Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply

Thread: Advice needed on being a mangaka

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member hunterzero785's Avatar
    Country
    American Samoa
    Post Thanks / Like

Frown Advice needed on being a mangaka

Ok, so I have some ideas for a manga I want to make, but am not sure what must be done... first: I can semi draw my charaters but haven't mastered body proportions yet. second: I have ideas of what clothing they should wear but I'm afraid of plagiarizing things, and I don't want to accidentily copy someone else's work. I want to be original third:I can't draw backgrounds very well, and I'm also not sure how to draw character actions, like a rolling, dancing or etc character :/ I'm also not sure how to shade a character. I would want to work with an artist, but I don't want my characters to look too different....is it possible to find an artist who can draw characters almost accurately? like maybe their style is different but will the characters still look the same? if anyone can answer to this I'd be very thankful! please give me some advice

MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice needed on being a mangaka

16? You're still young, so all I can say is practise, practise, practise. Don't worry about how good your art is, just draw the manga. From start to finish. You'll improve with every chapter. Draw, draw, draw. You can also copy poses from popular mangaka. Not only poses, whole drawings. Doesn't mean that you have to steal their ideas, but it's good for practising.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    American Samoa
    Post Thanks / Like

ok well I'm actually turning 17 this month lol but I've already drawn out 17 pages of my first chapter I'm not sure how to make it look proffesional, but my siblings tell me that I'm very talented and like my story so far, I don't intend on stealing ideas form anyone, I'm trying to be as original as possible but when I draw other manga characters like naruto and so on I feel like my own art style degrades... and I can't draw naruto as fast as one of my characters...so I've only been focusing on how to draw my characters :/ is that a good or bad thing?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member DoctorApollo's Avatar
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    and I can't draw naruto as fast as one of my characters...so I've only been focusing on how to draw my characters :/ is that a good or bad thing?
    If your characters' body proportions and whatever is off, then you might be reteaching yourself bad strategies and then cementing those strategies in your brain. Drawing professional manga characters might be harder for you because the work you end up creating is of a higher quality. Regardless, there's absolutely no harm in drawing, so even if you only draw your characters, just draw and draw and draw.

Aside from the fact that Japanese culture really loves hard work, the reason that many manga advertise hard work as this golden value is because manga artists especially value hard work. Why? Because without it, they wouldn't have gotten there. Working and practicing is more important than any natural talent you may or may not have.

Another piece of advice I have is that you should really learn to criticize your own work and see the flaws in it, since that is the only way you can improve. Subconsciously improving everything by drawing over and over is certainly good, yes, but you can progress faster by really trying to learn what it is that can look better, and how you can make it look better. (for this part it is very helpful to look at professional work, and see how they do it, etc.)

All in all, there's really not much you can do wrong if you keep drawing. The only wrong you can do is slack off!

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    American Samoa
    Post Thanks / Like

ok! thanks for your help! ^_^ just wanna know one more thing. is there a limit to how many panels you can have per page?

MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hunterzero785 View Post
    ok! thanks for your help! ^_^ just wanna know one more thing. is there a limit to how many panels you can have per page?
    Haha no, there isn't. As long as it's understandable/readable you can squeeze in as many panels as you like.
    Also, don't be afraid of other styles influencing your own. It's a good thing! You mentioned Naruto. The artist, Masashi Kishimoto, was influenced by Otomo (was it?) from Akira. At the beginning it looked like an ugly ripp-off. However, as you can see, Kishimoto is a great artist with his very own style.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    American Samoa
    Post Thanks / Like

ok cool! thanks for all your help

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

keep working hard! i'm 15 and only a webcomic artist but all i can say is get practice! working as a "staff" member if you can! working under a more experienced amateur can really help! working hard is huge and never giving up! it can be discouraging sometimes because being a mangaka is not easy! but just keep working hard on it! you get better the more you draw as you must surely know!

New Reply