Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 132

Thread: Collective reading of an Old (complete) good comic

  1. #16
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Mr. Arashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    Chile
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    828
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Collective reading of an Old (complete) good comic

    I choose Akumetsu! I've already read to chapter 45 but i dropped it because in that time i didn't knew so much about english language. Also learning about economy and politics is welcomed, i had a good impressions reading Sanctuary for example.

  2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  3. #17
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Country
    Colombia
    Posts
    3,059
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Collective reading of an Old (complete) good comic

    Ok, I will add the votes. Good to have you here.

  4. #18
    Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member raDar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In a trance
    Country
    Sunspear
    Age
    21
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    663
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Collective reading of an Old (complete) good comic

    I'll go with Nausicaa. I've read it before, but didn't manage to finish (I think I've only got up to half of the whole collection of volumes). So maybe by this I can finally finish it.

  5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  6. #19
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Country
    Colombia
    Posts
    3,059
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Collective reading of an Old (complete) good comic

    Ok; welcome raDar!!

  7. #20
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Posts
    2,404
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Collective reading of an Old (complete) good comic

    Nausicaä, Shin Angyo Onshi, Pluto, Planetes and Hoshi no Samidare would be rather short reads if that is important for some concerning the voting.

  8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  9. #21
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Country
    France
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,245
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Collective reading of an Old (complete) good comic

    I have creaated a google spreadsheet, maybe it will be clearer to see what everyone wants to read (and for ukimix). The idea is that you fill your column in the sheet 'To fill' using the letters from the sheet 'legend'. I have added some weight to give us an idea of which serie would be good to start with (Of course it's just an indicator that one can discuss). If you have other titles in mind you can also add them. I myself added Parasyte and Holyland and Gash Bell

  10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  11. #22
    Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member raDar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In a trance
    Country
    Sunspear
    Age
    21
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    663
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Collective reading of an Old (complete) good comic

    Maybe we could add some Adachi manga like Touch (actually I added it already). Well, I haven't read any of his works other than his collection of short stories. Still has to make a background check with the other unfamiliar series I left ?'d, just so I would know if it will get me interested or not.

  12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  13. #23
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Posts
    2,404
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Collective reading of an Old (complete) good comic

    Quote Originally Posted by raDar View Post
    Maybe we could add some Adachi manga like Touch (actually I added it already). Well, I haven't read any of his works other than his collection of short stories. Still has to make a background check with the other unfamiliar series I left ?'d, just so I would know if it will get me interested or not.
    I have read some of Adachi´s works. From the mangas i have read, the protagonists were almost the same, only the circumstances change.

  14. #24
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Country
    Colombia
    Posts
    3,059
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Collective reading of an Old (complete) good comic

    Thanks raDar; then I'll add Touch.

    I was reading about this guy and it made a first good impression: Tatsumi Yoshihiro. I won't add any of his available series to the list because I don't know nothing about him, and the project is about the classics. But If some one knows about him, I would appreciate a comment. I couldn't find any review here in MH or in baka, but it seems to be an interesting author.

    ---------- Post added at 07:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    I have creaated a google spreadsheet, maybe it will be clearer to see what everyone wants to read (and for ukimix). The idea is that you fill your column in the sheet 'To fill' using the letters from the sheet 'legend'. I have added some weight to give us an idea of which serie would be good to start with (Of course it's just an indicator that one can discuss). If you have other titles in mind you can also add them. I myself added Parasyte and Holyland and Gash Bell

    Wow, thanks a lot man. That would be a big help. Yes we can use the sheet as a helping criteria to take a decision. Big thanks man!!! I will add your proposals to the first post also.

  15. #25
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Posts
    822
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Collective reading of an Old (complete) good comic

    Cool thread. Great idea. Too bad I don't have the self discipline to read one chunk at a time then stop. Once I get going, I have to read something all in one go. Interestingly enough, before I even saw this thread yesterday, I had picked up Planetes from my library for a reread. And I have been planning on doing an Eden:It's An Endless World! reread for a while too. Like I said though, I can't hold back once I start reading. Maybe I'll still be able to discuss anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    Thanks raDar; then I'll add Touch.

    I was reading about this guy and it made a first good impression: Tatsumi Yoshihiro. I won't add any of his available series to the list because I don't know nothing about him, and the project is about the classics. But If some one knows about him, I would appreciate a comment. I couldn't find any review here in MH or in baka, but it seems to be an interesting author.
    I've read two of Tatsumi's short story collections. 'Abandon the Old in Tokyo', and 'The Pushman and Other Stories'(reviewed Abandon the Old in Tokyo on my blog). To be honest, they are interesting and different, but all of his shorts pretty much offer the same experience and they aren't necessarily entertaining. Granted, I've never read any of Tatsumi's longer form stories, but to be honest, I don't really care to after sampling his style.

    I believe all 3 of his short story collections are scanlated and also available for purchase in English, but I don't think you would get much discussion out of this for this thread.

    Tatsumi is known as the godfather of the Gekiga movement, and I respect that, but like other old school mangaka like Tezuka, I think that he is probably more than a bit overrated. I think a lot of these guys are "grandfathered in" and automatically accepted as good just because they are manga pioneers regardless of whether or not their work stands the test of time. That's just how I feel though.

  16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  17. #26
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Posts
    2,404
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Collective reading of an Old (complete) good comic

    Quote Originally Posted by MattC302 View Post
    Cool thread. Great idea. Too bad I don't have the self discipline to read one chunk at a time then stop. Once I get going, I have to read something all in one go. Interestingly enough, before I even saw this thread yesterday, I had picked up Planetes from my library for a reread. And I have been planning on doing an Eden:It's An Endless World! reread for a while too. Like I said though, I can't hold back once I start reading. Maybe I'll still be able to discuss anyway.

    .
    Well, you obviously don´t have to stop reading, only wait with discussing future parts until the week it is supposed to be discussed arrives, though i guess that could be hard, too.

  18. #27
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Posts
    822
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Collective reading of an Old (complete) good comic

    Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Well, you obviously don´t have to stop reading, only wait with discussing future parts until the week it is supposed to be discussed arrives, though i guess that could be hard, too.
    Yeah, but it'd be more fun if we could all read at the same pace and discuss together. Plus I'd have the future events in my head while trying to remember back to the current discussion's events. I have a bad memory and I've read lots of manga so events get all jumbled up in my brain
    Last edited by MattC302; March 09, 2013 at 07:35 AM.

  19. #28
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Country
    Colombia
    Posts
    3,059
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Collective reading of an Old (complete) good comic

    Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    I myself added Parasyte and Holyland and Gash Bell
    I can't see those addition in the sheet. Is that ok? I mean, the sheet will be visible everyones preference's or just those of the user who introduced the changes?

    Before to ruin the sheet you created, is this the use you have in mind?:

    Last edited by ukimix; March 09, 2013 at 07:41 AM.

  20. #29
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Country
    France
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,245
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Collective reading of an Old (complete) good comic

    I think one of his most famous work is A Drifting Life. There was an anime adaptation a few years ago. He is a big name but probably a bit too serious for here.

    ---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    I can't see those addition in the sheet. Is that ok? I mean, the sheet will be visible everyones preference's or just those of the user who introduced the changes?

    Before to ruin the sheet you created, is this the use you have in mind?:

    No in fact if you look at the bottom of the page, there is several spreadsheet like on an excel file. The one that you have to fill is the 'To fill' one.

  21. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  22. #30
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Posts
    2,404
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Collective reading of an Old (complete) good comic

    Quote Originally Posted by MattC302 View Post
    Yeah, but it'd be more fun if we could all read at the same pace and discuss together. Plus I'd have the future events in my head while trying to remember back to the current discussion's events. I have a bad memory and I've read lots of manga so events get all jumbled up in my brain
    To tell you the truth, i also don´t plan to follow the proposed plan. I have a bit of time in the couple of weeks, so once i start to read, i probably will continue until i feel satiated.

New Reply
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts