Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Karneval

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Karneval

*agrees with everything yukihime said (especially about Yogi)*

They're really trolling with Gareki in this ep. For the shounen ai lovers, he's essentially chased by both Nai and Yogi (who even made a rather risqué double entendre in Japanese when he offered to "hug" Gareki in bed though he obviously didn't mean it that way), and opposite sex pairings-only people get to hold out for the possibility that Tsubame was lying through her teeth about the fat guy with the nice eyes.

Other pairings are starting to come together as well, but we're not getting trolled on those at least.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kannazuki View Post
    *agrees with everything yukihime said (especially about Yogi)*

They're really trolling with Gareki in this ep. For the shounen ai lovers, he's essentially chased by both Nai and Yogi (who even made a rather risqué double entendre in Japanese when he offered to "hug" Gareki in bed though he obviously didn't mean it that way), and opposite sex pairings-only people get to hold out for the possibility that Tsubame was lying through her teeth about the fat guy with the nice eyes.

Other pairings are starting to come together as well, but we're not getting trolled on those at least.
    This show seems to love teasing same-sex pairings more than opposite-sex pairings. Heck, other than Elska liking Karoku, we don't have any possible guy-girl pairing since the other girls do not seem to think about romance.
    Spoiler show

The moment I saw Nai, Gareki, and Yogi on the same bed, I knew something's going to happen and it was proved by Yogi's "embrace". I wonder why this kind of stories likes to tease fans with this kind of scene where the character is actually saying it innocently (which means that the character possibly does not swing that way, only that he does not seem to understand what he is saying), yet the meaning can be perceived very differently.

---------- Post added May 04, 2013 at 12:16 AM ---------- Previous post was April 29, 2013 at 07:49 AM ----------

Nooo.... This part is just too sad.

Karneval rarely gets sad, but this part is just...

How cruel... The way things happen to the twins... Yotaka is not a bad person, he just did what he thought could save his family... Too many factors caused things to go wrong. There were too many sadness surrounding them. Tsubaki's death, their grandfather's sickness and Gareki's sudden departure. Gareki was just too reclusive back then. He kept pushing people away while actually he cared for them. It seemed as if the twins only had each other, and I think they could survive just because they still had each other.

Ah, I really hate last words. Those words, said by Yotaka to Tsubame is just so, so sad. "Fly away somewhere far away..." It's even sadder when we know the meaning of Tsubame's name...

But I guess it's Yotaka's death that will push Tsubame and Gareki to do something.

I am conflicted with Hirato's intervention. I did not think he should just intervene like that, but again, if he didn't intervene, Tsubame might died since Gareki might not make it.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Who is Hirato again?

And um... yeah the situation was really tragic for the twins. Yotaka saved Tsubame's life by taking her portion though. I mean maybe they wouldn't have died but they wouldn't have wanted to live as two semi-conscious murderers either. But it's not clear how affected Tsubame is. Anyway it seems the guy doing the experiments was a varuga, which means it's the same people who are after Nai. Nai and Tsubame are all Gareki has left. He's tied more closely to both of them now.

btw I recall disagreeing with two translation choices in the sub I watched, but I only remember one: Nai called Tsubame "kirei" and in that context I think it would have been best for them to subtitle that as "pure" rather than "pretty." I mean look at what the whole ep was about. They weren't talking about her being attractive there, lol.

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Who is Hirato again?
    You don't remember Hirato? The captain of the second ship? Yogi's boss and torturer?

Anyway, this eps wraps Tsubame arc. Nothing especially special for me since I've known the story, but... JIIIIKIII!!! Darn it, he's so hot when he puts on his sadistic smile! I can't wait to see him in action.
    Hirato-san is so awesome here, it does not help that he's voiced by the awesome voice of OnoD. When he gets near to the Varuga, and the Varuga becomes afraid... Ha! The Varuga acknowledges Hirato as the "superior beast". I suppose Hirato-san does have that aura about him, like he can shred you to pieces painfully with just a look.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Whoops, haven't been in this thread in a while, lol. I forgot who Hirato was at the time, but I remembered soon after that post. xD

Tsubame is awesome, volunteering as a research specimen like that. I was really ridiculously happy to hear her offer herself up like a sacrifice. She's so strong saying that, it's nearly the polar opposite of her being just another damsel in distress. BUT she better darn well thank Gareki as soon as possible. I'm not going to forgive her if she doesn't apologize for what she said to him, now that she knows he was supporting her grandfather. What if now he feels like he did it all for nothing, because apparently she (and maybe also her brother) got the impression her grandfather "didn't need her" anyway? Fix it now, Tsubame! D:

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I think you'll be happy with how Tsubame will turn out later on... Oh yes, we'll see her again.

Anyway, to the latest eps: HILARIOUS!
    I suppose with Gareki's depression, everyone really tries to cheer him up. (Gareki in a suit is really an eyecandy, he looks like a younger Hirato, don't you think? ) I can't say if Yogi is doing it right or wrong, but it's hilarious to see Gareki in Nyanperona's suit trying to play with children. I wonder how those children don't sense the dark aura of that Nyanperona.

And Jiki... *nosebleed* He just have to say the "right thing" and wear the right costume! I really can't handle him... *more nosebleed*
    I get the vibe that he has a crush on Tsukumo though? And him being bullied by Iva... I mean, Jou-sama...

The scene when they try to save Tsukumo is the most hilarious scene... I laughed hard when Gareki keep saying about saving the little sister with flat tones. And Nai chanting "little sister" like robot.

I don't know what to say about Akari-sensei. He's no doubt a genius, but he can be such a dimwit sometimes when it comes to women (poor nurses, I understand their feelings) and animal (I actually also wonder why the animal is attached to him, but the way he analyzes the matter is just ).

Those three guys (Akari, Tsukitachi, and Hirato) are quite funny too. All of them have very different personalities, yet they can sit down and drink together. It's a bit weird to see Tsukitachi and Hirato without their hats, though.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post
    And Jiki... *nosebleed* He just have to say the "right thing" and wear the right costume! I really can't handle him... *more nosebleed*
    I get the vibe that he has a crush on Tsukumo though? And him being bullied by Iva... I mean, Jou-sama...
    Looks a *lot* like he has a crush on Tsukumo to me. I don't think she's noticed though. I strongly suspect they're going for a yuri vibe with Tsukumo and Iva actually. Which, if so, means poor Jiki gets the shaft. But I really love how protective Iva is over her.

Quote Quote:
    I don't know what to say about Akari-sensei. He's no doubt a genius, but he can be such a dimwit sometimes when it comes to women (poor nurses, I understand their feelings) and animal (I actually also wonder why the animal is attached to him, but the way he analyzes the matter is just ).
    I like that he has his weak points and isn't just this god-like character. I've started to like him more because of that. Perfect, "god"-type characters (especially male), and typical tsunderes (especially female) are getting really old for me in manga and anime in general. I don't mind if those roles are freshened up a bit though, like they did with the doctor being clueless around women (even if it's because he's not interested in women, lol).

Quote Quote:
    Those three guys (Akari, Tsukitachi, and Hirato) are quite funny too. All of them have very different personalities, yet they can sit down and drink together. It's a bit weird to see Tsukitachi and Hirato without their hats, though.
    Is Tsukitachi the other ship's captain?
    Last edited by kannazuki; May 20, 2013 at 10:32 PM.

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks a *lot* like he has a crush on Tsukumo to me. I don't think she's noticed though. I strongly suspect they're going for a yuri vibe with Tsukumo and Iva actually. Which, if so, means poor Jiki gets the shaft. But I really love how protective Iva is over her.
    Many people also think like that (about Jiki having a crush on Tsukumo, I mean). I do not know about that vibe though.. This series seriously lacks romance. Even if there's any hint, it is more to yaoi.

I like that he has his weak points and isn't just this god-like character. I've started to like him more because of that. Perfect, "god"-type characters (especially male), and typical tsunderes (especially female) are getting really old for me in manga and anime in general. I don't mind if those roles are freshened up a bit though, like they did with the doctor being clueless around women (even if it's because he's not interested in women, lol).
    Yeah, Akari-sensei is still a human being despite his inhuman treatment of others. I believe many women despair over the fact that a handsome guy like him is not interested in women.

Is Tsukitachi the other ship's captain?
    Yep. The first ship's captain.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Regarding Iva and Tsukumo, it's just a hunch but I've been getting that vibe from the very start. Iva hardly seems to stop thinking about Tsukumo from the first time we've seen her, and Tsukumo has some interesting reactions when we first see them together. Obviously the shounen ai component is much bigger and more noticeable but I don't see why they can't also go for some shoujo ai with two of the girls. More power to them if they're doing so, even though I'm more interested in Gareki/Nai than anything else, myself.

I like relationships between equals over and above anything else (including gender), and hence my dislike for gods all the girls fawn over and pointlessly tsundere girls who crush the boy's spirit until the boy finally wins out and crushes her back (i.e. it feels almost more like "revenge" than romance in some cases).

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

YUKKIN!!! KAWAII!!! I want a fluffly plushie like that!

Hirato... why do you still remind me of Sebastian.. (I blame your seiyuu and your 'polite' behavior)
    And I wonder why does he touch Akari's tie like that?? It suggests.. something.

Oh, finally Yogi v2 (that's what I call silver-haired Yogi) appears!! The bad guys have really done the wrong thing to remove his band-aid. Haha!
    I seriously laughed when he starts laughing though coz his laugh sounds a lot like Yagami Light's (well, they share the same seiyuu)..
    Though I dislike Mamoru's crazy voice even more than his childish one.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Though he was laughing, his eyes were streaming tears. Not sure if that's to make him look more "crazy" or because the inner Yogi is crying and it's showing on the outside. Either way I welcome this development as he was kind of annoying me at times. He had already gotten a little more likeable for me lately however this ep where he was angsting over Gareki possibly not liking him at all, I was getting annoyed again, lol.

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Jiki, jiki, jiki!!!
    I'm excited that he's going to stay with Second Ship, which means more screentime for him!!

Somehow in this eps, everything goes by so fast. The matter is resolved in a few minutes. I suppose they just want to show Gareki's struggle, highlighted by Jiki. Yep, the very reason Jiki will have more screentime is pertaining to Gareki.
    Oh, and we can see blushing Gareki again.. Haha, looks so adorkable.

Yogi is back to normal. He really thinks the First Ship people are sadists (though it's true) to the point of tearing up at the thought of Nai and Gareki being bullied.
    Kiichi's bullying fail though, thanks to Nai, but Jiki's words really shot through Gareki's heart.
    That moment when Yogi is making those faces at Gareki for calling his name, I just... cracked to laugh though I didn't mean to. Geez, what a baka. To be so happy for a simple matter like that. Well, that's Yogi for you.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

@yukihime: What did Jiki say that got to Gareki again? I only just watched the ep and I already forgot. D:

I was nervous about Jiki separating Nai and Gareki btw. Feels like he has some ulterior motive with them? But it could still be nothing. Now he's acting all cool like the ship captains though. Quite a turnaround from the ep where he was subdued so easily, and fawning over Tsukumo...

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Something about Gareki being a sacrificial pawn and that he should just return to where he belongs.

Haha, when he's getting serious, he's a force to be reckoned with. That whip of his is just.. wow. It's rather telling of his sadistic nature.
    Back then, he got subdued easily because they were in front of an audience after all.

Jiki does not really have any ulterior motive though. I think. He's just curious, I guess, about Gareki and Nai. I mean, it is unusual indeed for the Circus to pick up and take care of these two boys. Jiki's just pretty straightforward in doing things. If there's anyone I suspect of having ulterior motive, it's Hirato.

---------- Post added June 23, 2013 at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was June 16, 2013 at 12:28 AM ----------

Whoa, one eps left.
    I'm curious about the ending though...
    I have a feeling it's going to be open since I know what's going to happen after this..

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Would be nice if they did a second season. Not sure if one was already planned...

I'll have to check this ep again though because I've heard a couple of people saying they saw two Karokus???? I must have missed the face of the person in the bed...

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast