Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Kingdom Hangout Thread

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member junjun2's Avatar
    Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kingdom by HARA Yasuhisa

Official site for KINGDOM anime 2nd season
    there will be a total of 39 episodes.
    http://www9.nhk.or.jp/anime/kingdom2/index.html

You can see arts of some characters.

I can't wait

---------- Post added May 31, 2013 at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was May 15, 2013 at 11:34 PM ----------

The trailer of episode 1 is out!!

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zehahaha's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    This is really an interesting development. Ten wants to become a stragetist in order to keep up with everyone, especially Shin. I have no idea though how things will develop considering that the place, where she is supposed to study, belongs to the Ryo faction. On the other hand, i don´t get the feeling that Ryo will be a huge obstacle, unlike Sei´s half brother for example. I think Ryo will be the second Ouki, impressed and persuaded by Sei´s dream to unite the seven kingdoms or, maybe even a better comparison, similar to Thorkell in Vinland Saga.
    Since this manga basically talks about Qin Shi Huangdi (aka Ei Sei, or Zheng), Ryofui (which should be Lu Buwei) will kill himself because he was plotting a coup d'etat
    While the manga doesn't follow the historical facts exactly, the major events are still there : Ei Sei's brother rebellion for example

---------- Post added June 13, 2013 at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was June 07, 2013 at 03:20 PM ----------

Chapters are out in mangareader

Spoiler show
    Last edited by Zehahaha; June 13, 2013 at 11:48 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member marshall313's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

This manga is already become my second best manga of all time.

And it would be amazing if shin will learn kyuokai's dance of the sword techniques.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member sabret00the's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Either the manga or the anime has gotten the names tragically wrong. Judging by the anime actually printing the name contrary to the subs, I'm guessing it's the anime. So why doesn't the anime start correcting the names?

That's slightly off-topic however it does segue neatly into my real question, what scenes do you feel the anime has done better than the manga? And do you feel the anime sells the manga short in any way?
    *Have you taken a look at Onepunch-Man? You should consider it, it's a great manga!

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends if they use the chinese or the japanese name. You should read one of turnip farmer first posts for more explanations.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

A bit of information on the naming

Spoiler show

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kewl0210's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Those reasons still sound pretty ridiculous to me. "Because you can look them up we're not using them." and "Because some characters don't have Chinese names". And "We're changing the names of PLACES but not PEOPLE"... Really seems just like... silly. Not to mention arbitrary. It takes place in China and the characters are Chinese. 80% of the characters are historical figures. Most have Wikipedia pages in Chinese or Japanese. That's simply how the two languages interacted and how they are known between cultures historically. You wouldn't write "Finsento Fan Gohho" because it's pronounced that way in Japanese. Or "Majellan" as "Mazeran" or anything like that. You write it as how the person's name is actually written in English or in the original language. I see it as similar to using Japanese suffixes in a manga that takes place in Europe or America with clearly non-Japanese characters. And I seriously don't understand their argument for "We're just making first and last names one word, too." thing at all.

Here are a couple in English:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%BC_Buwei
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_Mu
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lian_Po
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ying_Zheng

Any anime or manga based in China, like anything related to the Three Kingdoms does the same thing, they use Chinese names.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Three_Kingdoms

And honestly I'm pretty annoyed with that group anyhow as they basically forced me out of translating it because they wouldn't compromise at all or listen to any opinions other than their own. They basically publicly disparaged me and the group I was working with when I was doing the manga, too. Whereas if they wanted to be mature about it or had some problem, they should've done so in private. But I can't do anything about it at this point, so to each their own. I don't wanna start any grudge matches about something silly like this. I'll be continuing to use the Chinese names for the anime, obviously.
    Last edited by kewl0210; June 22, 2013 at 06:22 PM.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kewl0210 View Post
    Those reasons still sound pretty ridiculous to me. "Because you can look them up we're not using them." and "Because some characters don't have Chinese names". And "We're changing the names of PLACES but not PEOPLE"... Really seems just like... silly. Not to mention arbitrary. It takes place in China and the characters are Chinese. 80% of the characters are historical figures. Most have Wikipedia pages in Chinese or Japanese. That's simply how the two languages interacted and how they are known between cultures historically. You wouldn't write "Finsento Fan Gohho" because it's pronounced that way in Japanese. Or "Majellan" as "Mazeran" or anything like that. You write it as how the person's name is actually written in English or in the original language. I see it as similar to using Japanese suffixes in a manga that takes place in Europe or America with clearly non-Japanese characters. And I seriously don't understand their argument for "We're just making first and last names one word, too." thing at all.

Here are a couple in English:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%BC_Buwei
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_Mu
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lian_Po
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ying_Zheng

Any anime or manga based in China, like anything related to the Three Kingdoms does the same thing, they use Chinese names.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Three_Kingdoms

And honestly I'm pretty annoyed with that group anyhow as they basically forced me out of translating it because they wouldn't compromise at all or listen to any opinions other than their own. They basically publicly disparaged me and the group I was working with when I was doing the manga, too. Whereas if they wanted to be mature about it or had some problem, they should've done so in private. But I can't do anything about it at this point, so to each their own. I don't wanna start any grudge matches about something silly like this. I'll be continuing to use the Chinese names for the anime, obviously.
    But when the Chinese names don't line up with what's being said on screen and you have the anime displaying names on screen contrary to what the subs say, doesn't it then compromise the integrity of what you're offering? In the latest episodes you have the audio corresponding to the on screen displays and both of those being contradicted by the subs, that's just confusing for the viewer. Surely respecting the anime should come first?

I personally think regardless of pride or preference, at the point something is displayed on screen, all future references should match that. Kinda like how I used to call it a "gif" and since I've been corrected I now say "jif".
    Last edited by sabret00the; June 23, 2013 at 11:17 AM.
    *Have you taken a look at Onepunch-Man? You should consider it, it's a great manga!

Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

@kewl

I do agree that the names, places, should be in Chinese, best example is The Ravages of Time where the name are in Chinese, although at the beginning it was pretty tough to get accustomed to them

If I recall right too, the anime " Sangokushi " showed the names in Japanese/Chinese, although the pronounciation was in Japanese (for example, Cao Cao was pronounced " Soso " while normally it is pronounced " Tsao Tsao ", but that's because Cao Cao's name was known in Japan as " Soso ")

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

It's funny this battle of names when, for me, what would matter most, is that manga titles where translated an not just romanized. 'Youkai apato no yuuga na nichijou', am I supposed to understand what this title means ? As for Japanese or Chinese names, I really don't care. Like they say, most westerners don't know about china history and it's not like the manga itself was really faithful. I mean the chapters released today are complete fantasy. And to be honest Japanese names are more easier than Chinese ones which one don't even know how they pronounce.

As for the story itself, I don't really like this Houken character and the fact that he is invincible. I could have lived without this inner god thing. Otherwise, Shin unit suffers major casualties for the first time and I wonder what impact it will have later on. It contrasts a lot with the miracle 'no death' from previous day even if so far it seems only anons are dead.
    Last edited by k-dom; June 23, 2013 at 04:39 PM. Reason: forgot a word...

Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post

As for the story itself, I don't really like this Houken character and the fact that he is invincible. I could have lived without this inner god thing. Otherwise, Shin suffers major casualties for the first time and I wonder what impact it will have later on. It contrasts a lot with the miracle 'no death' from previous day even if so far it seems only anons are dead.
    He seemed to be knocked out, he wasn't injured by Houken as he managed to block his Spear with his sword... But yeah, not a fan of Houken too and this whole Chi thing either

But then again, wasn't this Chi/Ki thing introduced at the assassination attempt by Ryo Fui ? Those bald assassins did say something about hardening their bodies with Ki or god know what else
    Last edited by Zehahaha; June 23, 2013 at 04:56 PM.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I wanted to say Shin unit.
    And I'm not bother by the use of Ki but by the Bushin.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I don´t think the Chi thing is a problem. Both Houken and Kyoukai are martial artists, thus different from the rest who are fighting in the war and it is no secret that martial artist in the past and even now, especially from China, believe in something called Chi or inner energy in general which can be channeled through training, including Neigong. It is neither inaccurate nor illogical to include that principle in a fight of two martial artists. Of course i also hope that this does not drift into the supernatural but right now, i don´t see the danger of that happening.

Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm afraid that it may lead to something supernatural... I don't want to see anything more supernatural than Kyoukai's dance

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't lead to anything majorly supernatural. You have to remember that Shin is the protagonist and that he doesn't harbour any such abilities.

New Reply
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast