Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!

View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Thread Closed
Page 31 of 134 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 81 131 ... LastLast

Thread: Mafia Game "Discussion" Thread v.7

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Kaoz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mafia Game "Discussion" Thread v.7

I happened to take a short glance at the last game and was told to go here for setup discussion, so if I may make a few comments:
    • The setup is very favourable for the town in my eyes. When you look at pure numbers, it's 19-5, which gives them 6(!) mislynches to work with; that's a lot, and for you guys three or at the very most four mislynches (depending on how much faith the host has in the playerbase) is probably better suited.
    • On top of the above numbers, town-mafia Lovers and the Bomb are pretty bad roles to use because they are potential (and not unlikely) 1:1 trades and the mafia can't do anything about it. I would always suggest including a Vengeful Townie over either of them, it actually takes skill to use and can backfire if played poorly.
    • Death Miller is a bastard role and in general just really bad. It tempers with one of the most important elements of scumhunting (the flip), which renders any interactions that player had prior to his death pretty much meaningless, and unlike Cops of different sanity, the town has no realistic chance to figure a Death Miller out. Plain Miller (scans as mafia, but flips town) is still considered borderline by some people, but generally accepted as long as the townie knows he is a Miller from the start.

Those are just some overall points, I didn't look over the setup too carefully to see whether I'd have other issues with it. In general, if I had known people other than Evil would be hosting games when I made the guides thread, I would have included some for that purpose as well:
    Mafia Pointing Theory, by Axelrod
    Balancing a Mafia Setup, by Puzzle

Maybe a mod would like to add those two.

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Hakuteiken's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 3c View Post
    When I told you to shut up earlier, it was because you went on about people continuing your list etc. That's influencing the game. I'm not about making people shut up unreasonably. If their talk is innocent, it's fine. But people are really careless with what is being said. In this game even the most innocent speech can be interpreted as having a meaning behind it. It's why I almost didn't say a word after dying. That's however more critical for dead Mafia members, as they KNOW who's townie and who is not. Hence no matter who I make a comment at, it can quickly "mean" something. For townies it's not as critical.
    I don't get it, really. How is it even influencing the game? I could say the same as an outsider who isn't even playing the game. I wasn't trying to tell them to follow my ideas. I suggested them to keep breaking down the major information.
    Well, never mind. Perhaps because it was still a suggestion, a vague one, but still one.

Last Breath 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member 3c's Avatar
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
    Mafia Pointing Theory, by Axelrod
    Balancing a Mafia Setup, by Puzzle

Maybe a mod would like to add those two.
    They are actually there already.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuteiken View Post
    I don't get it, really. How is it even influencing the game? I could say the same as an outsider who isn't even playing the game. I wasn't trying to tell them to follow my ideas. I suggested them to keep breaking down the major information.
    Well, never mind. Perhaps because it was still a suggestion, a vague one, but still one.
    If you're telling the town how to play, or advicing them, how is that not influencing the game? Making lists is one of the most organized approaches to systematically keep tabs on the entire pool of players. If you are giving them suggestions as a dead player, you are talking beyond what you should.
    Don't. Be. A. Steph.

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're telling the town how to play, or advicing them, how is that not influencing the game? Making lists is one of the most organized approaches to systematically keep tabs on the entire pool of players. If you are giving them suggestions as a dead player, you are talking beyond what you should.
    As I said, it really is a pretty vague concept. As an instance, it roughly equals to suggesting the Freeman shouldn't reveal his role, in my opinion.
    Anyway, point taken. No need to further argue about that.

Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

And you think it's fine to tell players to not play their roles stupidly after you have died? In a scenario where you keep silent as a living player, and go "Whoever the Freeman is, don't reveal your role" after you are dead is affecting the town's chances of victory. Another consequence is that the ones not revealing their roles get extra spotlight as a possible Freeman if you words are remembered. Even if you have preached it as a living player, and only "remind them" as a dead player, it can influence the game.
    Don't. Be. A. Steph.

Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Haku got it Nuno

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

I do, since it's like saying 1+1 = 2 for the Mafia game. So, basically, I consider it as a trivial matter.
    Say, if I make a guide for the Mafia game, include this suggestion in that guide and link to it in my sig, would you think it's influencing the game? Because it really is a general suggestion, not circumstantial. I won't even know if there is a Freeman in the game, and if there is one, he shouldn't reveal his role no matter what.

For the record, I wouldn't really constantly bring up the "Freeman should shut up" argument to avoid getting silent people under spotlight and pressure, as you said, alive or after getting killed, doesn't matter. It was just an exemplary suggestion which I deemed as trivial.

MH's Funniest Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity digitaldude's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't argue with haku, it's pointless.

10. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheBoss's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Argh such big posts are making my head hurt D:
    So what will be the next theme?

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jorped View Post
    16-25 March i don't have any classes, so around that time, it would be great for me. It can also be later, but in that case, the game can't be as big as this one XP. Even though i have a lot of stuff to do, i can participate on the game
    Will it be Harry Potter theme?
    HP? I doubt it better save that, I doubt we will have a big game so maybe we could even use some crap theme... how about hot boys fighting each other?

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy View Post
    I'm in.

3c
    gnut
    jorped
    Hardy

GO AND JOIN GARY, YOU HAVE TO REDEEM YOURSELF AFTER GETTING KILLED FIRST DAY! IMPERIUM JOIN AGAIN, HAKU I WANT YOU ON BOARD! HECK EVEN LAWLETTE DID A DECENT JOB SO GO JOIN! DIGITALDUDE TOO, PLEASE PARTICIPATE! MIDO + FARFALLA, ESPECIALLY MIDO - JOIN JOIN JOIN! AND BENE PLEAZE! DID I FORGET ANYONE? JUST JOIN!

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Funniest Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity digitaldude's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I am in.

Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    I think Haku got it Nuno

I'm saying it's not that vague, which he has disagreed with. I wouldn't post otherwise.
    Don't. Be. A. Steph.

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldude View Post
    Don't argue with haku, it's pointless.
    This took its deserved place in my sig.

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

I'm saying it's not that vague, which he has disagreed with. I wouldn't post otherwise.
    It's all down to this -> Don't argue with Haku, it's pointless.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted lawlett-kun's Avatar
    Country
    South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

lols gary

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldude View Post
    I am in.

3c
    gnut
    jorped
    Hardy
    digitaldude

Quote Originally Posted by lawlett-kun View Post