Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Dealsealers

MangaHelper 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member jakensama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Dealsealers

Well this is the opposite of deal breakers. What are aspects/subject matter of anime/manga you love so much that makes it must watch? Besides strong plot and unique/strong art style...

1. Horror-Good horror is so hard to find in any form, and I love the thrill of fear.
    2. Mythology-My interest in this far predates my interest in anime/manga. Japanese and Chinese mythology have their own deep rich stories.
    3. Period pieces-I have a great fascination with the past, and how people lived their lives in earlier times. The farther away from the present, the greater my interest.
    4. Naoki Urasawa for manga, Hayao Miyasaki for anime-I feel the need to check out everything by these two, since it is always genius.
    5. Fox/cat/wolfgirls-My shameful guilty pleasure. Don't be shy to list your own!
    Last edited by jakensama; March 04, 2013 at 04:03 PM. Reason: expansion

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dealsealers

Dystopia: I love this setting for anything: manga, anime, Western animation, novels, live-action, etc. If I were to pin a reason why I like dystopian settings, it's probably seeing how the characters survive in a destructive world.

Fantasy: I don't care what kind of fantasy sub-genre it is, I love them all! There's more freedom in terms of what's possible in terms of physics or world building, but at the same time there has to be certain limitations; a good writer will strike a balance between suspending our disbelief and things not making sense at all.

Strong women: Note I put women instead of woman.

Mythological/literary references: Seeing connections will help me understand the series better.

3. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Smiling Moe Hunter 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Band of the Hawks 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Mecha : A genre that I'm growing up with, no matter how crappy some Gundam franchises are, I'm always ended up watching it to the last episode. I just love giant robots.

Cyberpunk : It's cool and stuff like Battle Angel Alita, Akira or Ghost in the Shell is always an interesting thing to read/watch.

Mystery and Mind Games : Manga like One Outs, or Liar Game for mind games and Naoki's works for mysteries. It's difficult to put 'em down once you read it. Even though the amount of text can be nauseating.

Historical : I'm a history nerd, so I'd love to read any manga with history as its setting.

Shogi : I love this board game.

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Hakuteiken's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

Long haired cool guys: One character with a rather stoic expression is a must. The more the merrier.

Characters with deep intellect: Could intersect with the group above and it'd be even better. If not, a guy with coveted observation and analytical skills is also a must.

Philosophy: Not necessarily through well-known references, but it could also be embedded deeply into the series. It's not about relaying a message. It just has to have it, not pass it over.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Mythology
    Intellect
    Comedy
    Deep and/or philosophical
    Hot girls
    Suspense
    Action
    Ecchi

at least, it was so in the past. Now, I rarely read manga apart from the Big 3 and few additionals as manga doesn't interest me anymore. Naruto is mainly out of loyalty, OP and Bleach because I enjoy it.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

great romance-comedy

overflowing nerdiness (CHU-2 or haganai)

epic shounen-action/drama (DBZ, one piece, naruto, bleach)

great animation and character design, i hate to sound shallow but it is very hard for me to get drawn into an anime that is not animated and drawn well i make few exceptions for some of the older anime that are epic

New Reply