Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aku no Hana

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Aku no Hana

Aku no Hana

Alternative Title: The Flowers of Evil
    Episodes: Unknown
    Aired: ?
    Producers: Starchild Records, Zexcs
    Genres: Drama, Romance, School, Psychological

Synopsis
    Kasuga Takao is a boy who loves reading books, particularly Baudelaire's Les Fleurs du Mal. A girl at his school, Saeki Nanako, is his muse and his Venus, and he admires her from a distance. One day, he forgets his copy of Les Fleurs du Mal in the classroom and runs back alone to pick it up. In the classroom, he finds not only his book, but Saeki's gym uniform. On a mad impulse, he steals it.

Now everyone knows "some pervert" stole Saeki's uniform, and Kasuga is dying with shame and guilt. Furthermore, the weird, creepy, and friendless girl of the class, Nakamura, saw him take the uniform. Instead of revealing it was him, she recognizes his kindred deviant spirit and uses her knowledge to take control of his life. Will it be possible for Kasuga to get closer to Saeki, despite Nakamura's meddling and his dark secret? What exactly does Nakamura intend to do with him?

(Source: MangaHelpers)

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aku no Hana

That animation. I read at MAL that it is made from real-life motion? That's why it looks so... realistic? Strange at the same time too, though. I'll need to get used to this kind of style.

Plot wise, I think it is a great opening to the strange and probably-bad things which are going to happen. The setting is scary, the music helps, the calm environment helps, so it's a great combination. Looking forward for more.

Smiling Moe Hunter 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Band of the Hawks 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    That animation. I read at MAL that it is made from real-life motion? That's why it looks so... realistic? Strange at the same time too, though. I'll need to get used to this kind of style.

Plot wise, I think it is a great opening to the strange and probably-bad things which are going to happen. The setting is scary, the music helps, the calm environment helps, so it's a great combination. Looking forward for more.
    Oh, I thought I'm the only one who didn't get turned off by the animation. For me, I agree that the artwork is something that you need to get used to, but it's still watchable, probably because I'm a huge fan of the manga as well, so I'm kind of biased. I'm still crossing my fingers, hopefully this anime would become a decent adaptation, at least.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    Oh, I thought I'm the only one who didn't get turned off by the animation. For me, I agree that the artwork is something that you need to get used to, but it's still watchable, probably because I'm a huge fan of the manga as well, so I'm kind of biased. I'm still crossing my fingers, hopefully this anime would become a decent adaptation, at least.
    I want to say thumbs up for the director trying to deliver something different, honestly. Probably it is needed for greater impact in the future in relation to the plot (read this somewhere at MAL iirc), we'll see. Either way as you said it's still watchable. It's not bad, just not the usual anime style you watch. It's closer to humans nature; the way their body swings, the movement, and so on.

I'm wondering what kind of book Kasuga is reading. With same title as the anime, it looks rather creepy.

And talking about creepy, the ED is probably the creepiest ending I've heard.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    I don´t think it comes to "watchable or not". I think people were just shocked to see such a discrepancy between the manga and the anime, especially considering that the rotoscoping is an artistic choice but not an aesthetic one. I agree that they managed to capture the general atmosphere of the manga extremely well. The minimalistic yet haunting OST puts you into an uncomfortable mood while the repetitive angles and shots are displaying Kasuga´s emotional life quite accurately. Now to the animation, i think i can see what the animators and producers are trying but if i am honest, i could have gone without it. Nevertheless, i can recognize that much thought and consideration has gone into making this anime, at least the first episode, so i am gonna keep watching it for now.

Smiling Moe Hunter 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Band of the Hawks 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    I don´t think it comes to "watchable or not". I think people were just shocked to see such a discrepancy between the manga and the anime, especially considering that the rotoscoping is an artistic choice but not an aesthetic one. I agree that they managed to capture the general atmosphere of the manga extremely well. [..,]Now to the animation, i think i can see what the animators and producers are trying but if i am honest, i could have gone without it. Nevertheless, i can recognize that much thought and consideration has gone into making this anime, at least the first episode, so i am gonna keep watching it for now.
    I don't think that "discrepancy" is so devastatingly disappointing to be dropped so prematurely. Call me wrong, but I think there are so several Anime adaptation out there, which I believe, much worse than this one in "embracing" new technology in animation making process. Hell, I'd say that even though the picture sucks, but it's not laughable like what I.G. did with Psycho-Pass back then, even though that one was a technical error. I will refrain myself from being reproachful, at least until two or three episodes later.

Uchuujin 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought that this was done to prevent the characters from looking too.... young? If they would have stayed true to the original, it might look a lot more daring. Hard to describe so I hope you get what I mean.

Personally I'm among the people who really hate this change. I've checked the first episode and while the rest felt pretty true to the manga, the drastic change in appearance was just too much for me. I really dislike it, probably because I find this new style to be rather ugly too. I'm going to drop this for now because I doubt I can stand this for longer. I stopped reading after the first few chapters because I saw that there was an anime in the works but it looks like I have to stick with the manga and continue from where I stopped =/

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think they look that way because they were played by live actors. Rotoscoping is a process where animators trace over live actors and scenery, frame by frame. Live action film was projected onto photographic matte, and then redrawn by the animators. I don't think there would have been a way for the characters to look exactly like their manga counterparts. Aku no Hana used the same process Richard Linklater used in his (brilliant) moves "Waking Life" and "A Scanner Darkly".

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh I do get the whole Rotoscooping process, I meant the reason why they used that. Of course the whole too daring part is just my guess and they might have done it for artistic use only but either way, I don't like it. Doesn't feel like the original somehow so I'm not going to continue this until a lot of people say it's really amazing afterwards. I would consider giving it another chance then but for now I just can't get used to that style =/

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Episode 3 was so creepy.

I knew this series would be like that, but I feel like it's too scary for my heart, lol. *sigh* Not sure if I can keep up with it.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I love the art style: it's different, daring, and I don't think it was meant to be aesthetically pleasing in the first place. My first impression about the animation was that it seemed like something used in a short animated film. I admit I haven't read the manga to see how much it differs, but I think it's best to separate the two mediums if it will make the anime easier to watch.

I loved how natural the dialogue and interactions seemed (save for the scenes whenever Nakamura is involved). It's just like how your average middle schoolers would talk in Japan.

Nakamura is shaping herself to be a great psychopath. I want to know her background to find out how she ended up this way. I think she has a twisted crush on Kasuga, but we'll see what she really wants out of him.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

For anyone who's interested, here's a lot of footage regarding the rotoscoping process (it shows the real life actors and other stuff): http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...re-rotoscoping

Sadly I just can't bring myself to enjoy this style so I won't watch beyond the first episode. Everyone who's watching this (and actually enjoys it) should definitely read the manga too, excellent work.

@phio lol that's only the beginning, it's going to get so so much more crazy and creepy

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

Why can't they just give us the original look like here (that's very close to the manga-nakamura)

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    Sadly I just can't bring myself to enjoy this style so I won't watch beyond the first episode. Everyone who's watching this (and actually enjoys it) should definitely read the manga too, excellent work.
    My browser froze midway through last week's episode so I read a chapter of the manga since I was too lazy to load the video again. Now I can definitely understand why people who read the manga are uncomfortable with the art style of the anime. I thought the manga's art style would be seinen-like in terms of how realistic the people look so I was definitely surprised.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    My browser froze midway through last week's episode so I read a chapter of the manga since I was too lazy to load the video again. Now I can definitely understand why people who read the manga are uncomfortable with the art style of the anime. I thought the manga's art style would be seinen-like in terms of how realistic the people look so I was definitely surprised.
    That's the reason, it's just too different from the manga and thus feels entirely different too. Some scenes look so comical in the anime while they're dead serious in the manga.

As someone who's only "touched" both the manga and the anime, which style do you think is better? And what do you think of the story in general, btw?

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    That's the reason, it's just too different from the manga and thus feels entirely different too. Some scenes look so comical in the anime while they're dead serious in the manga.
    Definitely. The concept of rotoscoping is cool, but I don't think Aku no Hana was the right manga for it. Perhaps something that was initially realistic to begin with such as Araki Hirohiko's art style could work better.

Since they're using real actors to begin with, they could have made this into a live action drama instead.

Quote Quote:
    As someone who's only "touched" both the manga and the anime, which style do you think is better? And what do you think of the story in general, btw?
    They're both so different that I see them as two completely different series. Perhaps it's because the anime is more realistic that little things such as facial expressions seem creepier. Of course, if I find the manga just as creepy if not even creepier, then the manga's art style is the better one in conveying the story.

I quite enjoy the story even though it's left me with a lot of questions. It's freaky considering how the characters are only in middle school -13/14 years old to be precise- and yet someone like Nakamura is able to psychologically manipulate a fellow classmate so easily. (It's also amazing how Kasuga can read a book that complicated for his age.) Right now I'm hoping to see more of Nakamura's background: she has only shown her true colours to Kasuga so far, and I wonder how she was brought up. It was a coincidence that she caught Kasuga stealing the gym clothes, but if she didn't witness the event, would she ever interact with someone as much as she does with him now?

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast