Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)

View Poll Results: In OP, is there a good balance between panels about figths and panels about plot develpment?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • There is a good balance between the two kind of panels

19 79.17%
  • There should be more panel about fights

2 8.33%
  • There should be more panels about plot development

3 12.50%
  • Other, please explain it

0 0%
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Too few panels for fights in OP?

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Too few panels for fights in OP?

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    Exactly the same Oda who write one piece since 15 years now. Whatever genious he is, when there is fight, the plot can't progress. So even if I agree that they are necessary for the epicness of the story, having one per character is for me to much especially for an intermediary arc. That's quite a dilemna, Oda has chosen to give all his characters some screentime when other mangaka focus only on the main character. That is something I like in One piece so far but with the crew increasing it has also become a drawback
    Does the manga have a good balance between fighting panels and plot development panels? Or, there is something to be improved about it? Also, is that good for a shonen?

As for me, I would like to see more fighting panels, even if that means, as k-dom pointed, that the plot drags a bit. Of course, the fighting panels owe its flavor to the plot development panels. But I have to admit that the plot development is that good, that I also can enjoy it without much fighting panels. Zoro vs Monet is an example from this arc.

Also to put it in k-dom words: how much do you care about epicness, and how much about plot development? (I bet k-dom doesn’t care much about epicness.)
    Last edited by ukimix; February 19, 2013 at 02:33 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member UnknownMugiwara's Avatar
    Country
    Denmark
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Too few panels for fights in OP?

I agree with way too many main characters is a drawback, and I think Oda knows it too seeing how he didn't just let Jinbei join Luffy because he (luffy) challenged Big Mam. Instead he had Jinbei take care of his business himself (for now).
    Also I hope that Jinbei is the final member of crew, and if not, I hope that the final member won't be around 'till one of the last arcs (kinda like Brook in part 1).
    Brook wanted: DEAD OR ALIVE!
    Yohohohohohohoho! Marine Joke!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RichardMNixon's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the balance between fight and plot is fine, although there's a bit too much of neither some times (e.g. party scenes).

One Piece also gets mad props for having intelligible fight scenes rather than swaths of angry black slashes. Eight pages of those make for a pretty lousy chapter.
    The Grain Pirates. Scourge of Spelt, Corsairs of Corn, Rogues of Rye, Buccaneers of Barley, the Freebooters of the Farmland.
    What reason is there to stop a man from sailing?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Fixit's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

i think the fight panels have decreased a lot after the time skip. not that I like a lot of fights, since the plot wouldnt progress that much, but I think is something necessary for the style of the manga. i really hope that the fights against the big shots (like doflamingo for example) wll take more than a few pages. these kinds os fights is what I've been waiting since the beginning pf the manga

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

One Piece strikes the right balance, generally saving battles for the climax of arcs, or sagas. It generally does not feel like storytelling grinds to a halt when the fighting begins, but that the action is an organic, essential part of the manga. Punk Hazard definitely had less action than usual, but as the first arc in the saga, that should be expected. Most of the arc was needed to establish the storyline for the saga.
    Last edited by Kaiten; February 19, 2013 at 11:12 PM.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Mr. Arashi's Avatar
    Country
    Chile
    Post Thanks / Like

My opinion is that mostly fights in One Piece sucks. Oda only does right K.O fights with a little movements to help the development of that moment... and how nobody dies, it really hasn't an end.

I usually don't expect good battles but there's some of my appretiation like Crocodile Vs Luffy -round 1-, Usopp Vs Perona, Kuma Vs Zoro and Luffy Vs Hebi sisters. Anyway, this an adventure manga and fights happens so doesn't matter to me so much.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zehahaha's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    One Piece strikes the right balance, generally saving battles for the climax of arcs, or sagas. It generally does not feel like storytelling grinds to a halt when the fighting begins, but that the action is an organic, essential part of the manga. Punk Hazard definitely had less action than usual, but as the first arc in the saga, that should be expected. Most of the arc was needed to establish the storyline for the saga.
    That's not the point I think, corret me if I'm wrong Ukimix, but I think you meant how much panels Oda dedicates for fighting, and how much he dedicates for plot
    I think the plot primes rather than fighting, especially in EL arc. Many good fight were a bit ruined because Oda either introduces comedy or plot and breaks the pace, one example is Kaku vs Zoro, the fight lost its greatness when Usopp was around and because of the jokes, ruined the pace for me completely, it is until Usopp got beaten by Jyabura and Sanji came that it got better

I think Oda should consider dedicating complete chapters to big fights IMO, especially Luffy/Zoro/Sanji, these three deserve that IMO

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Anduren's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

As a shounen, I guess the audience (on average) is more interested in action. But I think Oda actually wants to tell a great story to the audience while using the action to hold their attention. In my opinion, one of the reasons that One Piece is popular on a larger range of age groups is because the actual in depth story aspect of it has great value with the action as a bonus.

But thinking of it in terms of manga AND anime, the more action scenes there are, the faster those scenes will go in the anime meaning that there will be a lot of fillers (like what happens in Bleach). Personally, I like One Piece more for it's plot than the action so I don't mind shorter action scenes. But its still a personal preference for each person.
    Last edited by Anduren; February 20, 2013 at 04:23 PM.

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zehahaha View Post
    That's not the point I think, corret me if I'm wrong Ukimix, but I think you meant how much panels Oda dedicates for fighting, and how much he dedicates for plot
    I think the plot primes rather than fighting, especially in EL arc. Many good fight were a bit ruined because Oda either introduces comedy or plot and breaks the pace, one example is Kaku vs Zoro, the fight lost its greatness when Usopp was around and because of the jokes, ruined the pace for me completely, it is until Usopp got beaten by Jyabura and Sanji came that it got better

I think Oda should consider dedicating complete chapters to big fights IMO, especially Luffy/Zoro/Sanji, these three deserve that IMO
    What difference do you see? It's a question about the balance: there is an appropiate balance or not? So: how much panels of each type in order to get a good plot (a good shonen plot)? You both are talking about the same thing, imo. Kaiten: it's the appropiate balance. You: It's not, there should be more panels for fight, and then, it would be the appropiate balance. :-)

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zehahaha's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    What difference do you see? It's a question about the balance: there is an appropiate balance or not? So: how much panels of each type in order to get a good plot (a good shonen plot)? You both are talking about the same thing, imo. Kaiten: it's the appropiate balance. You: It's not, there should be more panels for fight, and then, it would be the appropiate balance. :-)
    I'm more talking about the pace honestly rather than the numbers of panel, I'd like to see some chapters purely dedicated to fights, imagine Zoro vs Kaku for 4 chapters without interruption (meaning no Usopp bullshit, no comedy stuff) and with a serious and beastly vibe. I can mind comedy moments in Luffy's fights, or even Sanji, but Zoro nah. Because he's like a beast, and I'd like to see him in beast mode non stop during the whole time

I know it's nearly impossible, but I'd love it if Oda would cut the comedy stuff during fights. Fights are fights, they should be awesome and great, and also SERIOUS. Another example is Mizu Luffy, while it was extremely funny... I found it also a bit inappropriate at that time, and this is why Luffy vs Croco round 3 was my favorite fight, because they was no annoying breaks, Luffy was definitely serious
    Last edited by Zehahaha; February 20, 2013 at 05:44 PM.

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anduren View Post
    As a shounen, I guess the audience (on average) is more interested in action. But I think Oda actually wants to tell a great story to the audience while using the action to hold their attention. In my opinion, one of the reasons that One Piece is popular on a larger range of age groups is because the actual in depth story aspect of it has great value with the action as a bonus.
    Though One Piece runs in a shounen (boys) magazine, a survey conducted by the NHK and Kinokuniya Books revealed that 88% of it's audience actually are over 18. One Piece actually has more readers over 50, than under 18. The truth is that Oda is not writing for a shounen audience, but almost exclusively for adults, with 45% over thirty. On average I would think his audience actually would prefer more plot, or at least a nice balance between the two. To much fighting might be a turn off for many older readers. Bleach, or Dragonball Z, levels of fighting and super powers might completely alienate a large portion of his audience.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...ers-are-adults

14. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zehahaha View Post
    I'm more talking about the pace honestly rather than the numbers of panel, I'd like to see some chapters purely dedicated to fights, imagine Zoro vs Kaku for 4 chapters without interruption (meaning no Usopp bullshit, no comedy stuff) and with a serious and beastly vibe. I can mind comedy moments in Luffy's fights, or even Sanji, but Zoro nah. Because he's like a beast, and I'd like to see him in beast mode non stop during the whole time

I know it's nearly impossible, but I'd love it if Oda would cut the comedy stuff during fights. Fights are fights, they should be awesome and great, and also SERIOUS. Another example is Mizu Luffy, while it was extremely funny... I found it also a bit inappropriate at that time, and this is why Luffy vs Croco round 3 was my favorite fight, because they were no annoying breaks, Luffy was definitely serious
    I see. Well a way in which the balance could be not the appropiate one could be the case in whith the distribution of fighting and plot panels make the pace slow. In fact, that was the concern in k-dom original post. Just that I focused in a more general way to the subject of balance. So, if the themes are differen they are also connected.

Now that you mention, I also would like to have some chapters like you describe. In this arc, the panel about Zoro slicing Monet was expectacular. But I confess I really enjoy much more the detailed visual incial description of the fight between Smoker and Vergo. I think Oda had a lof of care in drawing the continuity of the movements of both contenders. A beautiful visual narrative. I don't have any hurries about finishing OP, so I could enjoy a chapter, say, with out worlds, and only punches... :-)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BurnSchulz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Interestin..
    Some User are ranting about the lack of fighting panels? I hope that werent the same User wich had the opinion that the Luffy vs CC fights was too long...

I for myself really like the pace. When nothing is on theline, the fights ar rather short.
    But everytime SHC fights against someone even or even stronger than themself the fights are much more intenseive.

I like to compare the Enies Lobby Arc with thw Whiskey Peak Arc.

Enies Lobby was so epic, because the enemy seemed rather invincible compared to the SHC. In every fight one of the SHC Members had to overcome himself to accomplish victory agains the CP9 Team. Theese fights were long and everything depended on it. Win or Lose.
    The fights right now are just again like at the beginning of Grand Line. SHC is very strong, they havent faced an Enemy yet wich is even. Or even stronger than them.

But another climax will come for sure. Strong enemies are out there, your time will come. We all know that this are the best fights, when the enemy is extremely strong and everything is on the line. But oda does right to set such situations extremely rare. Now his focus is on the Story development. And i got more and more exited every chapter. He builds up something we couldnt even imagine right now.

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Anduren's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Though One Piece runs in a shounen (boys) magazine, a survey conducted by the NHK and Kinokuniya Books revealed that 88% of it's audience actually are over 18. One Piece actually has more readers over 50, than under 18. The truth is that Oda is not writing for a shounen audience, but almost exclusively for adults, with 45% over thirty. On average I would think his audience actually would prefer more plot, or at least a nice balance between the two. To much fighting might be a turn off for many older readers. Bleach, or Dragonball Z, levels of fighting and super powers might completely alienate a large portion of his audience.
    That's basically what I was trying to say sorry if it came out backwards lol. I don't read/watch One Piece for the action, but for the story and plot. Not that I don't enjoy the action but that's not what makes me impatient till the next chapter comes out.
    Last edited by Anduren; February 20, 2013 at 07:56 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually read One Piece for action, fights, plot, conclusions, its world - and the pervy stuff. And I think it's actually the most-ballanced manga out there nowadays. Currently followed by Fairy Tail only, as Bleach disappoints , so do Naruto (both too much author trollings) and Toriko (the plot just stopped completely).

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast