Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Purpose of urahara's shop?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member NoOneInParticular's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Purpose of urahara's shop?

I guess SS just found him useful. The G13 is shady in it's own ways, and if they can employ psychopaths like Mayuri and lunatics like Kenpachi, it's not too hard to imagine they would be willing to tolerate Urahara in exchange for his services, probably with the understanding that if he ever dabbled in any unsavoury activities his life was forfeit. As for what those services are, that is a good question. The Quincy were before his time, and before Arrancar and Fullbringers started running around the place, there can't have been much for him to even do on Earth besides providing soul candy and the like. But that seems pretty mundane - the kind of stuff SS could easily handle themselves. Maybe he assisted in taking care of Ginjo when he was Substitute Shinigami. Also, Karakura is a spiritually rich area, so one can imagine a number of spiritually aware people and other unusual phenomena occur there. It's possible they found Urahara handy in analysing and handling these kinds of things, though again you'd think they'd rather just have a member of the 12th Division stationed there instead to keep it all within the organisation.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuteiken View Post
    I won't say it's a retcon. Urahara was banished from entering SS. There is no way to suggest he was being hunted down to be killed at that moment. Besides, as I already said, Rukia would probably know who Urahara was, since Ikkaku also did know about him for a bit, and they didn't track him down in the real world.

Well, there is generally no need for a seated officer of high rank to be stationed in the real world to deal with weak Hollows, so, Rukia was more than enough for almost everything, had she not lost her powers the day he met Ichigo.
    I doubt he was being hunted otherwise he'd have been found long ago. What would prevent him from getting away for so long? I'm guessing they weren't as hellbent on killing him.

We have seen some strong hollows though, no?

Quote Originally Posted by NoOneInParticular View Post
    I guess SS just found him useful. The G13 is shady in it's own ways, and if they can employ psychopaths like Mayuri and lunatics like Kenpachi, it's not too hard to imagine they would be willing to tolerate Urahara in exchange for his services, probably with the understanding that if he ever dabbled in any unsavoury activities his life was forfeit. As for what those services are, that is a good question. The Quincy were before his time, and before Arrancar and Fullbringers started running around the place, there can't have been much for him to even do on Earth besides providing soul candy and the like. But that seems pretty mundane - the kind of stuff SS could easily handle themselves. Maybe he assisted in taking care of Ginjo when he was Substitute Shinigami. Also, Karakura is a spiritually rich area, so one can imagine a number of spiritually aware people and other unusual phenomena occur there. It's possible they found Urahara handy in analysing and handling these kinds of things, though again you'd think they'd rather just have a member of the 12th Division stationed there instead to keep it all within the organisation.
    I don't think they'd have a 12th Division member stationed there when Urahara is still willing to cooperate. Who else apart from Mayuri is as smart as Urahara? He'd likely have done more good than anyone else stationed there.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Hakuteiken's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    I doubt he was being hunted otherwise he'd have been found long ago. What would prevent him from getting away for so long? I'm guessing they weren't as hellbent on killing him.

We have seen some strong hollows though, no?
    As mentioned before in the thread, Urahara developed reiatsu-hiding Gigai that could help him preserve his secrecy. That said, for Rukia not to freak out about a Shinigami stuff store in the real world, this must be something pretty ordinary for those who are stationed.

Only a few, though. Most of the work in the real world is pretty regular.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

I know, but wasn't Rukia found by Aizen despite that? Rukia could be in the know about Urahara too. though I'm sure Urahara and SS aren't on bad terms.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Hakuteiken's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, being on bad terms and hunting one to kill him are different things, anyway. They were probably on bad terms since the accusations were still holding true, but nothing that requires anymore than the banishment, I guess.

Banned 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Palau
    Post Thanks / Like

Purpose of urahara's shop?
    -Support for the Shinigami/s that are currently dutied and living to Karakura Town

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, there are two issues with that idea as I have pointed out before:

1.- There are only one or two appointed shinigami at any given time.
    2.- Why would shinigami have the need to smuggle things from the other world to do their job? Rukia needed all that stuff because she was stranded in the real world. There is no reason for her to need any of the stuff urahara offered her under normal circumstances. Even then, if the stuff is required for shinigami to do their job it would be easier and legal to get it in soul society.

I maintain that either the store is but a sham to keep an eye on ichigo or urahara's clientele is larger than what it would appear right now (2 shinigami at any given time and the vizards maybe) and there is an entire society of spiritually aware beings who exist in the real world.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Shader's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Isnt it obvious? The whole shinigami "shop" thing is a lie. This "shop" is Urahara's scientific laboratory, where he conduct his experements and researchs. Yes, he got his "materials" from SS due to Yoruichi or Shiba clan, and i gues "human" shop works like a shop allright (they need to eat something), but this "customers" of his are fake. He testing his devices on Ichigo and co, and on otherones who need this kind of "help". Urahara is a shady guy, he is not a knigh on white horse, he is playing his own game since the chapter 1.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I've always thought his shop was a front for training and research purposes. The two children are probably there mainly to guard the shop against intruders. When he left SS he was forced to leave everything behind, yet he's constantly coming up with new material (like the gigai or whatever he used to make Zangetsu appear during Ichigo's bankai training). He probably turned it into an unpopular candy shop on purpose, so as not to arouse suspicion.

One part which clearly shows that he doesn't keep the shop to assist shinigamis is when Matsumoto, Renji, Ikkaku, Toshiro etc. go to the real world after Ichigo and co. get attacked by Yami and Ulquiorra. When they all split up to find places to stay, Renji just sits outside Urahara's shop while they're pretending that it's closed and wait for him to leave.
    Last edited by Azuma; March 08, 2013 at 08:23 AM.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ca12nag3's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont believe Urahara to be a bad guy, just that he has priorities and among those is to take out Aizen. I suspect that nobody is SS really wanted his head and that they would not bother him if he stays out of their way. Also remember him trying to put his hand through the gate in the SS arc. He couldnt get past. Sugesting that when he left they banished him.

As for the shop itself well they might allow him to run a shop to support shinigamis. Its not like they would create a mess. Also its easier to keep tabs on such a dangerous fellow if you keep him in the picture.

Btw what i am really currious about is Ururu and Jinta, i wonder if they are the created children of both Urahara and Tessai... Anyone got an idea? I mean the gloomy look on her and the haircut does point towards Urahara and Ginta well he has no other alternative haha.

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2