Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: All anyone wants to say about RAVE and Fairy Tail

Mangahelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ghostexiled's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

All anyone wants to say about RAVE and Fairy Tail

This is a thread for those of you that just can't help but constantly bring up how Mashima's previous work Rave Master relates or doesn't relate to his current work Fairy Tail.

This thread is completely for discussing any and all things Rave... so SPOILERS ahead for those that wish not to be spoiled.

As usual, DO NOT bash, flame, hate or bully any other members and please stay on topic. Respect each other and have fun!

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: All anyone wants to say about RAVE and Fairy Tail

i have noticed similarites in the character design and the flow of the plot so far, i am not that far into RAVE, i only started reading it when i found out that Mashima had previous work somehow i missed out on it totally when it was new

i look forward to reading more about rave, and also watching the anime as i heard it was very good

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

you heard incorrectly about the anime... it was pure crap IMO. If I remember correctly it did not follow the manga very well, nor did it last long.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

ok i only watched the first 6 or 7 episodes
    i will just read the manga then , i figured it must have followed closely

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member cleodux's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Its a bit different, and the anime also got cancelled at ep.50 i think. Cancelled when the good part almost begin lol. Its ok to watch it, but i recommend to read the manga from chapter 1 as well.

I think those who are still firmly believe in Fairy Tail some of them are RAVE fans too. So deep down we are still believe Mashima can delivers Fairy Tail the same like how we love RAVE. The Plot and story is superb. But also some people thinks that RAVE is still better, maybe because Fairy Tail too much fan service and the plot twist is getting out of control. But i am one of those who is still waiting that magic.

RAVE time travel arc is so awesome, and i can not wait for Fairy Tail time travel to deliver.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member SerpentTailedAngel's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Cancelled shortly after revealing the main villain.

I thought the anime was pretty faithful to the manga... aside from the part where they skipped the whole first volume and had to throw in a filler for episode 2 and way too many flashbacks to explain what the heck was going on. My main issues with it would be that the animation could be... impressively unanimated, and the dub was groan inducing. Really, the lowest pointed from the GMG arc that people have been complaining about in Fairy Tail would probably match the high points of Rave's anime.

That said, I liked Rave a lot more. The only reason I care more about FT now is that FT is the ongoing one. Haru was a nicer protagonist than Natsu, ELIE was a cooler lead girl than Lucy, Musica... eh, he ties with Gray, Comparing Sieg to Jellal is a laughable idea, Comparing Lucia to Zeref is even more hilarious, and at the moment I'd still place Lucia above Acnologia. Lucia was an awesome villain. The only issue was that his character development came late, and Mashima had to cut a whole chapter of it at the end thanks to time constraints. Erza's probably the only character I'd place about a Rave counterpart. The only person I can think to match her with is Julia, who didn't win as many broken battles, but didn't have the same emotional depth. That said, I will be shocked if Natsu meeting Igneel has the same impact that Haru reuniting with his dad did.
    Last edited by SerpentTailedAngel; March 27, 2013 at 02:13 AM. Reason: typo

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member -Ken-'s Avatar
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Rave? It's great manga. One of the better I've read. It's my favorite shounen manga that have already end along with Black Cat. I suggest anyone that like Shounen give Black Cat a go. It's pure awesomeness.

Anyways, on the topic. There will be spoilers on Rave. So don't read if you don't want to be spoil.

Rave does have a weakness compare to Fairy Tail. It's characters. Rave's character are way less interesting in term of personality (Not their power, their power is awesome to read). The only time that I feel "Man, this character is epic" when I read Rave is when Sieg Heart s reveal to be the skeleton. I never feel a character is more bad*** and more touching than that moment.

In plot? I think Rave had Fairy Tail beat on the ground. I like Rave a lot more. I got tears in my eye a little when Sieg is reveal to be the skeleton and when Haru is shown to be alive in the end. Never had that kind of moment with Fairy Tail before.
    Most of the thing I post is probably assumption if it's not a fact that I support using some evidence from the manga.

If you knows you're on my ignore list and you quote my post, there's high chance I would ignore you. Or answer you and not look at your response.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Really? I thought Haru and ELIE were much better developed and more realistic than Natsu and Lucy. (Although I guess that's not really the same as being interesting, so maybe I'm talking to myself on this one?) I agree on the plot thing though. Fairy Tail is kind of nice in how you can't guess what the next adventure will be, but having a clear story arc like what you saw in Rave is a preference of mine. It was all more connected. I'll be shocked if Mashima can tug my heartstrings with Natsu/Igneel the way he did Haru/Gale, and the presence of a real overarching villain did wonders for making it seem like there was a valid threat.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member -Ken-'s Avatar
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Plot wise, I agree. Having Lucia really help with the plot. I mean, Zeref pretty much plays that role in Fairy Tail, but with the way that things are jumble up, it's not quite the same.

I feel sad about 35 volume restraint, though. I read that in the back of the volume of Rave. He originally plan for the Lightning harpy girl to be defeat as well as Musica having his chapter in the final battle. It was all cut because he wants Rave to ends in 35 volumes.

On characters, I just don't think that they are as memorable and interesting. Realistic =/= interesting for me. I finish reading Rave long ago and the only characters that is fresh on my mind right now is Sieg Heart. Everyone else just kinda fade away. Fairy Tail doesn't end yet, so I can't tell, but I suspect there are more characters that I will remember them by.

Doesn't mean Rave characters doesn't have their "awesome" moment. Musica creating the 10th commandment was awesome.
    Most of the thing I post is probably assumption if it's not a fact that I support using some evidence from the manga.

If you knows you're on my ignore list and you quote my post, there's high chance I would ignore you. Or answer you and not look at your response.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The part that I hated to see getting skipped because of the 35 chapter restriction was Lucia's fight. Mashima said he wanted to dedicate a two whole extra chapters to Lucia using his strongest blade and a whole chapter to him and Haru talking afterward, but miscounted the number of chapters he had left to work with.

All the characters are still pretty fresh in my mind, but then I've reread this series a ton of times. Glad to hear Sieg stuck with you though. I do adore Jellal, but Sieg has him beat any day of the week. I don't think anyone in Fairy Tail has really been able to replicate how flat out amazing Sieg was.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually was very happy how Mashima placed some RAVE into Fairy Tail by cameos, and was eager to read Rave as I've read Monster Hunter Orage, Fairy Tale (from Mashima-en), and Monster Soul. But in the way to criticize Fairy Tail, I feel like Rave is a pest to be honest as most only come up with "Rave is better than Fairy Tail because -HUGE SPOILER-. Period.".

I'm still happy to see that Mashima thanks Fairy Tail readers for also having read Rave, and how he thinks that Rave fans also do enjoy Fairy Tail.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ken- View Post
    Plot wise, I agree. Having Lucia really help with the plot.
    Well, it gave the plot a stereotypical Anti Haru. Maybe that's too plain to sum up and "judge" the character but seriously, seeing Lucia in general as Anti Haru I was actually quite disappointed by that as it limited his character development. But of course, it helped the plot as Mashima was able to write the plot as he "simply" had to go for the final conflict.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member okaneman's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I read FT because the author's the same as Rave's. And Rave was more darker, while FT is less. And nakama bullshit was lesser in Rave while in FT, almost every fights involved FT used that.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Kauia's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Fairy Tail's just probably at the point where things start getting good. I also love Rave but I have to agree that Haru and Elie were developed better. The impact Haru has on many characters and his development as a character are clear that fans can't help but like him. I could say the same of Elie. Although not all characters were developed, we can see many changes that they went through. Natsu and Lucy has yet to show those evidences. I hope it starts sometime in this arc. I'm excited to see how Fiary Tail would progress so I'm not making judgments about which is better. Noramlly, Fairy Tail should defeat Rave (as much as I love Rave). I'm hoping to see how Fairy Tail would develop their characters. Maybe the numbers make it hard.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member exacta's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ghostexiled View Post
    you heard incorrectly about the anime... it was pure crap IMO. If I remember correctly it did not follow the manga very well, nor did it last long.
    It followed the manga fine I think but the animation was awful and it was heavily censored. They couldn't have picked a worse time to end it though.

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Rave had way more moments of your heart strings being pulled on.

Musica and Reina's final stand together was heartbreaking. Let and Julia's story was a crazy emotion ride.

Shuda had to be my favorite... he got the main villain turns into ally treatment and it was hilarious when Haru finds out that he and his sister got it on.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast