Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma

View Poll Results: What do you rate Bleach 531

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Waste of time

2 9.09%
  • 2 Horrible

0 0%
  • 3 Poor

0 0%
  • 4 Fair

0 0%
  • 5 Average

0 0%
  • 6 Decent

0 0%
  • 7 Okay

3 13.64%
  • 8 Good

9 40.91%
  • 9 Great

5 22.73%
  • 10 Amazing

3 13.64%
New Reply

Thread: Bleach 531 The TW Review

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Tenacious Weezy's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Bleach 531 The TW Review

Scantalation provided by Manga Stream

Central Characters

Isshin Shiba

Masaki Kurosaki

Ryuken Ishida

Katagiri

Black Hollow

Los Tres Grandes

Shinigami Fodder(again)

Welcome back to The TW Bleach Review! I'd like to thank all those that gave input on improvements and hopefully that can continue. Last chapter was rated a 8.6.

The Review

Bleach chapter 531 picks up exactly where chapter 530 left off. As Isshin looks at his formidable opponent he notices something that didn't seem relevant at first. The hollow is black! Upon examining the mask closer not only does it resemble Ichigo's mask but the back portion reminds me of Ulquoirra who also had a “blackness” theme (2nd Ressurection and Cero). Another observation by Isshin reveals that his hole is filled. With what exactly is hard to tell, I don't want to assume it's something crazy (Hougkyo?) but it'll be interesting to see what exactly that means and if it's relevant. As Isshin and the Black Hollow begin their fight Aizen and his minions watch and note how it may not end well (for who?) but Aizen finds interest and opportunity (doesn't he always?) in the fight and wants to get closer.

Moving along in the chapter Masaki notices the disruption in the force. She immediately is able to recognize the hollow and "someone else" and runs off to help. Very interesting indeed that she is still working on her holy training but yet feels she can be of help in the battle. Ryuken however is already aware of the goings-on and stops her. He informs her (as well as the readers) of the difference between mixed-breed Quincy's and pure blood Quincy's. I mentioned before that it was interesting that Ryuken was all about the Quincy's being dominant (just not on the loveless marriages) but his comment here would imply he was more dedicated than I even thought. I'll get back to that.

Transitioning quickly back to Isshin we can see that the Hollow is quite a challenge staying constantly on Isshin and not allowing him to attack. Of course it's obvious Isshin hasn't even gotten serious and use shikai but I think the important observation here is that the Hollow is fast! Like Ichigo . Anyways the battle was so fierce that they actually end up in Karakura Town (Big Suprise) and a poor shinigami has entered the fray. Within one panel he meets his end. Even worse than the last two guys, geese Kubo. Something to note is that this Black hollow seems to attack any opponent in the nearby area. Weak or strong. Could be the nature of the beast or specific orders from Aizen but it's pretty efficient in that regard. Like Ichigo's Hollow.

The Quincy's notice the huge cero blast by their expressions. This gives quite a hint at how powerful the black hollow is and it further reinforces Masaki's drive to go help. Even after Ryuken attempts to stop her again she stands her ground. She even makes it known that he's not hers to order around. She is her own person with her own ideas. I enjoyed this part because well so far she's been Hitomi like. Goofy, always eating, and crying. This however shows her strong side or at least her resolve. Still I feel like Ryuken was really just trying to protect her as he knows she doesn't love him and is the last one in her family still alive. He even sort of proves that as he orders Katagiri to get his armor. Wait. Quincy's have armor?

Isshin is amazed about the Black Hollow using a cero. While it did seem normal to us it's true that only Menos and higher type hollows can use them. I originally believed that this hollow was a Vastrolord but it seems either Isshin doesn't know about them or it really is a hollow with unbelievable power. I'm definitely leaning towards the powerful hollow idea now. For example Ichigo's hollow isn't a Menos type and it obviously performs a cero, although it could be the same entity I just don't see a human holding down a VL soul-wise. Continuing on with the chapter, Isshin exchanges blows with hollow once again (who shows supreme speed and strength in one move) and even tries to converse with it. I thought we might get a response but to no avail . Well I guess it didn't matter to Isshin either as he decides to finally use his Shikai. While I guess fire makes sense in a way if I compare it to Kaien using water it does seems lame. I don't really understand it since Isshin has shown an ability to use Getsuga as well but changes could have happened and to be really honest I'm more interested in his Bankai abilities so whatevs. For the chapter conclusion Aizen and company pop out of no where in the same garb that Urahara donned in the Turn Back the Pendulum arc (hiding their spiritual presence). With Isshin surrounded and the Quincy's on their way the chapter ends.

My Thoughts

• ART
    Average for the most part. Hardly any backgrounds were ever shown which means KT wanted to focus on characters. I did notice pretty much every panel with the black hollow was done in decent to great detail but in contrast Isshin was terrible at times. Particularly after he went shikai and goes to attack the black hollow. It looked really off considering how serious he was.
    • PACING
    Well done. I had to break the chapter into 5 parts and I'm usually stretching for 4. I didn't appreciate the Shinigami fodder again. Telling us the fight was in Karakura town could have been done with a simple header and the Cero should have been Isshin's to deal with but that's probably just me.
    • OBSERVATIONS
    The black Hollow not only shares a mask with Ichigo but his black theme. It's interesting that Ichigo's Getsuga Tensho becomes black in his Bankai as well. Seems like while Ichigo was able to become a Shinigami (the second time) in appearance he was always using his hollow powers mask or not. The biggest hint is when he first entered SS and the mask kept appearing. Easy to forget but it becomes more relevant as we've all recently realized Ichigo was never a true Shinigami.
    • QUESTIONS
    Quincy's get more interesting every time we find something new. They have different abilities, armor, and a division in power separated by "pureness". The Vandenreich were even able to use hollows as Quincy. The question is how does a pure Qunicy differ in power to a mixed blood? We've seen Uryu but its arguable he's mixed (Katagiri looks more like mommy every chapter) but really how much stronger can Masaki and Ryuken be?
    • PREDICTIONS
    Well I've said before Flashbacks are tricky. Aizen interfering only means we'll get some explanations on what the hell is going on. I'm hoping for an Isshin Bankai but in my head the possible confrontation between Ryuken and Aizen is extremely appealing due to their bossness. The only for sure thing though is Quincy Armor!

That’s it for this week see ya next chapter!

2. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner silverquord's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bleach 531 The TW Review

Actually, I'm not sure if Ryuuken asked Katagiri to get his armor, or asked Katagiri to get her armor and help (he did say spars like this are usually handled by mixed blood) I kinda feel funny imagining Ryuuken in an armor (I don't think I've seen ANY armor in Bleach!!!!!)

But I think there's high probability that Uryuu may be mixed; it gives another perspective to Ryuuken's comment in Ch186(Tell your children the Truth) when he says he's given the title of the "Last Quincy, the one and only" ^_^

Thanks for the review!

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverquord View Post
    Actually, I'm not sure if Ryuuken asked Katagiri to get his armor, or asked Katagiri to get her armor and help (he did say spars like this are usually handled by mixed blood) I kinda feel funny imagining Ryuuken in an armor (I don't think I've seen ANY armor in Bleach!!!!!)
    Well I honestly don't care who dons the armor although like I said a Ryuken vs Aizen confrontation, even if it's just stares, intrigues me the most. Now for whether he heads out or not I'd say he's making the exception due to Masaki. I've only seen two translations and one says "Katagiri, I'm heading out" and the other "Katagiri, It's time to go out". I can see how it might seem like she's heading out but I think because he orders her to prepare the armor she's only attending in a helpers' role at most. Obviously Isshin has to meet up with Ryuken at some point in the story and this is the most opportune time when he's struggling.

On a side note thanks again and could you link me your review?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

"The black Hollow not only shares a mask with Ichigo but his black theme. It's interesting that Ichigo's Getsuga Tensho becomes black in his Bankai as well. Seems like while Ichigo was able to become a Shinigami (the second time) in appearance he was always using his hollow powers mask or not. The biggest hint is when he first entered SS and the mask kept appearing. Easy to forget but it becomes more relevant as we've all recently realized Ichigo was never a true Shinigami. "

The other important thing that stood out to me, was the hair. I had assumed when Ichigo went berzerk and transformed, his hair grew, but how can that be, when this "Black Hollow" has the same hair?

I am prepping my mind to get blown in the next few chapters...Don't let me down Kubo!

---------- Post added at 08:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 AM ----------

"Well I honestly don't care who dons the armor although like I said a Ryuken vs Aizen confrontation, even if it's just stares, intrigues me the most."

That would be a difficult sell though, considering the fact that nobody knew Aizen was the traitor in the SS arch. If Ryu had known it, and not shared the info, that would make him somewhat of a conspiritor no?

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@Mucky_Pup - I've been guessing that the Hollows hair is orange but I'm just waiting for a color spread to prove it! It's crazy how much this Black hollow has influenced and likely in a way been the cause of Ichigo being what/who he is. It's just a matter of how at this point.

I'm confused on your last question. Ryuken is a Quincy and has no affiliation with SS nor would he want to or care to tell them about any conspiracy's.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Correct, but from what we have seen in future chapters, Isshin and Ryukken were at the very least, cordial with each other. I recall them discussing each others parenting skills or something like that.

If he had known that Aizen was the one that not only stabbed Isshin in the back, but was also the mastermind behind the hollow that Masaki went out of her way to confront, he would have (In my opinion) atleast mentioned it to Isshin, therefor making for a less than suprising revolation when we found out at the end of the SS arch, that he was infact the evil doer.

In short, I dont think Ryukken actually gets to confront Aizen at this time in the past.

All opinion of course!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't JINX Ryuken vs Aizen!!!!

It's fairly obvious Isshin knew all about Aizen from when they meet again in the war. He even knows Urahara and Yourichi who were already banished and gone from SS before he become a Captain and they knew about Aizen as well. I think the better question is what happened to Isshin that got him either banished from SS or not able to return to tell the others about Aizen?

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mucky_Pup View Post
    "The black Hollow not only shares a mask with Ichigo but his black theme. It's interesting that Ichigo's Getsuga Tensho becomes black in his Bankai as well. Seems like while Ichigo was able to become a Shinigami (the second time) in appearance he was always using his hollow powers mask or not. The biggest hint is when he first entered SS and the mask kept appearing. Easy to forget but it becomes more relevant as we've all recently realized Ichigo was never a true Shinigami. "

The other important thing that stood out to me, was the hair. I had assumed when Ichigo went berzerk and transformed, his hair grew, but how can that be, when this "Black Hollow" has the same hair?

I am prepping my mind to get blown in the next few chapters...Don't let me down Kubo!

---------- Post added at 08:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 AM ----------

"Well I honestly don't care who dons the armor although like I said a Ryuken vs Aizen confrontation, even if it's just stares, intrigues me the most."

That would be a difficult sell though, considering the fact that nobody knew Aizen was the traitor in the SS arch. If Ryu had known it, and not shared the info, that would make him somewhat of a conspiritor no?
    What makes me go crazy is the thought that the Black Hollow may in fact be a Hollowficated Shinigami. And one thing that can be speculated, is that Masaki killed the Black Hollow, as implicated here:

Spoiler show

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member DarkBankai's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

why are you referring to quincy as vasto lords?

he was talking about the quincy pureblood and mixed bloods?

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

AHHHHH I CANNOT TYPE QUINCY--- Q ..U..I..N...C..Y --

ITS CHANGING IT TO VASTO LORD?? wtf THIS site is driving me CRAZY TODAY!!!

Be proud, that after receiving my blade you still retain the shape of a human.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member devstauk's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tenacious Weezy View Post
    Don't JINX Ryuken vs Aizen!!!!

It's fairly obvious Isshin knew all about Aizen from when they meet again in the war. He even knows Urahara and Yourichi who were already banished and gone from SS before he become a Captain and they knew about Aizen as well. I think the better question is what happened to Isshin that got him either banished from SS or not able to return to tell the others about Aizen?
    I always thought that Shinigami could not return to SS without their Zan's, due to not being able to open the Door thing. So unless there is another battle where Isshin has to use up the remainder of his powers, or go FGT which in my views is unlikely
    Spoiler show

New Reply