Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Understanding Priscilla and the Reason to her Power

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Understanding Priscilla and the Reason to her Power

I have decided to compile a little essay about my research and theories regarding Priscilla and why she is so overpowered.

Throughout the series of the manga, Priscilla has been the antagonist and a vital main character.
    We classify her as the strongest existing character of the series, and arguably, the strongest ever to exist.
    She has defeated enemies countless times and destroyed innumerable AO-level monsters.
    Yet, what makes her so unique? What makes her so powerful?

I've been thinking about this for a very long time.
    Dae tells Rubel some stuff that he has understood. Although Dae's theories could potentially be all crap, it's the most compact and logical information we have so far. So I'll use his theorizations as a foundation for this argument.

Dae states that the hatred a Claymore has against Yoma is what determines her (or his) final power.
    To clarify, Dae means hatred against Yoma, not Yoma, not death, simply Yoma. And he means power as in overall rank or ability, not strength, speed, Yoki, or any individual statistic.

Dae states that Claymores have a childhood past in which a tragic incident occurs involving Yoma. He says that this type of story is quite common among the higher ranked warriors. It is this incident that makes some Claymores more powerful than others. Furthermore, whether the child fought or hid from the Yoma eventually determined whether they were offensive or defensive warriors, respectively.

Moreover, Dae reveals that some of these incidents have actually been staged, as an experiment.
    It is heavily suggested that Priscilla's childhood history was staged by the Organization as an experiment.
    But what I believe, is that this staged experiment was not what made Priscilla so powerful. It was her unique reaction and interpretation of the incident that differentiated her and made her so powerful in the end.

Now we learn of Priscilla's past through a flashback.
    What's so interesting, according to Dae, is that when Priscilla killed her father, she SOMEHOW knew that it was her true father. Priscilla identified it as her true biological father instead of her father mutated by a parasite. The way Dae states this, is it heavily suggested that this is the first and only time such a reaction has been experienced by the victim. Even Rubel was not aware of this.

Now Dae characterizes Priscilla's power. He states that a Claymore's hatred is comprised of two things: hatred against Yoma and hatred against themselves. Why? Because Yoma flesh and blood is inserted into them. Thus, Claymores obviously lose some sanity from this. However, with the case of Priscilla, it seemed like she believed that she was a Yoma, born a Yoma, when she killed her father. She did not recognize her parent to be some monstrous Yoma, but rather something that was him all along, her father. The fact that she thought she already had Yoma inside her before Yoma flesh and blood were implanted into her drove her near insanity. Unlike other Claymores who clearly knew that they were not Yoma and identified that their relatives in the incidents were mutated and altered by Yoma and not really their relatives anymore, Priscilla failed to distinguish it, perhaps due to the unique and staged nature of her incident. Thus, unlike other Claymores, Priscilla had already developed an intense, deep hatred against HERSELF way earlier.
    Yet if she knew it was her father, why did she kill him? And why did she do it so instinctively?

Priscilla has had an unparalleled hatred for Yoma for a long time. Even though she classified the Yoma as her true father, I believe her instinctive hatred for Yoma was so strong that when she identified the Yoma to BE her father, she immediately set about killing it. She didn't care whether or not it was her father. Instead, in an almost trance-like state, she grabs the sword and fearlessly slashes off the Yoma's head. And it is a few moments after, that then she realizes what she has done.

Let's go deeper on this hatred against Yoma.

Priscilla's obsessive hatred against Yoma is so strong that it is easily equal in intensity to that of Clare's obsession of killing Priscilla, and arguably even much more stronger.
    Her hatred against Yoma is seen when she is fighting Teresa.
    Although she states that Teresa killed humans, that is not the true purpose of her desire to slay Teresa. It is not the fact that Teresa betrayed the Organization that makes her want to kill Teresa so badly.
    It is the simply the fact that Teresa killed humans.
    Guess what else kills humans? Yoma kill humans.
    Is it possible that Priscilla's slight insanity altered her sense of perception, and rather than seeing Teresa as a Claymore at all, at the time, she simply perceived a Yoma killing humans?

But now we have to understand why Priscilla hates Yoma so much.
    To be honest, my research honestly found me no clear answer or any opaque evidence towards this question.
    As Irene stated, Priscilla hates Yoma the most.
    Perhaps it was a natural born instinct, perhaps it's a result of her experiences.
    What explains her instinctive to kill her father, once she realized it was a Yoma?
    As I stated before, she recognized the Yoma as her father, she somehow KNEW it.
    But she also knew it was a Yoma.
    So Priscilla knew that her father was a Yoma.
    She knew that a Yoma w- SWISH. Sword-swing. Dead.
    Since it is ultimately this experience that leads to her being so powerful (I'll explain how this works out), it is her motive and instinctive hatred against Yoma (and as implied, herself) that is the true reason why she is so powerful.
    But we don't know that reason, so I will try and work around it.

Priscilla's memories of her incident are extremely significant.
    Despite Yagi's drawing of them as flashbacks and short, brief panels that are usually half a page of content, these memories contain much, much, much more importance.
    In order to create a conjecture, I went back and looked at all of Priscilla's fights after she Awakened.
    The first one that was able to clearly show something was Priscilla's fight with Isley in the North.
    As the fight ensues, Isley is easily beating Priscilla.
    However, Priscilla SPONTANEOUSLY instantaneously regenerates the damage taken, extends her arms, and deals devastating damage to Isley that she was unable to do a few moments earlier.
    As Rigaldo was watcing, he states, "Isley is stronger and better in all aspects than this woman. But why am I so afraid of her?"
    Was Rigaldo able to sense something different in Priscilla?
    Something that could be sensed, some form of power that ACTUALLY IS or is RELATED to Yoki that was internally present in Priscilla?
    But how was Priscilla able to turn the tides of her battle with Isley, when her opponent was stronger and winning against her?
    How did she gain the advantage, and more importantly, why did this happen so INSTANTANEOUSLY, in a split second, rather than gradually?

Before Priscilla gains such power, she remembers a flashback of her childhood memories.
    Following these memories, Priscilla suddenly turns the tides of the battle and gains unnatural and extreme power that was previously not present in her.
    Now it is suggested that this power had to originate internally from somewhere inside Priscilla's body.
    As I stated earlier, Rigaldo was able to detect something inside Priscilla's body. It was something that could be sensed, felt, and measured.

As you notice, ALL of Priscilla's fights involve her suddenly gaining an advantage in a blink of an eye if and when she is not already winning.
    This is especially prominent when Priscilla's body is fighting Riful-doll.
    However, it is not the physical fighting against Riful-doll that invokes her sudden advantage.
    It is the internal fighting against the Destroyer within her mind that does more damage against her than the physical fighting against her body.
    In this incident, the memories are much more vivid while fighting Isley.
    Priscilla is able to remember her childhood incident, and then when she slices the head off of her father, the Yoma, it is this moment where she is able to easily override the Destroyer and gain full control of her body and both regenerate all of damage taken, escape, and destroy one of Riful-doll's arms all in a split second.
    She is able to squash the Destroyer's mental attack and expel it with ease after she has those memories.

Even before she Awakened, Priscilla seemed to show evidence for "using" these memories.
    While fighting Teresa, she remembered killing her father, and that's why "I killed him" (quoted from Priscilla).
    However, Dae stated that Priscilla was unable to remember her childhood memories.
    As I previously stated, the obsession of Teresa has been insanely important for Priscilla after she awakened.
    After she awakens, Priscilla does not experience a single thought about her childhood past at all.
    Instead, she constantly thinks about Teresa and develops a fierce obsession.
    She is both EXTREMELY IN FEAR of Teresa, yet she also wants to kill her so much, and finally, she is so frustrated and mentally annoyed by the returning thought about Teresa.
    So is it possible that Priscilla's mental insanity and her already clouded-up memories of her childhood past were warped/altered by her incident with Teresa?
    Could it be possible that her memories of her childhood incident were REPLACED by those of her incident with Teresa?
    As I recall, she was in fear of Teresa. As Irene described, Priscilla had never been in the presence of someone much more powerful than her. At that time, I believe Priscilla actually believed she was going to die and begged for someone to save her inside her mind.
    Thus, the incident inflicted extreme trauma and as a common result of awakening and the inherent loss of sanity, the trauma and pain simply resounded at a much greater intensity.

Priscilla's memories are "used" by her multiple times before and after she Awakens.
    When she does this, she becomes extremely powerful and always ends up defeating her enemy, one that was originally stronger and was winning against her.
    It is understood that after Awakening, Priscilla is unique in the way that she is able to "use" these memories as something else from her Yoki to suddenly become infinitely more powerful.
    However, Priscilla also recalls some memories while fighting Teresa before Awakening.
    This was when she had used a large amount of Yoki, and forced Teresa to use 10% to defeat her.
    As I quoted in the previous paragraph, Priscilla remembered a vague memory of her killing her father.
    I believe that when these memories occur for Priscilla, it is similar to an adrenaline rush for a human. Similar to how the human body calls for an increased amount of ATP, Priscilla's body is asking her simply for more power.
    If you took Biology, you know that adrenaline calls not for a gradually increased ATP production rate, but rather an instant, brief but exponential rise in the production rate.
    All of Priscilla's advantages occurred in a blink of an eye.
    And if you understand adrenaline or have remembered some history, there have been several extraordinary cases in human history where humans who have experienced an adrenaline rush have performed extreme feats that are otherwise impossible such as lifting up a car and pushing a truck. This is a close example to what these memories do for Priscilla.
    The memories cause so much trauma and anger to build up inside her, that it is literally bursting out of her.
    So much that it takes on a physical presence inside her.
    This type of presence is most likely not Yoki, but something unique in that it can be felt, detected, measured, and used as a form of extreme energy similar to the human compound of adrenaline.
    Perhaps this was what Rigaldo experienced and feared so much.

Well, it's understood that these memories grant Priscilla insane strength, speed, Yoki, and power that was previously not present in her Awakening form, but what about before she Awakened?
    As I stated before, recalling her memories is like adrenaline.
    Instead of calling for more energy, it actually forces it.
    You know where this is going.
    Energy for Claymores is in the form of Yoki.
    Whether or not she can control it, the memories that she experiences overtakes her, kills her sanity, and forces Priscilla, who is already on the verge of Awakening, to use even more Yoki energy, and thus Awaken.

Now it is known that Awakening does several positive but also negative things for a Claymore.
    First of all, it removes the hassle of watching one's Yoki and the internal fighting inside one's mind. There is also no limit to the Yoki; ABs have unlimited access to their Yoki reserves. Finally, ABs have their speed, strength, and all combat statistics boosted. But this is all at the cost of complete lost of sanity and intensified negative emotions.
    Priscilla has arguably, the largest Yoki reserves ever in the whole manga.
    However, when she awakens, it is not important that her Yoki restriction is removed.
    Sure, she can now use her Yoki without any hinderance, but that's not the reason why she's so powerful.
    Despite the fact that she has the largest Yoki reserves of any AB, it is not what makes her stronger than any opponent she has ever faced, stronger than any AO.
    Instead, what Awakening does for Priscilla is allow her to "use" her memories more efficiently, to recall her childhood much more vividly, but still experience it as incomplete and fragmented.

As a Claymore, Priscilla was unable to efficiently "utilize" her memories.

Even the fact that Priscilla's AB form becomes so powerful could potentially have rested on the fact that she was experiencing her memories while she was Awakening.
    Remember that the Awakened Being is the result of what the Claymore's power was at while Awakening. It is possible that without her memories, Priscilla's AB end result could have been simply an AO-powered one, not one that was way beyond an AO.
    However, when Priscilla experienced those memories, she possibly had the equivalent of somewhere along a high-tier No.1 like Teresa's warrior power when she awakened, thus ending up with something way beyond an AO.

Now this all seems perfect, doesn't it?
    Priscilla "uses" her memories, and then suddenly becomes the most OP thing in the whole series.
    However, there is one major thing that we overlooked.
    In which circumstances do these memories occur to Priscilla?

And we realize that the answer is when Priscilla experiences physical pain and damage.
    When she fought Isley, it was the physical damage she suffered that made her remember her memories.
    When she fought the Riful-doll, it was the physical component of her body that invoked these mental memories, even when she was not controlling her physical body.
    When she fought the Destroyer-modified Dauph, remember that she was actually being obliterated. And that's when she retrieves her lost memories and easily defeats the enemy in a single attack.

But why does a physical signal trigger Priscilla's mental reactions?

As stated before, it seems like it's like how a Claymore uses Yoki.
    As an Awakened Being, Priscilla already has unlimited access to Yoki reserves. Yet she is unique in the way that she is able to use "memories filled with intense sorrow, pain, and hatred" to suddenly reverse her battle and make her so much more powerful.
    In a sense, her "use" of memories serves as a last and final defense, one that makes her infinitely stronger.
    But how does this occur?
    As Dae stated, it was the FORCED ability to embody such intense resentment and hatred for ONESELF, the hatred that Priscilla felt for herself, the hatred for Yoma; the hatred that Priscilla felt for herself, whom she believed to actually BE a Yoma; it is this hatred that is being fused together with incredible force that creates such a powerful being with the power to regenerate.
    Yet this is beyond regeneration, it's almost like recreation.
    And that's where I bring my argument into Priscilla's ability to recreate and how her arm played an important role in Cassandra's transformation.
    But that's a different argument that I wrote, and this discussion should only be focused on Priscilla.
    So let's end with something to consider.

With the introduction of Chapter 137, Rubel seems to hint that Priscilla was a half-awakened. With Rubel's previous knowledge, it seems as if half-awakened are the pinnacle of Claymores, what the Organization was originally trying to achieve. As Miria stated, half-awakened status meant specific access to AB's traits while retaining the form of a Claymore.
    There was a theory which stated that when a Claymore Awakened, its power would be set at that point. It could no longer improve.
    This theory was supported by the fact that Isley was the oldest AB that existed as far as we had known. Yet he never got any more powerful, at least not substantially.
    By powerful, it is probably not in terms of strength or speed, but rather in terms of Yoki.
    Yoki is the overall distributing factor. Using Yoki assists all other statistics; it's the most important statistic for all Claymores, offensive and defensive.
    The reserve of Yoki is all an AB has when fighting. Thus, to the ABs, it's the defining characteristic of how strong one is.
    Yet half-awakened Claymores already have elevated stats and properties of the Awakened.
    And those stats and properties, unlike fully Awakened Beings, are not set and can be trained until the final Awakening.
    Is it possible that Priscilla was actually a half-awakened?
    I, myself, cannot think of how Priscilla could have almost awakened, but turned back.
    But this is a discussion and argument for all.

Thanks for reading, and please let me know your ideas.

2. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Understanding Priscilla and the Reason to her Power

Cool post! There's no way I could address it all...

I think you draw the associations between youki, hate, memories and power quite well. If the ‘ugly form’ of her hate is what transitions into the lava (power) flowing from the volcano of her body, then her memories are the access point for that transition. How you pointed out that her memories surface when under pressure is really interesting too.

But I do think that Daae distinguishes between quality of youki (power) and quantity when he says that Priss and Riful-doll are of similar power but vastly different in terms of means for manifesting that power. Priss has the ability of unlimited youki. So you would have to integrate this data into your theory (if you haven't already, and my understanding of your post is wrong)

I’ll put forward this argument: that Priss, even if she had the potential to be a half-awakened, never was. With the potential to be the strongest no.1 in history, and under circumstances which would perhaps have facilitated an extremely powerful awakening, she awoke and had her power fixed at a very high level (perhaps the highest, with Riful-doll). What puts her in another league is her ability of endless youki. This is what makes her truly frightening (to Rigardo) and unbeatable (to Daae). I think that what happens when she taps her hate to release youki as power is that a massive, overwhelming amount of it comes out (like a volcano exploding), but the lava itself is at a fixed rate (i.e. it could always melt iron, but never diamond). I think this because Clare said you don’t need strength to beat Prissy, but speed and technique, which indicates that either (a) youki as a determinant of power across the board for Priscilla is not so high as to be out of reach or (b) Priss’s strength is either too high to directly challenge or not so high for it to be something to be worried about.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I've always wanted a clarification about the Yoki statistic on the Organization's Claymore/AB rankings.
    When they rank Yoki, is it by how strong (quality) the Yoki is, or how much (quantity) Yoki the being has, or is it (likely) a mix of both?
    Either way, Priscilla's AB form has the only EX ranking among the ABs ranked by Organization.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

ooh, here is a new detail, and perhaps a small answer to some of her invsulnerability. it turnso ut she assimilated her claymore blade.... used it to apparrently slay the riful doll; i say apparrently, cause she came from a pair of severed legs to begin with, and only her head got chopped. either way it makes sense. the awakened bodies seem to assimilated materials, and the hysteria character partially assimilated that sword stuck in her throat.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The whole issue of that Claymore being assimilated is quite complexing- I still have no idea what it could mean for Priscilla now.

However, the release of Chapter 140 and the idea that Priscilla actually remembers stuff prior to her Awakening, and her ability to control it- this technically marks her as a step in the whole Soul Link thing far beyond Alicia/Beth and Miata/Clarice. Priscilla was what the Orgnaization was trying to achieve all along!
    Is it only now or what? That's what is so confusing. When she was reverting to her human form, she acted like she was in control the whole time and never insane, recalling all her memories as a Claymore.

And what's even more confusing is if she is no longer an AB now. She could either be an AB that has control or she could just have reversed her Awakening and become a complete human now- seeing as she can remember her memories fine. However, what could this result for her relationship with Clare?
    What will happen next. I want to time-skip nowwwww.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member eefrit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Priscilla is special in remembering anything prior to her awakening, we've seen Luciella remember that Rafeala was her sister and we've seen Isley form a "Claymore" of his own during his final fight with the AFs so it's nothing new nor is it related to Soul Link. The Organization wanted to control the awakening themselves and have it so they don't lose their heart and go around eating everyone's guts after they do so, that's why a second person is needed remember? Priscilla has already ate a crap ton of guts already. We know that AB can easily revert to their human forms anytime and she reverted to her human form because she probably realized that she feeding the Riful Doll more power and switched to her old form to prevent that. Priscilla actually stopped repressing her memories awhile ago so it's no surprise that she is acting the way she is now.

As for her sword? I'm beginning to think that she did more that store the sword into her body. I'm starting to think she broke it down and assimilated it into her person on an molecular level. How? I have no clue, but looking at the sword, it doesn't have the marking that designates her former rank as a Claymore. It's just the form of the Claymore sword. It also appears that Yagi made several attempts to block that area of the sword while Priscilla was fighting with it.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Anew Returner's Avatar
    Country
    Riverrun
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eefrit View Post
    I don't think Priscilla is special in remembering anything prior to her awakening, we've seen Luciella remember that Rafeala was her sister and we've seen Isley form a "Claymore" of his own during his final fight with the AFs so it's nothing new nor is it related to Soul Link. The Organization wanted to control the awakening themselves and have it so they don't lose their heart and go around eating everyone's guts after they do so, that's why a second person is needed remember? Priscilla has already ate a crap ton of guts already. We know that AB can easily revert to their human forms anytime and she reverted to her human form because she probably realized that she feeding the Riful Doll more power and switched to her old form to prevent that. Priscilla actually stopped repressing her memories awhile ago so it's no surprise that she is acting the way she is now.

As for her sword? I'm beginning to think that she did more that store the sword into her body. I'm starting to think she broke it down and assimilated it into her person on an molecular level. How? I have no clue, but looking at the sword, it doesn't have the marking that designates her former rank as a Claymore. It's just the form of the Claymore sword. It also appears that Yagi made several attempts to block that area of the sword while Priscilla was fighting with it.
    that whole sword assimilation concept is mind boggling to me . breaking it down is no easy job hysteria did it partially and failed but reconstructing the sword to it's original form is on a whole new level like Damn :O
    Last edited by Anew Returner; June 30, 2013 at 03:13 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Understanding Priscilla and the Reason to her Power

Quote Originally Posted by eefrit View Post

as for her sword, ill suggest this. the iron that created you yet is foreign to you. i take this quote as the claymore weapon is actually part of the hermaphrodite dragon kins body. maybe a bone. which could be broken done through dna. this would also explain why prisses claymore now has veins.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member number12michael's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kaidedshard View Post
    as for her sword, ill suggest this. the iron that created you yet is foreign to you. i take this quote as the claymore weapon is actually part of the hermaphrodite dragon kins body. maybe a bone. which could be broken done through dna. this would also explain why prisses claymore now has veins.
    if the dragon kin has bones that cannot break or dent(as miria said the sword has never broken and shows no signs of diminishing) then it would be near impossible to kill them as there bones would be indestructible.
    it was probably made by using a ore/material that is found on the mainland, and probably controlled by the Organizations side.(I.E. their is one big mine of this stuff and its on the Orgs side) but there is so much we dont know of the mainland and the Org and Asarakam that its hard to back anything up.

i really hope we get to that mainland.i wanna see who wins the war lol.

i really feel bad for the Organization they are doing their best to not lose a war in which they are out gunned. i really hope it turns out that the other side(Asarakam/dragon-kin) are the evil ones and by "destroying the org on the island" they have doomed the island to be destroyed and its inhabitants eaten by the DoD.

On that note there are humans who fight for the Dod right? like there side is made up of Asarakam/awakened form(DoD), and Humans?
    "Keep Eating Shit For The Rest Of Your Life " - 愛憎のロクサーヌ- Roxanne of Love and Hate

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by number12michael View Post
    if the dragon kin has bones that cannot break or dent(as miria said the sword has never broken and shows no signs of diminishing) then it would be near impossible to kill them as there bones would be indestructible.
    it was probably made by using a ore/material that is found on the mainland, and probably controlled by the Organizations side.(I.E. their is one big mine of this stuff and its on the Orgs side) but there is so much we dont know of the mainland and the Org and Asarakam that its hard to back anything up.

i really hope we get to that mainland.i wanna see who wins the war lol.

i really feel bad for the Organization they are doing their best to not lose a war in which they are out gunned. i really hope it turns out that the other side(Asarakam/dragon-kin) are the evil ones and by "destroying the org on the island" they have doomed the island to be destroyed and its inhabitants eaten by the DoD.

On that note there are humans who fight for the Dod right? like there side is made up of Asarakam/awakened form(DoD), and Humans?
    yeah their bones may be indestructible but that does not mean their organs are. think about it, if you are going to kill an animal. would you shoot its knees out or its heart? if the dragon kin die, their flesh will disappear fast. however, what if they took the bone from one that was still alive. then used a method to preserve it. this would explain how priss would be able to assimilate the weapon.

New Reply