Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)

View Poll Results: In OP, is there a good balance between panels about figths and panels about plot develpment?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • There is a good balance between the two kind of panels

19 79.17%
  • There should be more panel about fights

2 8.33%
  • There should be more panels about plot development

3 12.50%
  • Other, please explain it

0 0%
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Too few panels for fights in OP?

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Too few panels for fights in OP?

In the comments, the different meanings of the word 'pace', let us see the different ways to read the same story and to make sense of it:

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    Exactly the same Oda who write one piece since 15 years now. Whatever genious he is, when there is fight, the plot can't progress. So even if I agree that they are necessary for the epicness of the story, having one per character is for me to much especially for an intermediary arc. That's quite a dilemna, Oda has chosen to give all his characters some screentime when other mangaka focus only on the main character. That is something I like in One piece so far but with the crew increasing it has also become a drawback
    For k-dom the more fight panels = slower pace

Quote Originally Posted by Zehahaha View Post
    I'm more talking about the pace honestly rather than the numbers of panel, I'd like to see some chapters purely dedicated to fights, imagine Zoro vs Kaku for 4 chapters without interruption (meaning no Usopp bullshit, no comedy stuff) and with a serious and beastly vibe. I can mind comedy moments in Luffy's fights, or even Sanji, but Zoro nah. Because he's like a beast, and I'd like to see him in beast mode non stop during the whole time

I know it's nearly impossible, but I'd love it if Oda would cut the comedy stuff during fights. Fights are fights, they should be awesome and great, and also SERIOUS. Another example is Mizu Luffy, while it was extremely funny... I found it also a bit inappropriate at that time, and this is why Luffy vs Croco round 3 was my favorite fight, because they was no annoying breaks, Luffy was definitely serious
    For Zehahaha, more fight panels without interruptions = great pace

Well maybe I'm exaggerating a bit but the ideas are there.
    Last edited by ukimix; February 20, 2013 at 10:06 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RichardMNixon's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say that if I wanted anything to change about the fighting, that it'd be nice to let fights go to their conclusion. If there's three fights going on, I'd rather have three chapters each dedicated to one of the fights than cut back and forth with a third of the fight in each chapter and the conclusions all in the third.
    The Grain Pirates. Scourge of Spelt, Corsairs of Corn, Rogues of Rye, Buccaneers of Barley, the Freebooters of the Farmland.
    What reason is there to stop a man from sailing?

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Well since I'm quoted, I guess I must had my two cents. I don't think there are to many fights in One Piece so far but I don't want them to have more place. And if every character has his own then I think the balance would be lost. Oda himself must have thought the same since he hasn't done so since Enies lobby (i don't count Fishman island double spreads as panel consuming...)
    Also maybe I'm biased by the fact that I read now One Piece weekly. After all one of the most useless fight that is Groggy ring is one ofmy favorite. But it also proves than team fights can be as enjoyable. Luffy vs Lucci dragged to long to my taste.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zehahaha's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Well since I'm quoted, I guess I must had my two cents. I don't think there are to many fights in One Piece so far but I don't want them to have more place. And if every character has his own then I think the balance would be lost. Oda himself must have thought the same since he hasn't done so since Enies lobby (i don't count Fishman island double spreads as panel consuming...)
    Also maybe I'm biased by the fact that I read now One Piece weekly. After all one of the most useless fight that is Groggy ring is one ofmy favorite. But it also proves than team fights can be as enjoyable. Luffy vs Lucci dragged to long to my taste.
    It wasn't dragged, more like there was many interruptions (not in the fight, but Oda was always switching to another fights or to make the story move forward), while it's good, I think that the main character deserve few chapters completely dedicated to his fight.

For me Luffy/Zoro/Sanji need that kind of things, because their fight are usually awesome and have actually a lot of things to show, especially after their training

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted for more panels for figts. But I agree with k-dom in that one fight per character would be maybe too much. And I also think that, more than the main character, a good fight deserves a precise amount of panels to be drawn. Maybe that's why I enjoyed much more the beginning of Vergo vs Smoker than Zoro vs Monet. With such a visual narrative (Vergo vs Smoker) I would be happy with a full chapter about a fight, even if that means to wait a bit to see what happens next in the main plot.

An arc with Zoro as main character would be really good.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the things I like is that Oda changes the proportion based on what is most appropriate for each arc/island. Water 7 had some action, but was more focused on plot and dialog. Enes Lobby had more action, but he left room for world building. Amazon Lily was dialog heavy, while Impel Down and Marineford focused on action. Same could be said for most of the rest of the manga. The proportion of fighting to plot is flexible, changing as needed.

I do prefer plot oriented chapters, but that more has to do with my taste in manga. The pace is excellent no matter what, no complaints about more action heavy arcs.

Quote Originally Posted by hoeru View Post
    I actually read One Piece for action, fights, plot, conclusions, its world - and the pervy stuff. And I think it's actually the most-ballanced manga out there nowadays. Currently followed by Fairy Tail only, as Bleach disappoints , so do Naruto (both too much author trollings) and Toriko (the plot just stopped completely).
    That's also what I like about One Piece. Everything is nicely balanced, the action is always crisp and well drawn, the plot moves forward nicely. Oda is a good storyteller, with a nice touch to his writing. His writing is a little more novel like than most tournament style action manga.

7. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member stormking1's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I love OP being more dialog than fight scenes because look how far we got in only 700 chapters. Naruto is almost as long as OP and has half the amount of content due to useless flashbacks and too many fight scenes and useless talk no jutsu.
    Lets look at Beach which in a study showing the amount of text in each chapter of Jump Bleach by far had the least by far. If Op was like bleach we would just now be getting to Water 7 and that is if we are lucky.

The amount of dialog and short fight scenes in the manga have saved the OP anime from endless filler. Would you want OP anime to be mostly filler where it goes on filler for a year at a time?

I truly believe OP could not have made it as a manga if it focused on fights scene rather than dialog and plot progression.

If we look at the Marine Ford War which took only 31 chapters from the start of the war to its conclusion. In naruto that war would have taken a solid 50+ chapters and bleach would have been at least 75 chapters.

For fight scenes I would rather watch the anime than read manga panels.
    So my old signature is gone and I need a new one. so If anyone wants to make me one featuring either Air Gear or One Piece hit me up and ill credit you.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Some of us consider the pace of the one piece anime as something awfull so I'm not sure it is a good idea to use it here...

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member stormking1's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Some of us consider the pace of the one piece anime as something awfull so I'm not sure it is a good idea to use it here...
    Oh the pacing is slow due too massively long opening. episode recap and added content. However the anime was never that bad to FI that arc was just painful to watch. I don't think anyone would complain about pretime skip OP anime. Could you imagine what the pacing would be like if OP manga had more fighting panels the anime would end up just like bleach or naruto where its more filler than actually plot.
    So my old signature is gone and I need a new one. so If anyone wants to make me one featuring either Air Gear or One Piece hit me up and ill credit you.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stormking1 View Post
    I don't think anyone would complain about pretime skip OP anime. Could you imagine what the pacing would be like if OP manga had more fighting panels the anime would end up just like bleach or naruto where its more filler than actually plot.
    The complaints are the same as from before the TS, if anything it got a bit better if we exclude the double/triple Opening/flashback/summary/Gol.D. scenes and take them as 15 minute long episodes, not 20min ones. Less "face stare" fillers are always welcome.

I agree with Kaiten about the ratio of fights to plot/comedy, it's nice of Oda that he keeps some fights short, so he can stay creative when the big match ups begin.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the balance is fine. There were plenty of arc with constant action and fighting, like Skypiea survival game, Enies Lobby and Thriller Bark. As for New World, Oda needs to create a setting for the convincing fights to happen. It's what he does. There are plenty of other manga where fights are forced. For example, some guy stops by to say hello to another guy, and one of them gets emotional, so it all ends up with 20 chapters of fighting with those 2 and other people. It's different in OP. So far, there weren't any really demanding fights in New World but Oda is carefully weaving things before chaos erupts. I think we'll have a plenty of fighting soon.

Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!

(thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2