Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Suisei no Gargantia

4-Star Loli-Hunter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Suisei no Gargantia

Suisei no Gargantia

Alternative Title: Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
    Producers: Production I.G, Lantis
    Genre: Sci-Fi
    Format: TV Anime, 3 Episodes. OVA, 2 Episodes.

Opening: "Kono Sekai wa Bokura wo Matteita" by Minori Chihara
    Ending: "Sora to Kimi no Message" by ChouCho

Synopsis
    The story begins in the distant future in the far reaches of the galaxy. The Human Galactic Alliance has been constantly fighting for its survival against a grotesque race of beings called "Hidiaazu." During an intense battle, the young lieutenant Redo and his humanoid mobile weapon Chamber are swallowed up into a distortion of time and space. Waking from his artificially induced hibernation, Redo realizes that he has arrived on Earth, the planet on the lost frontier. On this planet that was completely flooded by the seas, people live in fleets of giant ships, salvaging relics from the seas' depths in order to survive. Redo arrives on one of the fleets called Gargantia. With no knowledge of the planet's history or culture, he is forced to live alongside Amy, a 15-year-old girl who serves as a messenger aboard the Gargantia fleet. To Redo, who has lived a life where he knows nothing but fighting, these days of peace continue to surprise him.

(Source: ANN)
    Last edited by Kaiten; October 11, 2013 at 12:05 PM.

2. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Ghan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suisei no Gargantia

I feel like the pacing in the first episode could have been better, but it wasn't too bad.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The pacing was fine, explaining how Ledo was stranded on Earth, introducing the cast, and the setting. The opening action sequence was spectacular. This is not going to be an instant gratification anime. It is not a show that can be judged based on one or two episodes. It will need a multi-episode commitment, enough time to allow the plot to develop. That is perfectly fine. Last fall Psycho-Pass was the same way, the story did not get fully underway until the second half. That is common enough with good anime.

Kya~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

The pacing was totally fine with me as well. The battle scene between alliance and Hidiaazu is epic and such a pleasant thing to watch. One thing I'm waiting for next week is what kind of adversities would Ledo face, since from what I've gleaned in the first episode the setting is quite "simple" for an Anime made by Urobutchi. Definitely a must watch during this season.

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I was fine with the pacing as well. I think it did well as an introduction episode. Wondering what will happen next, especially overcoming the language barrier. The design is awesome for me, the mecha looks good combined with Ledo, and the details for Earth is awesome so far too. The action scenes are also good. I hope the plot can support this great graphic. ^^;

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

The first episode was good but I didn't find it to be anything out of the ordinary. It does seem like the kind of story that will grow bigger and more complex further along the way, so far now I'm sticking with this series. The visuals are great and I really like the character design, however, I dislike the blush or whatever it is that's on the female characters' cheeks. It's pretty distracting imo

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Ghan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Was that one of the most one-sided fights in anime history? I guess he doesn't believe in prisoners or hostages. Hopefully they don't go the route where the people on ship hate him for causing a massacre

4-Star Loli-Hunter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

So I decided to give this show another try.

I enjoyed it way more than last time. I will continue to watch it for a while.

I like the art, the characters and the animation was splendid at the beginning.

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 AM ----------

Episode 2:

I'm starting to like that show.
    What interests me though is why can they live on earth if it was completely frozen? If there is no land whatsoever how could they build fleets? That doesn't make much sense. Did humans start to exist out of thin air? Did I miss something?

Ledo is frightening... Vaporizing every enemy without a second thought... I doubt he gains more trust thanks to that.

Well I'm hooked now. Can't wait for the next episode.
    Last edited by Skyguardian; April 14, 2013 at 10:56 AM.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

This shapes up to be quite interesting, it could be, alongside Shingeki, the highlight of this season.

The episode starts right where the last one ended, namely during the standoff between Led/Chamber and the local residents.
    We get to know Ridget, representative of the fleet, who immediately demands that Ledo drops his weapon and that the person inside Chamber, who we know does not exist in the first place, comes out of the weapon. Funny thing is, Ridget thinks that her side has the upper hand while both the audience and Led/Chamber know better. Another surprise was the A.I. Chamber´s behavior, if you can call it that. It´s actually Led, quite contrary to other series, who proposes a peaceful negotiation instead of Chamber who wishes to attack. You would expect a robot to be more cool-headed but i guess it is understandable considering Chamber is programmed to be a soldier´s battle support, and by extension, a tool of the Galactic Alliance.

Followed by this, we see both sides trying to assess the situation as accurately as possible. The residents clearly are skeptical about Led´s and Chamber´s presence but still decide against a forceful approach, fearing the revenge of possible allies of Led who also decides to cooperate with the residents but in his case because of information about the Earth, especially for 2 purposes: 1) to try to leave the Earth and 2) to assess the Earth as a habitable planet. It´s a rather peculiar situation for both sides since neither can know what to expect from the other. The fleet wants Chamber without having to fear repercussions while Led wants to leave Earth.

Amy´s little brother Bevel is introduced who seems to be bedridden for some reason, probably a sickness that can not be cured with the technology on Earth. As someone not "plagued" by common sense like the others, Bevel is the first to think that Led could come from outer space, especially since a legend exists that the majority of the population emigrated to outer space a long time ago. The introduction of Bevel gives Amy a bit of depth which is always welcomed.

We cut to one of the two highlights of this episode, the interaction between Led/Chamber and Amy. The latter, quite bravely i have to say, walks up to Led/Chamber to engage in a conversation and of course the traditional ritual of friendship, sharing some kind of fish. This scene was funny and suspenseful at the same time, the former because of Led´s reaction and Chamber´s comments and the latter because of the importance this interaction holds.
    Led explains his situation to Amy (always by translation of Chamber) while everyone else is eating their dinner, fascinated by the presence of Led/Chamber and maybe even by the story itself. Amy learns about Chamber, especially that it is an artificial form of intelligence while Led and with that, we as the audience, get a bit more background information on the Earth and its residents.
    The Earth was, just like the records of Led say, frozen until all the ice melted, creating a planet without land, thus the people live on fleets which consist of several, connected ships. We also get the name of this fleet, Gargantia.
    Furthermore, something like a "galaxy current" exists which supplies the residents of Earth with electricity and which could serve Led and Chamber as power source for their departure, if they should decide to leave.
    I wonder whether the story will reveal how the people actually survived on a planet without land or where they came from in the first place.

Following this, we get to the second highlight of the episode, Led/Chamber taking action.
    During a meeting of Gargantia´s leaders, in which they express their doubt about Led´s origins, Bellows´salvaging ship is attacked by pirates which seems to happen quite often. While everyone is trying to take the appropriate actions, Amy immediately asks Led for help since the latter mentioned his overwhelming strength before.
    Seeing this as an opportunity to gain favor, Led agrees and advances to exterminate the pirates in a rather impressive way which shocks pretty much everyone, including Amy.
    2 things should be noted, Led´s lack of hesitation to kill, which of course is normal for a soldier from his homeland but not for the locals and of course the way he beat the pirates.
    He did not only kill them, he pretty much erased their existence which seemed rather inhuman. His display of overwhelming strength and, at the same time, inhumanity should cause some problems between him and the residents.

Honestly, i was positively surprised by this episode, especially the pacing. Considering that this series is scheduled for only 1 cour, consisting of 12 episodes, you would expect a faster pacing but the crew took the time to show the characters, the interactions and the background information, something that really pleased me. Furthermore, despite its rather common concept, especially for a sci-fi series, it is rather creative which is mostly due to its unconventional characters, at least the 2 main characters Led and Amy, but of course also Chamber.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

So far so good, a very interesting show. I actually had liked the first episode very much. I'm very interested in the world Ledo comes from, that permission is needed to visit Avalan, and earn the right to reproduce. It seems like a society similar to ancient Sparta, with soldiers being trained from a young age. He did not seem thrilled by the prospect of leaving the front. I'm interested in seeing how he reacts to life during peacetime. Earth may have it's problems, but it seems mostly to be issues facing a peaceful place; crime (pirates), resources, local politics, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyguardian View Post
    I'm starting to like that show.
    What interests me though is why can they live on earth if it was completely frozen? If there is no land whatsoever how could they build fleets? That doesn't make much sense. Did humans start to exist out of thin air? Did I miss something?
    Even now humans live within the Arctic, where it is frozen most of the year. Neanderthals evolved to live in Europe during the last ice age. Modern humans began spreading across the world during the last ice age. Technically speaking, we actually live in an ice age, this is merely an interglacial period, with the ice sheets receding to the far north and south. Depending on CO2 levels, the next glaciation should be somewhere between 15,000 and 50,000 years (human activity makes it hard to estimate). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternary_glaciation

In the distant past, the entire earth has frozen over. Because of axial tilt, even then the Earth would not have been frozen uniformly. Parts could have thawed for short periods during the year, like the modern Arctic, while other regions could remain frozen year round, like the interior of Antarctica. It would be possible for humanity to survive another planetary freezing by clinging to area where the sea ice breaks apart during the summer. A large population would not be sustainable, even if modern technology were retained, but survival would be possible. In the world of Gargantia, humans had enough technology to flee the planet, and colonize space. Those left behind could conceivably have use what was left to build the predecessors of these fleets. The ocean would have all the necessary resources to sustain a fairly sizable population. Food, fuel, metals, energy, and resources could all be harvested from the ocean. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowball_earth

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Sky and Kaiten. I was wondering about that too while watching the series. My slow head is still trying to understand even the 'galaxy current', lol. Anyways I think the series is good so far, there is a balanced dose of 'happy-go-round-days' with the problems presented, be it from Amy's friends' side or from Ledo's. The visual complements the plot just fine that watching becomes easy for me. Like Sky, I also think Ledo will only bring fear to the fleet, but in that they will probably have better chance in negotiation knowing that no one wants to be hurt, haha.

I'm randomly wondering if one day they don't have to use Chamber to translate the words.

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Episode three was fantastic. I feel like I have a better handle on the show now. I loved Bellows speech to Ledo, that they only fight to defend what is theirs, and that their weapons were meant as deterrent first, with fighting only a last resort. The pirates seem more like modern criminals, rather than belligerents. It is very interesting to see Ledo try and adjust to a society at peace.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Mango-chan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

This show is the highlight of my Sundays. It's put a lot of work into it's scripts, characters, and animation, for sure. It's also nice that every episode picks up right where the last one ended, kinda reminds me of Lord of the Rings.

It's only a matter of time before someone gets Urobutchered though. :c

Auto-correct is a double edged sword.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mango-chan View Post
    This show is the highlight of my Sundays. It's put a lot of work into it's scripts, characters, and animation, for sure. It's also nice that every episode picks up right where the last one ended, kinda reminds me of Lord of the Rings.

It's only a matter of time before someone gets Urobutchered though. :c
    I'm actually looking forward to the Urobuchisms. His plot twists are usually fun, particularly Magica's. The script and characters so far have been comparable in quality to Fate/Zero, Psycho-Pass, and a maybe a little stronger than Magica at the same stage. I really like the character design. I see that the hype around Hanaharu was about more than hentai fans.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Gargantia is now among my favorite for the new Spring anime, hoho. Episode 3 was solid and awesome. It was funny but also cool to see how they negotiate, learning more about each other (although this is mainly done by Ledo). The fights too, of course. Ledo proved to be too strong even for the pirates, huh. But the fact that they also own Yunboro (what a funny name >.<) and quite great at that showed that Earth actually had some civilization too and was indeed the basic of the world where Ledo lived in before.

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast