Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 506 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: thought of HXH while watching sports

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

thought of HXH while watching sports

I was watching basketball and this scenario pops out a lot. Team A is ahead by 2 points and team B has the ball with 20 or less seconds left (so team A will likely get the last possession no matter what). There's always this analyst that says what team A needs to do is not give up a 3 or foul anyone, and if team A really does this it means team B dunks the ball in about 5 seconds because you're not going to have a shot at stopping someone driving to the painte if you're always watching the 3 and avoid fouling. Then, with the score tied, the analyst will say team A needs to take their time so that the worst case they have is going to overtime. If team A does this, they'll dribble the ball until the clock is out and then throw up a crazy shot even by manga standards at the buzzer that is almost certainly not going to go in.

And what does this has to do with HXH? Well team A is actually coached by Leorio, as this is his 'always pick the least worst' strategy, and we know how well that went in the Hunter Exam. I don't think I have ever seen this strategy ever work (play to not lose) because the other team will just dunk on you once they realized you're that wimpy, but every other expert on TV suggests this strategy in such a situation. Tonpa should consider a career as a sports consultant. He's certainly more capable than most of the guys I see on TV.

Actually, a team coached by Leorio would make an awesome sports manga. Whereas sports manga normally tries to come up with the most reckless strategy possible like 'suicide blitz on every down' or 'don't use anyone on defense', Leorio would be the exact opposite. He'd be the coach that just has players dribble the clock out if they're up by 20 points at the start of the 4th quarter and wonder why the opposing team somehow managed to catch up 20 points (and this happens on real life occasionally too), and that'd be far more interesting for me as a sports fan than hearing about how having 5 centers on a basketball team is a totally awesome plan, because at least I can understand why Leorio's plan wouldn't work!

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: thought of HXH while watching sports

Well ,'playing not to lose' works for the Lady in discworld books^^

actually, i think it is a strategy which often works.
    Angela merkel for example does this all the time, while other politicians try to attack her and say reckless things, she usually just calmy shrugs that off and waits until people do a mistake to get her chance.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sachsenhesse's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    Angela merkel for example does this all the time, while other politicians try to attack her and say reckless things, she usually just calmy shrugs that off and waits until people do a mistake to get her chance.
    Germany. o.o/

"Wir müssen eine gemeinsame Lösung finden." -> "We need to find a common solution." = I´m not searching, but if they find a solution, i said it.

or

"Ich spreche **** mein vollstes Vertrauen aus." -> "I trust **** entirely." = 2 days later, that minister who had her trust is no more. Happened the third time.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a difference with playing safe and playing to not lose. Leorio's gambling strategy is definitely far more cowardly than just having a defensive strategy, though the funny thing is that some people do that in real life too!

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sachsenhesse View Post
    Germany. o.o/

"Wir müssen eine gemeinsame Lösung finden." -> "We need to find a common solution." = I´m not searching, but if they find a solution, i said it.

or

"Ich spreche **** mein vollstes Vertrauen aus." -> "I trust **** entirely." = 2 days later, that minister who had her trust is no more. Happened the third time.

But hey, going to win the next election

@all

I think playing not to lose is a good thing if you are not in a real competition, but in a bigger scale game.
    For example, a country striving not to get invaded without any ambition to invade themselves might end up on top because it keeps being strong while others get more and more exhausted.

IN 1n1 spots of course the sports are usually designed so that this does not happen since it would get boring.

In martial arts tho, many teachers teach the way of martial ats is aiming to not get beaten up , not to beat up

New Reply