Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Secret behind Blackbeard's dual DFs?

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Secret behind Blackbeard's dual DFs?

I think I remember talking about this in some other thread, but it's also possible he's a member of a different race. With all the long legs, long arms, dwarves, giants, fishmen, flying people, minkmen and others, who's to say there aren't any undiscovered ones. Or it's some special family trait.

I guess you'd have to see him with most of his clothes off to get what's so atypical about his build.

Btw, Whitebeard never said Blackbeard wasn't a D, just that he wasn't the kind of man Roger/Raftel was waiting for.

Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!

(thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KuroKarasu View Post
    Well now it just gets absurd. Instead of the Yami Yami no Mi being the fruit that can extract fruits (which would fit perfectly) there is a THIRD fruit which has the power to absord fruits and BB even took the Yami Yami with his first fruit? That doesn't really make sense to me.
    I think it makes more sense than bb taking in the fruit through his yami no mi.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner xitalisk's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

One Piece Re: Secret behind Blackbeard's dual DFs?

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    It´s actually not that stupid to interpret it that way. We actually have 3 scenes in which there is a comment on BB´s body. First of all, we have the panel you are talking about, namely the panel after the incident in the bar against Bellamy. dacookester could be right of course that Luffy and Zoro were referring to a possible crew. Since BB had a grant speech about pirates and the new age, it is not that of a stretch to assume that he has companions. If this scene had been the only ambiguous one concerning BB, i would immediately agree that it was referring to the crew but now i have my doubts.
    Marco´s comment on BB´s body for example does not have anything to do with BB´s fruit, so Avid´s opinion is probably wrong.

"For normal humans that would be the case - but as you know Teach is a little different - the makeup of his body is... atypical!" (official Viz translation)

Then there is the third scene that is pretty much always overlooked, mostly due to the fan translations and subs. Stephen at Viz, who is, among others, responsible for the official translation of One Piece into English, had great problems with Ace´s statement when he confronts BB on Banaro Island. The fan translators have translated it referring to BB´s age:

"You´ve lived twice as long as i have, there´s no way you don´t understand the situation"

Considering that BB was 38 years old at that point while Ace was 20, it is not that big of a stretch to think it refers to BB´s seniority over Ace. The thing is, the actual statement in Japanese is really ambiguous. It is almost impossible to translate it 100% accurately but if i had to, it would be something like this:

"You have lived twice the amount of lives i lived".

This can still refer to BB´s age of course, though there would be no reason for ambiguity if that were the case.
    in the one piece green databook oda states The only way so far to figure out Blackbeard's mystery is to think about Ace's words regarding BB's age

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ladylola's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe BB absorbed his identical twin at an embryonic stage, so technically he can eat 2 devil fruits, because he counts for 2 people

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xitalisk View Post
    in the one piece green databook oda states The only way so far to figure out Blackbeard's mystery is to think about Ace's words regarding BB's age
    It could also easily mean that Blackbeard was twice the age of Ace. Ace was 18-20, right? Blackbeard could have been between 36-40.
    Vote for koen for favorite senpai so koen is active again!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    It could also easily mean that Blackbeard was twice the age of Ace. Ace was 18-20, right? Blackbeard could have been between 36-40.
    If you pick out stuff than take all the text^^

"
    This can still refer to BB´s age of course, though there would be no reason for ambiguity if that were the case.
    "

It was already said it can still be only refer to age difference. However way use this strange words/way to say it and if the other text is true

"in the one piece green databook oda states The only way so far to figure out Blackbeard's mystery is to think about Ace's words regarding BB's age "

either Oda lies (not much room for ambiguity in this statment) or there must be sth to find or build a theorie there. If not this really strange text it must be an other one in this not really long conversations that noone has noticed yet. I don t thing he talks somewere else about BB age ( don t be sure though/ maybe ID to Jimbey)
    Last edited by tartaros38; May 05, 2014 at 02:41 PM.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tartaros38 View Post

"
    "

It was already said it can still be only refer to age difference. However way use this strange words/way to say it and if the other text is true

"in the one piece green databook oda states The only way so far to figure out Blackbeard's mystery is to think about Ace's words regarding BB's age "

either Oda lies (not much room for ambiguity in this statment) or there must be sth to find or build a theorie there. If not this really strange text it must be an other one in this not really long conversations that noone has noticed yet. I don t thing he talks somewere else about BB age ( don t be sure though/ maybe ID to Jimbey)
    I Know its been doing my head in best idea ive come up with keep in mind its a wacky idea but ill try to explain my theory behind it.

The only way we know you can have multiple lives is the life life fruit what if in the 50 years brook was dead the fruit re grew sensing the owner hasent resurrected now blackbeard eats the life life fruit.

ok so far the likely hood of this is slim but hear me out,

then when he eats the darkness fruit he dies when he is resurrected his body still contained the darkness fruit.
    but without a soul in the body the darkness absorbs the life life fruit,
    so effectively the yami yami blackbeard gets a new fresh soul that is capable of absorbing the quake quake fruit.
    and as for his jolly roger the 3 skulls could symbolize the original life life blackbeard,
    the darkness blackbeard and the darkness/quake blackbeard.

the only theory Ive heard that makes scene to me is the wappol fission but if that is the case id say it
    happened long before the time blackbeard attacks drum kingdom this is the only way it would make seance because marco states he has a strange body structure so this plus in the flashback when Ace is promoted to commander of the second division blackbeard looks pretty much the same just younger it would also explain why wappol ran away scared from
    blackbeard if he had already overpowered him in the past

the main reason i dont like this theory is if wappol was knocked out or killed its safe to assume the fusion would ware off
    if knocking out sugar dispels the hobby hobby fruit i doubt wappol fusion would stay in effect after he looses conciseness

side note. the databook also states that sabo is dead?

WRONG it only says the crossed out s in aces tattoo was for his late brother

Ace thought Sabo was dead at the time it doesnt flat out say he is dead as we have seen recently Sabo is in fact alive so
    if Oda makes a flat out statement i think its safe to say its legit

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Azuma View Post
    I was reading through older chapters of One Piece, when I came across the chapter where Luffy and Zoro meet Blackbeard in Jaya and get attacked by Bellamy: http://www.mangareader.net/103-2332-...apter-225.html

Reading through that for the first time, one probably didn't pay much attention to the fact that Zoro and Luffy correct Nami by saying that it's not "he", but "they". Could this in fact be a hint pointing at Blackbeard, somehow, being more than one person? This perhaps sounds absurd, but we're talking about the realm of One Piece where anything and everything seems possible (hell, we were introduced to living toys just now). The duality of Blackbeard could thus explain how he's able to have multiple Devil Fruits. It's not the first time we've been told of Blackbeard's abnormal body structure either..

Thoughts?
    my original thoughts on this was that they were referring not to him or his crew but the other people around were all staring at them with a tense look on there faces http://www.mangareader.net/103-2332-...apter-225.html
    http://www.mangareader.net/103-2332-...apter-225.html
    not wanting to make another scene because they still needed to gather information they just quietly walk off
    Last edited by xitalisk; May 06, 2014 at 05:51 AM.

Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

I think him dying and be somehow resurrected makes sense, in regard to Ace's comment, but I doubt it has to do with a DF.It could be because BB's body is different like Marco said.What makes it different, I don't know, but he might have appeared to be dead, then he came back, like it happens sometimes in real life.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah im not really convinced my theory is even close i just was hopeing to get people thinking about it XD
    Last edited by xitalisk; May 06, 2014 at 07:00 AM.

Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol it sounds more convincing than my theory about him having absorbed his twin XD

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tartaros38 View Post

"
    "

Please, no databooks. People claimed databooks said Sabo was dead, yet we have him alive and people like hoeru so amusingly wrong. I'm not saying the theory could be wrong, but just that Ace could have meant Blackbeard is twice his age. It could go either way or both ways. Blackbeard could have lived more than one life, although it would be somewhat odd, or he could be two times Ace's age. Hell, he could have someone else's spirit in his body for all we know. It's too ambiguous to make out for now

Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe its because of the D? It could be will of Demon. So maybe one fruit goes to bb and the other goes to the demon inside of him or something.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Did the databook really say sabo was dead?

ANyways, if the key is in ace's words then the implication would be that BB somehow is two people or has "lives". Maybe he is a WG experiment.

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

According to hoeru, it did say that. I never use databooks for plot information, just for attack or character information as databooks don't reveal everything in the manga, just what the manga has told us.

Could be, but the World Government didn't show signs of caring about Blackbeard until the war.

Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Did the databook really say sabo was dead?

ANyways, if the key is in ace's words then the implication would be that BB somehow is two people or has "lives". Maybe he is a WG experiment.
    Speaking of lives....a cat has nine lives.

New Reply
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast