Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 761 by cnet128 , Bleach 597 (2)
New Reply

Thread: about the two kids

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member zzigg's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

Question about the two kids

i found it interesting it's about the friendship between gon and killua ...and if it's really a normal friendship?

spoiler chimear ant
    imparted

Sure, we got hints here and there, but it is in this arc that the shit really hits the fan, starting with the dodgeball game. Gon states that he wants to crush his enemy, and the way he convinces Killua is through a blunt jab at his pride; you could almost say Killua wasn’t so much convinced as forcibly brought along with whatever Gon had in mind. And what he had in mind, of course, was his special attack. Said attack ends up horribly injuring Killua, who needed to hold the ball for him, and after this is pointed out to him, he says he knew all along, and that none other than Killua do it. Killua is touched — but is this really an expression of friendship?

And later, it happens again: Killua points out in two different situations, once as a gag, once seriously, that Gon just does whatever the hell he wants, and leaves Killua to deal with the aftermath — and even this is denied him when Gon, in his anger, disregards his involvement and commitment to the him and to the real mission. Killua is devastated; he spent the whole Chimera Ant arc figuring out his feelings for Gon, proving that they were stronger even than the control his family had over him, helping Gon in every way he could, even when, indeed, it did not have that much to do with him. Killua was the one who sacrificed everything, not Gon; what Gon did to defeat Pitou, was to once again leave Killua to deal with the aftermath.

So what does it all mean? Gon is an excellent character, and I am interested in seeing where his development will go; yet, I don’t actually like him, because his flaws are dangerous and go mostly unnoticed. At least, they seem to be catching up to him now… I think his friendship with Killua has changed in some way, and while he walked away scot-free from the price he should have paid for that transformation, it seems to me things won’t be going so smoothly for him in the next arc.

I wonder, will he and Gyro end up being not so different after all? Considering his lack of a moral compass was several times pointed out as dangerous, with Biscuit even going so far as to say it could be his downfall, I do not doubt it.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zasz's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: about the two kids

What is written is somewhat true (I'm talking about Killua dealing with the aftermath), but I think that the two of them are bounded by a sincere friendship.
    Thus I think that Gon, more than being a douchebag, he is simply reckless, which in my opinion is the adjective that describes him perfectly.

3. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

They are friends but Gon acts a a jerk sometimes.When he is decided nobody can stop him(excepted maybe Kaito) but for Killua it's to another level,IMO Killua thinks that if he annoys Gon,he won't be his friend anymore.For example,
    Spoiler show
    at least he did the good choice at the end.

I think Gon has more influence on Killua than Illumi,angry Gon scares Killua.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_25.gif

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kindredxiuxiu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Chimera Ant Arc Spoiler Warning - spoilers ahead

I think it's a normal friendship (ignoring reality here, of course).

I like Gon, and I don't want anyone to think I'm bashing him here, but at times he can be a selfish bastard that is either oblivious or disregards others feelings when he's focused. We all know that Gon has an unwavering determination and focus when he's angry, and as we saw in the Ant Arc, he exploded against Pitou. I know a lot of fans reference his attitude towards Komugi when Pitou was healing her as Gon not caring about other people, but that's also a result of him being very focused. When he's focused, he becomes reckless and pretty much ignores any consequences that may come forth and anything going on around him. He's not dumb by any means, but it's like his willpower and determination puts a veil over his eyes and channels them towards his goal--and only his goal.

This is why he needs another person there to keep him grounded, so to say. This is probably one of many reasons why Killua didn't bring him with when he was trying to interfere with the selection. Overall, I think Gon's actions during this arc specifically, and especially seeing their repercussions, may have softened his recklessness a little, but I don't think he's gotten rid of all of it (I mean, this is one of Gon's fundamental traits--you can't get rid of it that easily).

As for Killua, Gon's always going to be his best friend, but I think he was genuinely pissed when he had to save Gon during the election arc. I definitely still think they're friends, but it's pretty clear he doesn't want to travel with Gon at the moment. He's found something to do, but he also needs a break.

As for their friendship. I've always believed that the two view it differently. Killua's always been around his family and thus hasn't really had someone he can call a friend. He's always wanted that, and he has it in Gon. In Killua's world, there's Gon and everyone else. Well, now it's Alluka, Gon, and then everyone else. Gon, on the other hand, I see as the more charismatic and likeable one. Killua is his best friend, but he also has other friends and comrades. Gon and Killua may be each other's "first friends" (similar ages), but I see Gon as being much more accepting and open of other people into his circle than Killua is (unless you literally save his life like Ikarugo).

Both of them have definitely changed, even a little bit, after the Chimera Ant debacle. It'd be interested to see how their friendship progresses in future chapters (although I don't think we'll see Killua for a while now).
    Last edited by kindredxiuxiu; April 11, 2013 at 05:48 PM.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Riruru's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

souhail, you wrote your review on another site right? I remember reading it somewhere else. I'm just mentioning this because one thing I found the most interesting that you pointed out there but not here is that Gon and Killua's friendship regressed back to what it was in the Hunter Exam and Heavens Arena. Personally I think their relationship was at its healthiest in those two arcs. It was starting from York New which hints of Gon's supposed control over Killua really started coming out. I may be alone in saying that whatever is going on between them now is for the better.

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GingFuriksu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think what some people forget to remember is that Gon is just a kid. 12-13 years old. Of course he's gonna be arrogant, want to get what he wants, wants shit his way, etc. Also not to mention that he's an Enhancer which makes it even worse. And another thing I really like about Gon AND Gings character is that they're TRUE hunters. They're both selfish as hell.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    souhail, you wrote your review on another site right? I remember reading it somewhere else. I'm just mentioning this because one thing I found the most interesting that you pointed out there but not here is that Gon and Killua's friendship regressed back to what it was in the Hunter Exam and Heavens Arena. Personally I think their relationship was at its healthiest in those two arcs. It was starting from York New which hints of Gon's supposed control over Killua really started coming out. I may be alone in saying that whatever is going on between them now is for the better.
    If you mean them going their separate ways, I agree with you. I think it's time they venture out on their own and get some space from each other to deal with their own things. During their goodbye moments, you can definitely see the strain in their friendship. I think both boys matured in their own way after the ants. During Hunter Exam and Heaven's Arena, you see Killua as independent from Gon (or even giving Gon something to do until Yorknew). Once they're in Yorknew and beyond, it's clear that Killua's sacrificing a lot for Gon.

It's really interesting to see their friendship progress throughout the series like this.

Quote Quote:
    I think what some people forget to remember is that Gon is just a kid. 12-13 years old. Of course he's gonna be arrogant, want to get what he wants, wants shit his way, etc. Also not to mention that he's an Enhancer which makes it even worse. And another thing I really like about Gon AND Gings character is that they're TRUE hunters. They're both selfish as hell.
    That's true. And Killua's not that different, either. You really only see his selfishness come out when he wants Gon all to himself, though. I think overall, Gon has a stronger drive to become a Hunter. Killua, not so much.
    Last edited by kindredxiuxiu; April 12, 2013 at 06:48 AM.

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member zzigg's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Riruru View Post

actually i imparted it..
    cuz i found this topic really interesting to discuss .and the forum is sleepy these days

you mean the one that said ....Afterwards, Killua decides he can’t forgive Gon this time around. But he still deals with the aftermath, he still gets in a whole heap of trouble to save his friend. Gon expresses his regret, and apologies are made off-screen; when we get to see them together again, things are different. Gon and Killua seem to have regressed their friendship back to what it was during the Hunter Exam, or perhaps the Heavens Arena arc. Everything seems to be cordial, and nothing more. Killua says he will be traveling with and protecting Alluka from now on, and thanks Gon for the fact that having Alluka at his side was a result of traveling with Gon, but the two exchange their farewells with a simple “see you later” — both grimacing.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Killua and Gon isn't really a friendship. It's basically just the poor kid (Killua) doing whatever he can to befriend the cool kid (Gon), even though there's no reason to believe Killua should be the 'poor kid', he certainly sees himself as having no friends (probably due to his heritage). I mean way back we see Killua tried to befriend Canary but was rejected. How can Canary possibly be worse than Gon if she agreed to be his friend? The separation was more like Killua coming to his senses and realize that he's not alone and there's really no reason he has to suffer Gon's reckless behavior.

Way back at the beginning Killua says he envies Gon because Gon knows what he wants to do and he does not, and that's why he followed Gon while he's trying to figure out what he wants to do. And that's basically the entire basis of their friendship, that Killua thinks by being next to Gon he'd eventually find a direction in life, which turns out to be wrong anyway. The fact these two are friends is basically an accident, though it doesn't mean it's a bad friendship or anything. At the end of the Hunter Exam, Killua said he wanted to be friends with Gon and Ilumi said Killua doesn't deserve friends and so on. If instead Ilumi just pulled the needle out, Killua would've just gone home and he certainly isn't going anywhere with Gon.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kindredxiuxiu View Post
    If you mean them going their separate ways, I agree with you. I think it's time they venture out on their own and get some space from each other to deal with their own things. During their goodbye moments, you can definitely see the strain in their friendship. I think both boys matured in their own way after the ants. During Hunter Exam and Heaven's Arena, you see Killua as independent from Gon (or even giving Gon something to do until Yorknew). Once they're in Yorknew and beyond, it's clear that Killua's sacrificing a lot for Gon.
    If you remember in Heavens' Arena, Killua did give up a (two?) month of training just because Gon was too selfish to wait to test his powers. But I see a clear difference between that and say, during Greed Island when he wrecked his hands. Killua made that decision on his own and didn't try to hide it from Gon. Plus Gon never bringing it up implies he was probably expecting Killua to go on without him. To me that was the healthiest mutual sign of friendship. Back then there was a wall between them. A good stable wall that both knew when not to cross with each other. And they were fine with this wall and were great friends anyway. After what happened in Ants I'm inclined to believe it's back up again.

Though, I don't know if them physically separating is for the better. They could've repaired whatever strain they had staying together or being apart; it depends on Gon and Killua themselves. But their friendship isn't ruined. It was foreshadowed that one day Killua would go back to traveling with Gon again, and that's all we need to know as proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    Killua and Gon isn't really a friendship. It's basically just the poor kid (Killua) doing whatever he can to befriend the cool kid (Gon), even though there's no reason to believe Killua should be the 'poor kid', he certainly sees himself as having no friends (probably due to his heritage). I mean way back we see Killua tried to befriend Canary but was rejected. How can Canary possibly be worse than Gon if she agreed to be his friend? The separation was more like Killua coming to his senses and realize that he's not alone and there's really no reason he has to suffer Gon's reckless behavior.

Way back at the beginning Killua says he envies Gon because Gon knows what he wants to do and he does not, and that's why he followed Gon while he's trying to figure out what he wants to do. And that's basically the entire basis of their friendship, that Killua thinks by being next to Gon he'd eventually find a direction in life, which turns out to be wrong anyway. The fact these two are friends is basically an accident, though it doesn't mean it's a bad friendship or anything. At the end of the Hunter Exam, Killua said he wanted to be friends with Gon and Ilumi said Killua doesn't deserve friends and so on. If instead Ilumi just pulled the needle out, Killua would've just gone home and he certainly isn't going anywhere with Gon.
    Sure Gon is reckless. It's been pointed out as nothing but a negative aspect of his personality since Greed Island. But don't forget it was that recklessness that had him storm into a mansion filled with assassins just to get Killua back. That same recklessness also shown in the Hunter Exam that Killua spoke of so fondly to Silva and ultimately fueled his growing urge to give up his career to be a Hunter. Gon is a double-edged sword in many ways. And if you think Killua was just using Gon as a distraction for his lack of friends just to permanently cut their ties because he couldn't deal with the blade, I think you're really undermining him. That's about as OOC as it gets.

It's certainly not a great standpoint to base everything you assume on just one/two arc(s). That's the biggest flaw I see when HxH fans these days are asked what they think about Gon and Killua's friendship. One bad time apparently ruins the truckload of good ones they had together. And now we're even going off on tangents saying they were never real friends. Which, if HxH as a manga was going anywhere, is complete bull.

And no. If Illumi just pulled the needle out Killua would've as Leorio put it: "kick his ass like he normally does".
    Last edited by Riruru; April 13, 2013 at 02:59 PM.

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Without the needle Killua would just go home and take care of Alluka first and the whole adventure with Gon would never have happened because he obviously cares for Alluka more than Gon.

Gon's recklessness would be like if you've a friend who was constantly drunk or whatever, you might say that's what makes him unique but it sure isn't a positive quality. Killua basically idolizes Gon simply because of the fact that he has no friends. You honestly would not want to be too close to a guy like Gon if you are a normal guy. Even without considering the fact that he's likely to get you killed, he's just a hard person to get along with. When Gon and Killua were captured, Gon said it's okay for him to talk about dying but not Killua, and Nobunaga said there's no point to argue with a Reinforcement user. And that's basically Gon's attitude: I am a Reinforcement user so you must listen to me. When Meleoron joined he asked if his friends will trust him and Gon says Killua probably won't but if he insists he'll relent. It's always Gon's way or no way unless you've extremely strong proof to convince him otherwise, and it's not like Gon is known for leadership skills. If Kuroro says it's his way or no way at least he has the credentials to back up such arrogance. Gon's way would often get yourself killed if you don't happen to be the main character of HXH.

The April Fool's forum title has HXH as Gon X Killua but that's actually pretty close to describing the relationship. It's not really anything based on rational or even friendship. It's far closer to love in the sense Killua was putting up with things nobody should have to put up so it can only be explained as blind love. That's not to say Gon wouldn't take a bullet for Killua but Killua is pretty sensitive to his emotional needs and we see Gon repeatedly tramples on that throughout their friendship.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

So you honestly think without the needle, Killua would've never run away from home, never taken the Hunter Exam because he was bored, never met Gon and the others and like them, never decide in the end that he wants to be Gon's friend, and never quit being an assassin? Wait until the league of rabid Killua fangirls find out his character has been driven by a pin this whole time.

Being reckless is nothing like being drunk. Recklessness can be just as much of a positive aspect as a negative one depending on the circumstances. It's just that you're making the mistake a lot of HxH fans do by only looking at the Ant arc and thinking Gon is the worst person in the world. Gon didn't even know what Killua was going through. Because Killua never told him. And other than being reckless by risking his life without thinking of what the others would feel, all he did was shut Killua out in a moment of instability. Killua did the exact same thing back in the Hunter Exam when he killed Bodoro then went home. But you don't see anyone calling him out on it. The difference was Gon fixed it before it went in any bad directions. Then of course in York New when Killua insisted on getting himself killed for Gon paralleled Gon almost dying in the Election Arc for Kite. Point is, both Gon and Killua have had their turns jabbing at their friendship. It isn't only one way. That's the reason why it's strong in the first place.

But let's step away from Gon for a second. I'm interested in why you insist Killua is basically the worst best friend in the world when it's the complete opposite.
    Last edited by Riruru; April 13, 2013 at 06:00 PM.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, that makes obvious that Gon is the top.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    If you remember in Heavens' Arena, Killua did give up a (two?) month of training just because Gon was too selfish to wait to test his powers. But I see a clear difference between that and say, during Greed Island when he wrecked his hands. Killua made that decision on his own and didn't try to hide it from Gon. Plus Gon never bringing it up implies he was probably expecting Killua to go on without him. To me that was the healthiest mutual sign of friendship. Back then there was a wall between them. A good stable wall that both knew when not to cross with each other. And they were fine with this wall and were great friends anyway. After what happened in Ants I'm inclined to believe it's back up again.
    I think it's back up again, and I think Gon is sincerely sorry for what's done. Their friendship isn't ruined, and I'm not implying as such, but I think Killua is more eager to leave and do his own thing with Alluka than Gon was during their separation. If you look at their actions and dialogue, Gon wanted to spend more time with Killua and have him meet his dad, and Killua was like "nah, Alluka's my number one, I'm going to go with her". Gon was prolonging the good bye where Killua was kinda like "yeah... we should go now". This where I get the impression that Killua is still a little put off by what happened although they obviously still are best friends. They will likely reunite and travel again under some circumstances.

Quote Quote:
    Well, that makes obvious that Gon is the top.
    Oh you.

New Reply