Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply

Thread: CatzCradle attempts Editing Practice #001!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner CatzCradle's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

CatzCradle attempts Editing Practice #001!

Please feel free to give any critiques or opinions!

Spoiler show

Thank you!
    Last edited by CatzCradle; March 25, 2013 at 11:13 PM.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: CatzCradle attempts Editing Practice #001!

Hi, CatzCradle!

It looks pretty great for starter. Some things I can say: looks like you haven't rotated the page properly; you can see that the page is not really straight yet. And for the top panel, you left the white space above but not bordering the top line. Either put a line or remove the top white part to make it look tidier.

Good luck with future attempts! \o/

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted hatsuharupeace's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

What size was the original RAW? Because the clean looks very very blurry, which makes the text look very sharp. What you might want to do is give it a little bit of a smart sharpen to help just give a bit more detail to the clean, as the whole image looks very messy as you kinda strain your eyes to make it seem more in focus.

Then again, with some of the older series and their RAWs, they can be at this kind of quality, so try your best and see if you can get your hands on some better ones, the better the original RAW, the better the overall clean. Do you mind uploading the original RAW as well? Allows us to compare what you've done and give you a better critiques as well.

Keep experimenting, and definitely get your hands on some larger scale RAWs as well, keep it up!

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Hi, CatzCradle!

It looks pretty great for starter. Some things I can say: looks like you haven't rotated the page properly; you can see that the page is not really straight yet. And for the top panel, you left the white space above but not bordering the top line. Either put a line or remove the top white part to make it look tidier.

Good luck with future attempts! \o/
    I tried rotating using the 1st black horizontal line, and it told me it was already straight. I guess it was wrong orz
    And I totally missed the black line at top, thanks for pointing it out!

Quote Originally Posted by hatsuharupeace View Post
    What size was the original RAW? Because the clean looks very very blurry, which makes the text look very sharp. What you might want to do is give it a little bit of a smart sharpen to help just give a bit more detail to the clean, as the whole image looks very messy as you kinda strain your eyes to make it seem more in focus.

Then again, with some of the older series and their RAWs, they can be at this kind of quality, so try your best and see if you can get your hands on some better ones, the better the original RAW, the better the overall clean. Do you mind uploading the original RAW as well? Allows us to compare what you've done and give you a better critiques as well.

Keep experimenting, and definitely get your hands on some larger scale RAWs as well, keep it up!
    Thanks for your reply! I used the one from here.
    I was told to resize the height to 1100 pixels. I thought it was a bit blurry too, but didn't really know how else to do it. @_@ What exactly is 'smart sharpen?'

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted hatsuharupeace's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahh right, I forgot to check through that thread, it's quite outdated, so I might have to do up one with newer RAWs and for topaz as well.

When you're resizing upwards, it stretches the original pixels, which is what happened to your page and why it looks so blurry as well. Smart sharpen should be one of the filters preset into Photoshop, assuming you're using it, which allows you to adjust the amount you sharpen the page rather than using the sharpen filter which sharpens it a certain degree without any form of customization.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh I see. Thanks for the tips!

Scanlator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Gradonil_Ral's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

I was too lazy to finish editing, but here's how this page could easily look like:
    Spoiler show

There is some detail loss, etc., but, at the very least, the grays look quite nicely.

And as to the page rotation issue - whichever line you'd choose to straighten, others will end up aslant. You could redo the panel lines, but that's just waste of time, IMO.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooh! Thanks! That looks so much better! Did you use smart sharpen or topaz filter?

Scanlator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Gradonil_Ral's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

I leveled the page, upscaled it to 3600px, used topaz denoise and topaz clean, slightly leveled again (after topaz you always need to slightly level), smart sharpened, downscaled to 1100px + added a pattern for grays, then slightly smart sharpend again, used topaz denoise and leveled. Or something like that.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh cool! I'll definitely try that the next time I'm working with smaller raws then! Thank you very much!~

New Reply