Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Computex 2013

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Knifeshade's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Computex 2013

And it's that time of the year again, where people around the world descend on Taipei for the latest and greatest in mobile and PC (and technology in general).

ASUS has shown the most stuff to date.

ASUS Zenbook Infinity

- 28W Haswell processor of some kind
    - Gorilla Glass 3 lid
    - 13.3" 2560x1440(?) display
    - Touchscreen and backlit keyboard

Photos

ASUS Fonepad Note FHD6

- Intel Atom Z2560 (1.6GHz dual-core)
    - 2GB RAM
    - 6" Full HD 1920x1080 IPS display
    - 3G voice and data
    - comes with stylus
    - Front-facing stereo speakers
    - 8MP rear camera, 1.2MP front camera

Photos

ASUS Memopad FHD10

- Intel Atom Z2560 (1.6GHz dual-core)
    - 2GB RAM
    - 10" Full HD 1920x1200 IPS display
    - Android 4.2
    - 16GB/32GB
    - 5MP rear, 1.2MP front cameras

Photos

ASUS Memopad HD7

- Quad-core Cortex A7 SoC
    - 7" 1280x800 IPS display
    - Stereo speakers
    - 8GB $129 (emerging markets only) / 16GB $149

Photos

New ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity

- 1.9GHz Tegra 4 SoC (quad-core Cortex A15)
    - 2GB RAM
    - 10.1" 2560x1600 IPS display
    - USB 3.0 port and SD slot
    - Dual-band 802.11 a/b/g/n
    - 32GB
    - 4K output via HDMI

Photos

This one is pretty interesting. I like the concept a lot.

ASUS Transformer Book Trio

- Atom + Haswell (dual processor)
    - Android JB + Windows 8 (dual OSes)
    - 1TB HDD / 64GB eMMC (dual storage)
    - 11.6" 1920x1080 IPS display
    - what it is, is the display houses the Android part and the dock base houses the Windows part. So if you use the display it's an Android tablet, attach the dock and it becomes a Windows PC.

Photos

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 and 10.1 announced.

Quote Quote:
    Samsung announced two new tablet models to its Android device lineup today. The 8-inch and 10.1-inch variants of the Galaxy Tab 3 are slight refreshes of the company’s older Tab models and will exist alongside the 7-inch Galaxy Tab 3. Both new tablets will ship with 4.2 Jelly Bean at launch, though they come with very different specifications.

The 8-inch device is fueled by a dual-core 1.5GHz processor with 1.5GB of RAM, a 1.3 megapixel front-facing camera, and a 5-megapixel rear-facing camera. It’s also available with 3G and 4G capabilities and has up to 32GB of internal storage, a 1280×800 pixel display, and a 4450 mAh battery pack. This device will live alongside the Galaxy Note 8, which shares the same screen resolution and camera specifications as the Galaxy Tab 3. However, the Note has a quad-core 1.6GHz processor with 2GB of RAM—a leg-up over the Tab 3’s dual-core one—and it features S Pen functionality for handwriting recognition.

The 10.1-inch Galaxy Tab 3 replaces the 10.1-inch Galaxy Tab 2 and sports beefed up specifications, though it will only have 1GB of RAM. Its 1.6GHz processor is being produced by Intel, and it will have 4G LTE capabilities, a 1280×800 pixel display resolution, and a 6800 mAh battery pack. Its rear-facing camera is 3MP.

The two tablets will be available internationally this month, but Samsung offered no specific launch date or starting price.

Acer announces new Iconia W3 tablet, new S3 and S7 Haswell ultrabooks.
    ARM Cortex A12 announced. Performance is between A9 and A15.
    -

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Computex 2013

Samsung Galaxy S 4 Active official: water resistant, LTE-capable, coming to the US and Europe this summer.

Quote Quote:
    Samsung's gone official with the Galaxy S 4 Active -- once again, before the company's incoming UK launch event. With IP67 water and dust protection -- it'll survive three feet of water for up to 30 minutes -- as well as a 5-inch (TFT LCD) 1080p display (443 ppi), there's an unspecified 1.9GHz quad-core processor to do the heavy lifting. Alongside LTE radios and Android 4.2.2, the GS4 Active packs an 8-megapixel camera with LED flash, while the front-facer will take up to two-megapixel stillw.

Now, to match those outdoor protective credentials, there's also a water-resistant headphone socket, Samsung's 'glove touch' screen tech (meaning you'll be able to handle it with gloves) and a special 'aqua mode' setting for the camera to improve all those underwater shots you're bound to take with a submersible smartphone. (In fact, for meteorologists, there's even an outdoors-y barometer built in too.) The phone launches in the US (most likely on AT&T) and Europe this summer, in Urban Grey, Dive Blue and Orange Flare color options. We're still waiting on pricing, but Samsung promises that we'll be able to test it in the flesh at the aforementioned London event later this month.

A 5" HTC Butterfly S (essentially a bigger One), as well as a 4.3" 720p HTC One mini, an obvious S4 mini competitor, hits the rumour mill.

An ASUS 31.5-inch 4K monitor priced at $3,799:

-

Grand Secretariat 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knifeshade View Post
    This one is pretty interesting. I like the concept a lot.

ASUS Transformer Book Trio

- Atom + Haswell (dual processor)
    - Android JB + Windows 8 (dual OSes)
    - 1TB HDD / 64GB eMMC (dual storage)
    - 11.6" 1920x1080 IPS display
    - what it is, is the display houses the Android part and the dock base houses the Windows part. So if you use the display it's an Android tablet, attach the dock and it becomes a Windows PC.

Photos
    Wow, that's a brilliant combination of OS. Do you think people would be a it sceptical about having both? I mean, it's not like you have to use both though but there are clearly advantages to it and I guess some disadvantages to having 2 OS on the same tablet( sort of)

A HTC One Mini would be sweet, and HTC's getting in direct competition with Samsung in releasing smaller version of its flagship mobile phones.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goldb View Post
    Wow, that's a brilliant combination of OS. Do you think people would be a it sceptical about having both? I mean, it's not like you have to use both though but there are clearly advantages to it and I guess some disadvantages to having 2 OS on the same tablet( sort of)
    I think there's definitely a usage model for it. A lot of people already augment their Android tablets (consumption) with their own desktop/notebook (productivity). I've read the docking is seamless. I presume the cloud will make working from one OS to the other as easy as possible. The downside is, I bet this isn't gonna be a cheap piece of kit. You're essentially paying for two devices at once.

Quote Quote:
    A HTC One Mini would be sweet, and HTC's getting in direct competition with Samsung in releasing smaller version of its flagship mobile phones.
    Definitely. A higher-res screen with the same camera as the HTC One in a package similar to the S4 mini (or even the iPhone 5) would sell like hotcakes.

Except it doesn't look mini enough. Got a few laughs out of me and some co-workers...

-

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Grand Secretariat 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knifeshade View Post
    I think there's definitely a usage model for it. A lot of people already augment their Android tablets (consumption) with their own desktop/notebook (productivity). I've read the docking is seamless. I presume the cloud will make working from one OS to the other as easy as possible. The downside is, I bet this isn't gonna be a cheap piece of kit. You're essentially paying for two devices at once.
    With that then, if Asus can get a big enough following with this, it may become a norm maybe? and have other companies follow suit. It's as you say, a lot of people who own both tablets and PCs/Laptops like to swap between quite a lot and it's usually across different OS. Now being able to do so on the same stage will be very convenient for a lot of consumers.

It looks like it could be a big hit.

Quote Quote:
    Definitely. A higher-res screen with the same camera as the HTC One in a package similar to the S4 mini (or even the iPhone 5) would sell like hotcakes.

Except it doesn't look mini enough. Got a few laughs out of me and some co-workers...

I was going to say it's got pretty much the same height and only the width seems to have changed. With the black colour, it reminds me more of the Blackberry Z10 than anything else.

New Reply