Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: Kinemon, Kaido and Wano

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Kinemon, Kaido and Wano

This is something which has been on my mind for a while and perhaps it is worth discussing. Oda is known to throw hints here and there in the story foreshadowing future events. In this particular he threw us a very obvious bone.
    http://www.mangapanda.com/one-piece/698/16
    http://www.mangapanda.com/one-piece/698/17

In here we see kinemon having a pretty extreme reaction to law's words about kaido and joker working together. The point of this thread is to discuss why exactly kinemon and mononosuke would be so shocked about this.

Another detail which should be relevant to this is the fact that kinemon, mononosuke and a couple other samurai had as a destination dressrosa.

Now, how are all of this connected? If 3 samurai, who by all intents and purposes would seem to be strong, mobilized to dressrosa I am of the idea that they would be there on a mission. Kinemon seems loyal to wano so whatever they were doing would obviously be related to wano.

Now, if their reaction was like that it would seem they, and perhaps wano, has some sort of conflict or relation to kaido. Perhaps joker was selling stuff to kaido and wano at the same time? What are your thoughts?

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kinemon, Kaido and Wano

Now, first of all, i would like to quote Kaiten because it think it is a good theory
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I've posted it elsewhere, but Wano Kuni is meant as a reference to Tokugawa Japan (1603 - 1868). A closed country, led by an official called the Shogun, that has successfully repulsed incursion by the outside world (World Government in One Piece, colonizing European powers in real life). Wa is an ancient name for Japan, Chinese in origin. Wano Kuni means Country of Harmony (or peace), an old name for Japan. Japan's isolation ended in 1853 when a hostile, outside power forcibly opened Japan, imposing humiliating "unequal treaties" on the Shogun. A civil war followed, between supporters of the Shogun and Emperor. The War ended in victory for the nobles loyal to the Emperor, resulting in the Meiji Restoration. Japan quickly modernized, forcing the suspension of the unequal treaties, and emergence of Japan as a major power.

My hypothesis is that Oda will follow the real history. After the War, Wano Kuni was opened by force, under humiliating terms. Based on Momo and Kin's reaction, there seems to be a connection between Kaido and Wa. What if Kaido's Smile Army was the equivalent of Commodore Perry's Black Ships? Kaido forcibly opened Wa to the outside world, imposed a treaty, claiming Wa as his territory? Kin, and his friends, are part of the resistance, loyal to the Shogun, but opposed to the foreigners. In real life that role would have been filled by the Shinsengumi.
    Then this

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    On that note, I'd love to see Wano protected by some incredibly fierce weather in a way that parallels how one of the major reasons Japan was able to stay independent as long as it was was the stormy seas of the Korean Strait that sunk the ships of invading armies like China (Even if the samurai might've been stronger warriors on average, there was no way they'd win against the sheer force of china if they had been able to land most of their fleets) and crippled their forces (this is what the term kamikaze (divine wind) originally referred to before the suicide planes). In real life, a big reason that the events in Japan occurred was the "black ships" you'll often hear being referred to in anime when they talk about the topic. Basically, improvements in ship building spurred by industrialization allowed big fleets to invade the country much more readily than older ships. And given that Kaidou's crew seems to use a lot of higher tech weapons and possibly even cyborg stuff, it'd be interesting if he had figured out a way to breach said weather conditions. I could see this working because of all the parallels between Japan and Wano as well as the new world already being infamous for extreme weather conditions.
    Now i have to correct you on something. Kinemon and his companions did not have Dressrosa as destination, their destination was Zou, they only landed on Dressrosa because they met with disaster, whatever that may be (i think it is the weather i described above). I agree though that they were probably on a mission. The word "Zou" has several meanings, besides "statue, image or portrait" it can also mean "elephant". I would not be surprised if Zou is a South Asian themed country (India, Thai, Cambodia). Furthermore, i think it is possible that the Samurai, including Kinemon, were sent to Zou by the Shogun in order to make allies against Kaidou which is in turn the mission.

4. Like 8 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

I will keep with the theory that there is feuds fighting over power and they went to Zou to find allies and Kaidou is helping the opposite feudal lord.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Solid theory. They hate pirates that would be a good reason. We will learn a whole lot more once other samurai is found. Momo for apprentice.

New Reply