Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HOW does it take this long?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Aazholh's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: HOW does it take this long?

Quote Originally Posted by gphjr14 View Post
    Its sad but I'm slowly forgetting about Berserk. This series is what really got me into manga but it takes so long for a chapter to come out that I'm past the point of making up excuses for why its taking so long and just not caring anymore. I've watched the 2 new movies and look forward to the 3rd but honestly there's really no reason for it to take this long when the story has barely progressed in the past year or so. Its like Miura saw Prirates of the Caribbean and figured he'd spend the next few years dragging his feet going no where plot wise.
    Well, certain things were established in this side story. We know now for certain the Moonlight Kid shows up every full moon (which is roughly every month in Berserk time - 6 years in our time.) Astral creatures have a hidden name that could be used against them if someone learned it. The Ganishka Tree branches extend across the sky and can be used as an express route back Falconia. The Moonlight Kid is aging at a faster rate and seen from the astral world, his hair has a Griffith quality to it. There's more, but I don't feel like getting into it.
    "You see, I am a colossal pervert. No form of sexual depravity is too low for me. Animal, vegetable or mineral - I'll do anything to anything!" - Bishop of Bath and Wells (circa 1563)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsNM5GOQCko

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member winterwyrm's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killy-.- View Post
    Hes got enough money, ppl should have stoped buying old berserk volumes, that would make him start doing new ones.
    TBH new generations are growing up and start reading berserk, as good as berserk is Miura propably doesnt have to do anything for the rest of his life , cuz there is always someone whos gonna buy the chapters hes already done.
    To be fair some of his pages really are on par with professional artwork, and a lot better than some artwork, though I doubt money is any motivation, most mangaka are very poor, but at the top you can make a ton of money, to compare Oda, the creator of one piece makes $28 million per year and is married to one of the top ten ranked models/actresses in Japan They are as famous as actors, sports superstars and talk show hosts are else ware. I think Miura makes enough to where he probably COULD live off his savings at this point, but wont want to because his standard of living would have to go way down, however since he doesn't have a contract for his manga and can auction a chapter to the publishers whenever he wants to, he isn't terribly motivated to put one out every month because they will definitely buy it every time.

He might actually be trying to make it last as long as possible so that he doesn't have to worry about making a new series that would have a hard time getting established, i.e. the toriyama effect, with the creator of DBZ no less struggling hard to get reestablished in a new series since his big smash hit ended. He has made many one-shots and crossovers and is still coming out with more movies and such to try to keep the money flowing. Conversely if he artificially prolongs the story and drags it out, the quality will suffer, i.e. the Inuyasha effect, where the mangaka was afraid of what they would do after the series ended and dragged it out senselessly and the quality hugely suffered and it was asked to end, hurting his reputation.

It might just be better for him to just ride it out and prolong the series as much as possible, but just throw away a chapter that he doesn't like and make another, better one, and spend a ton of time on it. That's one possible option a mangaka can take.
    Last edited by winterwyrm; May 16, 2013 at 11:35 PM.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, the wait, along with the infrequent nature of releases has partially ruined it for me. I got in to the manga back in 2001, so it isn't new for me. I've read many a thread telling people to piss off for complaining about the delay, and frankly I think that hurts more than it helps. The defenders say the art is great, and that is very true. It's fantastic. However no one looks at manga or comics simply for the art. If the story sucks, people bail. Enough said. People need resolution to an open story, it's simply human nature. If you're going to start to tell a story, you have to deliver. If he wants to release a chapter every six months, great. At least the readers know what they're getting in to and can accept it. Having such an infrequent release where people can't count on following the story they've become invested in is kind of a fuck you to the reader.

While I enjoy Berserk, and think it is one of the best, if not the best mangas ever; I can't like lie and say I love it when I feel little to no involvement with an ongoing story that goes nowhere. The thing that sucks the most is it literally what started me on manga in the first place.

5. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member mote's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I gotta respect Miura for refusing to work at the sweatshop pace that most mangaka are forced into, but seriously why even bother "serializing" if you're barely releasing 100 pages a year. I wish he'd do like Shirow and just release trades. It would be the same amount of work and way less torturous on us.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member gphjr14's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aazholh View Post
    Well, certain things were established in this side story. We know now for certain the Moonlight Kid shows up every full moon (which is roughly every month in Berserk time - 6 years in our time.) Astral creatures have a hidden name that could be used against them if someone learned it. The Ganishka Tree branches extend across the sky and can be used as an express route back Falconia. The Moonlight Kid is aging at a faster rate and seen from the astral world, his hair has a Griffith quality to it. There's more, but I don't feel like getting into it.
    Sadly what you've posted took the artist an extremely long time to portray.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gphjr14 View Post
    Sadly what you've posted took the artist an extremely long time to portray.
    I can't believe it has already been over six months since the last release! That is a half a year of our lives waiting for an episode! If he continues to release a handful of episodes between ridiculous long breaks like this, Berserk will never be finished.
    "You see, I am a colossal pervert. No form of sexual depravity is too low for me. Animal, vegetable or mineral - I'll do anything to anything!" - Bishop of Bath and Wells (circa 1563)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member FetherMan's Avatar
    Country
    South Africa
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I don't know if it's confirmed. However, I do believe, Miura is working on the next three Berserk films and probably overseeing most of the story and art production, so that could be one of the main reasons why, there hasn't been a chapter in a while. I can't think of any other reason why, there would be a hiatus.

Unless, Miura is really, really, really sick with something, which I doubt. But, there will be three new animated features focused on the "Black Swordsman Arc" which I can't wait for.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Otaku400's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I mean the next Arc will be the Lost Childs (i dont hve any idea how is the name of the Arc in English i think lost Childs. ) and i dont think the next Arcs will ll be three Movies.
    Someday a User will appear to save the whole Internet.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity llamapie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

This is one of the few questions you will never have an answer to. Just understand that the reason it bugs you is because the manga is that good. If it was mediocre (like most shonen) - it would not survive on his release schedule.

The positive is I know I will be following Berserk for a long time, so I can look forward to that, where my other favorite mangas will fade and die.
    Give the best manga of all time some attention!

# of "Miura will die before Berserk is finished" comments(since Nov. 1st 2008): 92

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FetherMan View Post
    Unless, Miura is really, really, really sick with something, which I doubt.
    It's not that unlikely of a case. Keep in mind, throughout the years, Miura has been often portrayed as 1) Rarely getting out of his place 2) Spending most of his waking ours during nighttime 3) Generally not following a healthy lifestyle regime.

The fact he's such a mysterious figure obviously leads to lots of myths and legends about his persona and various reasons why he would work at such a slow pace.

All in all, I do believe his obsession for perfectionism (seriously, every panel is a masterpiece) coupled with an unhealthy lifestyle might indeed be the answer to the thread's question.

What I like to think though, is that Berserk is what Miura works on during his breaks and the rest (actually othe majority) of the year he's up with something else. It just happens he's been taking only a few breaks in the last bunch of years, hence why we only get 2 to 3 chapters before the months-long wait. The real question would so become, what does Miura do when he's NOT on break?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

All that really matters is that Casca and Gutts get one last actual conversation before the manga folds up shop. God Hand probably cannot die and at this point I am not sure I care whether Griffith lives or dies. I mean he is kind of Casca's son .... maybe that is too much to hope for.
    If you are in love with your half-sister, a mermaid or a mental patient its not going to end well.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

there are some rumor that he is really ill, but so far, it's just that - rumours.

I do not think someone who is involved with a manga of that magnitude für 30+ years would not finish it deliberately out of pure lazyness.
    Vice Versa, i think he might work that slow because he wants everything to be perfect.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Being ill would have been the only decent excuse and then if that is just a rumor well...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member FetherMan's Avatar
    Country
    South Africa
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand what some of you are saying. Now what about Hunter X Hunter...?. Hiatus like a mofo, for reals. Lol.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shafagh's Avatar
    Country
    Iran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aazholh View Post
    I can't believe it has already been over six months since the last release! That is a half a year of our lives waiting for an episode! If he continues to release a handful of episodes between ridiculous long breaks like this, Berserk will never be finished.
    hate to say it ( repeat it !! ) but :

Miura will die before finishing Berserk ...

human life is not predictable thing , maybe he die tomorrow in a train accident, Car accident , earthquake, heart attack and etc ....

and after that we will have most disappointed story readers in world ... ( well , maybe readers of A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE can join them ... I doubt Martin can finish his story before his death and he already is too old ... )
    Quote Quote:
    Well, I don't know if it's confirmed. However, I do believe, Miura is working on the next three Berserk films and probably overseeing most of the story and art production, so that could be one of the main reasons why, there hasn't been a chapter in a while. I can't think of any other reason why, there would be a hiatus.

Unless, Miura is really, really, really sick with something, which I doubt. But, there will be three new animated features focused on the "Black Swordsman Arc" which I can't wait for.
    you mean actual films , or 3d films or animes ... berserk is too good only limited to anime ...
    Last edited by shafagh; September 02, 2013 at 05:34 AM.
    خداحافظ

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast