Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)

View Poll Results: Favorite Studio?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • A-1 Pictures

    0 0%
  • AIC

    0 0%
  • Arms

    0 0%
  • Bones

    1 25.00%
  • Brain's Base

    0 0%
  • Gainax

    0 0%
  • Ghibli

    2 50.00%
  • Gonzo

    0 0%
  • J.C. Staff

    1 25.00%
  • Kyoto Animation

    2 50.00%
  • Madhouse

    2 50.00%
  • Manglobe

    1 25.00%
  • P.A. Works

    0 0%
  • Pierrot

    0 0%
  • Production I.G

    0 0%
  • SHAFT

    1 25.00%
  • Studio 4°C

    0 0%
  • Studio Deen

    0 0%
  • Sunrise

    0 0%
  • TMS Entertainment

    1 25.00%
  • Toei Animation

    0 0%
  • Ufotable

    0 0%
  • White Fox

    0 0%
  • Zexcs

    0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
New Reply
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Favorite Studio

  1. #1
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    Canada
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,898
    Post Thanks / Like

    Favorite Animation Studio

    What it says on the tin, basically. I know each anime is different depending on the director/writer/crew who are working on it, but sometimes studios can be consistent in the quality and enjoyment of shows they produce. Which one is your favorite? Is there a specific studio you keep track of?

    Popular examples include Studio Ghibli, Shaft, Studio Deen, Madhouse, Gonzo, Gainax etc.

    My favourite studio is Manglobe for producing gems such as Ergo Proxy and Samurai Champloo. The animation I've seen from them has always been really well done.

  2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  3. #2
    Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Holy Grail
    Country
    Germany
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    17,418
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Favorite Animation Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    What it says on the tin, basically. I know each anime is different depending on the director/writer/crew who are working on it, but sometimes studios can be consistent in the quality and enjoyment of shows they produce. Which one is your favorite? Is there a specific studio you keep track of?

    Popular examples include Studio Ghibli, Shaft, Studio Deen, Madhouse, Gonzo, Gainax etc.

    My favourite studio is Manglobe for producing gems such as Ergo Proxy and Samurai Champloo. The animation I've seen from them has always been really well done.
    I would probably go with the rather famous ones (well they're famous for a reason XD) but it's hard to choose one favourite. Production I.G. impressed me a lot lately, as has A-1 Pictures (AnoHana, Ao no Exorcist, Sword Art Online) - one more reason why I'm looking forward to the Magi anime so much.

    Besides that I would probably go with Madhouse because they do a really good job most of the time. It's impossible to only create good works but lately MH became a studio I expect a good quality from - the Hellsing OVA's, the new Hunter x Hunter anime, Chihayafuru or Redline are just a few examples of absolutely enjoyable works they produced.

  4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  5. #3
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Country
    Israel
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    511
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Favorite Animation Studio

    I would list Bones as my favourite studio because of both FMA's which were amazing in my opinion as a first, I watched every anime they made and although there were some in which the endings weren't the best the animation was still top of the line, not to mention the movie Sword of the stranger.

    Close to that I would say Madhouse also for Redline, DN, Summer wars, the entire Marvel animes, HXH and a lot more that I just can't recall right now but still the feeling of getting something getting adapted by Madhouse is always exciting.

    A-1 seems to take a lot of projects on them lately, in Oct. they will have at least 5 projects simultaneously so that makes me a little worried that some of them might suffer due to that but still Magi and Shinsekai Yori are very high on my watchlist, I do see this studio becoming one of the best very soon.

    2 studios that I would like to mention here that are not getting much attention that I think have a very bright future are UFOtable which did Fate/Zero and the Toriko OVA and David production that did Ben-To, Level-E and The book of Bantorra and I very much enjoyed all of those works and although I didn't read Jojo at all I'm hyped for the anime since it's done by David.

  6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  7. #4
    Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Holy Grail
    Country
    Germany
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    17,418
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Favorite Animation Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by susanoo13 View Post
    I would list Bones as my favourite studio because of both FMA's which were amazing in my opinion as a first, I watched every anime they made and although there were some in which the endings weren't the best the animation was still top of the line, not to mention the movie Sword of the stranger.
    Star Driver and Heroman didn't interest me in the least and both Gosick and No.6 didn't impress me in any way, that's why I dropped them. UN-GO was okay/good but nothing that made me regain faith in the studio. Ever since then I started to be a bit sceptical of the studio. They sure are capable of good things but they're gone from my list of really good studios for now. Let's see how Zetsuen turns out.

  8. #5
    Der blaue Denker MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Drinking Rum
    Country
    Germany
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,445
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Favorite Animation Studio

    Aside from classic Ghibli, which in the past was really better, as they produced more, I think SHAFT is the best in this century Madoka, SZS and Arakawa under the bridge are wonderful, the latter two got me into their respective manga, still I prefer both their animes. xD After that Sunrise: Code Geass, Gintama, Cowboy Bebop. I like Ouran the best from Bones personally.^^

  9. #6
    MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Country
    United States
    Age
    31
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,959
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Favorite Animation Studio

    I really want to say BONES because they are responsible for Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Soul Eater, Eureka Seven, and much more; but I have often noticed that, when they get creative with the story writing, things can turn a little sour. Which happens kind of a lot; even though they are the best animators around that I know of.

    So I have to go with Sunrise. Which has a much longer list of successes in terms of adaptations and general story telling and isn't too far behind in animation. Some of the highlights would be Code Geass, Gintama, Tiger and Bunny, Gundam SEED, Inuyasha, Escaflowne, Witch Hunter Robin, and of course Cowboy Bebop. So I'd have to say their my favorite.

    Interesting trivia both BONES and Mangalobe were formed by staff who were previously a part of Sunrise.
    Last edited by Jammin; September 12, 2012 at 01:57 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

  10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  11. #7
    Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Holy Grail
    Country
    Germany
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    17,418
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Favorite Animation Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
    Aside from classic Ghibli, which in the past was really better, as they produced more, I think SHAFT is the best in this century Madoka, SZS and Arakawa under the bridge are wonderful, the latter two got me into their respective manga, still I prefer both their animes. xD After that Sunrise: Code Geass, Gintama, Cowboy Bebop. I like Ouran the best from Bones personally.^^
    SHAFT really produced some great works. I think they are an exception regarding the case that you totally know what to expect from them. Something awesomely weird and strange - they never disappoint (at least not until now). I have a few studios from which I expect a lot and think highly of but SHAFT is the only one that comes to mind where I exactly know what kind of series I can expect.

    Gainax and Ghibli too maybe, but I have to say that I never was that huge of a Ghibli fan.

  12. #8
    Der blaue Denker MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Drinking Rum
    Country
    Germany
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,445
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Favorite Animation Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    SHAFT really produced some great works. I think they are an exception regarding the case that you totally know what to expect from them. Something awesomely weird and strange - they never disappoint (at least not until now). I have a few studios from which I expect a lot and think highly of but SHAFT is the only one that comes to mind where I exactly know what kind of series I can expect.

    Gainax and Ghibli too maybe, but I have to say that I never was that huge of a Ghibli fan.
    Well, in each new season I always look for an anime by them, Madoka was a great choice, since it was their first original story as well, if they continue these, they are surely the best.

    Hm, I think Ghibli had its best days, sadly, though I think they are more classic now than relevant, though maybe there can be a new renaissance for them in the future.

  13. #9
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    Canada
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,898
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Favorite Animation Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    So I have to go with Sunrise. Which has a much longer list of successes in terms of adaptations and general story telling and isn't too far behind in animation. Some of the highlights would be Code Geass, Gintama, Tiger and Bunny, Gundam SEED, Inuyasha, Escaflowne, Witch Hunter Robin, and of course Cowboy Bebop. So I'd have to say their my favorite.
    I'm (re)watching Inuyasha right now, and I agree with you. Most anime series with multiple seasons tend to be off in animation quality -that's why there are funny screenshots from Naruto- but Sunrise has always been pretty good.

    Quote Quote:
    Interesting trivia both BONES and Mangalobe were formed by staff who were previously a part of Sunrise.
    Hmm, I never knew that. I like how each of those studios have their own style.

  14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  15. #10
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Limit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    106
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Favorite Animation Studio

    Yeah, Sunrise takes it for me. though it was hard to decide. Code Geass, Gintama, and some Gundam series are on my fav. anime lists, esp. Gintama and they always do a good job on it. Sket dance has really good animation imo so they don't disappoint.

    Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    I'm (re)watching Inuyasha right now, and I agree with you. Most anime series with multiple seasons tend to be off in animation quality -that's why there are funny screenshots from Naruto- but Sunrise has always been pretty good.


    Hmm, I never knew that. I like how each of those studios have their own style.
    Yeah, Sunrise is pretty consistent with their quality, they don't drop it a lot as much as other long-running series do.

    And I never knew that either. xD Sunrise is just that good I guess.

  16. #11
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    United States
    Age
    35
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    27,107
    Post Thanks / Like

    Favorite Studio

    Discuss some of your favorite anime studio's here. Please be sure to name a few favorite anime for each studio you discuss, and explain exactly why a studio is one of your favorites. Links are always appreciated.

    My favorite studios are SHAFT and Kyoto Animation.

    KyoAni has a relatively small catalog of anime, they only began independent production in 2003. I have seen most (not all) of their anime, and enjoyed everything I have seen. Their best are always funny, quirky, spirited, and entertaining. Production quality is always top of the line - great direction, character design, and animation, with wonderful, warm, color pallets. K-On! (both seasons), Clannad (both seasons), Chuunibyou, Hyouka, and Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu are my favorites.

    I love the quirky, eccentric story telling of studio SHAFT. Prior to Sasami-san@Ganbaranai, I had loved every anime they released over the last five years (give or take). Theie mind bending visual style always is a feast for the eyes. Madoka Magica, The Monogatari Franchise, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei Franchise, and both seasons of the ef~ franchise are my favorites.

    There are other studios I like, but not without qualifications. I will watch a new anime by KyoAni or SHAFT without question. I am beginning to really like Brains Base. There recent anime have all been thought provoking, and incredibly well animated. I have not seen enough of their marquee anime to form a full opinion. I am currently watching Drrr!!, and love it. Hotarubi no Mori e was brilliant, so was Mawaru Penguindrum.

  17. #12
    MangaHelper 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member jakensama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    258
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Favorite Studio

    Ghibli-Their films are probably loaded with more frames of animation than any other anime studio's. It is comparable with Disney. You can consistently expect incredible fluidity of expression and movement, incredibly detailed backgrounds which are well animated, and wonderful use of color. Honestly it takes the best aspects of Western animation (more detailed backgrounds, much more frames of animation expecially in facial expressions and movements) and combines it with the best of Eastern animation (varied camera angles, style) to create something IMO that is unmatched in the anime world. Also I'm a big fan of hand drawn animation, and Ghibli has stuck with hand drawn cels a lot longer and more often than other studios. Laputa, Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa, Ponyo, Kiki, etc. etc. there are so many examples of masterworks in animation.

    Madhouse-For its faith to the mangaka. It is often frame by frame panel by panel perfect conversion from manga to anime. You would think the mangaka drew everything in the anime him/herself. Monster, Vampire Hunter d bloodlust, Hellsing Ultimate, Master Keaton, Metropolis, Ninja Scroll......they've done amazing work in the formats of OVA, television, and film.

  18. #13
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    Canada
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,898
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Favorite Studio

    Great thread, Kait! We already had a pre-existing studio thread so I merged that with this.

    ---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

    I voted for Manglobe, Madhouse and TMS Entertainment; the latter is because I've seen no problems with the animation in Detective Conan even though it's a long-running series.

  19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  20. #14
    Kya~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Country
    Uganda
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,318
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Favorite Studio

    ufotable would be my first choice, I think. Most of their anime are, animation-wise, wonderfully crafted. I wish they're more prolific in producing anime series since they never fails to impress me until now. Other choice is might be SHAFT or Kyoto Animation.

New Reply

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts