Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!

View Poll Results: Which Yonko do you think are likeliest to form an alliance?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shanks and Big Mom

0 0%
  • Shanks and Kaido

0 0%
  • Shanks and Blackbeard

0 0%
  • Big Mom and Kaido

2 10.53%
  • Big Mom and Blackbeard

0 0%
  • Kaido and Blackbeard

1 5.26%
  • Shanks, Big Mom and Kaido

0 0%
  • Shanks, Big Mom and Blackbeard

0 0%
  • Shanks, Kaido and Blackbeard

0 0%
  • Big Mom, Kaido and Blackbeard

1 5.26%
  • All four of them

0 0%
  • None of them

14 73.68%
  • Other - multiple of the above

0 0%
  • Other - the members of the Yonko will change

0 0%
  • Other - the Yonko won't form alliances with one another but someone else

1 5.26%
New Reply

Thread: Alliance between Yonko

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner 31TeV's Avatar
    Country
    England
    Post Thanks / Like

Alliance between Yonko

The Supernovas are forming alliances, the Marines are up to something, Kuzan seems to have plans, and Kaido is building an army of zoans. With all these big organisations and people in the New World gathering power, as well as the hints about the chaos which is about to ensue in the near future, it got me thinking about a potential alliance between two or more of the Yonko. I mean, what could possibly be more crazy and dangerous than that? The World Government and Shichibukai struggled enough with just one Yonko and all his forces. Plus, remember how panicked the World Government became when two Yonko tried to meet up?

The purpose of such an alliance could be to fight other Yonko, the World Government or even Supernova alliances if they get that powerful in the future. Or maybe just as a way of sharing territories to get easier access to places in the New World, and maybe even Raftel.

It might also be good for the story from the point of view that, after beating one Yonko, the Straw Hats might need an even stronger group of enemies.

I'm not sure which Yonko might join which, but I think Shanks and Kaido or Shanks and Blackbeard seem the unlikeliest alliances given their past.

Any thoughts on all this?

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Alliance between Yonko

100% won´t happen

Country
    England
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    100% won´t happen
    Why not?

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Because of the circumstances, their past and their personalities. First of all, an alliance between 2 Yonkou would have always been advantageous, not only because some rookies (from the Yonkou point of view) are doing alliances now. Considering what we have seen in Marineford, 2 Yonkou fighting together with all their allies would be able to beat the Marines and thus immensely weaken the WG (i refrain from saying "beat" because we don´t know what kind of forces besides the Marines the WG has). So, why did they not do it and instead went into a stalemate? Because of their personalities. WB would never ally himself with anybody, he is not even interested in territories. Shanks is more interested in partying than anything else, BM keeps her territories for her own gluttony and Kaidou seems to have planed to move against the other Yonkou and the WG for quite some time now (considering that he attacked WB pre-TS). A partnership like Luffy-Law would not be possible because of their egos and of course their aspirations of power. Even a provisory alliance would not be possible without one succumb the other, just think about DD´s offer to Crocodile in the war. The Yonkou would probably react even worse than Croc to such a proposition.

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a chance of this happening, not with the current Yonkou. An alliance between Yonkou would be too great a threat to the balance of power. The Marine would go to war rather than allow that to happen. Remember how badly they panicked after Shanks met with Whitebeard? As MiyamotoMusashi said, the current Yonkou aren't the type to form an alliance. Kaido, Mam, and Blackbeard are all pretty shady characters. None seem the type to cut deals, compromise, or work well with others. Based on what we know right now, at least. Maybe later, when the worst generation has completed their rise to power, things will change. Not yet though, not with the current Yonkou.

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

The last poll option is kind of strange. Part of the basic premise behind the Yonkou is that smaller crews form alliances with them, for protection in the New World. Jinbe, and the Sun Pirates, are allied to Big Mam. Before that they were allies of Whitebeard. Either your an ally of the Yonkou, or an enemy. That's how the New World works.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity matzik1212's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Not happening . They are all too proud to form an alliance IMO and it's not strange if you ask me . An alliance is formed when you what to achieve something but you don't have enough power for that so you just look for someone who shares your goal. Even though they might have the same goal i'm positive none of them would ask for each other's help . After all why do you think Yonkous have so many pirates as subordinates and are recruiting all the time ? They don't wanna depend on someone else's help

Country
    England
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you all that it's unlikely to happen just yet, but as Kaiten said I do think it's a possibility later on, if the power balance has shifted and other Yonko, the World Government and/or Supernova alliances have become really powerful. As you have all pointed out, the Yonko do seem too stubborn to form alliances right now but it could happen if they get desperate. Things would really have to change for the Yonko to need alliances, though. But imagine, for example, if large parts of Big Mom's territory was threatened. She would no doubt be worried about all her sweets, and she might resort to desperate measures.

As for the Yonkos' relationship with one another, you wouldn't have expected Kid and Apoo to become allies either, and they were reluctant to even sit down and talk at first, yet they still went through with it. I know things would probably be worse if two or more Yonko tried to form an alliance but the point is that even people who dislike each other will sometimes form pacts if they benefit from it.

I'm not saying that an alliance between Yonko is likely, just that it's a possibility. Perhaps in the future when things in the New World have really changed, but certainly not just yet.

---------- Post added at 07:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    The last poll option is kind of strange. Part of the basic premise behind the Yonkou is that smaller crews form alliances with them, for protection in the New World. Jinbe, and the Sun Pirates, are allied to Big Mam. Before that they were allies of Whitebeard. Either your an ally of the Yonkou, or an enemy. That's how the New World works.
    The English translations generally use the same word, alliance, to talk about two different kinds of relationships. In Japanese they use two separate words. 傘下 (sanka) describes a pirate crew which is under another in terms of status, such as a pirate crew under a Yonko. 同盟 (domei), on the other hand, is the relationship in the Supernova alliances, where all pirate crews have equal footing and no one is above another in terms of status. When I was talking about alliances, I was thinking of the latter. But yes, I see your point.
    Last edited by 31TeV; February 22, 2013 at 02:54 AM.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You have a point that "people who dislike each other will sometimes form pacts if they benefit from it." Hypothetically, Law and Luffy could put so much pressure on Kaido that, before he is defeated, he seeks aid from Mam, maybe even Blackbeard. That is not out of the question. Under the right conditions a Yonkou alliance would make sense. As things stand now, as of chapter 699, I don't think conditions are right. But radical change could be coming, thanks to Law's alliance with Luffy. Of course, it also is possible that Kaido seeks an alliance, but the other Yonkou are content to let him hang. He is a rival, after all, and seemingly not a very nice guy. They all benefit if he is defeated.

At some point in the series I think that the Yonkou system, and entire balance of power, will begin breaking down. As Luffy moves closer to Raftel, I think the world will increasingly descend into chaos. The "Worst Generation" (Supernova and Blackbeard Pirates) will by then be so powerful that the notion of Yonkou will have become meaningless. They no longer will be able to maintain order over the entire New World. Rather than a four pirate rivalary, there will be six, or eight, depending on how many are left standing. The World Government will also begin losing control, faced with so many powerful opponents. At that point I think two (Luffy and Shanks), maybe even three, Yonkou will form an alliance to defeat the Blackbeard Pirates. Shanks has a grudge against Teach, who gave him the scars over his eye. At that point I think Shanks is effectively "defeated", voluntarily agreeing to become Luffy's "subordinate" (Luffy does what he wants anyway, traditional notions of leader and subordinate don't apply, as Law is now learning).

Part of being a Yonko seems to be that your only equal are the other Yonkou. I don't think a Yonkou could form an alliance of equals with anyone except another Yonkou. That could change later, as the Supernova rise in power, but that seems to be the case with the current Yonkou.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 31TeV View Post
    Why not?
    Because after the WB war, anyone beating them (except maybe another alliance of superpowers) would be a 100% asspull. Not saying every Yonkou must be as strong as WB, but they're supposed to be pretty much balanced.
    Erfworld

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 0Xellos View Post
    Because after the WB war, anyone beating them (except maybe another alliance of superpowers) would be a 100% asspull. Not saying every Yonkou must be as strong as WB, but they're supposed to be pretty much balanced.
    If the current status quo in the New World is maintained, I pretty much agree with you. But what if circumstances change? We can pretty much take it for granted this arc ends with Law and Luffy (not necessarily superpowers, but rising powers) defeating Kaido. Afterwords, Kaido will no longer be counted as one of the Yonkou. The result should be a breakdown in the balance of power. The current "three power" system might never recover. That might be the deeper implication to what Law said here and here. The old generation has only maintained the peace, but the heavyweights of the new generation are here, and they are going to "smash your gears". He could be saying that his goal is to break the old balance of power, and build something new in it's place.

New Reply