Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (6/30/14 - 7/6/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 752 by cnet128 , Bleach 587 (2) , Gintama 501 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Collective Reading of Planetes by Makoto Yukimura

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collective Reading of Planetes by Makoto Yukimura

Quote Originally Posted by Zehahaha View Post
    There's people who have exceptional goals, if you hear someone says " I want to be at the top of this world " or " I want to be the best scientist, doctor " anything else, those are exceptional goals and great goals, or for example " I want to leave my fingerprints on the life of the next generations by doing something revolutionary "

They're both solid goals and great one too
    Yes, that did not answer my question though. Yukimura tries to make the audience identify with his characters as much as possible. The average joe does not have the goals you mentioned, he just lives for his daily live. 99% of the people in this world just don´t have those goals, so it would be counterproductive to give his characters such goals while trying to bring his character close to the audience as much as possible.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zehahaha's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Yes, that did not answer my question though. Yukimura tries to make the audience identify with his characters as much as possible. The average joe does not have the goals you mentioned, he just lives for his daily live. 99% of the people in this world just don´t have those goals, so it would be counterproductive to give his characters such goals while trying to bring his character close to the audience as much as possible.
    Personally, I'm not interested by normal dudes, I'm already normal anyway, don't need that if you see what I'm trying to say, hence why I like characters who have big goals

I don't read mangas to identify myself to some character, I read mangas because there's imagination there, no boundaries at all

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zehahaha View Post
    Personally, I'm not interested by normal dudes, I'm already normal anyway, don't need that if you see what I'm trying to say, hence why I like characters who have big goals

I don't read mangas to identify myself to some character, I read mangas because there's imagination there, no boundaries at all
    That´s perfectly fine of course, it is a matter of preference and motivation for reading manga and fictional stories in the first place. I enjoy both, the idealistic characters who inspire us (like Luffy for example) and the realistic ones who teach us things.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Zehahaha have you tried reading Kingdom ?

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of the anonymous hero: even the man who sells cigarrettes in the corner could be a hero of a remarkable and secret story. I guess, in the beginning is just a matter of the images that appear in the cover page of a comic, of a film, etc.... But if you take the time to look closer you can find more heroes than those that you can watch a first sight. So yes, that's a matter of preferences but not about what you want to see, but where you want to search...
    ...the philosophic outburst...

Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    Zehahaha have you tried reading Kingdom ?
    Nope, but since you seem to advise me to read it, I may actually do it once I have free time

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ErosVp's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm busy this week, so I'll catch up in week 2. Once I get some free time 26 chapters will be easy....

What do you desire? Money? Glory? Power? Revenge? Or something that surpass all others?
    Whatever you desire.... That is here... Tower of God!

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErosVp View Post
    I'm busy this week, so I'll catch up in week 2. Once I get some free time 26 chapters will be easy....
    Nice, you're very welcome!!! :-)

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

Comment about chapter 9

Spoiler show

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

Comment on chapter 11

Spoiler show

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheMoa's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been pretty busy.. could only read the first 4 chapters, but I'm liking the tone of the manga, it has a very realistic feel and that's the last thing you expect from a space story. Off course chapter 3 was an outlier, since it was't very realistic and had more of a gag atmosphere, with Fee strugling to smoke
    I'll probably catch up on the weekend

Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

@ukimix

I found it weird that Hakimu stopped too... From what I understood, they seem to be tired of this stuff
    It seems the SDF (Space Defense Front) are losing support, they can no longer keep up with this... So I guess they got tired of this already

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that's weird. Even after ceasing their activities, it was extrange that Hakimu had cared about Hashimaki and had stopped him when he was going to take the elevator, if on the other hand he was hurting and killing civilians with their bombs.

Where did you see SDF was losing support?
    Last edited by ukimix; March 21, 2013 at 07:51 AM.

Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    Yes, that's weird. Even after ceasing their activities, it was extrange that Hakimu had cared about Hashimaki and had stopped him when he was going to take the elevator, if on the other hand he was hurting and killing civilians with their bombs.

Where did you see SDF was losing support?
    That's what Hachi's father said, apparently they're beginning to lose support

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I see that I was not alone to find this part weird. It's like the author didn't know how to handle the terrorist part of the story and decided to abandon it.
    So far I must say that it is the first chapters I have enjoyed the most.

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    I see that I was not alone to find this part weird. It's like the author didn't know how to handle the terrorist part of the story and decided to abandon it.
    So far I must say that it is the first chapters I have enjoyed the most.
    Why you like them the most?

I see that in the story there is a tension between what I would call the ant creed, represented by the chief of the whole mission, which consist in the fact that the colony and the objectives of the colony are more important than the particular lives of some ants --some people could be sacrifaced in order to eb succesful in a project that concerns all of the humany--, and the care creed, represented by Tanabe, who clearly cares for a single live, disaprove the ant ideology and cheers for love and compassion. Hahismahi is in the middle of those poles. And the idea of "the space is everywhere", and "there is no limits" seems to be the solution to the tension between the poles. Hashimashi's parents seems to understand it. (But I don't get it yet).

Btw, Hashimahis' mother line: "You're right. Think about it, because you are not too smart" is just beautiful!!!.
    Last edited by ukimix; March 21, 2013 at 11:29 AM.

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheMoa's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

ok, I just finished the first 2 volumes
    to be honest, at first I was expecting the story to be around Yuri.. I think that was the author intention too
    I'm curious with what physics the author will come up for this Jupiter mission, I mean, Jupiter is a gas planet

I didn't like how the terrorist thing ended... it was too much "power of love" for my taste
    I thought that the art looked a lot with Vinland saga, especially face expressions then I looked it up and it's the same mangaka... I didn't know

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast