possibly starting in the orphanage.
    Their history is something that has to be shown. From the flashback we have so far although both loved the same girl Soo and Moo Chul seemed to be quite in a good relationship (relatively) compared to after Hee Joo died. And I think they're very similar to each other; sacrificing themselves to help others. Like how Soo paid for the living expenses of his friends from the orphanage (I guess), Moo Chul seems to also pay for Sun Hee and some other people living the way he is now. I wonder just who Sun Hee is.

That is a tough nut to crack. To tell you the truth, i do think that it is a bit awkward, considering that they are both adults. While kissing on the cheek is pretty normal in my culture, sleeping together, hugging from behind and so forth are things that a couple do, and not siblings, unless of course they have a space problem in the house. On the other hand, i do think that it makes sense. Oh Soo does not love her as a sibling but as a woman while Young has never felt any warmth and love since her childhood. She pretty much stayed a child mentally. Furthermore, it has actually been addressed in the drama itself. Secretary Wang was furious after learning that they have slept together in one bed while Oh Soo informed Young that even though she is his sibling, he also is still a man. So, i don´t really have a problem with that. I don´t think that it is because of her blindness though. Of course there are scenes that can be explained with that (for example her wanting to know how he looks, so she touches his face and so forth) but the hugging around, sleeping together don´t really have anything to do with that.
    The 'sexual' scenes made sense if we think that Soo was just pretending to be the brother, and as we all can see he already fell in love with Young. The problem is that he's supposed to pretend to be one. He did well in front of the others, but when they're alone it's a bit uncomfortable, I guess: going on vacation together, sleeping, hugging, and so on. For me even kissing is actually surprising, lol, but I always return to the point where I think that Soo is having a hard time to control his own feelings. So while he can lie to Young by saying that it's all brotherly act, he can't say the same thing to Secretary Wang for example because they know things better than Young.

Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen a few episodes of this series - I don't have the main characters names off the top off my head but it was really a sad scene where
    the main female lead's brother was killed. I'm not sure if I will follow the series but it has caught my interest.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope you'll continue and I hope that you'll like it too, Charlie! The cast is amazing, in my opinion, even if the plot is sometimes strange, maybe. ^^;

Latest episodes are.. sad for me. Everyone knows the secret, everyone holds back, getting their cards ready, someone is ready to die more than ever while the other one finally admits the hope to live... They fight, they try to live to the fullest, with complications here and there. It's entangled together that I'm not sure how this will end. T__T

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Kyouria's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Highlight of episode 15 part 2 is most definitely the laugh of (forgot his name) - Lawyer someone.
    Spoiler show

There are so many kind people (just as much as they are corrupt) in That Winter, The Wind Blows. Then the random ads that show get annoying - makes me wish I had Korean Cable.

Spoiler show

This drama feels realistic, much like the drama - The World We Live In (ironically, I think the female lead was also in it).

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouria View Post
    This drama feels realistic, much like the drama - The World We Live In (ironically, I think the female lead was also in it).
    The writer and director of this drama worked together twice before, on Worlds Within (or The World We Live In) and on Padam Padam, both dramas that had a very realistic atmosphere and characters, even if the latter had a fantasy touch to it. Furthermore, like you said, Song Hye-Kyo was also the lead in Worlds Within.

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

It's ending soon... One more episode. Need to prepare myself for this week!

Highlight of episode 15 part 2 is most definitely the laugh of (forgot his name) - Lawyer someone.
    Spoiler show
    Haha, I know right. I didn't expect Lawyer Jang -- that's his name -- to laugh at that point. At first I didn't understand that he cooked the soup. Anyway he had been very stressful ever since he started to doubt the Soo he brought to this house, and probably he felt guilty as well. So yeah, it was great. And the parts with Soo watching from far away was sad yet sweet. Much like guardian angel. And to see how his attitude changed to go as far as helping another blind person.

Spoiler show

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm afraid for the ending, you have no idea!

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm afraid for the ending, you have no idea!
    Have you seen it?

Spoiler: Ending show

Anyway, it was a fun ride.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes. I finished watching Episode 16 last night. What did you think about it?
    Spoiler show

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes. I finished watching Episode 16 last night. What did you think about it?
    Spoiler show
    I hate responding in spoiler tags.

Spoiler show

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2