Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: HTC

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Knifeshade's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

HTC

Just officially revealed this morning at their pre-MWC event, HTC's new flagship, the HTC One. Will be launching in March. Looks like a mash between WP8 and Blackberry Z10's design language on first glance. Though it's really just more like a seamless Flipboard baked into the skin I guess.

I'm really liking the industrial design. HTC has always stood out for me as making really fine looking phones. And focus on the camera. Yes, finally somebody besides Nokia who is taking imaging seriously and knows it's not just about the megapixels.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/19/htc-one-unveiled/

Specs:
    • Android 4.1.2 (upgradeable to 4.2.2) + Sense 5.0
    • 4.7" 1080p S-LCD 3 + Gorilla Glass 2 display (468 ppi)
    • Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 1.7GHz quad-core
    • GSM / GPRS / EDGE, WCDMA / UMTS / HSPA+, LTE
    • 32/64GB storage (non-expandable), 2GB RAM
    • 4 MP Ultrapixel BSI f/2.0 camera on back
    • 2.1 MP camera on front
    • 2300 mAH battery
    • 137.4 x 68.2 x 9.3mm (143 g)

Some videos showing the new Sense UI. Overall, it doesn't feel too different from Sense 4.1/4+, though I do like the flatter minimalistic look. The absence of the app switcher might take a bit of getting used to, but I guess relegating it to the Home button doesn't feel all that different from the GS3.

-

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Grand Secretariat 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mobile Phone Hangout Thread

Any thoughts on the HTC One to be released later this month?

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    The Original 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mobile Phone Hangout Thread

The problem with HTC sets is the battery time. With all those features, the battery needs to last longer. HTC One looks good. A friend of mine had HTC One X but he replaced it after few weeks. Again, the battery was horrible. If you take out the battery from the equation, it was a great handset.

By the way, just read SG4 will be revealed next month. Now, I am excited to see what improvements will be there. It was also said in the same article that Samsung has put a heavy dent on iPhone's sale. Apple is literally scared of SG4. It was in the paper so I can't post it here. I am sure, it was taken from some article over the internet. You might find it if you look for it.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: HTC One.

Battery life might end up being the same as the One X. The battery has been bumped up from the X's 1800 mAH, same resolution display, but the increase looks be balanced out by having more pixels to push. But technically, I think it should have good battery life this time around, will need to see a review and know what the SoC is like.

Also, lol:

-

7. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the One X and so I agree with you on that thorn; though I love my phone too much to trade it in for anything else right now. (I'll keep it for the remainder of my contract, then upgrade to hopefully a 5.0+ android phone next year).

With that said, I like the changes and improvement HTC have made to this new "Sense 5". The Zoe feature seems really cool and the Blinkfeed for those that like to quickly browse through many things at once. What really got my attention was the camera news and the new 4mp "Ultrapixel" camera. At first I was baffled how 4mp would be an improvement or anything groundbreaking but reading how it makes it different to the competition and the rest put my mind at ease. Mostly I like that it worked on its night mode features.

LOL at the near identical look of Z10 and HTC One .

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Athrin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised none of you guys have anything to say about the lack of removable storage and battery. I know on other tech forums, that was a deal breaker for a lot of people (especially over at overclock.net) Personally I can't even fill my phone up now (I'm still not sold on using my phone to play music) and while the non-removable battery sounds like its gonna be a pain, I read with phones like those, you can do hard resets with just the power button. I hope so because I'm still using my old HTC inspire and have to take out the battery for a reset a lot more than when I originally got it.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    I'm surprised none of you guys have anything to say about the lack of removable storage and battery.
    But removable storage is a subjective thing in my opinion. I find most of the people who complain about not having expandable memory are the ones who have music folders that are 1029840984 gigs in size and find they have to stuff all of it onto their phones.

I question, do you really need to have everything locally stored nowadays? Could easily push photos and files to Dropbox and/or Google Drive. Music can be streamed. I guess video files are the exception, shooting in 1080p can start adding up.

Removable battery is also subjective. Personally, I don't care whether the battery is sealed or unsealed, I just wish they'd push battery technology more. They keep pushing resolution up but leave battery relatively the same and I'm like "what the hell...".

Quote Quote:
    Battery life might end up being the same as the One X. The battery has been bumped up from the X's 1800 mAH, same resolution display, but the increase looks be balanced out by having more pixels to push. But technically, I think it should have good battery life this time around, will need to see a review and know what the SoC is like.
    Bah, turns out the Snapdragon 600 is basically APQ8064, same SoC in Nexus 4/LG Optimus G/HTC Droid DNA, but clocked faster. Battery life will probably be a bit better than the Droid DNA/Butterfly then.
    -

The Original 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Knife. Its totally upto one's own requirement. FI do not look for expandable memory in any set and I did the same for this one. Even if my metal collection is above 10 gigs, I only copy my favorites to handset (roughly about 2 gigs). Even if its lesser, I will adjust my collection accordingly.

Doesn't faster clocking requires more battery?

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, the HTC One does have a bigger battery (2300 mAH, Droid DNA - 2020 mAH). And the SoC is on the 28nm LP (low-power) process (while others are just 28nm), so standby power draw might be lower, and overall maybe more power efficient.

But this is just me armchair critiquing....so we'll see.

---------- Post added March 12, 2013 at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous post was February 24, 2013 at 10:30 AM ----------

Video of an HTC One retail unboxing. Looks like they've increased the packaging, but everything is still the same as what you get with other HTC handsets...?

Another quick look at Sense 5.0. This time, final shipping hardware. Guess we can look forward to reviews soon.

And for anyone who has an HTC Droid DNA and is good with gadgets: HTC Droid DNA gets an early taste of Sense 5 thanks to beta ROM
    -

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: HTC One

As of last month there's been both a stock version( Google Edition) of the One( 4.2.2) and also a Mini version; following suit with competitor Samsung. For those like with smaller hands or those that are a bit iffy with the size of the handset, they will be particularly pleased with the mini.

The stock android version will be especially welcome by those that prefer google's own untouched version of android without all the manufacturer's own additions. Also to note the Beats Audio will still be integrated within the phone but will not appear on the status bar.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

There's also a rumour going around of the HTC One Max being revealed next month (around same time as Galaxy Note III). Will be kitted out with a 5.9" screen and powered by Snapdragon 800 SoC (joining the Xperia Z Ultra, and LG G2 in the 800 club). Also, not surprising, will have the same industrial design as the One as well as the Ultrapixel camera.

And the partnership with Robert Downey Jr...

-

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knifeshade View Post
    There's also a rumour going around of the HTC One Max being revealed next month (around same time as Galaxy Note III). Will be kitted out with a 5.9" screen and powered by Snapdragon 800 SoC (joining the Xperia Z Ultra, and LG G2 in the 800 club). Also, not surprising, will have the same industrial design as the One as well as the Ultrapixel camera.

And the partnership with Robert Downey Jr...

I heard about this one a while ago from Engadget and there also seems to be a Samsung equivalent( Galaxy Mega 6.3)? Unless I'm confusing....But the Mega has a slightly larger screen( the clue is in the name; 6.3") but all other specs aren't that different.

Personally, I'm not a fan of phonetabs, no matter the design. Either you're a phone or a tablet; otherwise the sizes are just either too big for a phone to be held comfortably or too small to really appreciate the functionality of a tablet. But I guess there is a market for it.

Ah yes, I saw the ad with RDJ, it was quite weird but I guess HTC having him promoting their product can only be a good thing and bound to increase sales. Some of the name variations for HTC was quite hilarious though

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah, One Max will be up against the Galaxy Note III (the Mega 6.3 and 5.8 have dual cores), and the Xperia Z Ultra. Like, you have your flagships, the S4, One, Xperia Z, G2, Nexus 4.....and then you have your phone-tablet-hybrid flagships, with large screens. Yeah, it falls in the latter.

I dunno, man, have you used a 7" tablet before? You kinda start appreciating the larger screen real estate for stuff like web browsing, email, and videos.

In other news, the HTC One X finallly gets updated to 4.2.2 + Sense 5 UI. Lucky folks.

And Beats and HTC part ways, it seems. Not too bummed about that.
    -

21. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahh makes sense, I guess I was confused and forgot about flagship models.

No I've not yet used a 7" tablet, I think for me, it's just the idea of something that size being a phone AND tablet. But I guess I'll have to try it and will possibly reconsider my position on the matter.

That's awesome news, I'll be on the lookout for it and hope it comes to my phone very soon. I've waited a long time for 4.2.2 and beyond excited to try out Sense 5.

Regarding Beats Audio and their partnership with HTC, I can't say I'm really bummed about it either or fussed at all. Yes, it did make a difference to the sound on your phone, but there's so many other customisation methods that can achieve something close to that, that it's not a deep blow to users I think.

---------- Post added September 04, 2013 at 08:54 AM ---------- Previous post was August 22, 2013 at 03:14 PM ----------

I got my 4.2.2 upgrade on my One X!

I'm still getting used to some of the small changes but I'm loving it so far. Particularly using HTC Zoe in my photo gallery and the change in settings display; it's become much easier to navigate and use. I've deactivated Blinkfeed as I prefer my homescreen to be empty but I will try to activate it once, just to see how it looks. So far so good .

New Reply