Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Secret behind Blackbeard's dual DFs?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Avid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Secret behind Blackbeard's dual DFs?

Quote Originally Posted by llaubacher View Post
    I don't wanna argue but yes, yes I do. They could not have known whether he has crew, crewmates or whatsoever. However, Luffy and Zoro, both have showed some amazing powers. The power of hearing voices. What if Blackbeard's body, back then, released some kind of that thing? I would not leave out kkck's theory of him being chimera or having a brother within his body from his very birth. It indeed is dark as he mentioned, but it would be really terrifying and also exiciting to see something of this kind in One Piece, don't you think? Just imagine it.. unborn brother inside of his body? It gives me the creeps, man.
    So yeah, I'd rather stick to them being able to x-ray Blackbeard's body than being able to tell that he has a crew on the island without being given a valid hint.
    You guys keep saying that, but they had heard of Blackbeard and his crew before that. On Drum Island, if you'll recall. They might have just connected the dots. Ace had told them he was hunting Blackbeard back in Alabasta and that he was the man who's crew attacked Drum Island.
    Last edited by Avid; March 25, 2013 at 08:59 PM.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BurnSchulz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

You guys can believe what you believe. The way the situation on Jaya for me was like this:

The way BB talked was hint enought for Luffy and Zoro to see that he is in fact a Member of a pitrate crew. They didnt know that he was BlackBeard - The one Ace talked about at this point. But his story about pirates Dreams - makes it clear that he is no ordinary guy but indeed a Member of a pirates crew.
    I absolutely dont believe Luffy and Zoro sensed some kind of Chimera in him, or dead sibling inside his body.
    No, they just knew, someone who talks like that, must be a pirate. And as a pirate on the Grand line he must have a crew. Thats what Luffy and zoro figured out after hearing his words.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Come on, the chapter basically introduced every crewmember BB had with him at java. The theory that BB is a quimera or has some sort of twin inside of him is far fetched enough already but going as far as saying that luffy and zoro felt that is not only ridiculous but completely ignores the point, them and context of those chapters. Luffy and zoro simply were able to tell BB was a pirate with a crew, nothing else.

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

I think yami yami no mi is the reason why Blackbeard can have more than one devil fruit. The whole two bodies thing make no sense, but his yami yami no mi seems to have interesting powers like sucking things up and rendering devil fruits useless.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Keeper of Jericho's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

What if Blackbeard is a siamese twin? Or, if not that, he was a chimera. And I don't mean in the mythological sense, but in the medical one. Perhaps his body is composed so that it tricks the DFs into thinking he is two people. We don't really know how a DF works or changes the user's body, aside from the power it gives. Does it affect the blood? Genetics? Tissue? Brain? We don't know.

Or, it's just the Yami Yami no Mi.

Click the image and visit my place! Don't be shy!

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper of Jericho View Post
    What if Blackbeard is a siamese twin? Or, if not that, he was a chimera. And I don't mean in the mythological sense, but in the medical one. Perhaps his body is composed so that it tricks the DFs into thinking he is two people. We don't really know how a DF works or changes the user's body, aside from the power it gives. Does it affect the blood? Genetics? Tissue? Brain? We don't know.

Or, it's just the Yami Yami no Mi.
    People commenting on BB´s body, at least Marco, is hint enough that it has nothing to do with the Yami Yami no Mi. My guess is that it has got to do with both. The fruit enabled him to "suck" the Gura Gura out of WB´s body while his special body enabled him to eat a second fruit.

9. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Muhbaer's Avatar
    Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I, too, believe that this cerberus theory is valid. Even if you look at his pirate flag, there is a formation of 3 skulls. strawhat pirates have one skull with strawhat, shanks has one skull with 3 scars, whitebeard one skull with beard, big mom skull with hair and lips, buggy skull with nose,
    so why 3 skulls on blackbeards flag.
    further I don't think his devil fruit gave BB the ability to take the gura gura no mi, because CC doesn't have the yami yami no mi and can create new devil fruits, and doflamingo got ace's fruit, but I don't think they digged the corpse out for retrieving the fruit -.-

so I really do think and hope, that BB is actually not 2, but 3 people.
    Last edited by Muhbaer; March 26, 2013 at 07:50 PM. Reason: typo
    have fun, good luck

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

CC did not need an ability to create devil fruit. He is a former colleague of Vegapunk, and learned from him how to make devil fruit in a lab. Vegapunk developed techniques for creating new fruit, implanting them, and removing them. CC applied that knowledge to creating SAD. Teach would need some other way of extracting devil fruit, unrelated to CC and Vegapunk.

The yami yami no mi is gravitation, a force that sucks everything in. It can allow Teach to nullify other abilities by touch. Actually being able to steal abilities is not that big a step from there. He had to do something to extract Whitebeard's devil fruit.

Cerberus seems far fetched to me. Viable, feasible, but not at all pleasing. Already having a cerberus zoan, allowing him to absorb a second ability, seems like to much of a deus ex machina to me. I am not that familiar with the theory, so please, correct me if I am wrong.
    Last edited by Kaiten; March 26, 2013 at 05:58 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Muhbaer's Avatar
    Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

imo BB took an apple under the curtain with whitebeard and it transformed into a devilfruit. then he ate it and left the curtain. Like the devilfruit that reappeared when slime was born.
    have fun, good luck

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Geez's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    I think BB was able to get two fruits because of his yami yami no mi basically. My idea is simple, he used his ability to attract things to suck out the ability out of WB. Perhaps he survived because his ability to negate DF abilities allowed him to cancel the process by which he would have exploded from having two abilities.
    The idea is appealing but questionable: why would the darkness fruit absorb the negative effect of a second fruit without suppressing the expression of the DF itself ?

Oda left us strange hints like the flag, weird quotes and the references to his special body structure... maybe it wasn't there just to mislead us.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

After reading most posts here, I think I've got a completely different outtake on not 'how' he can have 2 devil fruit abilities but 'why'.

I think it has to do with him having the initial "D." in his name. Marshall D. Teach.
    I've gotten this idea because of how in the latest chapters there's so much focus on the fact that Ace's Devil fruit, the Mera Mera fruit, should take the interest of Luffy.

I've always thought Luffy not to be the kind of person that deliberately wanted an easy power-up for himself or his crew. So why would DonFlamingo (or Oda-sensei) say he will be interested in another devil fruit (even if it's his brother's.) Could it be maybe that Oda-sensei will make Luffy eat Ace's devil fruit?

That's where my thoughts led me to the only other one with 2 devil fruit abilities and their one big similarity, their initial 'D.' Could it be that 'D' stands for Devil, a person able to handle more than 1 devil fruits? Fruits for a devil as you might say.

It's just a hypothesis. But possibly interesting?

P.S. This is my first post here, but I've been coming here to read some threads from time to time.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Luffy's interest in Ace's DF would not be for the quick powerup at all.... Luffy would want the fruit for the sentimental value, it was an intrinsic part of his beloved brother for years. Also, eating the fruit would kinda ruin one of the themes luffy has going on. Oda said that he wanted to create a main character who instead of a badass ability would have a silly ability of sorts. With that in mind I don't think oda will actually change that at all. Luffy will most likely want the fruit as a keepsake. It would be interesting if he ever finds someone to whom he would give the ability or perhaps someone who like luffy eats the fruit by accident.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

i think resone why BB have more then one DF is because of his first DF. well even if he have have other/different body i think he needed that DF . its can also explain why he now collecting/hunting DF users and not before he have his first DF. some will say he didnt wanted to come on reader but even that time he can have one DF and stay out of reader.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Avid View Post
    You guys keep saying that, but they had heard of Blackbeard and his crew before that. On Drum Island, if you'll recall. They might have just connected the dots. Ace had told them he was hunting Blackbeard back in Alabasta and that he was the man who's crew attacked Drum Island.
    No, Blackbeard was introduced in Jaya for the first time. Luffy didn't even know he was Blackbeard until they met in Impel Down.

I think Nami asking Luffy and Zoro if he has companions is a red herring to make the scene more ambigious. Him having a crew or not would have been rather irrelevant for them if you think about it . Quite frankly, I don't even see why they would respond by saying that he has a crew. If you interpret it as they saying he has a crew, a paraphrased scene would be something like this, which makes little sense:

Nami: He probably knows something about the Sky Island.
    Zoro & Luffy: Don't know. It's not a "he" though, he has companions.

It is far more logical that they corrected her when she assumed that he's one person, to me at least, and in line with the direction of the conversation.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Luffy's interest in Ace's DF would not be for the quick powerup at all.... Luffy would want the fruit for the sentimental value, it was an intrinsic part of his beloved brother for years. Also, eating the fruit would kinda ruin one of the themes luffy has going on. Oda said that he wanted to create a main character who instead of a badass ability would have a silly ability of sorts. With that in mind I don't think oda will actually change that at all. Luffy will most likely want the fruit as a keepsake. It would be interesting if he ever finds someone to whom he would give the ability or perhaps someone who like luffy eats the fruit by accident.
    I could actually see Luffy giving the mera mera no mi to someone who he thought was worthy of it, similar to how he gave Nami his hat to wear despite the attachment. It could be Luffy's way of saying how much he likes the person or accepts him. Would be a great symbolism, next to letting someone else wear his hat for a while.

But anyway, yami yami no mi is the only thing that makes sense as to why Blackbeard can have two devil fruits... unless he just absorbed the power instead of the devil fruit?

New Reply
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast