Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 761 by cnet128 , Bleach 597 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How FT falls short and how it gets it right.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member -Ken-'s Avatar
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How FT falls short and how it gets it right.

I think Rave's story and fight are better than Fairy Tail. Characters wise, though, I don't really think anyone is Rave is remotely "cool" beside Siegheart.

I'm actually fine with how some of the information is only include via volume. It's extra content that people are happy to pay for. It gives more to people who actually care enough about the series. I really hate how some people only read the scanlation and don't support the authors and still complain.
    Most of the thing I post is probably assumption if it's not a fact that I support using some evidence from the manga.

If you knows you're on my ignore list and you quote my post, there's high chance I would ignore you. Or answer you and not look at your response.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Vengeance's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Why Fairy Tail falls short.

1. Hiro Mashima doesn't care about the series & is only drawing it since it makes him money.

2. Underwhelming villains/over hyping characters who end up falling flat on their faces. Jura, Minerva, Kagura, Bacchus, Rogue Sting, Orga, All of Raven Tail were all pretty much let downs.

3. Lack of character progression. The last time Natsu got any sort of character development is when he fell to his knees against Gildertz. However it was short lived since he regressed back to his usual self.

4. No sense of danger/struggle what so ever.

5. Shallow/One dimensional cast.

6. Doesn't deliver on fights which is a huge problem considering it's a shallow battle manga with little substance. You'd think the fights would at the very least be half way decent but that hasn't been the case for awhile now.

How fairy tail get's it right.

1. Character's look cool.

2. Tits and ass.

4. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
    Why Fairy Tail falls short.

1. Hiro Mashima doesn't care about the series & is only drawing it since it makes him money.
    This is it. Very accurate.
    It seems there are people on here who don't realize Fairy Tail doesn't run in Jump. It runs in a magazine that PALES in comparison to Jump.
    its competition in that magazine to avoid compilation are tons of non-mainstream not-popular-enough-to-leave-Japan stuff.

Its best competition WAS Cage of Eden, but now its a Cycling Sports Manga called Over Drive. CYCLING lol.

Hiro Mashima proved himself in being a good mangaka with Rave Master. And he is just having fun with FT. Which I appreciate.
    If you were looking for a contender to Naruto and One Piece with this manga, then you're either somebody who picked up this series in only the last two years, or you just got it wrong.
    Mashima has ZERO fear of cancellation thanks to running in such a weak magazine. He's just taking it easy with this.
    taking advantage of his originality. Which I would definitely do in his shoes.

Examples of this are Detective Conan. There is no guarantee Detective Conan would still be running if it was in Weekly Jump as much as I love it.
    But thanks to running in weak Shonen Sunday it can never get cancelled by competition. Same with FT.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

So you're basically saying that every mangaka with a large success, keeps his series running for the money.

Oh My! How scandalous.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoeru View Post
    So you're basically saying that every mangaka with a large success, keeps his series running for the money.

Oh My! How scandalous.
    It doesn't say that in my post at all. Did you even read it? Or are you trying to be funny...

I'll summarize. Mashima proved himself with RaveMaster. Came back with Fairy Tail. He faces little competition in the magazine he runs in.
    So he likely lacks in motivation in chapters at times.
    Whereas in Weekly JUMP, if you slack off in chapters you could end up cancelled.

So I believe Mashima is very laid-back with this manga. I would definitely do the same.
    The idea of making a mainstream story out of Magicians is pretty original. Like how One Piece made a mainstream story out of Pirates.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    Whereas in Weekly JUMP, if you slack off in chapters you could end up cancelled.
    Nope. Not if a manga has a certain success, and arrived in the mainstream with really huge sells. Bleach was never endangered of becoming cancelled because it was for tens of weeks in the bottom 5 - whenever needed, the editorial made Kubo do a colored cover so the chapter was set anyways. Jump has it's milking cows, too.

And of course, Mashima has a safe place in Shounen Magazine... His manga sells successfully as Tankoubon.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Nope. Not if a manga has a certain success, and arrived in the mainstream with really huge sells. Bleach was never endangered of becoming cancelled because it was for tens of weeks in the bottom 5 - whenever needed, the editorial made Kubo do a colored cover so the chapter was set anyways. Jump has it's milking cows, too.

And of course, Mashima has a safe place in Shounen Magazine... His manga sells successfully as Tankoubon.
    Indeed Bleach is probably different for the reason it was top 5 for several years.
    If we look at things like Samurai Usagi, I mean had Fairy Tail been in Weekly Jump, I reckon Mashima would have ended certain arcs better.
    Or rather more recent certain arcs.

This manga is amazing don't get me wrong, long time fan here, but there are various instances that seem too laid back.
    The part where the dragon slayer kid dropped to his knees was a bit...
    The way Erza took a mighty beating, put on a new armour as usual and won was a bit...

It was good, but it didn't match how amazing the build-up was going into, and during this whole enbu thing.

And I think when you stay in the lower 5, you get promo'd a lot less than the top10.
    I mean, KHR is only big in Japan. No eng dub, I don't think there is even a manga volume set in English etc.
    Same with Medaka Box. Stuff that lurked around the bottom 10 for most of its time.

Had KHR been in FT's magazine? Instant flagship lol.

Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

No one can assume for real what Fairy Tail would have become if it was running in Shounen Jump instead of Shounen Magazine be it being cancelled after one's personal "worst arc ever!!!!!!11!" or ratings would have sky rocked and even surpassed the Top 3. There's no point in claiming Fairy Tail would have failed in Jump the way it is now in Magazine. And of course, a series is still kept in Jump even beyond the critical limit, if the tankoubon sells good: Oumagadoki Doubutsuen is one example for this - it actually had much more chapters in Jump than its ratings would've justified. I was glad, Jump kept it, but the ratings were simply bad. (I still would like to read the end btw.)

And yes, Jump sells very good. Much better than Shounen Magazine in Q1/2013. But the rating system is by no means a sign for better quality of manga compared to other magazines but at maximum for their popularity within the magazine - or how big the fanbase is (excluding Kochikame). Shounen Sunday has a similar or same rating system, and sells less than half of the amount than Shounen Magazine. And Jump currently mainly cashes in on One Piece and Naruto, while Jump turned down Shingeki no Kyojin and let its success slip through their fingers.

So far Fairy Tail is one of the only non-Shueisha manga having stable sells for years since 2010 it's in the top 5 with more than 3.7 millions tankoubon per year, at least since 2012 (as I'm too lazy to check 2010-11) around 300,000 to 400,000 copies within the first three to four weeks after being published. Over the whole year, it beats several Shueisha manga serieses in sales.

Conclusion: What Mashima does, isn't wrong at all - and he really doesn't need to care about some ranters that either haven't been happy with Fairy Tail for years or who are frustrated and jealous over their favorite mangas not being as successful.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member darkprince0521's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

it is sad indeed if i have to praise Fairy Tail only because i don't have any right to complain (because i am reading on internet).

anyway, in-spite of that unavoidable problem, i will state my opinion. story wise, Fairy Tail is good at building the story of an arc. then the fights come, where every time we see the same thing. FT getting beaten up; but at the very end, there is some power up because of feelings (except Natsu); while Natsu gets some outside power along with power of feelings, like eating Etherion, getting power from Laxus, fire from Jellal etc. it feels very repeatative. if all the fights end in a similar manner for all arcs in a shonen manga; that itself is a problem.
    Naruto Forever

14. Like 5 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Fairy Tail Re: How FT falls short and how it gets it right.

Conclusion: What Mashima does, isn't wrong at all - and he really doesn't need to care about some ranters that either haven't been happy with Fairy Tail for years or who are frustrated and jealous over their favorite mangas not being as successful.
    The way Mashima ends arcs have been sort of the same for a while. I even insisted in my post that I still love the series.
    If you're going to just dismiss opinions because you disagree then what is the point of this?
    Its a discussion thread. I'm obviously not the only person who has noted down where they feel FT falls short.

No one can assume for real what Fairy Tail would have become if it was running in Shounen Jump instead of Shounen Magazine be it being cancelled after one's personal "worst arc ever!!!!!!11!" or ratings would have sky rocked and even surpassed the Top 3. There's no point in claiming Fairy Tail would have failed in Jump the way it is now in Magazine.
    Never said whether it would fail or not.
    I am saying Mashima would most likely take a different approach if he was directly up against Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Toriko, Reborn etc.
    In fact its almost certain he would take a different approach in a magazine where his manga wasn't unquestionably the most popular.
    That's all that's been said.

I feel Mashima is quite laid-back with Fairy Tail. I think its due to not being directly up against other top manga is the reason he is quite laid-back.

And yes, Jump sells very good. Much better than Shounen Magazine in Q1/2013. But the rating system is by no means a sign for better quality of manga compared to other magazines but at maximum for their popularity within the magazine - or how big the fanbase is (excluding Kochikame). Shounen Sunday has a similar or same rating system, and sells less than half of the amount than Shounen Magazine. And Jump currently mainly cashes in on One Piece and Naruto, while Jump turned down Shingeki no Kyojin and let its success slip through their fingers.
    I'm not talking about FT's popularity in comparison to anything so this isn't relevant.
    I will repeat, if Mashima was in a different mag, with better direct competition, he would probably approach the way he ends arcs differently.
    Jump itself cashes in on so many mangas its crazy. Not just Naruto and One Piece.
    Regardless of Shingeki's success, JUMP are unlikely to truly feel the sting of letting it go.

If you are going to continue to say things like "What Mashima does, isn't wrong at all", it gives the impression you think FT is perfect and there is no flaws.
    If you think ANY manga has ZERO flaws then is there any point in getting involved in discussions?

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    If you think ANY manga has ZERO flaws then is there any point in getting involved in discussions?
    Shall I now start to fire back, by saying "If you aren't able to bear some one talking back [...]"? Please read the introduction. So far I've not seen any critics without exaggeration, so of course, I try to state my opposing point of view. Starting off with "Mashima only does it for the money." is simply bashing the author. You want others to be quiet upon this?

And of course, I know manga do have their flaws. But I usually simply keep my mouth shut before I spit into forums - out of respect to its fans so they may be at least a BIT happy about their fandom. There's enough shit going on in the world, no one needs that self-expression through bashing in FANforums. And as of late, the FT forums are flooded with mostly neither justified nor stupid "that other manga I read is much better because of [---HUGE SPOILER ALERT BUT I DON'T CARE!!!---]" troll comments. Ask our mods how much they had to edit or delete.

Look into my posts. You won't find me crying over repetetive arcs, characters getting too much or too less screentime or battles conclude not the way I wanted - at least not all the time. Not that I wouldn't care about this, but I just find it pretty much useless to throw in only for weeks, months or even years over a story I could stop reading any time - and I do that even if I still love the story. I put Fairy Tail through Edolas on my "personal hiatus" and came back reading it, after the arc was finished and I was able to read it at once and over and over. But I also think it's just wrong to leave such comments without contradiction.

You know I would even join a critic talk if people would even start noticing the target audience (young females and males from 10/12y) and the possibility that they probably aren't part of the target audience and that their opinion does not weight more only because they aren't satisfied with either the current chapter, arc or the whole manga - or because they read Seinen (which isn't any hint on more mature manga) - or that the ones "defending their manga in delusions" know their turfs much better then some critics.

Oh, and BTW: Of course, Natsu gets his most power-ups from other characters. His magic heavily relies on getting power through consuming magical energy. This is like saying: Ichigo sucks because he uses Bankai because he has a Zanpakuto. Or Luffy sucks because he uses the Gomu Gomu ability, because he ate the Gomu Gomu fruit.
    Last edited by hoeru; March 11, 2013 at 07:59 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member darkprince0521's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

how ridiculous.......

who said Natsu eating power is a problem? the problem is Natsu doing it every time. and comparing to Ichigo's Bankai or Luffy's Fruit? if someone can really think that Natsu's eating other's power is similar; i should applaud that someone's creativity.

beforehand, we had Natsu eating fire, now we have Natsu eating everything. not only that, Gazeel also joined Natsu on eating power.
    Naruto Forever

Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darkprince0521 View Post
    how ridiculous.......

who said Natsu eating power is a problem? the problem is Natsu doing it every time. and comparing to Ichigo's Bankai or Luffy's Fruit? if someone can really think that Natsu's eating other's power is similar; i should applaud that someone's creativity.

beforehand, we had Natsu eating fire, now we have Natsu eating everything. not only that, Gazeel also joined Natsu on eating power.
    So. Until now you've failed to understand that Fire is nothing but meals to Natsu with different taste - which basically was explained up until the Phantom Lord arc. There's even normal fire that "stinks" too him so Natsu won't eat it. It was also explained that Natsu only felt sick when tasting Luxus' lightning for the first time - which is basically his first reaction on eating Etherion, too. So eating other elements is apparently much like us in the real world eating spicy food or drink alcohol for the first time. The more we do, the more we get used to, right? (Even though there are people who can't

And then you're saying that the hero's rival with basically the same power and fighting style (1st generation Dragon Slayer). Are you sort of sticking too much with Naruto's order of elements? Where one only may have one or two elements?

And before you ask: Yes, I expect Wendy to eat other elements, too, as it was explained in the Daimatou Enbu that if she consumes too much air, it would be much harder to breathe. Which is a flaw in her DS magic, she needs to overcome at some point.

And again: Yes, it's more than probable that Natsu may eat "The one Magic" in order to beat Zeref/Acknologia in the final deceisive battle - much like what GOD means to Toriko and Starjyuun.

So? I know this keeps being "ridiculous" to you. But there is reason for Mashima to be "repetitive".

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member KingOfNight's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

So. Until now you've failed to understand that Fire is nothing but meals to Natsu with different taste - which basically was explained up until the Phantom Lord arc. There's even normal fire that "stinks" too him so Natsu won't eat it. It was also explained that Natsu only felt sick when tasting Luxus' lightning for the first time - which is basically his first reaction on eating Etherion, too. So eating other elements is apparently much like us in the real world eating spicy food or drink alcohol for the first time. The more we do, the more we get used to, right?
    That's completely different. Natsu can eat ordinary food like ordinary people. Eating fire is in no way similar to eating normal food. He was trained by igneel to specifically eat fire just like how he (Igneel) does it. They consume flame to fuel their magic, just like how we use gasoline to fuel cars. You aren't planning to tell me that cars can move with water, orange juice and cold drinks if they try their best, are you ?

Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

No, but different fuel providers put different additions. My car runs on standard lead free super fuel but also on that e10.

And as all magic has one source. All magicians gain power from absorbing Ethernano. Have you read Natsu's comments on different kinds of flames including the different colored? Or have you forgotten that he ate some flame meals in Fairy Tail HQ? So far actually everything points towards that 1st generation Dragon Slayers eat elemental magic as meals.

BTW when was it said that Igneel eats fire?
    Last edited by hoeru; March 12, 2013 at 06:57 AM.

New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast