Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: (Shin) Prince of Tennis Videogame Discussion Thread

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Atobe the king's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does anyone still play Smash Hit 2 or Form the Strongest team?

A rather pretentious post....

Topspin 2, Smash court tennis 2/3, Virtua tennis 3/2009

SH2 had a sluggish shot system and my main complaint was how stiff the strokes looked
    When's Prince of Tennis Smash Hit 4

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fayte's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I was playing since Virtua Tennis 1 for dreamcast. All tennis games have the same thing in common. Run to the ball direction, hold down the direction and the hit button at the same time about 3 seconds before the ball hits your racquet, and you got yourself a power hit.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a false generalization...there's a reason people opt for Virtua tennis (which isn't realistic in ANY sense) instead of Top Spin 3.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I've played all of them. The core game mechanics are the same. You understand how one is played, you understand how all of them are played. With the exception of a few added buttons.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Ravsieg's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

I've played all Top Spins, all Smash Courts bar 3, all Virtua Tennis, many Genesis, PC, GBA, SNES crappy tennis games.

All the main ones took over 50 hours of my life each.

And let's say, even on the so-called top games, you need to play differently to play the best way possible.

Virtua Tennis is the most basic one. You don't need to know anything about real tennis like spins, strategies, tactics.. except the rules. And PoT knowledge doesn't count a little bit.
    All you have to do is to run around, never stop doing so. Because nearly everything is reachable. The game's all for looong points and big spectacle out of tennis. Total arcade, very little simulation. The shots have little difference between them so, in total arcadish manner, all you have to do is hit the ball to where your opponent isn't. Except the lob, and even so it's useless because nearly every single one of them is going to be caught due to the supreme speed and reaction the characters have.
    Well, in VT2 it's way more like this. VT3 actually has a little simulation on this that makes you think.
    Else, on VT, timing is very friendly. As long as you hold your swinging button for about a second whenever it is you're getting the full strength of your shot.
    Actually, VT needs a little bit of skill. It's not as crucial as most of the tennis simulators, but your positioning quite makes a difference. One single step ahead or behind where you should, and you'll have to hit the ball lower or higher than what would work the best. Same with side steps - a wrong one and you're hitting the ball further or closer to your body than it should. And a subtly wrong arm flection makes for worse shots.
    See, this is the kind of thing PoT doesn't teach you.

When it comes to SC, it's the total opposite of Virtua Tennis. And I mean, TOTAL OPPOSITE. While on VT characters have awfully strong speeds and reaction times, on SC they're awfully slow and you need to rely on prediction to guess where the next shot will be aimed at. One step the wrong direction, and whoops. You lost the point.Right, tennis noobs will find the best is to keep hitting to each side each time but people who actually know what they're talking about know that there's a right spin and precision to each situation.
    This shouts "simulation", but it's quite less permissive than real life. Whereas VT is more than it. Anyway, nevermind your body positioning. As long as you get in hitting range, your character will position himself automatically the best way possible for the shot anyway. You have to take care of timing though. If you're going for a strong flat shot, if you miss the right timing for a second you're going to beat the ball against the barriers or something. You try to hold the button? Huge mistake. The spin shots won't really go out, but a bad timing will make them have a lot less precision and spin.
    You can actually play simulated tennis on SC2 as the spins are pretty accurate and allow for decent strateging and tactics. But hey, if you're aiming for a win no matter what you won't do that. The flat shots are broken and you get best results by spamming them around brainlessly Sharapova-like. They might tire you way more than the other shots but as long as it's not a 5-setter it won't be a problem.

As for Topspin it's the most balanced one. You need to take care of timing on your hits, but you're still getting a little permission to error it, and you can hold the button for a while for increased power accordingly to where you're set your player comparing to the ball. And it's the most correct game in reaction/speed, really. The amount of time you have to reach the ball and your player's reaction to sudden movements feels quite accurate. I prefer this over the other ones if I'm taking it seriously, but when I'm out for fun I take VT. SC is quite the odd one out. I like it too, but the stiffness is quite boring.

And now comes SH2. What kind of fun comes from a game where, if you position yourself one step ahead of what you should.. rather than hitting the ball awkwardly on a difficult low position, your player would just rather swing his arm on the normal way.. which makes for slicing up the atmosphere because the ball is passing past him 2 feet below it? And so you lost your point on a really annoying whiff. There isn't an animation for those swings. And this just an example. Glad FTST took care of it.

I've had for months a huge idea for a completely unique tennis sim, but who am I to work on it.
    ~ Tirawit Kokin

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah FTST took care of it alright. They fix a bug like that and make 3 other horrible changes. You don't need the big ridiculous status bars with the pictures. You know the character you picked. You don't need the absurd speed, the other one was fine. You don't need the long special sequences, the other one was so much better, and didn't stop the game for 5 seconds.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The speed in SH2 was horrible

I reiterate, there is no reason Taka needs to move in slow motions because he isn't a speed player.

There is no reason Tezuka lugs to the net because he lacks the net Dash ability.

The players in FTST aren't even running that fast, the running animations are just poorly done.

The specials aren't even that long, the only real culprits are Kirihara's Laser Beam

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner dashwen's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

hey guys; a couple of quick questions;

I have FTST and smash hits 2 but had some questions

On Smash Hits 2; ive seen videos where there special gauge (at the beginning of the match) was infinite; --wondering how i can initiate that in the beginning of the match (launching infinite specials seems fun =) )

Another question; Ive seen where you can go into MnK in FTST with Sanada and Echizen; how do i activate that -pre game? during game?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 3des View Post
    hey guys; a couple of quick questions;

I have FTST and smash hits 2 but had some questions

On Smash Hits 2; ive seen videos where there special gauge (at the beginning of the match) was infinite; --wondering how i can initiate that in the beginning of the match (launching infinite specials seems fun =) )
    Hold Select while choosing the exhibition match mode

Quote Quote:
    Another question; Ive seen where you can go into MnK in FTST with Sanada and Echizen; how do i activate that -pre game? during game?
    Sanada doesn't have Muga, the only people who have it are Ryoma (natural ability) and Kirihara and Taki (latent ability)

To activate it they need the ability Kakusei (awakening) and must be at level 5 tension/energy

the easiest way to get it imo

-Get all the desired players stats to at least all S
    -They will get Genkai (can't level up)
    -Challenge them to a one game singles match and defeat them
    -Go do recreational activities
    -Hopefully you bump into Nanjiroh
    -Lose to him
    -Try and do more recreational activities
    -Hopefully you see him again and you have a rematch, beat him with level five tension (meaning your mental must be SS)

Ryoma doesn't have to go through all of this, just get his Mental to SS

This process can be time consuming..but i've done it close to 20 times

Also you will be saving and reloading often..

Also MnK is REALLY REALLY broken

Ryoma has it because he was nerfed from SH2 and his shots aren't really worth exploiting..now some one like Sanada becomes broken like this..or Kirihara

Lets take Sanada

Charge his power serve (which forces a lob) and then use (reclined Dragon/Garyu) on the lob..no one but AKutsu and some others have GRIP and it's a latent ability so you have to customize them to get it, so only Fuji/oshitari/Kirihara can return this, but they would have to have Muga for them to stand a chance because Ka naturally counters Higuma Otoshi.

On return games spam his Fuu return and you win 6-0 with possibly a golden bagel

Kirihara...use the knuckle serve down the T and they will be hit by it..even 4 of those would KO Kaido
    Last edited by Atobe the king; June 13, 2009 at 10:09 AM.

Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fayte View Post
    Yeah FTST took care of it alright. They fix a bug like that and make 3 other horrible changes. You don't need the big ridiculous status bars with the pictures. You know the character you picked. You don't need the absurd speed, the other one was fine. You don't need the long special sequences, the other one was so much better, and didn't stop the game for 5 seconds.
    I didn't really notice the HUD changes, I always get too immerse on the action rather than those things. As for stopping the game for the special moves, I enjoyed it. It added to the atmosphere.
    ~ Tirawit Kokin

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ravsieg View Post
    I didn't really notice the HUD changes, I always get too immerse on the action rather than those things. As for stopping the game for the special moves, I enjoyed it. It added to the atmosphere.
    I agree, i was annoyed by it At first...but i played SH2 and FTST back to back and didn't even realize the difference in terms of special sequences

Most are short..it's just ones like Kirihara's Laser beam that are long

Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, he won't shut his mouth while he's going for it.

However, I did enjoy my Kikumaru reciting "Ik Kyo No Kon" when I made him use the Scud Serve I taught him.
    ~ Tirawit Kokin

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ravsieg View Post
    Yeah, he won't shut his mouth while he's going for it.

However, I did enjoy my Kikumaru reciting "Ik Kyo No Kon" when I made him use the Scud Serve I taught him.
    Dude...thats so wrong lol

I usually only give them techniques that would suit them, or they had later on..

Like Eiji has S & V, Tezuka has Atobe's prelude to despair (because when you press R1+O it basically becomes a Zero Shiki serve), Atobe has super rising etc

But i did screw around a lot at times..i have a Nio with Scud serve, Zero shiki, acrobatic play, Hametsu e no rondo, and Muga No Kyouchi..for some reason he doesn't fault at all

Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

That Nioh is monstruous. xD

You won't beat my wrongness, really.

I...

GAVE OOTORI THE DEVIL MODE.

That's right.
    ~ Tirawit Kokin

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol i would never think to do something like that lol

I have a Ryoma..with Nanjirohs tractor beam that kills stamina...you know what that means? lol

New Reply
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast