Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Collective Reading of Planetes by Makoto Yukimura

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collective Reading of Planetes by Makoto Yukimura

At first it felt weird because all the support staff/comany was missing in the original, which added some good filler in the animated version, also Hoshino is clearly the MC in here.

The first couple of chapters had the problem with keeping the appearances alike, so I had to think twice if it's still the same hero or a changing one.^^ But it got better and better with Yuri's face having that distinct art style from Vinland Saga. I like how Yukimura gave Hachimaki that simple face, while providing some more serious and more realistic ones in important scenes. The individual chapters felt well handled.

At first we learned about the dangers of space, well handled as an introduction to this series which is pretty based with the author trying to be as realistic as possible. The second one handles the situation of staying in space and it's implications of creating life there as well as preserving the earthlings life in the wild anddangerous cosmos. Sadly Nono has nearly no appearance in the next ten chapters from that point on. The third one introduced the terrorist element with their fear of abadoning earth, only later fully explained in chapter eight and nine. I loved the comedic spin to it, also liked this version better than it's adaption ep. 12. The home visit was nice too, we learn more about Hoshino's family, while giving room to highlight the topic of "acceptance", for both fate and everyone already being in space. Again nice to see the author create something to ponder about, no comment on the Kyutaro's growth. :P The fifth one deals with the psychological aspects of space-faring, introduces us to his conscience and sparks the flame of his ambition to one day own a space ship himself one day. Also the birth of his most ugly side and prelude to the feeling Tanabe from the second volume.

Second part coming tomorrow.

A tiny hint for his next series?

Last edited by Schabrak; March 23, 2013 at 07:19 PM.
    Firm but Fair

2. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Thread open for discussion of vol 3 and 4.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    Why you like them the most?
    I think I liked they the most because they had a more poesy. The image of the smoke you pointed in chapter 3, the compass of Yuri.
    Also I can't say that I agree with the ant creed you pointed out. Also we are leaving characters that I liked (Yuri, Fi) for some characters that I appreciate less so far (Hachi's father, Locksmith, Tanabe)

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    I think I liked they the most because they had a more poesy. The image of the smoke you pointed in chapter 3, the compass of Yuri.
    Also I can't say that I agree with the ant creed you pointed out. Also we are leaving characters that I liked (Yuri, Fi) for some characters that I appreciate less so far (Hachi's father, Locksmith, Tanabe)
    I'd like also if Fi and Yuri would have more development. I suppose we will know where to put all those extra pieces like chapter 1 and 3 (dedicated to both of them), in the whole puzzle, once we have read all the story.

Why you can't agree with the ant creed?

---------- Post added March 25, 2013 at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was March 24, 2013 at 09:32 PM ----------

k-dom,

I wonder if the french version has a complete version of the poem "Black Flowers Called Sakinohaka" by Kenji Miyasawa. It's featured in Volume 2 according with the english editor.´Its title is the same of two chapters of that volume: 8 and 9. I cant find it in Google.

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

Here an english version:

Quote Quote:
    With a black flower called 'Sakinohaka'

諸君よ
    紺いろの地平線が膨らみ高まるときに
    諸君はその中に没することを欲するか
    じつに諸君は此の地平線に於ける
    あらゆる形の山嶽でなければならぬ

サキノハカといふ黒い花といっしょに
    革命がやがてやって来る
    それは一つの送られた光線であり
    決せられた南の風である、
    諸君はこの時代に強ひられ率ひられて
    奴隷のやうに忍従することを欲するか
    むしろ諸君よ
    更にあらたな正しい時代をつくれ
    宙宇は絶えずわれらに依って変化する
    潮風や風、
    あらゆる自然の力を用ひ尽すことから一足進んで
    諸君は新たな自然を形成するのに努めなばならぬ

====

Everyone,
    when the deep-blue horizon swells and rises,
    do you feel like submerging yourselves in it ?
    Indeed,
    You must become the many-shaped
    mountains on the horizon.

With a black flower called 'Sakinohaka'
    a revolution will soon be here.
    It is a ray of light sent to us,
    a southerly wind already decided on.
    Do you want to endure to keep serving an age
    that leads you by force,like a slave ?

Instead, everyone,
    you must create a further newer right age.
    The universe is ceaselessly changed depending on us.
    You must go a step furtherthan using up all the energies of naturelike
    the tide and the wind,you must try to form new nature.

(宮沢賢治「生徒諸君に寄せる」より)
    But also there is a poem by Kenji Miyazawa, a poet and author of children literature, entitled "To my students" which brings the line: "with a Black Flower called Sakinohaka". It would be nice to find it.

I wonder if Makoto Yukimura is buddhist. Miyasawa was, and many lines of Planetes seem to be related to budism.
    Last edited by ukimix; March 25, 2013 at 02:10 PM.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I found this too but it's not at all what the poem looks like in French and the Japanese starts differently so I think it is another one but I can't find it.

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it's different then the english excerpt o that poem which begins:

Quote Quote:
    Beat them down! Beat them down!
    Those who have worked hard only to waste awaty drinking...
    and ends with

Quote Quote:
    We must surmount the blue majhesty of the mountains
    We must look to the galaxy for our power
    Maybe the two parts are excerpts of a larger poem.

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 PM ----------

Spoiler show

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

Does any one know something about this: http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=37070? Is there english versions? Baka says no.
    Last edited by ukimix; March 25, 2013 at 04:20 PM.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

So I'm at the end of chapter 13 and Hachi current apathy is a bit of a mistery for me. Is it because he discovered everything is part of space therefore he didn't need to go to Jupiter to discover it ?

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    So I'm at the end of chapter 13 and Hachi current apathy is a bit of a mistery for me. Is it because he discovered everything is part of space therefore he didn't need to go to Jupiter to discover it ?
    Chapter 16 has some important clues about it. But I'm not fully satisfied with the possible answers, so I'm looking forward to see how it ends. I'm beginning chapter 22. If I may say, the story has more than one main protagonist, it's not only about Hashi.

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

I'm looking for a biography of Yukimura. I guess this story would be much more undestandable if you know who is they guy behind of it. (I suppose that could happen when you read a slice of life).

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 AM ----------

I ended. It's a nice story. But I still have some questions and no answers to them. I wonder about Fee, and I feel like if I would have to understand some of Yukimura's personals beliefes to be able to understand his story. I will post my questions in some days when you people have ended your reading.

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

Question about chapter 20:

Spoiler show

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

Chapter 20

Spoiler show

---------- Post added March 27, 2013 at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was March 26, 2013 at 11:13 PM ----------

An interesting review of Planetes, posted in Manga Worth Reading on December 23, 2005 by Johanna Draper Carlson

Spoiler show

---------- Post added March 28, 2013 at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was March 27, 2013 at 02:27 PM ----------

On a second thought, I would have to say that is not as good asc I was hoping. To me, Fee saved the story. She´s the most solid character in the story. Much more than Hashi and Tanabe, and I think she's much more wise than Goro and the big chief of the mission.

I wont' be able to connect in some days. I will come back next sunday. I would like to read what you think about the story, guys. Good weekend! :-)

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kindredxiuxiu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys.

I've been extremely busy the past couple of weeks. I've only managed to finish volume 1 thus far... I'm going to read through the rest this week and write up my thoughts per volume, and then an overall impression. I'm sorry I've been missing lately!

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

I give you my personal impression.

If I took this story as one that wants to give me some kind of message about the waste problem in our civilization, then (i) I would have to point that debris problem in 2070s, is also waste problem in ours 2010s… and seen in that way, (ii) I would have to disagree with its message whatever it could be. What role would I try to assume in the world portrayed by the story? And that’s a political question. The point is that Hashimaki mystical solution doesn’t say much to me. As the review points, he accepts his place/role in the vastness of the Universe, and accepts that love is an essential part of that place/role. What a deep thought, but also what a useless thought, since it provide a practical solution for the waste problem.

There, the story fails to portray the political position of people who cares about that problem. The story seems to have only one role for them: the Space Defense Front, but it ridicules them, by giving not a believable output to their quest with their unexplainable stopping to their actions, and with this drawing that seems to portray them as if they were smoking marihuana or something…

Spoiler show

Developed nations (USA and Japan included) are the major producers of waste. But also among them there are people who create and work in a respectable way to decrease and solve that problem. Here an example I would like to share.

So to me it’s better if I read the story as it wouldn’t try to give us any message about those kind of problems. Then, I can’t make sense of Hashimaki’s actions. And, again, the story has no satisfactory solution for the SDF: even if they are stupid people, you can’t understand why they stopped their fight.

On the contrary, Fee is quite an amazing and solid character. (Btw, in a world like her’, I would try to assume her role). She doesn’t seems to be affected by the mystical wave that has penetrated their teammate’s way of live. She’s so real, so free and has such a self-determination, and an honourable and believable job. I really like this character. Only her chapters make a pretty good story, very well drawn, and so refreshing to read.
    Last edited by ukimix; March 29, 2013 at 03:10 PM.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I kinda agree the title is lacking something. As for the terrorist issue that was resolved rather awkwardly, the space war is a bit superficial. The theme comes a bit out of nowhere and is quickly resolved without that we understand full well the consequences.
    As for Hachi last message he is indeed a bit dull.
    On the good side, the theme of the space debris was original and I liked the mix of slice of life and science fiction which is something quite rare. There are some interesting themes introduced which may have needed a longer serie to be fully appreciated.

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    At first it felt weird because all the support staff/comany was missing in the original, which added some good filler in the animated version, also Hoshino is clearly the MC in here.
    I was watching the anime, but I got a bit dissapointed when I saw Tanabe is already in the first episode. I don't like her much, because I feel his character a bit plain an uninteresting. I was wondering if the director of the anime version gave her much more credit than Yukimura in his manga.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ErosVp's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Finshed late. Reading Planetes again was cool. I like how the author does the drama but Hachimaki's philosophic stupidity was a bit too much, the parts like Fee's uncle shined though....

What will be next?

What do you desire? Money? Glory? Power? Revenge? Or something that surpass all others?
    Whatever you desire.... That is here... Tower of God!

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErosVp View Post
    Finshed late. Reading Planetes again was cool. I like how the author does the drama but Hachimaki's philosophic stupidity was a bit too much, the parts like Fee's uncle shined though....

What will be next?
    We could begin a new reading next friday, if that is ok with everyone. I suppose it should be one of the most voted. Let's give these days to see if someone else want to comment or discuss Planetes. There havent' been much comments on it. I would like to ask how did you feel with what we are doing. Is there any suggestion about how could this be improved?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought I could have completed it yesterday but I was busy.I just finished vol 2.The 3 first chapters were good but it became better starting from the 4th chapter.Actually,I have a problem with Hachi's characterization.In the first chapters he seemed a little afraid of space and after he became just like his brother.I found also Tanabe a little annoying when they were attacked, seriously why did she kiss him in such a situation?(It was a kiss right?).

If I have time I will complete the 2 last volumes today.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_23.gif

New Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast